Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

A Time for Reflection

Read 9426 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: A Time for Reflection
      Reply #46: Jun 23, 2015 05:01:30 pm
      The Labour Party in the UK has recently undergone a catastrophic defeat and is now in a process of reflecting on where it wants to be in the future. I believe that LFC is at a similar crossroads and we have a similar choice to make – the choice is between sentimentality and ruthlessness.

Let’s get on thing straight – we have a mountain to climb. We have tried buying the best available players for decades and we have failed to win the league. And that was when there were only United to beat. Right now, there are four clubs in the league who regularly play at a higher level than us and have more money to spend on players. Added to that, to all intents and purposes, we last won the league when Everton did. If we try to beat teams with the fourth and fifth choice picks we will never win the league again unless we find the next Shankly or Clough, by definition, once-in-a-lifetime managers.

There is only one way we can achieve success – that is to buy young, play flexible attacking football and have the team grow together. If we do not win the league with Brendan it will be a manager LIKE Brendan. That is the strategy that the owners have put into place – and with it we banged in a hundred goals and came a hair’s breadth from winning the league. Going back to the old way , which failed for twenty years would signal the death of this club as a “big” team.

The biggest threat to the club right now are the section of “fans” who live in a sentimental bubble of make-believe and who feel entitled to success without having a scooby about the discipline needed to achieve it. We have to resist the collected moanings of these hard-of-understanding malcontents otherwise they will drag us all down with them.

We've got a bogey  .......  Guess Whose Back ...? 

https://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY?list=RDYVkUvmDQ3HY

Real Thread Title 

AKA

We need a little controversy ......    It feels so empty without me  HB

(With apologies to Eminem)
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2015 05:15:46 pm by eurored »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #47: Jun 23, 2015 05:03:04 pm
      Sadly there are a host of smaller clubs who have been trying to buy young and build success and they have had even less success than we have over the last 30 years or so. So why anyone would think this is the only way forward baffles me.

For me the problem hasn't just been about wage restrictions, or not investing enough, it is about buying the "right" players. We have wasted vast amounts and we need to start getting a better return on our investments.

Our buying seems to be haphazard with no direction or plan (or at least none that I can see). Taking players who just happen to be available rather than focusing on the ones we really want and need. 

Certainly I believe not only do we have to start going for the right players but also working harder to "sell the club" to those players. Top players want to go to clubs with ambition and IMO we no longer seem to be a club that looks like it will do anything and everything for success, but a club that's aim is top four rather than winning the league.

Somebody seems to think it is set in stone that for every 10 hopefuls bought at least one will turn into a Suarez or dare I say a Sturridge or Sterling, either that or no one has got a F***ing clue and is limiting the manager to £25m signings.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #48: Jun 23, 2015 05:11:52 pm
      I wouldn't expect Gerrard to lay the blame anywhere else but at his own door, that's the kind of warrior he is.

We lost that League with the pathetic showing at Hull and the capitulation at Crystal Palace.

Our defence has been sh*te since Rodgers arrived and until that changes we will never win anything. At least that fuckwit Pascoe has gone and hopefully we can get somebody with a brain in to help Brendan out.

Now f**k off with yourself Hollywood Horseshit.

;D, still keeping up with the internet hardman act I see?

And you're factually incorrect about our defence.  Toodle pip.  ;)

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #49: Jun 23, 2015 06:47:49 pm
      HB can I just ask you to fill this in because I'm not 100% sure on your position tbh:

The Owners Should Be :

Because:

The Manager Should Be :

Because:

Other Important Points for the future:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #50: Jun 23, 2015 07:30:33 pm
      Oh grow up FFS.

This is precisely the point of the thread - because you have a sentimental attachment to Stevie being "our greatest ever player" you get bent out of shape at the mere suggestion he can't walk on water. Everyone makes mistakes in a career - he is as human as Shankly or Paisley or Kenny who all made mistakes. He's the same player who let Suarez in for both goals in the World Cup a few weeks after.

He fu**ed up - get over it. Stevie struggled to deal with it for at least the first half of the season - he certainly wasn't blaming the points lost at Hull - he was man enough to take responsibiilty so I'll tell you what I'll take his opinion over yours.

This is exactly what I mean when I say we have lost the winning mentality. If that was Keegan or Souness or Kenny or Suarez do you think they would have brushed it off and blamed the Hull result?

Sentimentality is killing this club.

f***in hell fella your arse must be getting jealous with the amount of sh*te coming from your gob, you think I'm being sentimental because I don't blame Stevie for losing the title, you get over yourself f***in BAWBAG, I can't be f***in arsed arguing the point with a f***in no mark like you, simple fact is we as a club lost points previous to the Chelsea game points that could have sealed the title even without stevies slip, not forgetting our capitulation against Palace,

Him taking the blame gives you an idea what type of fella he is, shouldering the blame to take any guilt away from his peers, I don't give a shiny sh*te what you think muppet, sentimentality is killing the club ? No don't think so, what is killing the club is our tightarse owners content in mediocrity whilst lining up a mass profit when they eventually sell, that and dickhead supporters who would rather blame club legends and fail to get behind the club as a whole, sound familiar, Balls, or in normal parlance, BOLLOCKS !!

YNWA

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #51: Jun 23, 2015 07:36:57 pm
      HB can I just ask you to fill this in because I'm not 100% sure on your position tbh:

The Owners Should Be :

Because:

The Manager Should Be :

Because:

Other Important Points for the future:

Hmm not really sure how to fill that in it's too open ended.

When you say "the owners should be" for example should I be putting "FSG" or "DIC" or do you mean "the owners should be (eg) less hands-on"
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #52: Jun 23, 2015 07:38:55 pm

F**kin hell fella your arse must be getting jealous with the amount of sh*te coming from your gob, you think I'm being sentimental because I don't blame Stevie for losing the title, you get over yourself f***in BAWBAG, I can't be f***in arsed arguing the point with a f***in no mark like you, simple fact is we as a club lost points previous to the Chelsea game points that could have sealed the title even without stevies slip, not forgetting our capitulation against Palace,

Him taking the blame gives you an idea what type of fella he is, shouldering the blame to take any guilt away from his peers, I don't give a shiny sh*te what you think muppet, sentimentality is killing the club ? No don't think so, what is killing the club is our tightarse owners content in mediocrity whilst lining up a mass profit when they eventually sell, that and dickhead supporters who would rather blame club legends and fail to get behind the club as a whole, sound familiar, Balls, or in normal parlance, BOLLOCKS !!

YNWA

Blah blah blah. If it was Allen who had slipped you would be all over it like a tramp on a kipper. It's pathetic.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #53: Jun 23, 2015 07:39:57 pm

;D, still keeping up with the internet hardman act I see?

And you're factually incorrect about our defence.  Toodle pip.  ;)

I don't understand how anyone who says that a defence which has conceded 141 league goals in 3 seasons is sh*te is somehow "factually incorrect". Are you trying to tell us that 141 goals conceded in 114 games is a good statistic?

Oh and this is considering the fact that we had conceded 119 league goals in the 3 seasons preceding Brendan's arrival so even though we've shipped 22 more goals in 3 seasons since he's been here you still think that its "factually incorrect" to say that our defence has been sh*te since Brendan has been here?
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #54: Jun 23, 2015 07:42:00 pm
      Is there any space for middle ground ?

Life isnt the best it can be at the club BUT its not as bad as its being made out to be and there is definately room from improvement

Most of that responsibilty rests with the manager

It is him who ultimately must deliver the correct tactics on the pitch to be successful

He is the owners manager - they changed their thinking to get him so he must prove them and us he is good enough

If not then he will be fired and the owners will go back to the DoF and get a manager in who will work with one.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #55: Jun 23, 2015 07:50:31 pm
      I don't understand how anyone who says that a defence which has conceded 141 league goals in 3 seasons is sh*te is somehow "factually incorrect". Are you trying to tell us that 141 goals conceded in 114 games is a good statistic?

No. What he said was:

Our defence has been sh*te since Rodgers arrived and until that changes we will never win anything.

We spent a good portion of the season playing 1343 which tightened us up at the back resulting in Mignolet tied  with Joe Hart and ahead of Courtois in the running for the Golden Glove with one game to go in the season so, yes, its is factually incorrect to say "our defence has been sh*te since Rodgers arrived".
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #56: Jun 23, 2015 08:11:12 pm
      No. What he said was:

We spent a good portion of the season playing 1343 which tightened us up at the back resulting in Mignolet tied  with Joe Hart and ahead of Courtois in the running for the Golden Glove with one game to go in the season so, yes, its is factually incorrect to say "our defence has been sh*te since Rodgers arrived".

But the golden gloves doesn't take into.account the number of goals we concede it's based around the number of clean sheets we keep. We still shipped 48 goals we still had only the 8th best defensive record in the premier league.

Oh and we didn't win anything so HS is right and please tell me in which "factual" world will we win anything if we have the 8th best defensive record In ANY particular competition.

As a matter of fact name 1 league season in.ANY country, one Cup competition in ANY country , one continental competition, ANY international competition where the team with the 8th best defensive record in that competition went on to win it. Until you provide evidence of such then HS is right we won't win anything until that changes, our defence has been sh*te since Brendan has been here and your "facts" are hogwash.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #57: Jun 23, 2015 08:19:38 pm
      Blah blah blah. If it was Allen who had slipped you would be all over it like a tramp on a kipper. It's pathetic.

Nah your pathetic fella, Allen slips, Skrtle slips whoever slips, your missing the f***in point wankstain, the points were already lost prior to the Chav game and the Palace debacle, and not because of anyone slipping, F**k me fella are you really that f***in thick ?

YNWA
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #58: Jun 23, 2015 08:51:51 pm
      But the golden gloves doesn't take into.account the number of goals we concede it's based around the number of clean sheets we keep. We still shipped 48 goals we still had only the 8th best defensive record in the premier league.

Oh and we didn't win anything so HS is right and please tell me in which "factual" world will we win anything if we have the 8th best defensive record In ANY particular competition.

As a matter of fact name 1 league season in.ANY country, one Cup competition in ANY country , one continental competition, ANY international competition where the team with the 8th best defensive record in that competition went on to win it. Until you provide evidence of such then HS is right we won't win anything until that changes, our defence has been sh*te since Brendan has been here and your "facts" are hogwash.

You are missing the point.

We went into the last game having kept more clean sheets than the league champions.

Therefore the claim that the defence has been "sh*te since Brendan got here" is, as you put it, hogwash, since, by definition, we had a better defensive record than the eventual champions for a significant part of the season.

The fact we ended the season with the 8th worst defence shows how sh*t we were at the beginning and end but it also reinforces further how the defence was sorted during the period I mentioned.

And for your information, we finished the 2013-14 season with the 8th worst defence - a period when you were no doubt jizzing your pants at the prospect of winning the title - which was clearly within our grasp.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #59: Jun 23, 2015 08:53:15 pm

Nah your pathetic fella, Allen slips, Skrtle slips whoever slips, your missing the f***in point wankstain, the points were already lost prior to the Chav game and the Palace debacle, and not because of anyone slipping, f**k me fella are you really that f***in thick ?

;D so we were just playing out the end of the season then were we? Chelsea match not really that important was it?

Yep you sound convincing.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #60: Jun 23, 2015 08:56:15 pm
      Hmm not really sure how to fill that in it's too open ended.

When you say "the owners should be" for example should I be putting "FSG" or "DIC" or do you mean "the owners should be (eg) less hands-on"

Just who you think so yes, FSG or would you rather someone else? And then why FSG in the three points below. It's a genuine interest just to gauge exactly where you're coming from.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #61: Jun 23, 2015 09:13:34 pm
      Just who you think so yes, FSG or would you rather someone else? And then why FSG in the three points below. It's a genuine interest just to gauge exactly where you're coming from.

Owners-wise it's difficult to comment on alternatives since I don't know who else would be available.

Certainly I wouldn't want us to be a petrodollar club paying players massive wages with money gleaned from all sorts of human rights abuses.

Neither would I want us to be the rich plaything of a Gazillionaire who decided to change our kit to all-blue for example.

Lastly, I don't want us owned by owners who would buy the club by leveraging huge debts against it like H&G or the Glazers.

In terms of the ownership model therefore I think FSG offer what I would be looking for - the intention to grow us a club based on our own success.

Secondly, in terms of running the club, I want to see owners who can take calculated risks and be innovative with our approach to things - sometimes that will work, sometimes it will fail but, in the modern game which relies so heavily on money, it is the only route to success when we have four clubs ahead of us in the league.

Lastly, in terms of characteristics, I want owners who are bold, show ambition and are ruthless. I think those qualities are priorities if we get to where we want to be. Looking at FSG i think its clear that that is their modus operandi. And by the way, by "ambition" I don't mean blowing 40 million on the flavour-of-the-month striker. I mean the kind of vision where you enter an unfamiliar sport and have the courage to back a vision which may involve sacking a club legend like Kenny because you think you know how to run the game better than he does. Right or wrong, that's undoubtedly ambitious.

So in terms of ownership model, operational details and characteristics I'd say FSG are my preferred options in this league.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #62: Jun 23, 2015 11:57:03 pm
      Owners-wise it's difficult to comment on alternatives since I don't know who else would be available.

Certainly I wouldn't want us to be a petrodollar club paying players massive wages with money gleaned from all sorts of human rights abuses.

Neither would I want us to be the rich plaything of a Gazillionaire who decided to change our kit to all-blue for example.

Lastly, I don't want us owned by owners who would buy the club by leveraging huge debts against it like H&G or the Glazers.

In terms of the ownership model therefore I think FSG offer what I would be looking for - the intention to grow us a club based on our own success.

Secondly, in terms of running the club, I want to see owners who can take calculated risks and be innovative with our approach to things - sometimes that will work, sometimes it will fail but, in the modern game which relies so heavily on money, it is the only route to success when we have four clubs ahead of us in the league.

Lastly, in terms of characteristics, I want owners who are bold, show ambition and are ruthless. I think those qualities are priorities if we get to where we want to be. Looking at FSG i think its clear that that is their modus operandi. And by the way, by "ambition" I don't mean blowing 40 million on the flavour-of-the-month striker. I mean the kind of vision where you enter an unfamiliar sport and have the courage to back a vision which may involve sacking a club legend like Kenny because you think you know how to run the game better than he does. Right or wrong, that's undoubtedly ambitious.

So in terms of ownership model, operational details and characteristics I'd say FSG are my preferred options in this league.

Ok, thanks.

And the manager?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #63: Jun 24, 2015 06:42:51 pm

For me the choice is between Rodgers and Klopp - i'd forget Ancelotti - he has proved adept at handling big players in well set-up teams but we need a coach that can add value to younger players whilst rebuilding the club. We need a Shankly not a Paisley.

There are strong arguments for Klopp.

As it stands he would represent as step-up from Brendan because he has proven he can win crucial matches and, so far, Brendan hasn't. That's why Klopp is the owners first choice - they have been in for him three times including meeting his representatives after Christmas. it's ironic that many of the idiots who have been slagging Brendan off all along for his teeth actually want to bring in FSG's first choice and they call ME the plant!

The problem is opportunity cost. For him to come here he would have to be given assurances of investment. Bringing Klopp in now would mean him restructuring the team around his own style and learning the league. That might cost 200 million pounds and take another four years. Meanwhile could we afford to let our rivals get even further ahead of us with the improved TV deal?  We need to get a manager in like Klopp before he ends up winning everything and is thus in demand from every club in Europe.

What is the difference between Klopp and Brendan? Klopp didn't set the world alight when he was at Mainz  - he got them promoted then relegated then couldn't get them up again. When he got the Dortmund job he won a cup but then ended up fifth then sixth the following season. After he went on to achieve success he had his best players taken off him and finished seventh. Sound familiar? In Germany he had a set of good players but didn't have much say in recruiting them. He also only had one big team to beat, we have four. He also had a massive advantage of Dortmund's fanatical fans. Can we say our team gets a huge boost from playing at Anfield? Plus - how do you fit Stevie into a Klopp side?

Nevertheless, had Klopp come here instead of Dortmund he would have been subject to the same abuse Brendan has - he would be getting slagged for his glasses or his teeth or his love of christian rock.

Brendan.

Brendan still has a lot to prove but what we know is that, at a similar stage of his career he came up with Swansea on a shoestring budget (they were training at a David lloyd gym FFS) and taught the rest of the league, including us, a footballing lesson. As i pointed out at the time everyone was crying out for Steve Clarke to be employed as a "defence coach", Brendan ended that season with more clean sheets than our star-studded squad which cost multitudes of ours and was coached by Kenny and Clarke.

Like Klopp, given the right players, Brendan produced some of the best football this club has ever seen. We banged in a hundred goals, thrashed some of our rivals and were easily good enough to have won the title if things had gone our way (as were Chelsea). Going from 7th to champions is virtually unprecedented - Champions nearly always finish at least 2nd the season before then get their summer signings right. And let's be right - we last won the league when Everton did. If we had landed the title with that team it would have eclipsed Istanbul as our greatest achievement and winning in that manner would have catapulted Brendan to the levels of our greatest ever managers, ahead of Rafa and Fagan for me. Imagine Everton doing what we nearly did - it's inconceivable.

This season the only attacking outlets we had were Countinho and Sterling who ran out of steam. If we had signed Sanchez or even kept Sturridge fit we would have made top 4.

That's why the owners have stuck with Brendan - instead of rebuilding the whole team they reason that an injection of 30-40 million may be enough to get us back on the curve.

We sacked Rafa the season after we came second - who knows how often that chance to build on that success will come round again? Many of the same idiots who were shouting for Rafa to go now want to do the same to Brendan on grounds of his "ego" or his girlfriend or some other such bollocks. No doubt there were pricks who wanted to sack Shankly when he came 7th in the season he had to manage European competition for the first time.

Which new, in demand, manager would come to work for a club like that?

There are no guarantees but I would say that, looking at the opportunity cost and what Brendan has done so far it is the smart move to continue with our work so far. We just have to be vigilant that the whingers don't scupper things before they have been given a chance to succeed or fail on their own terms.
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2015 06:59:20 pm by Hollywood Balls »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #64: Jun 24, 2015 07:10:15 pm
      For me the choice is between Rodgers and Klopp - i'd forget Ancelotti - he has proved adept at handling big players in well set-up teams but we need a coach that can add value to younger players whilst rebuilding the club. We need a Shankly not a Paisley.

There are strong arguments for Klopp.

As it stands he would represent as step-up from Brendan because he has proven he can win crucial matches and, so far, Brendan hasn't. That's why Klopp is the owners first choice - they have been in for him three times including meeting his representatives after Christmas. it's ironic that many of the idiots who have been slagging Brendan off all along for his teeth actually want to bring in FSG's first choice and they call ME the plant!

The problem is opportunity cost. For him to come here he would have to be given assurances of investment. Bringing Klopp in now would mean him restructuring the team around his own style and learning the league. That might cost 200 million pounds and take another four years. Meanwhile could we afford to let our rivals get even further ahead of us with the improved TV deal?  We need to get a manager in like Klopp before he ends up winning everything and is thus in demand from every club in Europe.

What is the difference between Klopp and Brendan? Klopp didn't set the world alight when he was at Mainz  - he got them promoted then relegated then couldn't get them up again. When he got the Dortmund job he won a cup but then ended up fifth then sixth the following season. After he went on to achieve success he had his best players taken off him and finished seventh. Sound familiar? In Germany he had a set of good players but didn't have much say in recruiting them. He also only had one big team to beat, we have four. He also had a massive advantage of Dortmund's fanatical fans. Can we say our team gets a huge boost from playing at Anfield? Plus - how do you fit Stevie into a Klopp side?

Nevertheless, had Klopp come here instead of Dortmund he would have been subject to the same abuse Brendan has - he would be getting slagged for his glasses or his teeth or his love of christian rock.

Brendan.

Brendan still has a lot to prove but what we know is that, at a similar stage of his career he came up with Swansea on a shoestring budget (they were training at a David lloyd gym FFS) and taught the rest of the league, including us, a footballing lesson. As i pointed out at the time everyone was crying out for Steve Clarke to be employed as a "defence coach", Brendan ended that season with more clean sheets than our star-studded squad which cost multitudes of ours and was coached by Kenny and Clarke.

Like Klopp, given the right players, Brendan produced some of the best football this club has ever seen. We banged in a hundred goals, thrashed some of our rivals and were easily good enough to have won the title if things had gone our way (as were Chelsea). Going from 7th to champions is virtually unprecedented - Champions nearly always finish at least 2nd the season before then get their summer signings right. And let's be right - we last won the league when Everton did. If we had landed the title with that team it would have eclipsed Istanbul as our greatest achievement and winning in that manner would have catapulted Brendan to the levels of our greatest ever managers, ahead of Rafa and Fagan for me. Imagine Everton doing what we nearly did - it's inconceivable.

This season the only attacking outlets we had were Countinho and Sterling who ran out of steam. If we had signed Sanchez or even kept Sturridge fit we would have made top 4.

That's why the owners have stuck with Brendan - instead of rebuilding the whole team they reason that an injection of 30-40 million may be enough to get us back on the curve.

We sacked Rafa the season after we came second - who knows how often that chance to build on that success will come round again? Many of the same idiots who were shouting for Rafa to go now want to do the same to Brendan on grounds of his "ego" or his girlfriend or some other such bollocks. No doubt there were pricks who wanted to sack Shankly when he came 7th in the season he had to manage European competition for the first time.

Which new, in demand, manager would come to work for a club like that?

There are no guarantees but I would say that, looking at the opportunity cost and what Brendan has done so far it is the smart move to continue with our work so far. We just have to be vigilant that the whingers don't scupper things before they have been given a chance to succeed or fail on their own terms.

Thank you.

Now... Can I make a suggestion, take it or leave it.

Post like this more often, because sometimes you get so caught up in what other people are saying I literally don't have a clue what you're point is meant to be. This was a good read and you made some good points. True I don't agree with all of it necessarily but I was never expecting to.

Now can we leave the bickering and start making some points about football again. I think it's clear everyone involved has the capacity to do so and fair play to you HB I didn't think you did to be quite frank. I don't think you're a "plant" because if you are you're doing a horrific job for the most part ;) and... Why would FSG who don't bother to turn up to Steven Gerrard's last game bother with an online forum's opinion? These people are cut throat and don't really care about us at the end of the day.

So no... I don't think you're a 'plant'... Or as ignorant as I once thought. Nice post(s).
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #65: Jun 24, 2015 07:17:30 pm
      Thank you.

Now... Can I make a suggestion, take it or leave it.

Post like this more often, because sometimes you get so caught up in what other people are saying I literally don't have a clue what you're point is meant to be. This was a good read and you made some good points. True I don't agree with all of it necessarily but I was never expecting to.

Now can we leave the bickering and start making some points about football again. I think it's clear everyone involved has the capacity to do so and fair play to you HB I didn't think you did to be quite frank. I don't think you're a "plant" because if you are you're doing a horrific job for the most part ;) and... Why would FSG who don't bother to turn up to Steven Gerrard's last game bother with an online forum's opinion? These people are cut throat and don't really care about us at the end of the day.

So no... I don't think you're a 'plant'... Or as ignorant as I once thought. Nice post(s).

Sorry to butt in here, but I just want to say that I've had some very interesting conversations with HB, both in threads and via PM.
      We disagree on a lot of things, but I respect his points and he reciprocates, and I think the reason for this is because I was one who didn't abuse and denigrate him when he first joined.
      Like many (including me) he got a lot of abuse when he first started posting, and (also like me) he gave those people pretty short shrift, which has led many to think he is just plain arsey and unable to get along.
      I've found him to be an intelligent, respectful and interesting poster, and the reason why is simple: it's because I didn't abuse him as soon as he arrived just because he didn't agree with me or follow the consensus.

FWIW I enjoy your posts as well, and find them to be well thought out and interesting.

Again, sorry for butting in there.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #66: Jun 24, 2015 07:32:35 pm
      Two good posts!

Swab has it exactly right - it would be entirely boring to come on a forum and have everyone agree with you - i am happy to engage with anyone but, like Swab, anyone flinging personal insults is not going to get a respectful discussion about formations in reply.

And yes, Magillionaire, the owners don't really care about the opinions of a subset of posters on LFCReds - I try and see the logic in what they do, they are self-made men who have made it big taking a series of carefully calculated risks and hopefully they are using that approach to bring success to the club.

Cheers all round!  :food-smiley-005:
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #67: Jun 24, 2015 07:37:01 pm
      All right, enough back patting, let's get back to the neck wringing! ;D

On topic, (and yes, good topic, interesting posts!) I think I'll reserve judgement on both owners and manager till the end of the season. A while ago there was a topic titled FSG's biggest summer, which I think is true. If they now go out and buy quality over quantity, we could be well set up for next season. However, it's an even bigger summer for Rodgers. If he gets his targets, as he appears to be doing, it really is all on him next season. FSG cannot be used as a shield for Rodgers to hide behind.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #68: Jun 24, 2015 07:43:55 pm
      Yep - agree with that.

This is the first season we will see a "Rodgers" side where he doesn't have to accomodate Stevie or Suarez - they were clearly too good to leave out but didn't fit his original vision.

He will stand or fall by his team this season; it's clear we have been buying with the team learning to play alongside one another and mature this season and the next. Lallana and Markovic have had enough of a grounding to produce the goods this season.

As we saw with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling, this type of play is additive - once ytou reach a critical mass of players who can interchange and play the ball spaces open up in defences as the oppo have to concentrate on double marking one or two players letting us get on the front foot.

Quick Reply