Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Danny Ings (Liverpool -> Southampton)

Read 118861 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Re: Danny Ings Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jun 08, 2015 04:16:59 pm
      Another full game of footage here against Newcastle. Once again shows how hardworking he is off the ball, he will be superb in the press. It also shows how comfortable he is with back to goal, we will need midfield runners to get beyond him when he drops, Henderson can do it but doesn't do it often enough. He does not look nearly as comfortable facing goal and travelling with the ball, it seems to get stuck under his feet somewhat. Scores another good header in this game. I've warmed to him a touch, if you said to me Lambert's going, Balo is going, Borini is going but we've got Studge, Origi, Ings and we're also going to throw some serious budget at another top striker I would be pretty happy. I suspect a lot of fans feel the same way. But I've just got a sneaky suspicion that we won't do that Balo is still going to be somewhere on the depth chart come the end of August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTUrksqUnko
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #70: Jun 08, 2015 04:19:06 pm
      I agree mate but all the indicaters are that we won't be playing like that.  The positives for me is that Ings fits both ways  ;)

I don't think Brendan really knows another way mate so I bloody hope that's the way we're going to play! If he tries to play another way I suspect we will be in the market for a new manager by Christmas.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #71: Jun 08, 2015 04:23:00 pm
      I don't think Brendan really knows another way mate so I bloody hope that's the way we're going to play! If he tries to play another way I suspect we will be in the market for a new manager by Christmas.

I'm hoping that it was part of the "review" meeting that the suits have insisted on him getting back to that type of play as it suits us better than the stale, sterile, possession sh*te we were attempting to play last season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #72: Jun 08, 2015 04:24:16 pm
      Now although I'm not overjoyed by this signing, granted to the lad he does at least move so straight away he's a step up on the Lambert and Balotelli signings. Shame that like them two though, he lacks the quality we need. No better than Borini IMO.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #73: Jun 08, 2015 04:24:57 pm
      Now although I'm not overjoyed by this signing, granted to the lad he does at least move so straight away he's a step up on the Lambert and Balotelli signings. Shame that like them two though, he lacks the quality we need. No better than Borini IMO.

He looks better suited to us than Borini in my opinion.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #74: Jun 08, 2015 04:25:40 pm
      Another full game of footage here against Newcastle. Once again shows how hardworking he is off the ball, he will be superb in the press.

I read somewhere that his stats are above average in terms of recovering the ball in the attacking half, which suggests he's adept to playing a high pressing game.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #75: Jun 08, 2015 04:27:57 pm
      He's absolutely all action isn't he? Another very impressive video, a good header (we don't score many of them so that'll help) and bang unlucky with the shot off the underside of the bar. I know we are all craving a "big name", but I'm not being funny this lad up top with a fit Sturridge would give any team in our league all the problems in the world.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #76: Jun 08, 2015 04:27:57 pm
      Not really sure what you mean? I know I meant. I doubt Ings will become a club legend but he can be useful providing we replace more strikers and not just sign Ings.

What I mean is. A manager isnt going to look at a player and say, well I wont sign this striker because he hasnt scored the same as this other striker at the same age. Every player has their own path, there are difference circumstances for everyone. Players improve and deteriorate at a different rate.

Life in general and Football isn't black and white like that.

At 18 David Beckham was playing on loan at Preston North End.
      At 18 Darren Caskey was in the Spurs First Team Squad and was Englands u-18 Captain.

There are so many other examples like this. its just not how it works.

And just for u literal mf'ers im not saying Danny Ings is comparable to David Beckham.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #77: Jun 08, 2015 04:36:12 pm
      Fabio Borini scored less goals from open play at Sunderland than Assaidi did for Stoke in far less minutes last season.
      It is a myth that he did that well for them - in goalscoring terms at least.
      Ings record for Burnley is far better so any attempts to compare Borini favourably in terms of goals are really inaccurate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #78: Jun 08, 2015 04:46:38 pm
      Real Madrid have the bbc, Barcelona have msn, and now with ings, origi and sturridge we have the ios which i understand from some young people is some sort of modern technological gizmo, means nothing to me...
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #79: Jun 08, 2015 04:49:39 pm
      i think Brizepool hit the nail on the head if this kid was from Spain,itally the media and other top clubs would be sniffing around him, the fact that he played for Burnley and it british has worked in our favour as i think we've potentially got a real talent who could go on to be a real top player for us. he's worked his way up and has battled in the trenches of the championship which is a tough league. he then did it again in the prem in his 1st season so with better players around him he will only improve and has the right die hard attitude we need leading the line as we have been soft up top in recent years.
      he's a grafter will get stuck in and cause defenders problems, great signing maywell be given no9 if we dont dip into the market again for that position. unless we sell Sterling we wont be spending big this window
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #80: Jun 08, 2015 04:51:45 pm
      The way i look at it is it can't get any worse than it is . Give the man a chance and if the first season doesn't go well give him another one . It won't be his fault if he's played out of position .
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #81: Jun 08, 2015 05:00:19 pm
      Don't know too much about this guy, could be a great player in years to come, at least deals are getting done early with the least amount of fuss.
      There's no real way of knowing if someone will be a legend from the roots they came from, I'm sure even in the past when we were the best team around, fans wouldn't know if a new signing that came from a humble background would go to the next level with us.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #82: Jun 08, 2015 05:01:35 pm
      Real Madrid have the bbc, Barcelona have msn, and now with ings, origi and sturridge we have the ios which i understand from some young people is some sort of modern technological gizmo, means nothing to me...

Did you make that up yourself? If so, that's very clever.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #83: Jun 08, 2015 05:22:25 pm
      Did you make that up yourself? If so, that's very clever.

i did, need a lie down now, only wish we could persuade former atletic Bilbao player ismael urzaiz to come out of retirement and with ings and origi we could have the iou up front
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #84: Jun 08, 2015 05:42:25 pm
      Why? I don't think he's good enough to play for Liverpool and don't want him here. That statement belongs in the player thread not the owner's thread so mind your own business, please.

But that isn't what you posted in the "player thread" which if you had, it's a fair comment as it's your opinion. 

This is your comment that I responded to, a "fume" against the higher ups within the Club about signing him rather than a comment about Danny, the player, in his "player thread".

Furthermore we need first teamers, not more squad players. We need two strikers that will walk straight in to the first team and bang 20+ goals a season, players that will strike fear in to the hearts of opposing team's defenders, not someone who got less goals than one of our midfielders last season. This signing has me more furious at the club than at any time since the height of Hodge days.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #85: Jun 08, 2015 05:46:26 pm
      I feel bad for this guy. He's a 22 year old who had a good season last year. He signs for his biggest club. Probably the best day of his life and All over the news and social media is about how Liverpool fans are upset and disappointed by the signing.

Way to show support before the poor guy has kicked a ball.

Then we wonder why he'll lose confidence if he misses a few chances when the crowd gets on his back.

Best fans in the world apparently smh.

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015 08:04:20 pm by PastorGeek »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #86: Jun 08, 2015 05:52:09 pm
      Furthermore we need first teamers, not more squad players. We need two strikers that will walk straight in to the first team and bang 20+ goals a season, players that will strike fear in to the hearts of opposing team's defenders, not someone who got less goals than one of our midfielders last season. This signing has me more furious at the club than at any time since the height of Hodge days.

Good midtable signing...This is new lfc way :)

Have the Souness years and the whole of the 90's been collectively erased from the memories of some Liverpool fans?

Asking for a friend.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #87: Jun 08, 2015 06:04:28 pm
      Fantastic signing! Bet he proves a lot of people wrong next season.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #88: Jun 08, 2015 06:30:01 pm
      I've watched those videos and a few others, the two things I come away with are that he looks trainable and adaptable.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #89: Jun 08, 2015 06:42:50 pm
      I've watched those videos and a few others, the two things I come away with are that he looks trainable and adaptable.

Let's hope we get the coaches capable of it then.

I think he'll do fine as a 4th choice striker, yet to be convinced that's what he's signing as though. The moment a player gets signed who is around the Sturridge level but obviously without the injuries then this signing becomes fine with me.

I think he's much more the mould that we need and I'd be happier seeing this lad come off the bench than I would Balotelli or Borini.

Welcome to the club Danny.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #90: Jun 08, 2015 06:56:45 pm
      From SAS to DAD (Danny & Danny)

Can't say I'm over the moon the signing, much like the Milner one. But, he's got to be an improvement on Balotelli, Lambert, Borini and Aspas. And ultimately you sign players to improve on what you've get.

Best of luck Danny lad.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 334 
      Reply #91: Jun 08, 2015 07:02:24 pm
      I feel bad for this guy. He's a 22 year old who had a good season last year. He signs for his biggest club. Probably the best say of his life and All over the news and social media is about how Liverpool fans are upset and disappointed by the signing.

Way to show support before the poor guy has kicked a ball.

Then we wonder why he'll lose confidence if he misses a few chances when the crowd gets on his back.

Best fans in the world apparently smh.

I'm with you mate.  And Danny Ings.  I thing he'll be a revelation, and I'm prepared to give him time to get there.  If he's playing for us I'll cheer him on, let's not forget who we are. 

Quick Reply