Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199496 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #713: Apr 21, 2016 10:56:39 am
      Best delivery in the country at the minute! On both feet, too.

My fantasy team thanks you, Jimmy :D

as long as the ball is moving his dead ball delivery is still terrible. He is a player who should just rely on instinct because its when he tries to conjour up something it all goes wrong . lets hope his form continues because when he plays well we seem to do well
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #714: Apr 21, 2016 07:12:23 pm
      There aren't many in the league who can tee up a decent cross with their weaker foot but I reckon Milner must have laid on at least three goals this season with absolutely peachy left foot crosses. It's tough to stop crosses from players when they are a threat with both feet and he doesn't half put in a beautiful cross. It's great to watch because crossing the ball is a bit of dying art with the way the game has developed in recent years. It's right that his set pieces are not the best but he can't half cross a moving ball.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #715: Apr 21, 2016 07:23:04 pm
      There aren't many in the league who can tee up a decent cross with their weaker foot but I reckon Milner must have laid on at least three goals this season with absolutely peachy left foot crosses. It's tough to stop crosses from players when they are a threat with both feet and he doesn't half put in a beautiful cross. It's great to watch because crossing the ball is a bit of dying art with the way the game has developed in recent years. It's right that his set pieces are not the best but he can't half cross a moving ball.

Love the old school raising hands in the air before he takes the dead ball.

What a season for this man.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #716: Apr 21, 2016 07:58:23 pm

:laugh:

Jürgen's praise, of James, when he initially took over was absolutely glowing.

It was at that point I began to realise it would probably be best if all James' detractors (those who mock/ridicule) just shut - the - F**k - up; 'cause Jürgen knows more than me, you see. Some of them couldn't F**k up and now James is 'the mutts nuts'. Quick question: now that James is the hipster's choice; does that mean they have elevated his status to "Definitely a Transfer Committee signing"?  :laugh:

Yet another great game last night and as predicted (by many people BR, Ste and Luis inc') the experience and the consistency which comes with a player like James has been (and will be) invaluable. As most footballing folk will tell you - 'never underestimate experience'.

Well in James.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #717: Apr 22, 2016 01:30:38 am
      I expect we'll get people taking the p!ss out of this signing (our own fans I mean) but I am over the moon with it. He will instantly become one of our best players IMHO, prepare to be very surprised if you don't rate him.

Mick may just know what he's talking about...first Lovren, now Milner....

Who should we get next lad? ;D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #718: Apr 22, 2016 02:56:10 am
      You love an "I told you so" don't you?

Then go in the Klopp thread trying to laugh and point out those that allegedly do the same according to you.

You must be the biggest hypocrite on this forum.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #719: Apr 22, 2016 06:51:23 am
      Use your left foot James and things mightn't go astray, corners may always be sh*t and he shouldn't get first dibs on everything ever... no more corners from him, I do really hope that, not going to idolise him but keep on being the assist machine thanks. Is it because he isn't a glamorous player or is it because he is a pleb in interviews? No, I have an issue with him that maybe I shouldn't because when we signed him I thought this is a great move but he is getting paid handsomely, his wages are more than Gerrard was on? Correct me if I'm wrong. He's redeemed himself purely on his assist ratio (pretty immense really, not complaining) but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie about how any times I hold my head watching his many F**k ups.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #720: Apr 22, 2016 11:02:49 pm
      Use your left foot James and things mightn't go astray, corners may always be sh*t and he shouldn't get first dibs on everything ever... no more corners from him, I do really hope that, not going to idolise him but keep on being the assist machine thanks. Is it because he isn't a glamorous player or is it because he is a pleb in interviews? No, I have an issue with him that maybe I shouldn't because when we signed him I thought this is a great move but he is getting paid handsomely, his wages are more than Gerrard was on? Correct me if I'm wrong. He's redeemed himself purely on his assist ratio (pretty immense really, not complaining) but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie about how any times I hold my head watching his many f**k ups.

What a feckin dildo of a post
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #721: May 05, 2016 10:37:04 pm
      James Milner is getting better the longer the season goes on. Been key in this European run, great again tonight.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #722: May 05, 2016 11:24:38 pm
      James Milner is getting better the longer the season goes on. Been key in this European run, great again tonight.

I think he genuinely sets the tone early in the game. Chases everything down, positive direct play and actually wants the ball.

Love him.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #723: May 05, 2016 11:28:51 pm
      He is the very definition of professionalism.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #724: May 06, 2016 12:12:18 am
      Has been worth every penny of his wage packet IMHO. Brilliant attitude and a top player too.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #725: May 06, 2016 12:13:35 am
      Has been worth every penny of his wage packet IMHO. Brilliant attitude and a top player too.

Agree mate, no if's & but's, just gets on with it...

I love his industry... Very Kuyt like.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #726: May 06, 2016 12:15:59 am

He is what they would call over here a Pro's pro.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #727: May 06, 2016 12:20:01 am

Yep I get the Kuyt comparisons. Obviously doesn't score as many as Dirk, but works as hard, is just as ugly and has the same tendency to occasionally look like a pub player. Most obvious though is that like Kuyt, the team looks better when he's in it.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #728: May 06, 2016 12:33:09 am
      Jimmy always gives his 100% which is not always pretty but he is effective.

And the issue here is we have a Captain with similar attributes. Both on the pitch at the same time doesn't work against the top teams so a real dilemma
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #729: May 07, 2016 04:23:27 am
      The last few weeks he has been absolutely fundamental to our success in Europe.
      He has played like a mad man. So energized and smart with his play.
      Got to say I a extremely pleased as I was one who was very glad that we signed him.
      He had a dodgy period and being moved around different positions by Rodgers didn't help but due to a few injuries and some great form he has absolutely shown himself to be a lion heart of a player and captain.
      Picturing him raising the Europa cup is incredibly considering how much he was derided by so many on this forum.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #730: May 07, 2016 07:28:41 am
      Think we need to rename him Dracula, he wasn't good with crosses either  ;D

YNWA
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #731: May 07, 2016 09:42:43 pm
      Can we just admit now that he's been a great signing? Without him, we wouldn't be in the Europa League final.

Done the dirty work, has given us tough resilience and has often provided the killer ball.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #732: May 07, 2016 09:47:16 pm
      Can we just admit now that he's been a great signing? Without him, we wouldn't be in the Europa League final.

Done the dirty work, has given us tough resilience and has often provided the killer ball.

I do agree that he's been a very good signing but you could say that part in bold about most of our squad.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #733: May 07, 2016 11:31:29 pm
      I do agree that he's been a very good signing but you could say that part in bold about most of our squad.

Indeed it's not like Jimmy has been jinking past a couple of players with a drop of the shoulder and thundering them into the top corner.
      But there again that's never been Milner he is a team player where his deficiencies are masked but also his attributes can be appreciated.

ps: As long as he doesn't play as a CM  :D

Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #734: Jun 01, 2016 06:05:37 pm
      MILNER RANKED FIFTH BEST PLAYER AT EURO 2016 BY UEFA

The Liverpool midfielder is above players such as Gareth Bale and Sergio Ramos in the rankings despite not being guaranteed a place in Roy Hodgson's starting XI.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Zlatan Ibrahimovic are Uefa's top-ranked players going into Euro 2016, while England's James Milner is a surprise inclusion in the top five.

Uefa explains that the player barometer for the tournament "tracks players' form in the build-up to and during the tournament through official player statistics and a specially designed algorithm".

The pre-tournament statistics are based on performances for club and country since the start of January and stats are weighted depending on the quality of the opposition they have faced.

Once the Euros get under way, displays in France will generate a higher priority in deciding upon the rankings to ensure the stars of the event feature highly in the list.

Real Madrid and Portugal star Ronaldo sits top of Uefa's list going into the month of June, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic in second. Two France players – Antoine Griezmann and Dimitri Payet – are third and fourth, with Milner sitting in fifth position and Koke sixth.
      Milner's inclusion alongside stars of the world game may come as a surprise, but Uefa points out he had seven assists in a four-game span during April and created 30 goalscoring chances in his last nine appearances.

Manuel Neuer (14th) is the top-rated goalkeeper, Juanfran (10th) is the highest full-back and Sergio Ramos (seventh) is the top centre-back after his goal in the Champions League final.

Bruno Soriano (12th) of Spain is the highest-ranked defensive midfielder, with Milner and Koke topping Toni Kroos (ninth) in the central midfield category and Payet on top of the attacking midfield group ahead of Marek Hamsik (11th).

Griezmann heads Thomas Muller (31st) in the list of players defined as wingers, with Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Gareth Bale (13th) the three highest in the forwards' list.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #735: Jun 01, 2016 07:45:43 pm
      That's the thing with UEFA rankings, you never know what they're going to throw up. The difficulty is if you disregard one, it kind of follows that it looks a bit bollocks if you put much stock in others.

Me, I like a bit of consistency. All UEFA rankings are bollocks. I like James Milner, but he's no more the 5th best player at the tournament and a better player than Gareth Bale than I am, total nonsense.

Quick Reply