Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice

Read 58509 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Re: Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice
      Reply #575: Jul 02, 2015 08:09:24 pm
      What's the Craic with O'Driscoll, any good is he?.

He's not a household name, that seems to be one of his biggest drawbacks.

Oh and Brendan apparently favors him, so that is strike 2 for you baseball fans out there ;D
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #576: Jul 02, 2015 09:24:07 pm
      first Only criteria: they will be cheap to sack if the situation arises - CHECK
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,344 posts | 2818 
      Reply #577: Jul 03, 2015 10:42:40 am
      I've just found this whole backroom staff turnover to be absolutely F***ing bizarre.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #578: Jul 03, 2015 11:49:03 am
      I've just found this whole backroom staff turnover to be absolutely f**king bizarre.

I think it's more of the same really. I'm not entirely sure whether or not they're actually upgrades though. As good a youth coach as Pep seems to be he still hasn't worked with first team players where the requirements are different and O'Driscoll has more experience than Pascoe in the game but he somehow has less top flight and European experience. The whole thing just reeks of pacifying the bloodlust from last season. Like last season was so unacceptable that SOMETHING had to change and these changes were the cheapest and easiest possible ones to make.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4927 
      Reply #579: Jul 03, 2015 11:55:57 am
      I think it's more of the same really. I'm not entirely sure whether or not they're actually upgrades though. As good a youth coach as Pep seems to be he still hasn't worked with first team players where the requirements are different and O'Driscoll has more experience than Pascoe in the game but he somehow has less top flight and European experience. The whole thing just reeks of pacifying the bloodlust from last season. Like last season was so unacceptable that SOMETHING had to change and these changes were the cheapest and easiest possible ones to make.

I think looking at what Pep has done in the past he has more experience that Marsh and appears to be highly rated by those in the game which Marsh didn't seem to be.

On O'Driscoll he has managed his own teams, albeit at a low level, and coached under age international football so again appears to have more experience than Pascoe.

Whether we agree or disagree that they are a big enough upgrade to make a change worthwhile they definitely appear to be upgrades on what we had.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #580: Jul 03, 2015 12:24:13 pm
      One more person for people to complain about, I wonder who it will be?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/07/rodgers-hopes-to-add-one-more-coach-to-new-look-liverpool-backroom-staff/
      Rodgers hopes to add one more coach to new look Liverpool backroom staff

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers wants to add one more name to his new look coaching team, following the expected appointments of Sean O’Driscoll and Pepijn Lijnders.

O’Driscoll will replace Colin Pascoe as first-team coach, while Lijnders is being promoted from under-16 coach to first-team coach.

It’s reported that Rodgers hopes to add one more to his staff, with previous reports suggesting that could be a former player.

Liverpool expect to have O’Driscoll, who will leave his role as England under-19s coach, in place for the start of pre-season training next Monday at Melwood.

The Reds fly out to Asia and then Australia for their pre-season tour a week after returning to training, with pre-season lasting a week less than last summer.

Who the third coach may be isn’t reported as yet, but names such as Gary McAllister, Sami Hyypia and Bolo Zenden have been previously linked.
      Bier
      Reply #581: Jul 03, 2015 12:30:01 pm
      As good a youth coach as Pep seems to be he still hasn't worked with first team players where the requirements are different

He actually did work with first team players at Porto
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #582: Jul 03, 2015 01:22:12 pm
      One more person for people to complain about, I wonder who it will be?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/07/rodgers-hopes-to-add-one-more-coach-to-new-look-liverpool-backroom-staff/
      Rodgers hopes to add one more coach to new look Liverpool backroom staff

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers wants to add one more name to his new look coaching team, following the expected appointments of Sean O’Driscoll and Pepijn Lijnders.

O’Driscoll will replace Colin Pascoe as first-team coach, while Lijnders is being promoted from under-16 coach to first-team coach.

It’s reported that Rodgers hopes to add one more to his staff, with previous reports suggesting that could be a former player.

Liverpool expect to have O’Driscoll, who will leave his role as England under-19s coach, in place for the start of pre-season training next Monday at Melwood.

The Reds fly out to Asia and then Australia for their pre-season tour a week after returning to training, with pre-season lasting a week less than last summer.

Who the third coach may be isn’t reported as yet, but names such as Gary McAllister, Sami Hyypia and Bolo Zenden have been previously linked.
      As Brendan himself is also a coach.I wonder what will be the role of this 4th person after Assistant manager and head coach.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #583: Jul 03, 2015 01:45:41 pm
      As Brendan himself is also a coach.I wonder what will be the role of this 4th person after Assistant manager and head coach.

Fan Appeaser
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #584: Jul 03, 2015 09:33:36 pm
      Defensive coach and set piece organizer I hope
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #585: Jul 03, 2015 10:08:59 pm
      I posted after "that meeting" that Brendan was being 'moved away' from the Coaching side into a more Management focused role, which seemed weird to me considering he's such a good coach but these appointments appear to confirm this.

Bringing in Sean, who has a very similar approach to Brendan.  Educate the players to make the right decisions on the pitch, be brave but be flexible in how we play.

Pep prefers to work in a 1 to 1 role, working directly with individuals on their specific game and role and now there's talk of another coach arriving, possibly an ex player.

I can only assume from that that Brendan understands the need to have some sort of Scouse heartbeat, someone who understands what it means to play for this Club and hopefully it'll be someone that's highly respected for his time here as a player.

These have to be people Brendan trusts implicitly to deliver his methods and instill them whilst he's busy doing the "Management" stuff.

If this works, we'll start to see a more cohesive and balanced team, which for me can only be a good thing.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1273 
      Reply #586: Jul 03, 2015 10:55:20 pm
      I posted after "that meeting" that Brendan was being 'moved away' from the Coaching side into a more Management focused role, which seemed weird to me considering he's such a good coach but these appointments appear to confirm this.

Bringing in Sean, who has a very similar approach to Brendan.  Educate the players to make the right decisions on the pitch, be brave but be flexible in how we play.

Pep prefers to work in a 1 to 1 role, working directly with individuals on their specific game and role and now there's talk of another coach arriving, possibly an ex player.

I can only assume from that that Brendan understands the need to have some sort of Scouse heartbeat, someone who understands what it means to play for this Club and hopefully it'll be someone that's highly respected for his time here as a player.

These have to be people Brendan trusts implicitly to deliver his methods and instill them whilst he's busy doing the "Management" stuff.

If this works, we'll start to see a more cohesive and balanced team, which for me can only be a good thing.

It is an interesting scenario that one debs. He may be moving towards a more hands off job like Ferguson and focusing essentially on the tactics and formation. Perhaps he has been told - or realised - that his job as manager is not to do literally everything. And I think there's this naive belief from some fans that a manager does EVERYTHING for the team, when in reality, that is only a recipe for failure.

I think a manager can get away with complete hands on control without mid-week games and European football, but when these games pop up in seasons, then inevitably it increases the workload. And instead of delegating last season with the Champions League, Brendan may possibly have been juggling too many roles. And maybe that is why he bemoaned the lack of 'preparation' time - mainly because he was intent on doing it all alone.

As the old saying goes, there is wisdom in the crowd, and when coaching staff work more as a team as opposed to merely following the instructions of the head coach, then you find it often breeds efficiency that leads to success. No great manager has ever achieved success without a great backroom staff. And hopefully Brendan has realised this.
      zanwalk
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      Reply #587: Jul 03, 2015 11:03:55 pm
      Brendan doesn't need an assistant to tell him when he's wrong...he has a whole forum of people to do it right here.

Fair play FL, that was good!

And the beauty of that approach is that it doesn't cost the club anything, it's all voluntary.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #588: Jul 03, 2015 11:08:44 pm
      It is an interesting scenario that one debs. He may be moving towards a more hands off job like Ferguson and focusing essentially on the tactics and formation. Perhaps he has been told - or realised - that his job as manager is not to do literally everything. And I think there's this naive belief from some fans that a manager does EVERYTHING for the team, when in reality, that is only a recipe for failure.

I think a manager can get away with complete hands on control without mid-week games and European football, but when these games pop up in seasons, then inevitably it increases the workload. And instead of delegating last season with the Champions League, Brendan may possibly have been juggling too many roles. And maybe that is why he bemoaned the lack of 'preparation' time - mainly because he was intent on doing it all alone.

As the old saying goes, there is wisdom in the crowd, and when coaching staff work more as a team as opposed to merely following the instructions of the head coach, then you find it often breeds efficiency that leads to success. No great manager has ever achieved success without a great backroom staff. And hopefully Brendan has realised this.

Like many mate I assumed that we'd see someone with more 'management' experience come in as Assistant, especially one with some European experience but having read up about him it seems he's very much a Coach and a coach in Brendan's mold with the added bonus of installing responsibility into the players.

I've been very worried that Brendan still thinks too much like a Youth Coach, with a tendency to babysit the players so I think this could work.

Of course it could go tits up but I'm quite positive we'll see a different animal on the pitch this coming season.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #589: Jul 04, 2015 01:41:12 am

So BR is manager and takes care of that while the coaches take care of the player preparation. O'Driscoll is a practitioner of the style Rodgers likes. I think this is probably necessary but what about the defensive side which is not just about pressing and keeping the ball.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #590: Jul 06, 2015 08:00:11 am
      From echo today....

Liverpool will confirm the appointments of Sean O’Driscoll and Pep Lijnders on Monday as the majority of the Reds’ squad return to Melwood for the start of pre-season training.

And Brendan Rodgers is likely to appoint another member to his backroom staff as part of a summer reshuffle in response to last season’s hugely disappointing Premier League campaign.

England under-19 coach O’Driscoll is expected to be confirmed as assistant manager in place of the departed Colin Pascoe.

However, it is understood Lijnders, promoted from his role as coach of the under-16s, will not be a direct replacement for former first team coach Mike Marsh, with his role instead centred around elite player development.

It is anticipated the Dutchman will also continue to work in developing the very brightest prospects at the Academy.

Liverpool, therefore, are poised to make a further appointment to the first-team coaching set-up, with the process for a backroom reinforcement ongoing.

Most of Liverpool’s players will report back for pre-season training on Monday morning, including new signings James Milner and Nathaniel Clyne and fellow England internationals Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana and Raheem Sterling.

Another new boy, Danny Ings, was offered an extended break after appearing for England at the recent UEFA European Under-21 Championships, but the player has decided to begin training ahead of schedule on Wednesday.

Liverpool’s Copa America representatives Philippe Coutinho and £29million signing Roberto Firmino are expected at Melwood later in the month.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #591: Jul 06, 2015 09:01:15 am
      Excellent article. One of the major things that pissed me off last year was Skrtel - the most experienced defender in our team - would not communicate with new players. That's only a recipe for disaster, and it doesn't help when experienced players are failing to help players adapt by refusing to communicate to players...
      Off topic, I know and whilst I appreciate you don't like Martin SoaG; do you honestly believe he refused to communicate with new players?   :laugh:

Just throwing it out there but I'm not sure Martin's "experience" equates to the Slovak's ability to communicate clearly in Spanish [Manquillo/Moreno], German [Can], French [Sakho] and Croatian [Lovren]. Could it be that maybe, (just maybe, mind you) the responsibility for better communication might fall on the shoulders of others, either individually or whoever was responsible for those lads' integration when they signed.

Still, either way; if that "excellent article" is anything to go by then Sean O'Driscoll will sort it out.  :gt-happyup:

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2015 09:28:52 am by bad boy bubby »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #592: Jul 06, 2015 09:49:24 am

I'm liking that setup.  That means our u16s still get the benefit of Pep but the seniors get to work with him too.

Great stuff  :gt-happyup: :gt-happyup:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #593: Jul 06, 2015 11:21:57 am
      What's the Craic with O'Driscoll, any good is he?.

Not sure Shabs, people in the circles seem to rate him as apparently he is a very good coach to young players. He isn't a star name, but then again he doesn't need to be, he just needs to know what he's doing on the coaching side. He could compliment BR nicely, then again he could just be the least risky and cheap  option. Bit of an unknown this one I reckon, we'll find out soon enough.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #594: Jul 06, 2015 11:37:54 am
      Author:
      David Lynch

Sean O'Driscoll ends a 10-month stint as head coach of England's U19s side in order to join Brendan Rodgers' backroom team as assistant manager.

The Wolverhampton-born coach brings 20 years' worth of coaching experience with him to Anfield, and a reputation for a commitment to expressive, intelligent football.

As he explained after confirming his move to the Reds: "At the start of my coaching career 20 years ago I embarked on trying to get players to think for themselves, rather than be coach-led.

"Some do this instinctively, some have to be nurtured into thinking this way. This is as relevant today as it was then in trying to produce fluid, entertaining and winning teams.

"I'm looking forward to working with such a talented group of players and staff and I am delighted to be here."

O'Driscoll began his career in football as a midfielder, with an 11-year stay at Bournemouth accounting for the majority of his playing days.

Helping the Cherries earn promotion to the Second Division in 1987 proved a highlight at club level, and he also picked up three senior caps for the Republic of Ireland before hanging up his boots.

But it was following retirement that he truly began to make waves, after succeeding Mel Machin in the role of manager at the club he served for so long as a player.

The appointment proved a turning point for the south-coast club, who steadily progressed under their new boss before earning promotion to the Second Division via the play-offs in 2002-03.

Six years after taking charge at Dean Court, O'Driscoll was snapped up by then-League One outfit Doncaster Rovers and enjoyed further success at the south Yorkshire club.

After winning the Football League Trophy in his debut season, he led Rovers to the Championship via the play-offs.

It was during this spell that O'Driscoll first encountered Rodgers, as they went head-to-head when the latter made his managerial debut with Watford in November 2008.

The pair subsequently struck up a relationship that has resulted in a reunion at Melwood and is founded on a shared belief in certain coaching ideals.

"As a manager I stood in rival dugouts next to Brendan on numerous occasions and have always really enjoyed our conversations about developing players," O'Driscoll added.

"We both have similar beliefs in what we expect from players and will always challenge but support them in playing with a freedom and with responsibility in pressured situations, while demanding consistent performance levels to give us the best possible chance of sustainable success."

Since leaving Doncaster in 2011, O'Driscoll has added to his CV with stints at Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and, latterly, England U19s.

And he can't wait to get started on preparations for the 2015-16 campaign after making Anfield his latest port of call.

"I have watched a number of games at Anfield over the years and the club's history and the support of the fans never fails to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up," he enthused.

"The philosophy of football here is engrained into football folklore; this has evolved and developed as players come and go and eras change but the underlying principles that make Liverpool Football Club what it is will always endure."

Author: Chris Shaw
      @shawct

Pepijn Lijnders takes up the newly-created role of first team development coach at Liverpool after one season spent imparting his philosophy and particular approach to the game upon the club's U16s squad at the Academy.

Lijnders' impact since his arrival in August 2014 has prompted Brendan Rodgers to bring the highly regarded coach into the senior set-up to work closely alongside the first team.

The Dutchman will also continue to figure prominently in the development of elite young talent at Kirkby, as part of a restructured technical approach to coaching at the club.

On his new first-team duties, the 32-year-old said: "My main goal is assisting Brendan to implement a development programme, a programme that will non-stop stimulate the offensive individual capacities of each first-team player, but also give young talent the chance to develop to first-team standards."

Lijnders' promise was evident when he first took up a post at the club, with his CV already impressively stocked courtesy of five seasons at PSV Eindhoven in his homeland and a further seven at FC Porto in Portugal.

He had forged a strong bond with the staff and young players at Porto but admitted that Liverpool was one of the few clubs in Europe that could have tempted him to undertake a new challenge.

When the Reds did make a move to secure his services, though, the decision was ultimately 'a logical one' - with the dedicated coaches already in place in Kirkby, the passion of the supporters, and the city itself combining to present an undeniable opportunity.

A studious thinker and analyst of the sport, Lijnders' deep love of football is obvious from the moment that he begins to discuss the game and the areas which he feels are fundamental to improvement and success.

He explains: "I believe that winning is a logical result of development - development of the individual, development of co-operation and development of the team. I believe that self-confidence is a logical result of development.

"Everybody wants to win, every team wants to win. But how do you prepare yourself to win? That is what counts. That is what makes the difference over a long period of time.

"Consistency in performance is only possible when there is performance consistently. And performance only starts with careful planning, preparing the team and individual development."

Much of Lijnders' work with the U16s focused on a bold attacking style, instilling a mindset that tasked his charges with 'intense, aggressive' pressing across the pitch and retrieval of possession at the earliest chance.

Fulfil those objectives and 'you can make a top team or top players look bad', is the 32-year-old's belief. He is also a champion of incorporating the Scouse mentality to provide further edge in competition.

As part of the next emerging generation of young coaches, Lijnders is acutely aware of the obstacles lying ahead in years to come as elite level defences become better organised and narrow the field of play further.

He adds: "The first team wants players who are able to open up games and speed up the attack. We are working on a daily basis, individually and collectively, on those offensive, productive, creative and attractive qualities.

"With guts, courage, faith and a great heart, we look for fast individual and collective actions to get behind the defensive line.

"'You play the game 20 per cent with your head, 20 per cent with your feet and 60 per cent with your heart,' is a famous Dutch saying. It is how Einstein said it: 'Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.'"

He will now aim to take on that challenge as part of Rodgers' new-look backroom team at Melwood, in addition to continuing his stellar work at the Academy.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188038-o-driscoll-s-journey-to-anfield-assistant
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188039-in-profile-pepijn-lijnders-approach
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #595: Jul 06, 2015 12:29:35 pm
      I'm liking that setup.  That means our u16s still get the benefit of Pep but the seniors get to work with him too.

Great stuff  :gt-happyup: :gt-happyup:

Aye they have created a new role for him. Interesting.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #596: Jul 06, 2015 02:12:47 pm
      Author:
      David Lynch

Sean O'Driscoll ends a 10-month stint as head coach of England's U19s side in order to join Brendan Rodgers' backroom team as assistant manager.

The Wolverhampton-born coach brings 20 years' worth of coaching experience with him to Anfield, and a reputation for a commitment to expressive, intelligent football.

As he explained after confirming his move to the Reds: "At the start of my coaching career 20 years ago I embarked on trying to get players to think for themselves, rather than be coach-led.

"Some do this instinctively, some have to be nurtured into thinking this way. This is as relevant today as it was then in trying to produce fluid, entertaining and winning teams.

"I'm looking forward to working with such a talented group of players and staff and I am delighted to be here."

O'Driscoll began his career in football as a midfielder, with an 11-year stay at Bournemouth accounting for the majority of his playing days.

Helping the Cherries earn promotion to the Second Division in 1987 proved a highlight at club level, and he also picked up three senior caps for the Republic of Ireland before hanging up his boots.

But it was following retirement that he truly began to make waves, after succeeding Mel Machin in the role of manager at the club he served for so long as a player.

The appointment proved a turning point for the south-coast club, who steadily progressed under their new boss before earning promotion to the Second Division via the play-offs in 2002-03.

Six years after taking charge at Dean Court, O'Driscoll was snapped up by then-League One outfit Doncaster Rovers and enjoyed further success at the south Yorkshire club.

After winning the Football League Trophy in his debut season, he led Rovers to the Championship via the play-offs.

It was during this spell that O'Driscoll first encountered Rodgers, as they went head-to-head when the latter made his managerial debut with Watford in November 2008.

The pair subsequently struck up a relationship that has resulted in a reunion at Melwood and is founded on a shared belief in certain coaching ideals.

"As a manager I stood in rival dugouts next to Brendan on numerous occasions and have always really enjoyed our conversations about developing players," O'Driscoll added.

"We both have similar beliefs in what we expect from players and will always challenge but support them in playing with a freedom and with responsibility in pressured situations, while demanding consistent performance levels to give us the best possible chance of sustainable success."

Since leaving Doncaster in 2011, O'Driscoll has added to his CV with stints at Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and, latterly, England U19s.

And he can't wait to get started on preparations for the 2015-16 campaign after making Anfield his latest port of call.

"I have watched a number of games at Anfield over the years and the club's history and the support of the fans never fails to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up," he enthused.

"The philosophy of football here is engrained into football folklore; this has evolved and developed as players come and go and eras change but the underlying principles that make Liverpool Football Club what it is will always endure."

Author: Chris Shaw
      @shawct

Pepijn Lijnders takes up the newly-created role of first team development coach at Liverpool after one season spent imparting his philosophy and particular approach to the game upon the club's U16s squad at the Academy.

Lijnders' impact since his arrival in August 2014 has prompted Brendan Rodgers to bring the highly regarded coach into the senior set-up to work closely alongside the first team.

The Dutchman will also continue to figure prominently in the development of elite young talent at Kirkby, as part of a restructured technical approach to coaching at the club.

On his new first-team duties, the 32-year-old said: "My main goal is assisting Brendan to implement a development programme, a programme that will non-stop stimulate the offensive individual capacities of each first-team player, but also give young talent the chance to develop to first-team standards."

Lijnders' promise was evident when he first took up a post at the club, with his CV already impressively stocked courtesy of five seasons at PSV Eindhoven in his homeland and a further seven at FC Porto in Portugal.

He had forged a strong bond with the staff and young players at Porto but admitted that Liverpool was one of the few clubs in Europe that could have tempted him to undertake a new challenge.

When the Reds did make a move to secure his services, though, the decision was ultimately 'a logical one' - with the dedicated coaches already in place in Kirkby, the passion of the supporters, and the city itself combining to present an undeniable opportunity.

A studious thinker and analyst of the sport, Lijnders' deep love of football is obvious from the moment that he begins to discuss the game and the areas which he feels are fundamental to improvement and success.

He explains: "I believe that winning is a logical result of development - development of the individual, development of co-operation and development of the team. I believe that self-confidence is a logical result of development.

"Everybody wants to win, every team wants to win. But how do you prepare yourself to win? That is what counts. That is what makes the difference over a long period of time.

"Consistency in performance is only possible when there is performance consistently. And performance only starts with careful planning, preparing the team and individual development."

Much of Lijnders' work with the U16s focused on a bold attacking style, instilling a mindset that tasked his charges with 'intense, aggressive' pressing across the pitch and retrieval of possession at the earliest chance.

Fulfil those objectives and 'you can make a top team or top players look bad', is the 32-year-old's belief. He is also a champion of incorporating the Scouse mentality to provide further edge in competition.

As part of the next emerging generation of young coaches, Lijnders is acutely aware of the obstacles lying ahead in years to come as elite level defences become better organised and narrow the field of play further.

He adds: "The first team wants players who are able to open up games and speed up the attack. We are working on a daily basis, individually and collectively, on those offensive, productive, creative and attractive qualities.

"With guts, courage, faith and a great heart, we look for fast individual and collective actions to get behind the defensive line.

"'You play the game 20 per cent with your head, 20 per cent with your feet and 60 per cent with your heart,' is a famous Dutch saying. It is how Einstein said it: 'Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.'"

He will now aim to take on that challenge as part of Rodgers' new-look backroom team at Melwood, in addition to continuing his stellar work at the Academy.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188038-o-driscoll-s-journey-to-anfield-assistant
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188039-in-profile-pepijn-lijnders-approach

So to someone that doesn't really have an agenda so far as analyzing these two appointments, those articles sure make it sound like solid moves on the part of Rodgers and the club.

But I guess since O'Driscoll is obviously a bell end that hasn't ever won anything I'm going to go pout now and be upset. :(
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #597: Jul 06, 2015 02:41:00 pm
      So to someone that doesn't really have an agenda so far as analyzing these two appointments, those articles sure make it sound like solid moves on the part of Rodgers and the club.

But I guess since O'Driscoll is obviously a bell end that hasn't ever won anything I'm going to go pout now and be upset. :(

I know I had a bit of a meltdown towards the back end of the season mate but I'm generally a positive person so these appointments and the way they'll be used seems like a big step forward to me. 

I know not everyone will agree but that's true of everything in life and it would be a very boring world if we all wanted the same thing, done in the same way. 

Quick Reply