Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Baku 2015 European Games

Read 4459 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Baku 2015 European Games
      Jun 12, 2015 02:38:37 pm

Starting today. Anyone watching it?
      Bier
      Re: Baku 2015 European Games
      Reply #1: Jun 12, 2015 02:39:46 pm
      Never heard of this untill now Diego.

After some research, apparently my country won the 2019 bid to organise this but gave it back because the Dutch government refused to fund it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2: Jun 12, 2015 02:44:28 pm
      Never heard of this untill now Diego.

After some research, apparently my country won the 2019 bid to organise this but gave it back because the Dutch government refused to fund it.

I think most continents have their own "mini" olympics, such as the Pan American games or the Asian games, with olympic sports played by athletes from a more limited geographical range.

Europe didn't so this is the first European Games.

There was a tragic accident in the athletes Village with 3 athletes being hit by a bus. One of them is in an induced comma it seems.
      Bier
      Reply #3: Jun 12, 2015 02:55:57 pm
      I think most continents have their own "mini" olympics, such as the Pan American games or the Asian games, with olympic sports played by athletes from a more limited geographical range.

Europe didn't so this is the first European Games.

There was a tragic accident in the athletes Village with 3 athletes being hit by a bus. One of them is in an induced comma it seems.

Yeah, I'm reading a bunch of big names aren't even attending. Apparently we're only sending our best with Judo, and only because the European Championships Judo have been made part of this event.

Weird location to hold the first event of this.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Jun 12, 2015 03:03:52 pm
      Yeah, I'm reading a bunch of big names aren't even attending. Apparently we're only sending our best with Judo, and only because the European Championships Judo have been made part of this event.

Weird location to hold the first event of this.

Yeah this is not uncommon in Pan American games either. The USA never send their best, so you never have a Michael Phelps, for instance... in the 2007 Pan American games that Rio hosted, Brazil won a lot of medals in swimming and the swimmer Thiago Pereira was a sensation. Due to the excitement of hosting the games in the country, a lot of people badly overreacted to those medals thinking they were going to see a repeat in the next Olympics, which never happened of course (Thiago is a good swimmer though, he won a silver medal in London 2012... but in Rio 2007 he got 6 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze :D He won further 6 golds in Guadalajara 2011)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2015 02:51:40 pm
      Normally I love watching things like this, I'm into athletics and the Olympic sports but I've not taken any interest in this. If countries aren't taking it seriously enough to send some of their best athletes then they can't expect that many people to get pumped up about it. Says it all when a country refuses to fund the next event :D

Quick Reply