Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice

Read 58504 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice
      Jun 06, 2015 12:04:52 pm
      This isn't about being realistic or who the yanks would/wouldn't pick, it's about who you want to replace Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh as our back room staff. It's also not about who you want to replace Brendan Rodgers because to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't been sacked (yet).

If you could explain why, it'd be helpful as well.

My choices are;

Assistant manager - Sammy Lee. Firstly he loves the club as much as anybody. Secondly, he knows the club inside out. It used to be Sammy's job to show new signings around the city and help them bed into the club. He'd jump at the chance to come home (again) rather than piss about on the south coast at St Mary's. He's still in the game so the old chestnut of "the games moved on" doesn't apply to Sammy. His passion and enthusiasm for the club would rub off on others. People who want European experience, Sammy has that having played abroad and been a part of domestic and international coaching teams.

Coach - Jamie Carragher. Like Sammy, his passion and enthusiasm would rub off on those around him. He's vastly knowledgeable on the sport, which helps. He's also the kind of fella who'd give you a good hiding if you failed to put in the effort. He'd offer defensive knowledge to Brendan, which is one area we're clearly lacking in. He also wouldn't be a yes man, which I think is the type of person Brendan needs.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice
      Reply #1: Jun 06, 2015 12:07:20 pm
      Carragher will never work with Brendan, he has character and will speak up.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: Jun 06, 2015 12:15:51 pm

I don't care.

It's who I want, which is the question I posed in the first place. Who do you want?

This isn't about being realistic or who the yanks would/wouldn't pick, it's about who you want to replace Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh as our back room staff.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,625 posts | 6933 
      Reply #3: Jun 06, 2015 01:33:07 pm
      Couldn't see Carragher getting on with Brendan if I'm being honest - and watching a lot of footy isn't a substitute for being able to coach the sport.

I think we need people with experience - and experience of success because there's not a lot of that currently in our dug out.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Jun 06, 2015 01:35:46 pm
      Pako
      Hyypia
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Jun 06, 2015 01:47:47 pm

I read recently that Pako has taken a league by storm and won the double or something?
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #6: Jun 06, 2015 02:00:53 pm
      Since we don't have to be realistic.

Steve Clarke - Even though I have no doubt he'll be able to carve himself an okay career as a #1(if his one full season at West Brom is anything to go by. I feel he's better off getting to work in the background as a #2. He has plenty of experience as a player and coach. He helped sort us out defensively during his time with Kenny too. He also has a fair bit of experience in Europe which Brendan obviously lacks.

Rene Meulensteen - Once again not a great #1 and we'd have to dip him in acid to get rid of the stench of Manc on him but to give the devil his due he was a big part of the Scum's relatively recent successes as a 1st team coach and he can also help with navigating Europe in terms of the training regimen seeing as Brendan admitted he couldn't work with a three game a week schedule.

Thommo or Sammy Lee - Arsenal have two first team coaches so why can't we? And I feel having a seasoned and experienced Red who has worked as a coach before is very important (which is why I'd avoid bringing in someone like Carra, great player but he hasn't coached anywhere yet and we need experience ASAP). His role should very much be similar to what Steve Bould does at Arsenal and that's essentially just keeping the players honest. When they're lazy or sh*te they need someone to give them a good bollocking now and again (and to remind them where the hell they are and which shirt they have the honour to wear) rather than to nod in the background whilst Brendan talks about how "outstanding" they've supposedly been.

Monchi - The Sevilla Sporting Director who has done wonders there. 4 UEFA cups have been won on his watch whilst spending buttons. I'd have a lot more faith in him running transfers rather than Brendan and the committee and we should do everything in our power to bring him in. Double,  treble whatever he's on at Sevilla, give him and his scouts full control of transfers.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #7: Jun 06, 2015 02:18:44 pm
      I just want somebody who have a spine and says how he see things on the pitch and off it. Problem with that is he wouldnt be welcomed with open arms. My guess is that it will be somebody who agree with everything.
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #8: Jun 06, 2015 02:18:50 pm
      I'd like to see one experienced person who knows the club etc and one younger passionate person who knows the club. I feel it's important that they are a 'Liverpool person' as I feel it will instil some genuine passion back into the changing room. Like others have already said I'd like my experienced choice to be either Sammy Lee or Thommo; purely as i feel they will speak their mind and basically bollock players when needed. Again, similar to others I'd like the younger less experienced choice to be Carra or Hyypia. I also think these options would be able to help sort the defense out a bit as well. Thinking about it Sammy and Sami has a nice ring to it! Probably fairly realistic as well...
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3707 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: Jun 06, 2015 02:27:31 pm
      I want Pako, Hyypia, Carragher, Markus Babbel, Phil Thompson in this order. I take any two of these.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Jun 06, 2015 02:30:10 pm
      In the modern era not one assistant comes close to the brilliance of Pako. Would love him back at Liverpool but it's not going to happen.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,424 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11: Jun 06, 2015 03:01:23 pm
      Sammy Lee & Phil Thompson.

Worked under the best, won under the best & coached under our previous successful managers.

Know the club inside out & have a winning mentality.

I would be made up to see these 2 on the coaching staff.
      RedStuart91
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      • we love you liverpool
      Reply #12: Jun 06, 2015 03:59:47 pm
      What about Robbie Fowler as First Team Coach / Forward Coach .  He's been doing a lot for the club in the last couple years . Knows the club inside out been linked with a few management jobs but stuck to coaching the kids at Liverpool and being an Ambassador. I would love to see to see Carragher back at Anfield as a coach but I couldn't see him getting along with Brendan. I reckon he is happy working for Sky Sports taking a few years out the game .  For me id like Robbie Fowler 1st team Coach and Sami Hyypia as Assistant Manager. 

As long as it isn't Harry Kewell  :mad: seen earlier this week on sky that he is doing his coaching badges and wants to get into management .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,212 posts | 4912 
      Reply #13: Jun 06, 2015 04:59:33 pm
      I see someone put Mulensteen.

That's who I was thinking.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Jun 06, 2015 05:10:08 pm
      Kenny Dalglish (sounds a bit odd but it could work wonders) and Steve McManaman or Sami Hyypia. Would Hyypia be willing to do a kind of apprenticeship and not take a management job elsewhere because his sights are set higher than an understudy? He's loved by Liverpool fans and is obviously football mad to go into management after being a player. Could end up here as manager one day.
      One of them at least should be from Liverpool.

Or Gary Mcallister? Edited my post, I'm sure others will pop into my head.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Jun 06, 2015 05:20:59 pm
      Said it in the Pascoe sacked thread, I'd have Thommo in as no2, Carra in as his apprentice, great shout tho regarding Sammy Lee, I forgot about him so shame on me, I'd have him back in a heartbeat for sure, and just to take extra pressure off BR, I'd have Kenny doing his media work on his behalf,  ;D

YNWA
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #16: Jun 06, 2015 08:57:10 pm
      Zenden
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #17: Jun 06, 2015 09:07:23 pm
      Sammy Lee and Thommo, Thommo as assistant and Lee as Coach, Thommo would give a few of these players a rocket up their arses.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Jun 06, 2015 09:17:34 pm
      Robbie Fowler , he would   instill  his predatory skills into our forwards and we will be on a winner.
      Phil Thompson, he proved himself with Houllier and can prove himself again, he will tighten the defence up.
      Last of all they both know what this club is all about and would not let us down.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2015 09:55:56 pm
      Sammy Lee and Steve Clarke (if he wasn't at Reading).

So it would be Sammy Lee as assistant manager and Sami Hyypia as defensive coach for me. There are plenty of options available for us but these would be my choices.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20: Jun 06, 2015 10:04:44 pm
      I just can't see FSG hiring anyone with a emotional connection to the club. I can see them appointing someone who could take Brendan's place should the need arise
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Jun 06, 2015 10:11:42 pm

https://youtu.be/tek-Hm1-efw

Carra and Brendan .

We need some Scally DNA back urgently.

Sammy and Carra agreed.

Dream team.

Robbie Fowler , he would   instill  his predatory skills into our forwards and we will be on a winner.
      Phil Thompson, he proved himself with Houllier and can prove himself again, he will tighten the defence up.
      Last of all they both know what this club is all about and would not let us down.

and this .
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,190 posts | 1271 
      Reply #22: Jun 06, 2015 10:28:33 pm
      I'm not in favour of merely selecting a coach who has a connection - for me, he has to have the experience - continental is a big bonus - first and foremost.

That said, if there's one man who I wish had gone into coaching and potentially managed us out of all the ex players, it would be Alan Hansen all day long.

Quick Reply