Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 200837 times
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #736: Jun 01, 2016 08:00:09 pm
      To be honest, I'm surprised that he is top five at any statistical category. Hope our TC doesn't evaluate potential targets with similar parameters as UEFA. ;)
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2016 08:10:16 pm by Red John »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #737: Jun 01, 2016 08:12:20 pm
      To be honest, I'm surprised that he is top five at any statistical category. Hope our TC doesn't evaluate potential targets with similar parameters as UEFA. ;)

You can guarantee that Milner will now be made captain and given a 100% pay rise :D
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #738: Jun 01, 2016 08:14:41 pm
      You can guarantee that Milner will now be made captain and given a 100% pay rise :D

Good point. :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #739: Jul 31, 2016 12:17:16 pm
      Good lad Millie  :gt-happyup:

Milner tells Liverpool boss Klopp: I'm happy to be Mr Versatile this season.

22:30, 30 Jul 2016
          By James Pearce

The team comes first for Reds vice captain.

James Milner has told JĆ¼rgen Klopp that heā€™s happy to be Liverpoolā€™s Mr Versatile this season as he insisted: ā€œThe team comes first.ā€

The Reds vice-captain confirmed that Klopp has asked him to fill in at full-back at times this season.

It emerged earlier this week that the manager might not sign another left-back during the current transfer window after missing out on Leicesterā€™s Ben Chilwell as he believes the experienced midfielder can provide cover for Alberto Moreno.

ā€œThe manager pulled me at the start,ā€ Milner said.  ā€œHeā€™s obviously looked at his squad and what players he has.  Heā€™s asked if I was willing to cover the full-back positions, basically, if there was a point in the season where there were injuries or like at Man United last season in the Europa League when I played left back.  We had a conversation about it and I told him itā€™s not my favourite position and not one I particularly like playing, but heā€™s the manager and if he wants me to play there, Iā€™ll play there.  The team comes first, always has, always will." 

Thatā€™s a typically selfless approach from Milner, who chipped in with seven goals and 14 assists during his first season with the Reds after joining from Manchester City on a free transfer.

Part of the attraction of signing for Liverpool a year ago was Brendan Rodgersā€™ promise of a central midfield role.  Under Klopp, he was shifted out wide last season and he accepts the landscape has changed.

ā€œThatā€™s football,ā€ he said.  "Throughout my career you have to play in different positions.  Iā€™m sure things will come up during the season and there will be injuries and suspensions in all the positions, and Iā€™m probably a good player for a manager to have because I fill in in a number of positions.  It looks like I have added two more to the reel as well. Iā€™m just looking for goalkeeper now to complete the set!  Itā€™s the the only one, yeah.  Itā€™s like hunting Pokemon - itā€™s the only one I need!  Like I said to the manager, I donā€™t like playing there but I will give you the best that I can and if thatā€™s needed I will play there."

ā€œWe do have a lot less games this year with no Europe, so that will be slightly different as well, but I am confident that given the game time I can perform in whatever position the manager puts me in and still fight for a place in that midfield as well.  But, ultimately, where the manager picks me I will go out there and do as well as I can.ā€

Milner clocked up 45 appearances for the Reds last season and relished being a key figure after life on the periphery at Manchester City.  The 30-year-old came agonising close to lifting some silverware as the Reds fell short in the final of both the League Cup and the Europa League.  Now he wants to help ensure that Kloppā€™s revamped squad kick on in 2016/17.

ā€œWhen I moved I wanted to play football,ā€ Milner added.  ā€œThatā€™s what it is all about.  You get nothing for training really, the amount of sessions you do throughout your career, ultimately it means nothing, itā€™s to prepare you for that game day.  I have still got a lot of years left touch wood, I am only 30."

ā€œI want to look back and think I have done as much as I can and played as much football as I can.  I was playing 25 games (per season) at City which is not a small amount but I just felt like I wanted to be involved that little bit more.  It wasnā€™t just about that as well.  We know how big a club Liverpool is.  I probably have not won as much as I would have liked to over the years, I said that when I joined.  We gave ourselves those two opportunities last year and didnā€™t quite take them so that was disappointing.  I was pleased in another way that the move worked out the way Iā€™d hoped in that we were in with a chance of winning silverware.  Thatā€™s ultimately what the game is about.ā€
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #740: Aug 02, 2016 12:07:00 am
      Wouldn't have expected any different from James Milner.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #741: Aug 02, 2016 11:07:03 am
      Wouldn't have expected any different from James Milner.

Me neither.

Great pro.

By the way 7 goals and 14 assists is not to shabby for last season and I didn't realise his figures were that high.

If that was someone signed from the continent there would have been a lot more noise made about that on here.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #742: Aug 02, 2016 12:14:25 pm
      I'm really liking Milner as LB, offers so much more than Moreno going forwards plus knows how to defend.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #743: Aug 02, 2016 12:16:53 pm
      I would never have signed him as I never rated him but even his harshest critic would have to accept he was brilliant for us last season .
      Not sure if he is fullback material though.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #744: Aug 02, 2016 12:34:16 pm
      Not sure if he is fullback material though.

I agree. One or two games filling in, np, but in a season long campaign, I have doubts.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #745: Aug 02, 2016 12:55:00 pm
      I'm really liking Milner as LB, offers so much more than Moreno going forwards plus knows how to defend.

Didn't see the game this morning yet but I remember him playing there on a couple of occasions last season. Obviously not from the start of a game but when we've needed to introduce more attackers he's slotted in and gave a very decent account of himself.

It's odd because the one place Milner wants to play I think is his weakest position. Out wide right or LB I'm perfectly happy to see him in the starting XI, just not central midfield.

Don't get me wrong I'd prefer to see someone come in and drop Moreno down to back-up but if JĆ¼rgen thinks there's not a player out there that's a sufficient enough of an improvement then so be it. We're hardly going to be over-run with games and Klavan can do a job there, Clyne at a push so we do have 'cover' I think the main bone of contention is who we're going to war with as the starter.

In Moreno's defence after AussieRed posted the chances created in his thread it made a few people sit up and take notice, myself included. Always thought he'd done decent in attack and it was his defending that clearly needed work on but I wasn't aware he'd done quite that well, so there is logic in JĆ¼rgen's thinking as usual.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #746: Aug 02, 2016 07:49:57 pm
      By the way 7 goals and 14 assists is not to shabby for last season and I didn't realise his figures were that high.

Same. Got off to a rocky start but come the New Year he was a lot better.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #747: Aug 02, 2016 10:39:36 pm
      Didn't see the game this morning yet but I remember him playing there on a couple of occasions last season. Obviously not from the start of a game but when we've needed to introduce more attackers he's slotted in and gave a very decent account of himself.

Did it at Wembley, when Klopp subbed Moreno in the second half.

Quitting international football as well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #748: Aug 02, 2016 10:44:17 pm
      Quitting international football as well.

Good lad
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,170 posts | 6344 
      Reply #749: Aug 02, 2016 11:34:10 pm
      Good man to have around the squad. Would like for him to be captain over Henderson if Klopp doesn't already have someone else in mind.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #750: Aug 02, 2016 11:37:59 pm
      Good man to have around the squad. Would like for him to be captain over Henderson if Klopp doesn't already have someone else in mind.

Think someone who is a more guaranteed starter is more likely to get captain. It will be interesting to see which way it goes because Lovren was looking like in with a shout but I think out of all our central defenders in pre-season he's been the most likely to be dropped on form.

Can would be one shout as I think he'll play every time he's fit enough to but he's a little young and therefore perhaps not mature enough for that role yet.

If I had to bet I'd put my money on Emre but I certainly wouldn't be very confident in that selection.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #751: Aug 03, 2016 02:36:53 am
      Can would be one shout as I think he'll play every time he's fit enough to but he's a little young and therefore perhaps not mature enough for that role yet.

About a year ago I would've said the same, I rate him highly, but I don't think he's ready for it.  Hasn't really shown the leadership qualities yet and I don't think it's a dead certainty that he's going to improve drastically.  Not saying that there are many better alternatives.  It's just that that's the pathetic position we find ourselves in, no real leaders on the team who are ALSO guaranteed starters. 

Back to Milner, I was really impressed with him against Roma.  I'd have him in all day over Moreno if we're stuck with those two options at left back when the season starts.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #752: Aug 03, 2016 08:18:44 am

Back to Milner, I was really impressed with him against Roma.  I'd have him in all day over Moreno if we're stuck with those two options at left back when the season starts.

Agreed . With not a new left back in sight it may have to be .

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #753: Aug 03, 2016 06:10:23 pm
      I would be happy to start the season with Milner as cover for left back. Give it till January and see how we go and if it doesn't fit then we can spunk ā‚¬20 million on Hector.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,170 posts | 6344 
      Reply #754: Aug 03, 2016 06:21:20 pm
      I would be happy to start the season with Milner as cover for left back. Give it till January and see how we go and if it doesn't fit then we can spunk ā‚¬20 million on Hector.

Except you won't be able to. The fee will be much more than that and if Klopp doesn't want to pay it now, i doubt he will pay it at that rate either.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #755: Aug 03, 2016 06:30:05 pm

I don't think you get it, Klopp doesn't rate Hector as a Ā£20m player. Anything that happens between now and January won't change that.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #756: Aug 04, 2016 08:51:43 am
      I like him. Contributes to the Liverpool cause (as per assists and goals last season).
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,534 posts | 3904 
      Reply #757: Aug 04, 2016 09:10:04 am
      I like him. Contributes to the Liverpool cause (as per assists and goals last season).

I agree, absolutely chips in with crucial assists and goals
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #758: Aug 04, 2016 09:35:51 am
      James is a fine footballer and a good pro - even when he's a round peg in a square hole [at left back] and even if some posters have "always" hated it when a manager tries to do that.

Lick, lick, kiss, kiss, slurrp slurrp...

You just gotta love JĆ¼rgen -  Baffling the 'Experts' since 2015...  Twisting My Melon Man.  :lmao:

Quick Reply