Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 201186 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #805: Oct 01, 2016 06:22:47 pm
      Who'd have thought he'd be one of the best left backs in the league....

JĆ¼rgen Klopp?

:D
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,327 posts | 181 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #806: Oct 01, 2016 10:01:47 pm
      That's a high quality plodder we found ourselves
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #807: Oct 02, 2016 06:05:54 am
      An absolute Pro!
      Our new Dirk Kuyt if u ask me.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #808: Oct 03, 2016 06:32:42 pm
      This guys a great LB ;D boy was i wrong ha
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #809: Oct 03, 2016 06:33:09 pm
      Keep it going Milner, he took Klopp's challenge to the maximum. Best left back in squad, sorry Moreno.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/782228082207973377

Play him up front!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #810: Oct 03, 2016 07:03:30 pm
      9h ago
      Milner: Klopp is different to anything I've experienced

David Lynch
      @LynchMDavid

James Milner says he has never worked with a manager quite like JĆ¼rgen Klopp before but believes the German's unique approach to tactics and touchline etiquette is starting to reap rewards at Liverpool.

The No.7 netted his fourth goal of the season - all of which have been penalties - on Saturday as he and his teammates came back from a goal down to defeat Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium.

That win ensured the Reds ended the latest round of Premier League fixtures inside the top four and just two points short of league leaders Manchester City going into the international break.

Liverpool are five points and as many league places better off than they were at this time last term - a clear indication of their steady improvement under Klopp.

And Milner is not surprised that the former Borussia Dortmund coach's philosophy is beginning to bear fruit.

"Every manager is different, they have their strengths and weaknesses," he said.

"But JĆ¼rgen is a top manager.  Definitely up there with one of the best Iā€™ve worked with.

"His organisation, his passion.  The sessions he does are different to anything else Iā€™ve ever experienced.

"It can only be a good thing.  You see his enthusiasm when heā€™s bouncing on the touchline.

"Heā€™s a top manager and hopefully we can go on and become very successful with him."

The foundations for Liverpool's strong start to the new season were laid during Klopp's first pre-season campaign at Anfield, according to Milner.

The 30-year-old expects things to keep getting better, too, thanks to the youthful nature of the squad at his manager's disposal.

"Heā€™s brought in his own players and heā€™s improved players who were already here," he continued.

"Heā€™s been able to work with us long enough to get his style across.  Everyone knows their jobs.

"We can still improve.  We know that and thatā€™s the pleasing thing.

"Last year we showed spells where we played the way we wanted but then we would look a completely different-looking side.

"But this season you could only say it was the first half at Swansea where we havenā€™t looked like we want.  That shows how everyone is coming on and it can only get better.

"Look at how young the squad is.  Iā€™m only 30 and Iā€™m pretty much one of the oldest.  Thatā€™s disappointing for me!  But itā€™s pleasing when you look at the youth and the potential here.

"We have a great squad of players.  Just look at the lads we had on the bench against Swansea and the other lads who didnā€™t even make the bench.  That shows the quality we have at the club."

Player Stats ā€” James Milner

General
          Attack
          Defence
          Distribution
          Discipline

General

Games Played

Minutes Played

Starts

Interceptions

Substitution On

Substitution Off

Duels Won
              45.2%
              45.2%

Aerial duels won
              40.9%
              40.9%

Reflecting on the win over Swansea specifically, Milner revealed that the players could sense their boss was unhappy with their first-half efforts.

But he credited a cool-headed half-time team talk for the Reds' second-half comeback in Wales.

"He can be emotional.  At Swansea he wasnā€™t so much waving his arms on the touchline as much as trying to hold in his anger.

"Big credit to him.  Even before the game he said the right things, we just didnā€™t perform.  At half-time he was very angry with the performance.

"We knew he was holding it in.  But he got the information across clearly and got us going again.  It would have been easy for him to just fly off the handle.  That wouldnā€™t have been very productive.  We know how emotional he is.

"He did a great job, said the right things and we came out and performed how we should."
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #811: Oct 19, 2016 04:20:26 pm
      I think he was brilliant against Utd.

Such a quality player
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #812: Nov 22, 2016 10:32:25 am
      Milner: Studying other left-backs would be pointless

The unique demands of playing at left-back for JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s Liverpool mean James Milner sees no reason to study how others fulfil the position for different clubs.

Kloppā€™s decision to deploy Milner in a new role this season has been rewarded by a series of classy, assured displays from the Redsā€™ vice-captain.

The No.7 has also contributed four goals in his 10 Premier League appearances this term - all from the penalty spot - and he feels that the bossā€™ style of play suits his understanding of what is required from the left-back berth.

ā€œFull-back is a position which changes massively depending on who the manager is. A left-back now is different to a left back 10 years ago and that is why I have not studied anyone,ā€ Milner told The Times.

ā€œIt would be pointless, and a left-back for JĆ¼rgen Klopp is going to be playing a lot different to a left-back for another manager.

ā€œI would find it harder playing left back for another manager in another system because JĆ¼rgen likes his full-backs to play, he wants his teams to be fluid.

ā€œThere are going to be times when I will end up in centre midfield and centre midfield will be covering me.ā€

Milner went on to outline his determination to keep his place in Kloppā€™s side.

ā€œI am not going to turn around and lie and say ā€˜I love playing thereā€™, but if that is me being part of a successful team and contributing then I will do anything I can for Liverpool,ā€ the former England international added.

ā€œUltimately, the team comes first. If that is what is best for the team then you do it. From that moment on, I was training left-back in pre-season and learning the position.

ā€œHe [Klopp] doesnā€™t owe me anything. I am a Liverpool player, he is the manager, he picks the best team to win and it is my job to make sure that what is best for Liverpool is me.ā€

I love this guy! Not 100% happy about something but just gets his head down and gets on with it and performs out of his skin.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #813: Nov 22, 2016 04:28:02 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #814: Nov 22, 2016 05:24:00 pm
      ā€œI am not going to turn around and lie and say ā€˜I love playing thereā€™, but if that is me being part of a successful team and contributing then I will do anything I can for Liverpool,ā€ the former England international added.

ā€œUltimately, the team comes first. If that is what is best for the team then you do it. From that moment on, I was training left-back in pre-season and learning the position.

ā€œHe [Klopp] doesnā€™t owe me anything. I am a Liverpool player, he is the manager, he picks the best team to win and it is my job to make sure that what is best for Liverpool is me.ā€

I love this guy. Great attitude.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #815: Nov 22, 2016 05:26:27 pm
      I love this guy. Great attitude.

Nothing to his attitude but the best for LFC.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #816: Dec 31, 2016 11:21:52 pm
      Very impressed with the overall quality in Milner's game. His focus right through to his execution and awareness have benn great.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #817: Dec 31, 2016 11:28:26 pm
      Some man is James Miner!!

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #818: Dec 31, 2016 11:38:35 pm

It says so much about him that this is the first season of him playing at left back and has shown to be one of the best left backs in the league. Full back is such a complex position to play in these days because of the added responsibility to attack but also to remain defensively solid.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #819: Jan 01, 2017 09:03:00 am
      Huge player, what a player he is! Keep going James.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #820: Jan 01, 2017 12:34:23 pm
      what a season this lad is having,for me ( & I imagine many many reds on here & across the land )  James has been just as instrumental in our success thus far as the many other players in the squad,what he may lack in fleet of foot
      He more thank makes up for in other areas.
      Milner has had a fare few clubs in his time & while some players at 30 are more than happy to pick up
      There wages ( we have all seen plenty in our time )but  not this fella,he gives you everything including versatility, heart, professionalism,desire,guts & not to mention how F***ing boss he is at taking pens.
      last nights performance against sterling were he made him look a complete novice & a tw*t summed up his season so far & like matip he cost us Sod all,
      Well done James Milner.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #821: Jan 01, 2017 01:53:10 pm
      He has been solid as far as I'm concerned. Was my MOTM pick at Goodison.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #822: Jan 10, 2017 10:44:26 am
      I would argue Danny Rose is the best LB in the PL.

But considering LB isn't Milners natural position and converted at 30 he has been outstanding.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #823: Jan 10, 2017 10:52:01 am
      I would argue Danny Rose is the best LB in the PL.

But considering LB isn't Milners natural position and converted at 30 he has been outstanding.

Agree fully with that.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #824: Jan 10, 2017 11:59:00 am
      Never in doubt with the industrial Milners ability at LB...nice touch to be recocognised for a position he adopted later in his career..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #825: Jan 10, 2017 12:45:27 pm
      One of my favourite players at the club right now, fantastic professional, extremely adaptable and very intelligent. Rankings like those are always complicated - translating a player's performance over a year into a single number is not something easy to do - but regardless of what you think his place in the ranking should be, it is no doubt deserved to see him among the best.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #826: Jan 10, 2017 12:51:34 pm
      One of my favourite players at the club right now, fantastic professional, extremely adaptable and very intelligent. Rankings like those are always complicated - translating a player's performance over a year into a single number is not something easy to do - but regardless of what you think his place in the ranking should be, it is no doubt deserved to see him among the best.

100% with you on this one. He was asked to come in and do a decent job, that's it. What he has done is become one of our players of the season in a position he's never played in before, that's ridiculous!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,692 posts | 6693 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #827: Jan 11, 2017 09:44:51 pm
      Worst performance I have seen from him in a Liverpool shirt. Wasn't alone though!

Quick Reply