Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Legends 2-4 Real Madrid (Bernabeu) 14 June 2015

Read 7092 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: LFC Legends 2-4 Real Madrid (Bernabeu) 14 June 2015
      Reply #23: Jun 14, 2015 09:33:25 pm
      Gotta say it's hard to call some of those legends.

I only saw the 2nd unfortunately. Be the half I saw was not the the greatest.

I suspect the players we call legend, are now too old to play.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24: Jun 14, 2015 09:39:44 pm
      I just can't forgive Owen firstly for leaving Rafa in the lurch and then signing for UTD. Macca could have been a legend but he did the same virtually held the club to randsome for months.
      Robbie definitely Jason Macateer,Harry kewel no thanks. Ian Rush is a God not a legend and having watched the 2005 CL final in super slow motion Dudek is deifinitely a legend
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #25: Jun 14, 2015 10:42:46 pm
      I only saw the 2nd unfortunately. Be the half I saw was not the the greatest.

I suspect the players we call legend, are now too old to play.

That pic of the "squad";

Kewell - no, part of the Champions League side or not he was sh*t during his Liverpool career.
      Westerveld - no, but I always liked him as a keeper and helped us win the treble
      Rush - yes, all time top goalscorer, says it all.
      McManaman - halfy/halfy, if he put the effort in his final year he'd be a certainty but before that he was quality for us.
      Xavier - no, but he'll always be remembered fondly for that goal against Everton.
      Kvrame - no F***ing chance, one of the worst players I've seen wear a Liverpool shirt (and I've seen Abel Xavier)
      Rob Jones - no, but still a great player.
      McAteer - no, always thought he was sh*t.
      Berger - no, but still the best natural left winger we've had in the Prem (after Digger who'd moved into the middle of the park for most of the Prem)
      Smicer - no, his heroics in Istanbul don't hide the fact that he weren't good enough for this club.
      Owen - yes, he was a tw*t for signing for United but as a Liverpool player he was as good as anybody in the world.
      Dudek - no, like Vladi his heroics in Istanbul don't hide his poor overall Liverpool career. Hero but not legend.
      Henchoz - no, but I F***ing loved the man. Thought he was boss, alongside Sami.
      Partridge - no, most of this forum won't even remember Richie Partridge. Talented youngster who just never made the grade.
      Fowler - yes, my all time favourite player is as good as it gets in a Liverpool shirt.
      Garcia - no, but will be thought of as one by most because of the 2005 run.
      Harkness - no, bit like Partridge they'll be a large portion of the forum who don't know Steve Harkness.
      Carragher - yes, undoubtedly.
      Thompson - no, good little player but injuries cut his Liverpool career short and he never seemed to have a kit that fitted him.
      Diao - no F***ing way
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #26: Jun 14, 2015 10:45:40 pm
      Two lovely crosses from Mcateer to set up the goals .
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #27: Jun 14, 2015 10:49:49 pm
      That pic of the "squad";

Kewell - no, part of the Champions League side or not he was sh*t during his Liverpool career.
      Westerveld - no, but I always liked him as a keeper and helped us win the treble
      McManaman - halfy/halfy, if he put the effort in his final year he'd be a certainty but before that he was quality for us.
      Xavier - no, but he'll always be remembered fondly for that goal against Everton.
      Kvrame - no F***ing chance, one of the worst players I've seen wear a Liverpool shirt (and I've seen Abel Xavier)
      Berger - no, but still the best natural left winger we've had in the Prem (after Digger who'd moved into the middle of the park for most of the Prem)
      Smicer - no, his heroics in Istanbul don't hide the fact that he weren't good enough for this club.
      Owen - yes, he was a tw*t for signing for United but as a Liverpool player he was as good as anybody in the world.
      Dudek - no, like Vladi his heroics in Istanbul don't hide his poor overall Liverpool career. Hero but not legend.
      Partridge - no, most of this forum won't even remember Richie Partridge. Talented youngster who just never made the grade.
      Fowler - yes, my all time favourite player is as good as it gets in a Liverpool shirt.
      Harkness - no, bit like Partridge they'll be a large portion of the forum who don't know Steve Harkness.
      Thompson - no, good little player but injuries cut his Liverpool career short and he never seemed to have a kit that fitted him.
      Diao - no F***ing way

This belongs in a nutshell.

Couldn't agree more.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #28: Jun 14, 2015 11:15:23 pm
      That pic of the "squad";

Diao - no F***ing way
      It's that word legend again , it keeps getting smaller as time goes by . Harry F***ing Kewell , someones taking the piss .

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #29: Jun 15, 2015 05:23:26 am
      That pic of the "squad";

Diao - no F***ing way

That's a team short on "legends" alright! I'd disagree with you about McAteer and Dudek being poor though, McAteer was a good attacking player out in the right wing, always looking to go forward, we could be doing with a player like that today, and Dudek was an excellent shot stopper.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30: Jun 15, 2015 08:40:32 am
      Folk always find something to get p1ssed off about, noticed folk on twitter slagging players for being called a legend.

Personally don't give a fuk, we all know who the real legends are.

I just enjoyed the game, and grateful all turned up to play. Ref done us big time, but who cares.

BTW. out of that lot maybe 1/2 a dozen are probably `LEGENDS' in our eyes, that aint enought to play 11 aside chaps. ;D

The previous legends team' seemed to play wee 5 asides tourni's so could avoid filling squad up with just ex. players.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31: Jun 15, 2015 08:54:39 am
      That's a team short on "legends" alright! I'd disagree with you about McAteer and Dudek being poor though, McAteer was a good attacking player out in the right wing, always looking to go forward, we could be doing with a player like that today, and Dudek was an excellent shot stopper.

Dudek was like a Brad Jones, he just happened to play for us in the Champions League penalty shoot out though.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #32: Jun 15, 2015 09:19:23 am
      That pic of the "squad";

Kvrame - no f**king chance, one of the worst players I've seen wear a Liverpool shirt (and I've seen Abel Xavier)
      Henchoz - no, but I f**king loved the man. Thought he was boss, alongside Sami.
      Diao - no f**king way

Get a grip mate! its a charity match FFS...

What should the players be called then? Madrid Legends v Liverpool past-players-some-good-and-some-bad?

its a token gesture that shouldnt be picked apart
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33: Jun 15, 2015 11:46:40 am
      Highlight for me was GOD playing in a red shirt again, was robbed with his free kick.

And Mcateer putting in those lovely crosses.

But above all, the Carlos penaltys. `SMASH IT!!!!` ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #34: Jun 15, 2015 04:18:48 pm
      You have to remember in these "legends" matches, being in any kind of half decent shape goes a long way in getting selected. It's not like Kenny or Digger or Molby are in good shape! :laugh:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #35: Jun 15, 2015 04:56:17 pm
      It's interesting to see peoples opinions on past players and whether they consider them as a 'legend' or not.

Kewell - No. Was so excited when we signed him but he was dog sh*t for us. I barely remember him being a part of our famous route to Istanbul although he did start the final. My last memory of Kewell is him limping off in the final before half time when we were getting battered. Shithouse.

Westerveld - No. A very average keeper. Had the opportunity to bang Franny Jeffers out and didn't take it either.

Rush - Yes. one of the greatest to wear the red shirt.

McManaman - No. Clearly talented and was capable of doing a few nice tricks but never consistent enough. Matured when he moved to Real and played in the centre but never a great player for us. The way he left was shocking too.

Xavier - Absolutely not. Awful player. But was fun winding the bluenoses up when he signed for us.

Kvarme - Awful player. Arguably the worst to ever play for Liverpool.

Rob Jones - Good player but not a legend.

McAteer - Have a soft spot for McAteer but not a legend.

Berger - One of my favourite players as a kid but not a legend.

Smicer - Smicer does go down as a legend for me. Anybody who scores in a winning European cup final for you will always be remembered. He was sh*te most of the time but that goal makes him a legend.

Owen - Absolutely not. Might have been one of the best players in the world during his peak at Liverpool but the way he shat on the club when he left and joining the mancs later in his career is completely inexcusable. He always chose England over us too. Never did and still doesn't give a F**k about Liverpool, only cares about himself. Even now he continues to suck Fergies dick, whenever he is given the opportunity he always says 'Fergie is the best manager I've ever played for'. F**k off Owen you little blurt. Makes me sick he was part of a LFC legends match. He gave me one of the best memories of my life, I was 13yrs old in Cardiff crying my eyes with happiness when his second goal went in but signing for the mancs just took away any respect I had for him. I cant stand him. Even as a pundit I just wana rip my telly out the wall and throw it out the window. I F***ing hate the little pleb. NOT A F***ing LEGEND.

Dudek - His penalty save in Istanbul makes him a legend. Like Smicer he was dog sh*t for most of his LFC career but that one moment makes him a legend.

Henchoz - no but the sami-henchoz partnership was a beast.

Partridge - No. Hardly played.

Fowler - Will always be my hero. The first LFC match I ever went too I saw Fowler bang 5 goals in. Will always love him. Legend. Naturally the best footballer I've ever seen. His antics V the blueshite were quality as well. Loyal.  Just love him.

Garcia - Fits in with the dudek and smicer category. sh*te most of the time but his goals against juve and Chelsea make him a legend.

Harkness - no, he was just a dog.

Carragher - He goes down as a legend because of the amount of appearances he has made but strangely one of the most basic/average players to ever play for us. Never been a great fan of his but accept he is a club legend.

Thompson - No. Only got a game because he was local.

Diao - F**k off.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #36: Jun 15, 2015 05:01:26 pm
      When we won the champions league in 2005... he performed when it mattered and made history. Who scored goals knocking Juventus and Chelsea out..Garcia. When we last won the FA cup who scored the goal to knock Chelsea out? errm I believe Garcia did! Of course it is a team game but his contributions were of great relevance to our most recent success. This was a charity game so it is irrelevant, but I think it is a little ungrateful not to think of of Garcia as a legend.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #37: Jun 15, 2015 05:05:41 pm
      Garcia - Fits in with the dudek and smicer category. Sh*te most of the time but his goals against juve and Chelsea make him a legend.
      Garcia got 30 goals in 121 games from midfield, which means he scored in 24.8% games for us as a midfielder. Other than Sturridge who has been injured a lot, none our current strikers cant even manage that ratio, so how do you work out he was sh*te most of the time? he was actually quite good until he went to Athletico as part of the Torres deal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Jun 15, 2015 06:24:45 pm
      its a token gesture that shouldnt be picked apart

Sorry, I thought it was meant to be LFC Legends, not LFC Token Gestures. Unless the two mean the same thing? Last I checked it didn't though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #39: Jun 15, 2015 06:48:29 pm

I know people like McAteer, me arl fella was a big fan of his too, but I just couldn't see it mate. Dudek, nah he was sh*t for me an all. I always say, he'll be remembered for Istanbul but his best game in a Liverpool shirt was the 03 League Cup final. In Istanbul he had his share of dodgy moments as well. Suppose it's personal taste though.

Get a grip mate! its a charity match FFS...

So you think they're all legends. OK.

When we won the champions league in 2005... he performed when it mattered and made history. Who scored goals knocking Juventus and Chelsea out..Garcia. When we last won the FA cup who scored the goal to knock Chelsea out? errm I believe Garcia did! Of course it is a team game but his contributions were of great relevance to our most recent success. This was a charity game so it is irrelevant, but I think it is a little ungrateful not to think of of Garcia as a legend.

You're obviously a glory hunting c**t because our most recent success was neither the 2005 European Cup nor the 2006 FA Cup, it was the 2012 League Cup. You also have no idea what constitutes a Liverpool legend because Andy Carroll is therefore a Liverpool legend because he scored in a game of a tournament we won. As are Neil Mellor and Flo Pongolle because without their goals, Garcia wouldn't have been able to score against Leverkusen (who you've missed out for some reason), Juventus and Chelsea.

Garcia was a good player for the club but he's not a legend. Plain and simple.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40: Jun 15, 2015 06:54:55 pm
      Garcia was a good player for the club but he's not a legend. Plain and simple.

Unfortunately Garcia's biggest problem was his inconsistency. Could produce a moment of magic but so often he would just infuriate the hell out of us.

But at the same time, we couldn't help but love him. Love him as a player but I wouldn't have him down as a legend.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #41: Jun 15, 2015 07:06:10 pm
      You're obviously a glory hunting c**t because our most recent success was neither the 2005 European Cup nor the 2006 FA Cup, it was the 2012 League Cup. You also have no idea what constitutes a Liverpool legend because Andy Carroll is therefore a Liverpool legend because he scored in a game of a tournament we won. As are Neil Mellor and Flo Pongolle because without their goals, Garcia wouldn't have been able to score against Leverkusen (who you've missed out for some reason), Juventus and Chelsea.
      Winning the league cup in 2012 was just a minor success to mask over how horrible we did in the league that year. It doesn't come close to winning FA cup and FA cup doesn't come close to winning European Cup. It's like crashing a Ferrari and calling it a success because the tires could be salvaged. How am I a glory hunter when I support Liverpool... if I was a glory hunter there are a lot more teams out there doing better than us right now. Andy Carrol helped Liverpool win the league cup not the champions league that we won, there is a difference. If Andy Carrol scored a goal in the Champions League it would be a different story. Just so you know lets compare stats.

Midfielfer. Luis Garcia. 121 games 30 goals. FA CUP, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
      Strikler: Andy Carrol: 58 games 11 goals. League cup.
      « Last Edit: Jun 15, 2015 07:18:11 pm by Ribapuru »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #42: Jun 15, 2015 07:40:25 pm
      Unfortunately Garcia's biggest problem was his inconsistency. Could produce a moment of magic but so often he would just infuriate the hell out of us.

But at the same time, we couldn't help but love him. Love him as a player but I wouldn't have him down as a legend.

That's how I'd describe his Liverpool career too mate. Love him but no legend.

Winning the league cup in 2012 was just a minor success to mask over how horrible we did in the league that year. It doesn't come close to winning FA cup and FA cup doesn't come close to winning European Cup. It's like crashing a Ferrari and calling it a success because the tires could be salvaged. How am I a glory hunter when I support Liverpool... if I was a glory hunter there are a lot more teams out there doing better than us right now. Andy Carrol helped Liverpool win the league cup not the champions league that we won, there is a difference. If Andy Carrol scored a goal in the Champions League it would be a different story. Just so you know lets compare stats.

Midfielfer. Luis Garcia. 121 games 30 goals. FA CUP, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
      Strikler: Andy Carrol: 58 games 11 goals. League cup.

So you're a glory hunting c**t, I was right.

Ta ra lad. I don't bother with those type of "fans".
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #43: Jun 15, 2015 08:08:49 pm
      I know people like McAteer, me arl fella was a big fan of his too, but I just couldn't see it mate. Dudek, nah he was sh*t for me an all. I always say, he'll be remembered for Istanbul but his best game in a Liverpool shirt was the 03 League Cup final. In Istanbul he had his share of dodgy moments as well. Suppose it's personal taste though.
      It definitely comes down to personal taste mate, I've had some intense debates with fellow reds about players they or I've rated that we've strongly disagreed on.
      There are some obvious legends, but there are some players that have created legends, Garcia being one of them, suppose it depends on what people remember.
      I wouldn't count Garcia as a legend, he just wasn't that good enough of a player for me, then again, I would consider Kuyt a legend as he gave his absolute all for Liverpool, some would disagree, each to their own.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #44: Jun 16, 2015 08:32:57 am
      You have to remember in these "legends" matches, being in any kind of half decent shape goes a long way in getting selected. It's not like Kenny or Digger or Molby are in good shape! :laugh:

They could play in a 5's tourni, I think Molby still does tbh. But not 11s. Mcateer said exactly that in his interview, his generation are the new legends team, as the previous one's are getting too old, the guys from the 70's & 80's are noe in thier 60's and even 70's for the older guys. some of the 80's guys are in thier 50's, so might make the odd appearance like rushie, but not be able to play most of the game.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #45: Jun 16, 2015 08:34:47 am
      BTW. Garica is a Legend, even if it's just for that goal v Chavski.

And every player who played a part in the 2005 champions league final, I would say was a legend. Winning that game, goes down as a legend no problem with me, no matter who they are, what they did b4 or after.

That is a massive part of our history, and is the biggest triumph in the modern football era for our great club, every one of those players is a legend!

Quick Reply