Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

A Time for Reflection

Read 9427 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      A Time for Reflection
      Jun 22, 2015 11:39:29 am
      The Labour Party in the UK has recently undergone a catastrophic defeat and is now in a process of reflecting on where it wants to be in the future. I believe that LFC is at a similar crossroads and we have a similar choice to make – the choice is between sentimentality and ruthlessness.

Let’s get on thing straight – we have a mountain to climb. We have tried buying the best available players for decades and we have failed to win the league. And that was when there were only United to beat. Right now, there are four clubs in the league who regularly play at a higher level than us and have more money to spend on players. Added to that, to all intents and purposes, we last won the league when Everton did. If we try to beat teams with the fourth and fifth choice picks we will never win the league again unless we find the next Shankly or Clough, by definition, once-in-a-lifetime managers.

There is only one way we can achieve success – that is to buy young, play flexible attacking football and have the team grow together. If we do not win the league with Brendan it will be a manager LIKE Brendan. That is the strategy that the owners have put into place – and with it we banged in a hundred goals and came a hair’s breadth from winning the league. Going back to the old way , which failed for twenty years would signal the death of this club as a “big” team.

The biggest threat to the club right now are the section of “fans” who live in a sentimental bubble of make-believe and who feel entitled to success without having a scooby about the discipline needed to achieve it. We have to resist the collected moanings of these hard-of-understanding malcontents otherwise they will drag us all down with them.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Re: A Time for Reflection
      Reply #1: Jun 22, 2015 12:20:29 pm
      Wow so your putting a drunk talking sh*te say anything for a few quid to the papers up there with Shankly.

Especially after Clough's comments on Hillsborough - shame on you!!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #2: Jun 22, 2015 12:29:17 pm
      ;D - so forget waiting for the next Clough or Shankly we would just wait wait for the next Shankly instead - a once in TWO lifetimes manager.

You illustrate the point perfectly - have a star.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Jun 22, 2015 01:07:34 pm
      That ~@£~ clough. why we talking about him in same breath as Shanks.

And I totally agree with the view that it was suarez who got us close to league last season, yes BR & the rest of the squad, obv. played thier part, and deserve huge credit. But without the main man suarez, it would never have been possible.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #4: Jun 22, 2015 01:18:42 pm
      ;D - so forget waiting for the next Clough or Shankly we would just wait wait for the next Shankly instead - a once in TWO lifetimes manager.

You illustrate the point perfectly - have a star.

Well we could have offered Carlo Ancelloti the job - you know only other manager other than Paisley to win three European Cups and would of came here. Forget the star and shove it up your arse  8)
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #5: Jun 22, 2015 01:22:50 pm
      Well we could have offered Carlo Ancelloti the job - you know only other manager other than Paisley to win three European Cups and would of came here. Forget the star and shove it up your arse  8)

Isnt he having an operation and taking a year out ?

And we have a manager currently.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #6: Jun 22, 2015 01:28:31 pm

We don't need a Paisley or Ancelotti we need a manager who can come into a team that hasn't won the league in decades and rebuild.

Try again.  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Jun 22, 2015 01:45:44 pm
      Wow so your putting a drunk talking sh*te say anything for a few quid to the papers up there with Shankly.

Especially after Clough's comments on Hillsborough - shame on you!!

Shows you the F***ing gobshites getting on here when somebody thinks the F***ing sh*te he spouts is worth crediting.
      Wish I had a gobs***e obliterator on my spyware.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #8: Jun 22, 2015 01:51:34 pm
      Shows you the f**king gobshites getting on here when somebody thinks the f**king sh*te he spouts is worth crediting.
      Wish I had a gobs***e obliterator on my spyware.

Funny how much time you spend talking about me though stuey - cheers for contributing  ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #9: Jun 22, 2015 01:53:00 pm
      The Labour Party in the UK has recently undergone a catastrophic defeat and is now in a process of reflecting on where it wants to be in the future. I believe that LFC is at a similar crossroads and we have a similar choice to make – the choice is between sentimentality and ruthlessness.

Let’s get on thing straight – we have a mountain to climb. We have tried buying the best available players for decades and we have failed to win the league. And that was when there were only United to beat. Right now, there are four clubs in the league who regularly play at a higher level than us and have more money to spend on players. Added to that, to all intents and purposes, we last won the league when Everton did. If we try to beat teams with the fourth and fifth choice picks we will never win the league again unless we find the next Shankly or Clough, by definition, once-in-a-lifetime managers.

There is only one way we can achieve success – that is to buy young, play flexible attacking football and have the team grow together. If we do not win the league with Brendan it will be a manager LIKE Brendan. That is the strategy that the owners have put into place – and with it we banged in a hundred goals and came a hair’s breadth from winning the league. Going back to the old way , which failed for twenty years would signal the death of this club as a “big” team.

The biggest threat to the club right now are the section of “fans” who live in a sentimental bubble of make-believe and who feel entitled to success without having a scooby about the discipline needed to achieve it. We have to resist the collected moanings of these hard-of-understanding malcontents otherwise they will drag us all down with them.

Yawn.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #10: Jun 22, 2015 01:55:04 pm
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11: Jun 22, 2015 02:00:44 pm

What do you define as the 'old way'?

I wasn't aware that the only way to achieve success was to buy young players? Thanks for pointing that out. I could have swore that the majority of successful teams build slowly and surely, blending youth with experience.

Are you totally dismissing the fact that had we been properly defensively coached we would have won the League? Oh no, i forgot, you are one of the people who blamed the 'Gerrard slip'.

I see that in your post you have totally dismissed the importance of the academy as well?

Fair play, Hollywood Balls, you are back with a bang.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #12: Jun 22, 2015 02:25:43 pm
      What do you define as the 'old way'?

I wasn't aware that the only way to achieve success was to buy young players? Thanks for pointing that out. I could have swore that the majority of successful teams build slowly and surely, blending youth with experience.

Are you totally dismissing the fact that had we been properly defensively coached we would have won the League? Oh no, i forgot, you are one of the people who blamed the 'Gerrard slip'.

I see that in your post you have totally dismissed the importance of the academy as well?

Fair play, Hollywood Balls, you are back with a bang.

It's OK it's pretty clear you don't have much understanding of the game - let me help you.

"Old way" - pick anything after we won our last title to before FSG arrived.

Yes, the slip lost us the league - Gerrard blames himself for that but obviously you know better.

Your point about being "properly defensively coached" is just silly. Pick any team from the period I mentioned - at the end of the season you could say "we should have scored more goals/we should have let less in" - fact is what we did that season was almost unprecedented - I can't think of many times when a team has played the most exciting football in the English league and gone from seventh to being champions in one season - perhaps you can give us some examples otherwise though?

The academy model isn't that reliable though it has its place.

Think that deals with most of the nonsense.  ;)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Jun 22, 2015 07:18:33 pm
      Hollywood, already getting the excuses in for a potential sh*te transfer window! That's a good little PR man, fetch!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #14: Jun 22, 2015 07:30:22 pm
      So we want a Brian Clough like manager.

A fella with two League Titles in over 20 years of management, getting his side relegated then running away rather than staying to bring them back up, took backhanders and was basically a c**t.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #15: Jun 22, 2015 07:38:05 pm
      Okay who in the flying F**k gave Balls a +1?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Jun 22, 2015 07:40:57 pm

Awe bless, the chief PR man's issuing a rallying cry to save the Club from fans that want and expect us to win things.  Are the big bosses getting worried that the nasty internet warriors might cause them a bit of bother?

Actualy I'm glad you're back, you've given me my fight back  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #17: Jun 22, 2015 07:43:55 pm
      Awe bless, the chief PR man's issuing a rallying cry to save the Club from fans that want and expect us to win things.  Are the big bosses getting worried that the nasty internet warriors might cause them a bit of bother?

Actualy I'm glad you're back, you've given me my fight back  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Oh wow, I'll stand back I can't WAIT to see the fireworks.

Yeh, we will win a lot moaning about the manager's teeth and his girlfriend.

We have a strategy and we need to stick to it - if you have a better one let's hear it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Jun 22, 2015 07:51:24 pm

We have a strategy and we need to stick to it - if you have a better one let's hear it.

We? 

Don't lump us malcontents in with the hierarchy, we're the ones destroying the Club, remember?

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #19: Jun 22, 2015 08:10:43 pm

Let’s get on thing straight – we have a mountain to climb. We have tried buying the best available players for decades and we have failed to win the league. And that was when there were only United to beat. Right now, there are four clubs in the league who regularly play at a higher level than us and have more money to spend on players. Added to that, to all intents and purposes, we last won the league when Everton did. If we try to beat teams with the fourth and fifth choice picks we will never win the league again unless we find the next Shankly or Clough, by definition,

Im just curious when did we try buying the best players available I must have missed it .

RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #20: Jun 22, 2015 08:19:56 pm

Eagerly awaiting your evidence of this being the best (and only) strategy to take us back to the top.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Jun 22, 2015 08:24:24 pm
      Eagerly awaiting your evidence of this being the best (and only) strategy to take us back to the top.
      It's the only strategy that ensures FSG won't lose money on their investment, without being unanimously turned on by supporters.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #22: Jun 22, 2015 08:30:26 pm

What evidence would you like?

We spent two decades following the route most on here have been advocating and couldn't win the league despite being the biggest, and second richest, club in the country.

This is the third season with FSG's choice of manager and in that time we have played some of our best football ever and came with a whisker of winning the league.

If you want to go back how much longer would you like to give it before concluding we need to change? another five years? ten? twenty?

You might ne happy with mediocrity but I'm not.

Quick Reply