Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Danny Ings (Liverpool -> Southampton)

Read 119064 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Danny Ings Player Thread
      Reply #230: Jun 16, 2015 07:21:21 pm
      Stevie has asked the fans to give him time reckons we have made a very good signing here

He also thought Joe Cole was as good as Messi :D Nobody knows how good of a signing he will be to be fair but initially he's probably seen as a squad player.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #231: Jun 16, 2015 07:30:58 pm
      He also thought Joe Cole was as good as Messi :D Nobody knows how good of a signing he will be to be fair but initially he's probably seen as a squad player.

The one thing Gerrard has always said about new players he likes is to give them time, and have a bit of patience.
      Something in short supply.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #232: Jun 16, 2015 07:38:38 pm
      That's a very decent strike force!

pity about the rest of the team
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #233: Jun 17, 2015 12:27:22 pm
      i think because he's not a big name people are not as excited as me about signing him, he has all the attributes to be a top striker if given the chance. Harry kane was class last season but the season before he hardly got a game, as soon as he was given his shot he took it and i think this is the same in the case of Ings. He's worked from the bottom up to get a move like this and will fully apprecate how fortunate he is. (shame a certain 20yr old rat cant think they same but thats a different thread!)
      i think BR will use him, dont be suprised if come start of the season we only have Ings, Mario,Sturridge,Origi as our strikers.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #234: Jun 18, 2015 11:25:46 am
      Former England Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce has hit out at those criticising Liverpool FC’s signing of Danny Ings, branding them “snobby”.

Ings will move to Anfield on July 1 following the expiry of his Clarets contract, with the 22-year-old scoring 11 times for the Clarets last season, in what was his maiden Premier League campaign.

Reaction to Ings’ signing is mixed, with some citing his lack of experience in the top-flight before last season.

But the striker, who is currently preparing with England U-21s ahead of their first European Championship game with Portugal on Thursday, has been defended by Pearce.

“We all have different career paths,” said the former defender.

“I came through from the non-league system so if you’re going to be snobby about it I’d have never kicked a ball in the top flight.

“The bottom line is he’s obviously a big talent and a decent player to add to the squad.”

Spot on from pearce.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #235: Jun 19, 2015 01:21:33 pm
      Probably in a minority here given the forum mood at the moment but I think this last is going to be absolutely golden for us.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #236: Jun 19, 2015 02:00:19 pm
      Probably in a minority here given the forum mood at the moment but I think this last is going to be absolutely golden for us.

Said before that I think he'll surprise a lot of people on here.

I also don't think we'll sign another striker unless we get rid of Balotelli and Borini.
      If they stay, it means we have 4 strikers, plus Sinclair.

I'd rather see both of them go and bring in another, and then we have 3 plus Sinclair, and it may be getting to the stage in the lads development where he is ready to start getting more game time in the first team.
      He certainly didn't look out of place in his end of season cameo appearances.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #237: Jun 22, 2015 10:48:35 am
      Caught a bit of england u21s last night, Ings did ok when he came on, should have had a penner. and showed some nice touches near the end keeping the ball, running down the clock.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #238: Jun 23, 2015 12:35:53 am
      I'd give Ings #11 it's been what 3 years since we've seen someone regularly play in that shirt.

He's opted for number 28.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #239: Jun 23, 2015 12:54:57 am

Yep, paraphrased, he said he hasn't done anything to deserve playing in one of the lowered numbered shirts and that he didn't want the added pressure of wearing a 7 or 8 or similar.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #240: Jun 23, 2015 12:56:46 am
      Following up on what Crouchie & FL Red said:

Liverpool new boy Danny Ings rejects iconic Anfield shirt numbers - and vows to earn his place

Ings will wear No.28 in his first season on Merseyside, opting against taking famous kit numbers worn by the likes of Dalglish, Suarez and Gerrard.

Danny Ings was handed a free choice of squad numbers when he sealed his transfer to Liverpool.

It took him only few minutes to decide to sign, and complete a move he said yesterday was “an unbelievable dream come true.”

But when presented with a list of available shirts to launch his Anfield career, he paused for thought. Ghosts of legends past were all around.

How about the famous No.7? As worn by Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Peter Beardsley, Steve McManaman and more recently Luis Suarez.

Or what about No.8? Just vacated by Steven Gerrard after almost two decades of service.

Stepping into the boots of such giants is a heavy burden for a youngster – and could invite unhelpful comparisons.

One day Ings, 22, wants one of those iconic shirts. But for now he is staying humble, and vowing to earn his place in Liverpool history, rather than an easy inheritance, and instant star profile.

Ings talks of his absolute delight at the season ahead at Anfield, and will wear a more low key No.28.

That doesn’t mean he’s not confident of making an impact and scoring goals, which he’s sure will flow.

He said: “I stayed away from the low shirt numbers! You have got to take that pressure off yourself as a young lad coming through. That is what I personally think.

What about a No 8? “I would make sure I am established before taking any of those numbers. It is such a huge club. That was the thinking behind it.

“I wouldn’t want to go to Liverpool and chuck a shirt on my back like that... it is pressure you don’t need. The expectation at clubs like that is huge.

“Obviously I am going to work my socks off to earn that number one day. For now I will take a high number and work hard.”

Ings understands the history and demands of Liverpool. Win trophies, get back into the top four, challenge in Europe.

That is why he is keen to test his talents to the limit. Five years ago he was on loan from Bournemouth, playing for Conference South side Dorchester.

His rise has been rapid, and out of contract at relegated Burnley this month, he had impressive career options.

He explained: “I’ve worked my way from the bottom so it is even more special for me.

“I knew about my contract situation at the start of the season. I had a big decision to make whether to sign a new contract or not.

“I sat down with my family and agent and we came up with I was going to hold out. I had quite a strong season (11 goals), but obviously we went down and I was gutted.

“But I thought I did enough to get myself a good move and the next step and another challenge. It is a challenge I am really looking forward to and I can’t wait to get going.”

Ings, currently on duty with England U21s at the European Championship, said Brendan Rodgers played a big role in his choice.

He’ll have Daniel Sturridge, Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert for competition as lead strikers.

Ings said: “The strikers at Liverpool are fantastic. The way I looked at it, I will get a lot more game time playing in different positions learning my trade as a young professional, and I think he is the right manager for that.

“I have been playing one position for a few years as a main striker. I can play in a number of positions, on the left, as a No10, or off the right like today.

“As soon as I knew he was interested it was a no-brainer and it was best for me to join Liverpool.”

Ings hopes to spend another week helping England reach the Euro final, and wants to start against Italy tomorrow. He’ll then cut short his summer holiday to get going with Liverpool.

He said: “I think they were giving me three weeks from the last game of this tournament.

"I will be raring to go so I will probably only have two and join up with them on tour because I don’t want to be playing catch up.

“I would prefer to be around the squad and ready to go for the start of the season. I am raring to go and can’t wait to get in.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-new-boy-danny-ings-5929195

I've given him a bit of a hard time up to yet but I really like his attitude. Not many people would have rejected the number 7, 8 or 11 shirts but I agree with what he has done.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #241: Jun 23, 2015 01:23:53 am
      Yep, paraphrased, he said he hasn't done anything to deserve playing in one of the lowered numbered shirts and that he didn't want the added pressure of wearing a 7 or 8 or similar.

Shame the likes of Aspas didn't have the same view.

Low fee, not an iconic number and knows he is a key player means there shouldn't be any pressure on him at all and will hopefully be a successful transfer.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #242: Jun 23, 2015 02:24:19 am
      I've given him a bit of a hard time up to yet but I really like his attitude. Not many people would have rejected the number 7, 8 or 11 shirts but I agree with what he has done.

Agree fella, personally think it's cracking choice and certainly ticked a few boxes with the fans with that move, good lad Danny!

Best of luck in earning one of the 'low numbers' think you might find you'll have earned that extra added bit of support with that type of attitude.
      jh
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      • a Red from the little red dot
      Reply #243: Jun 23, 2015 06:55:32 am
      “Obviously I am going to work my socks off to earn that number one day. For now I will take a high number and work hard.”

nice .. good luck lad
      jh
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      • a Red from the little red dot
      Reply #244: Jun 23, 2015 07:01:15 am
      crazy maths ...

Stevie started out with 17 before getting the 8

maybe Ings will eventually earn the 10

altho Carra never turned 5
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #245: Jun 23, 2015 08:00:09 am
      Good for him. Good attitude.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #246: Jun 23, 2015 09:30:36 am
      great attitude
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4923 
      Reply #247: Jun 23, 2015 12:45:53 pm
      Following up on what Crouchie & FL Red said:

Liverpool new boy Danny Ings rejects iconic Anfield shirt numbers - and vows to earn his place

Ings will wear No.28 in his first season on Merseyside, opting against taking famous kit numbers worn by the likes of Dalglish, Suarez and Gerrard.

Danny Ings was handed a free choice of squad numbers when he sealed his transfer to Liverpool.

It took him only few minutes to decide to sign, and complete a move he said yesterday was “an unbelievable dream come true.”

But when presented with a list of available shirts to launch his Anfield career, he paused for thought. Ghosts of legends past were all around.

How about the famous No.7? As worn by Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Peter Beardsley, Steve McManaman and more recently Luis Suarez.

Or what about No.8? Just vacated by Steven Gerrard after almost two decades of service.

Stepping into the boots of such giants is a heavy burden for a youngster – and could invite unhelpful comparisons.

One day Ings, 22, wants one of those iconic shirts. But for now he is staying humble, and vowing to earn his place in Liverpool history, rather than an easy inheritance, and instant star profile.

Ings talks of his absolute delight at the season ahead at Anfield, and will wear a more low key No.28.

That doesn’t mean he’s not confident of making an impact and scoring goals, which he’s sure will flow.

He said: “I stayed away from the low shirt numbers! You have got to take that pressure off yourself as a young lad coming through. That is what I personally think.

What about a No 8? “I would make sure I am established before taking any of those numbers. It is such a huge club. That was the thinking behind it.

“I wouldn’t want to go to Liverpool and chuck a shirt on my back like that... it is pressure you don’t need. The expectation at clubs like that is huge.

Ings understands the history and demands of Liverpool. Win trophies, get back into the top four, challenge in Europe.

That is why he is keen to test his talents to the limit. Five years ago he was on loan from Bournemouth, playing for Conference South side Dorchester.

His rise has been rapid, and out of contract at relegated Burnley this month, he had impressive career options.

He explained: “I’ve worked my way from the bottom so it is even more special for me.

“I knew about my contract situation at the start of the season. I had a big decision to make whether to sign a new contract or not.

“I sat down with my family and agent and we came up with I was going to hold out. I had quite a strong season (11 goals), but obviously we went down and I was gutted.

“But I thought I did enough to get myself a good move and the next step and another challenge. It is a challenge I am really looking forward to and I can’t wait to get going.”

Ings, currently on duty with England U21s at the European Championship, said Brendan Rodgers played a big role in his choice.

He’ll have Daniel Sturridge, Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert for competition as lead strikers.

Ings said: “The strikers at Liverpool are fantastic. The way I looked at it, I will get a lot more game time playing in different positions learning my trade as a young professional, and I think he is the right manager for that.

“I have been playing one position for a few years as a main striker. I can play in a number of positions, on the left, as a No10, or off the right like today.

“As soon as I knew he was interested it was a no-brainer and it was best for me to join Liverpool.”

Ings hopes to spend another week helping England reach the Euro final, and wants to start against Italy tomorrow. He’ll then cut short his summer holiday to get going with Liverpool.

He said: “I think they were giving me three weeks from the last game of this tournament.

"I will be raring to go so I will probably only have two and join up with them on tour because I don’t want to be playing catch up.

“I would prefer to be around the squad and ready to go for the start of the season. I am raring to go and can’t wait to get in.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-new-boy-danny-ings-5929195

Disagree mate.

I'd rather he came in and backed himself and took one of the more 'iconic' shirts.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #248: Jun 23, 2015 12:53:14 pm
      Disagree mate.

I'd rather he came in and backed himself and took one of the more 'iconic' shirts.

Might as well wear a shirt with a bullseye on it Si. That would have went over like a lead balloon.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #249: Jun 23, 2015 01:03:46 pm
      Positive interview from a new signing, no surprise there, but admittingly, his interviews has been rather infectious than others. Still don't rate him, but really hope he proves the doubters (me included) wrong.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #250: Jun 23, 2015 01:25:13 pm
      Disagree mate.

I understand why you disagree, I just think the last thing he needs is comparisons to those types of players which inevitably would have happened [still could do really]. If it makes him feel more comfortable then I'm all for it.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #251: Jun 23, 2015 04:40:34 pm
      Good lad, great attitude. Will surprise a few.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #252: Jun 23, 2015 04:53:37 pm

Where did you hear that..?

I want a striker to ask for the 11 shirt and show some confidence and guts!

Quick Reply