Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Colin Pascoe sacked

Read 65643 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Colin Pascoe sacked
      Reply #69: Jun 05, 2015 06:24:32 pm

Is that not a negative for Brendan Swab?

Brendan cannot even implement training through his own coaching staff?

Say's a lot more about Brendan than Marsh or Pascoe if you ask me.

It depends.
      BR doesn't do all the coaching, and it may very well be that his ideas are being lost in translation, or simply that his coaches aren't very good at communicating his ideas.

It could also mean that BR is being stripped of his power base, prior to a "last chance" scenario.

It could just mean that new blood will bring new impetus.

Who knows, but out of all the options, I'd go for Marsh and Pascoe not implementing ideas properly for whatever reason.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #70: Jun 05, 2015 06:24:42 pm
      Ayre isn't going anywhere. He's their lapdog.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #71: Jun 05, 2015 06:25:37 pm

That's was my thinking with my post, someone like Sami

YNWA
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #72: Jun 05, 2015 06:27:06 pm
      Yowzer!

Need to crack open the popcorn by the looks of things!

;D
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #73: Jun 05, 2015 06:28:29 pm
      and it may very well be that his ideas are being lost in translation, or simply that his coaches aren't very good at communicating his ideas.

Get what you are saying Swab but if the above is true it is Brendan's fault for both.

You & I both know that in the end he is responsible for his coaches.

I am leaning towards the "We need to do something to make it look like we care about what happened" scenario myself.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #74: Jun 05, 2015 06:29:37 pm
      A postman doesn't earn that much these days, about £18k I'd guess, not too much in football terms (j/k) :D

In all seriousness Colin wouldn't have been on that much in comparison to Brendan, he also apparently only had 1 year to run, so the financial package for severing that contract wouldn't exactly hurt much.

I think Shabs theory is an interesting one.

It's the only one I can think of Luke to be honest, a management team work together, if one us failing then they all should fail, these were Rodgers trusted men, well Pascoe was & remove him from the set up it weakens the Boss.

Would you be surprised to read later that out of Loyalty to Pascoe & Marsh Rodgers Resign? I won't.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #75: Jun 05, 2015 06:29:50 pm
      Maybe Rodgers having to except all these changes will from now on have minimal input in transfers and policy.
      Just a head coach role and the committee decide everything else.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #76: Jun 05, 2015 06:29:56 pm
      Phlean & that Dutch fella were there a while behind the scenes implementing Fergies training methods, Fergie never had a solid number 2 because he never needed one because he was good at what he did.

Well he must have had a good number two because Fergie always delegated to coaches - he was a hands off man like Capello who did more in the way of tactics rather than hands on coaching.

All great managers have a great backroom staff behind them. It's bullshit if you believe otherwise.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #77: Jun 05, 2015 06:30:35 pm
      Phlean & that Dutch fella were there a while behind the scenes implementing Fergies training methods, Fergie never had a solid number 2 because he never needed one because he was good at what he did.

Seems like you're just finding stuff to fit your argument

Confirmation bias
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #78: Jun 05, 2015 06:33:15 pm
      Sack coach, sack assistant, keep manager. Makes little sense to me. But it's something i'm strangely happy about.

I have no doubt Brendan is a good manager but he cannot get a team to defend. If he can surround himself with people who know how to do so then we have a tasty combo.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #79: Jun 05, 2015 06:33:22 pm
      Get what you are saying Swab but if the above is true it is Brendan's fault for both.

You & I both know that in the end he is responsible for his coaches.

I am leaning towards the "We need to do something to make it look like we care about what happened" scenario myself.

I agree it's his responsibility.

I think the scenario you paint is wide of the mark though.
      I think they actually change things in ways they think are for the better rather than some cosmetic PR sh*te.
      I suppose we'll see, depending on who comes in.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack

• 266 posts |
      Reply #80: Jun 05, 2015 06:34:36 pm
      Well he must have had a good number two because Fergie always delegated to coaches - he was a hands off man like Capello who did more in the way of tactics rather than hands on coaching.

All great managers have a great backroom staff behind them. It's bullshit if you believe otherwise.

Look at fergies no.2's compared to Pascoe. A huge difference in presence and experience. Look what Fergies have gone onto, can you see Pascoe managing Real Madrid or Portugal, Derby, Middlesborough or England.
      Obviously was a very difficult decision for Rodgers as they have been together for most of his managerial career but he also may have realised change was needed. Life is full of tough decisions ! Not a fan of rodgers but dependent on who he brings in I think this is a step in the right direction.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #81: Jun 05, 2015 06:34:44 pm
      Are you folks for real?  You moan all season about lack of experience within the management and coaching set up, then big up ex players who have even less or zero coaching experience.

I know we lack a Scouse heart at the Club but sentimentality has no place in elite sport.  Bring in the best not the most convenient!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #82: Jun 05, 2015 06:35:03 pm
      It's the only one I can think of Luke to be honest, a management team work together, if one us failing then they all should fail, these were Rodgers trusted men, well Pascoe was & remove him from the set up it weakens the Boss.

Would you be surprised to read later that out of Loyalty to Pascoe & Marsh Rodgers Resign? I won't.

If one fail they all fail?

Ever been in the corproate world? I'm guessing not.

If one fail then that one gets kicked to the curb whether the others like it or not.

You don't cut off your entire arm because you have a tumor in your wrist.

Yes....it may weaken Brendan, but who knows if it will end up strengthening the squad in the long run.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #83: Jun 05, 2015 06:35:11 pm
      Seems like you're just finding stuff to fit your argument

Confirmation bias

How is it bias mate? Did Fergie stop winning when his assistants like McClaren, Queriz left? No, he's back room staff were key, he said so himself when Moyes was appointed that Moyes should have kept the back room staff in place, keeps the continuity. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #84: Jun 05, 2015 06:35:16 pm

I would be staggered to read that mate if I'm honest but I totally follow your train of thought.

Brendan can't afford to walk out in terms of a career choice. He would be seen as a failure, a loyal failure perhaps but a failure all the same. That on the back of Watford and Reading I think it would be too damaging for him to recover from. His next job offer after that would probably be championship level and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do that for Colin.

I honestly believe there has to have been some conversation where the the blame was passed to these two, inadvertently or purposefully we'll never know but it's an extraordinary position we find ourselves in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #85: Jun 05, 2015 06:37:43 pm
      How is it bias mate? Did Fergie stop winning when his assistants like McClaren, Queriz left? No, he's back room staff were key, he said so himself when Moyes was appointed that Moyes should have kept the back room staff in place, keeps the continuity. 

Wait...haven't you just terribly contradicted yourself? You said they kept winning even when his assistants left. That's not continuity. Then you said that Fergie told Moyes to keep the back room staff in place for continuity.

So which is it...continuity or not continuity?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #86: Jun 05, 2015 06:38:42 pm

Point being you said managers don't stay when their back room staff leave. That it doesn't happen in football

It does

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #87: Jun 05, 2015 06:40:21 pm
      Tell Gerrard to F**k the States off and stay on as assistant manager. Get Sammy Lee back in as our coach, in place of Marshy. Get Thommo back in some capacity. And get Ronnie Moran on the bench just to give those shitbags a good F***ing hiding when they fail to put the effort in.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack

• 266 posts |
      Reply #88: Jun 05, 2015 06:42:23 pm
      Are you folks for real?  You moan all season about lack of experience within the management and coaching set up, then big up ex players who have even less or zero coaching experience.

I know we lack a Scouse heart at the Club but sentimentality has no place in elite sport.  Bring in the best not the most convenient!!

The best would be Ancelloti, Klopp or Jose Mourinho, but we have to be realistic and realise the situation we are in. Next season I think we will be well out the running again however if we are sticking with BR this is a positive change.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #89: Jun 05, 2015 06:44:24 pm
      Tell Gerrard to f**k the States off and stay on as assistant manager. Get Sammy Lee back in as our coach, in place of Marshy. Get Thommo back in some capacity. And get Ronnie Moran on the bench just to give those shitbags a good f**king hiding when they fail to put the effort in.

He has no coaching badges; I remember him saying earlier in the year that he had not begun them as of yet.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #90: Jun 05, 2015 06:44:24 pm
      I hope that we don't go down the route of hiring someone just because they have played for us.

its the wrong thing to do, it should be based on whats best to improve us.

not who knows where everything is in melwood
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #91: Jun 05, 2015 06:45:45 pm
      Point being you said managers don't stay when their back room staff leave. That it doesn't happen in football

It does

Were talking assistant manager Jon, if the assistant is a failure then the buck stops with the man manager, how does Pascoe become a failure under Rodgers but not at Swansea, Pascoe was following Rodgers philosophy as was Marsh, so all should walk,Fergies number 2's never failed him or their club they failed as managers in their own right.

It's like sacking Sammy Lee for Rafa's failure to with the PL.

No winning manager as ever sacked his number 2 unless your Rafa I think.

I'm all for the change but I'm surprised the cull is not consistent.

Quick Reply