Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Legend or not?

Read 3473 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Legend or not?
      Jun 15, 2015 08:50:17 pm
      Just to follow on from the legends ( with very few legends) match, I thought it might be worth finding out people's opinions on which players would you count as legends that others might not agree with.

Obviously I'm not talking about players like Kenny, Rush, Souness Tommo...., just those that your rate that highly.

My controversial"Legends" are

KUYT - Absolute workhorse, gave his all.
      PEPE- Became a little error prone towards the end, but excellent shot stopper, and good distribution.

STAUNTON- loved Stan as a kid, used to always get forward, and what a crosser of the ball.

I could go on, but I want to here other opinions, so legends or not?

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Legend or not?
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2015 08:55:00 pm
      It's a word used far too easy nowadays and in my opinion none of the 3 named are anywhere near that status
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Jun 15, 2015 09:01:57 pm
       First off for me has to be Billy Liddell, he had it all  and also was very loyal to L.F.C.
       Second has to be the 1965 F.A. Cup winning team, we had waited so long for that cup.
       Better stop now as I have seen so many great footballers wear our shirt.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Jun 15, 2015 09:04:00 pm
      Terry Mac, Steve McMahon and Jimmy Case are my unsung heroes.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #4: Jun 15, 2015 09:21:16 pm
      Its the ones you're still talking about many years later, the ones of whom you remember only the good things, the great things.  The ones who seemed to epitomise the ideals of the club when your passion was at its height...
      And if they're from down the road, or unsung by the uninitiated, so much the better. 
      Very few from the last 20 years are up with the legends of the 70s and 80s.

For me its a word that's debased and meaningless now, overused and too easily thrown about by rabid pundits and over-excited fans.  Like 'world-class'.

But mine's Ray Kennedy, so I put him in my username. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #5: Jun 15, 2015 09:50:42 pm
      Good idea for a discussion mate, though you know it'll turn into World War III as soon as a name some don't agree with pops up.

Mine, who some might not consider, are probably odd choices given what I said in the "legends" match thread with Madrid. Given how I didn't class Rob Jones (though I absolutely loved him as a player) as a legend, it's going to be a bit odd that I do consider both Steve Finnan and Markus Babbel as Liverpool legends.

Finnan was as reliable and solid a right back as I've seen in the Premiership. One of those who just went about his business, nothing flashy or stand out performer but a regular 8/10. Babbel on the other hand was always a personal favourite of mine. Probably my fave defender in our 2001 treble winning side, which is up against some tough competition with Carra/Hyypia/Henchoz. If he didn't get that horrific injury that stopped him even walking, let alone playing, for a long time, we wouldn't of bought Steve Finnan in my opinion because Babbel would of had the right back slot sewn up.

Going to way before my time, I'm gonna throw another full back's name into the hat. Gerry Byrne. I don't think that fella gets half as much credit as he deserves. He'll always be remembered for the 65 Cup final, playing with a broken collar bone for the majority of that match, but from I've heard of his playing days he was as solid as they come. Whenever our greatest XI is mentioned, Gerry never seems to get mentioned.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6: Jun 15, 2015 10:10:01 pm
      Major legends below.

Gerrard
      Carragher
      Folwer
      McManaman
      Rush
      Kenny

There are some I would call minor legends I don't want to list them all.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: Jun 15, 2015 10:22:55 pm

There are some I would call minor legends I don't want to list them all.

That's kinda the point of the thread though! There's no wrong answer, everyone will have different opinions.

Good idea for a discussion mate, though you know it'll turn into World War III as soon as a name some don't agree with pops up.

Mine, who some might not consider, are probably odd choices given what I said in the "legends" match thread with Madrid. Given how I didn't class Rob Jones (though I absolutely loved him as a player) as a legend, it's going to be a bit odd that I do consider both Steve Finnan and Markus Babbel as Liverpool legends.

Finnan was as reliable and solid a right back as I've seen in the Premiership. One of those who just went about his business, nothing flashy or stand out performer but a regular 8/10. Babbel on the other hand was always a personal favourite of mine. Probably my fave defender in our 2001 treble winning side, which is up against some tough competition with Carra/Hyypia/Henchoz. If he didn't get that horrific injury that stopped him even walking, let alone playing, for a long time, we wouldn't of bought Steve Finnan in my opinion because Babbel would of had the right back slot sewn up.

Going to way before my time, I'm gonna throw another full back's name into the hat. Gerry Byrne. I don't think that fella gets half as much credit as he deserves. He'll always be remembered for the 65 Cup final, playing with a broken collar bone for the majority of that match, but from I've heard of his playing days he was as solid as they come. Whenever our greatest XI is mentioned, Gerry never seems to get mentioned.

Finnan was a player I loved, he would be one of my debatable legends too, funny thing though, he wasn't that great a defending, but a good outlet from defence.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Jun 15, 2015 10:45:09 pm
      Alan kennedy
      Scored two winning goals in the European Cup finals. surprised more people didnt mention him and unsung hero with the distinction of scoring the winning goal in two finals if that doesnt qualify for Legend status what does
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2015 03:07:38 pm by waltonl4 »
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 15, 2015 10:48:19 pm
      an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.
      "the man was a living legend"
      synonyms:   celebrity, star, superstar, icon, famous person, great, genius, phenomenon, luminary, giant, big name;

For me Steve Finnan is nowhere near legendary status.
      Gerrard,Dalglish,Barnes,Fowler,Rush.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #10: Jun 15, 2015 11:28:38 pm
       Tommy Smith ,Steve Heighway , Emlyn Hughes , Ray Clemence ,David Fairclough , John Toshack , Kenny Dalglish , John Barnes , Ian Rush , Robbie Fowler , Steven Gerrard . Just off the top of my head .It's going to be hard to replicate that list .
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #11: Jun 16, 2015 12:05:23 am
      Roy Hodgson!

He managed to become manager of one of the biggest club in the world (Liverpool) while having no personality and awareness at all, he managed to unite the fans in a common goal, to get him out!

He then went on to manage England ahead of Harry Redknapp based on......(add achievement here).

And who can forget his votes for player of the year? why go for exciting attacking players like messi, ronaldo or suarez when you can go for Mascherano, Lahm and Neuer!

For me, the guy is a legend!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #12: Jun 16, 2015 12:41:09 am
      Almost endless list of renowned legends but like Dunlop, Steve Finnan always comes to mind for me. I never saw him do anything flashy and showy, just done his job. Everyone rated Robben as a world beater, but he never got past Steve Finnan. Was more often than not, subbed off when playing against him. I loved the lad. Unsung hero.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: Jun 16, 2015 12:58:42 am
      The term 'Legend' is used far too freely and their is no shame in being just great or good for this club.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Jun 16, 2015 04:44:32 am
      This thing about a the word being used far to freely and thrown around/gifted to players who didn't qualify or warrant such a term being associated with them.
      Really the word legend could be used to describe a player that for an individual supporter has stood out for them for reasons they hold dear to themselves.
      A legend is simply
       a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Jun 16, 2015 07:04:20 am
      My list:

1. Gerrard.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Jun 16, 2015 08:28:20 am
      Off top of my head, Most names are obvious, All of shanks FA cup team, All of theisley & Fagans European cup team, then names add a few names like..,carra, gerrard.

But as I said yesterday, not enough old enough to make a squad up for an 11 aside match with subs, so lot's of good ex. players turned up. Nothing wrong with that, acually showed thier love for the club, listen to some post match interviews yesterday, about how great it was that the foriegn lads turned up.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: Jun 16, 2015 06:26:04 pm
      Roy Hodgson!

He managed to become manager of one of the biggest club in the world (Liverpool) while having no personality and awareness at all, he managed to unite the fans in a common goal, to get him out!

He then went on to manage England ahead of Harry Redknapp based on......(add achievement here).

And who can forget his votes for player of the year? why go for exciting attacking players like messi, ronaldo or suarez when you can go for Mascherano, Lahm and Neuer!

the irony is strong in this one (I hope)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Jun 16, 2015 10:00:27 pm
      How about a legends match with players we have been linked with but never joined the club?

Wonderful way to think what might have been.

Konoplaynka, Turan and Reus to kick it off then.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Jun 17, 2015 01:03:37 am
      Roy Hodgson!

You're confusing 'legend' and 'bellend'.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #20: Jun 18, 2015 12:43:54 am
      You're confusing 'legend' and 'bellend'.

Not really, think about it. In about 30 years you will be sat there in a pub with your old mate, supping your pint of mild and a double rum, reminiscing about old managers, then someone will mention Hodgson, then the fun starts, the rum is flowing freely and it will turn out to be the best night of your old life! All thanks to Roy Hodgson!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #21: Jun 18, 2015 05:24:09 am
      Not really, think about it. In about 30 years you will be sat there in a pub with your old mate, supping your pint of mild and a double rum, reminiscing about old managers, then someone will mention Hodgson, then the fun starts, the rum is flowing freely and it will turn out to be the best night of your old life! All thanks to Roy Hodgson!

When I think of Roy Hodgson I think of a grimacing constipated shrew. I can see your point of the legend of Roy Hodgson. I mean LFC manager .. really! England manager! His goal celebrations make you hope you don't score.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #22: Jun 18, 2015 03:31:56 pm
      Roy Hodgson!

Woy, is that you?
      Taking the piss i hope :)

Quick Reply