Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 370477 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1012: Jan 20, 2017 11:49:21 am
      Squawka Football ‏@Squawka  3h3 hours ago

Most Premier League chances created in the opposition's box this season:

R. Firmino (16)
      A. Sanchez (14)
      R. Sterling (12)
      S. Mane (12)

This is why I feel he's been harshly criticised recently with the "he's not scored or assisted in x" because you can't actually make somebody score you can only give them the best opportunity to do so. Bobby has been doing this so well without a true reflection being shown in the assist column.

Love your work Bobby, massively underappreciated talent.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1013: Jan 20, 2017 01:13:58 pm
      I don't think he's under appreciated at all, he's a top player. He was very good IMHO against the Mancs which hopefully is a sign of things to come going forward, but it'd be daft to pretend his form hasn't taken a huge slump recently, simply because it so obviously has.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1014: Jan 20, 2017 05:07:56 pm
      I don't think he's under appreciated at all, he's a top player. He was very good IMHO against the Mancs which hopefully is a sign of things to come going forward, but it'd be daft to pretend his form hasn't taken a huge slump recently, simply because it so obviously has.

I even question that personally  (top player). I think he's a good player but if hes going to play forward he needs to score the chances he creates for himself through his impressive work rate much more consistently.

His work on the left has been poor, and if you can't take your chances centrally, then eventually he will be replaced once we have a squad of forwards that suit Jurgens approach.

When the chance falls to him you would back him to shoot a safe shot at the keeper over slotting it past him in the corner and that has to change.

He will regain form eventually, but inevitably he will slip back to the norm a month or two later.

One thing is for sure at the moment, that we are a much better oiled machine with him up front than we are with Sturridge or Origi but in the Summer he might find himself out of the team or back out in a wide area.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1015: Jan 20, 2017 08:04:05 pm
      I mean, stats are great and all, but although the guy has been busting his ass off has much as he has accustomed to, it's there for everyone to see that Bobby is having some trouble with the whole putting the ball in the back of the net thing. He has in fact not scored in a decent amount of game. I don't really see how that statement qualifies as criticism.

As I said before, if the guy can be a little more composed in front of goal he'd be absolutely undroppable from the team.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1016: Jan 20, 2017 08:47:05 pm
      I mean, stats are great and all, but although the guy has been busting his ass off has much as he has accustomed to, it's there for everyone to see that Bobby is having some trouble with the whole putting the ball in the back of the net thing. He has in fact not scored in a decent amount of game. I don't really see how that statement qualifies as criticism.

As I said before, if the guy can be a little more composed in front of goal he'd be absolutely undroppable from the team.

Too be fair we have not really been creating many big chances since Christmas and you could hardly accuse him of missing sitters.

It's more of a case that the performance of the whole team and esp the front 6 has dropped off so you can't expect forwards to be scoring when we are not creating.

The return of Coutinho should see a return to winning ways even if it will probably require the return of Mane to go on a hot streak again.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #1017: Jan 20, 2017 09:27:21 pm
      Too be fair we have not really been creating many big chances since Christmas and you could hardly accuse him of missing sitters.

It's more of a case that the performance of the whole team and esp the front 6 has dropped off so you can't expect forwards to be scoring when we are not creating.

The return of Coutinho should see a return to winning ways even if it will probably require the return of Mane to go on a hot streak again.

Agreed. It's no coincidence that his drop in form occurred when he was shifted out wide and the drop in form of our team in general. He lacks the pace to go past a man one on one most of the time and he doesn't have the long range shot that Coutinho has when cutting inside. He was much better again playing in his central role against the mancs and that's his norm. Not what we've seen the past few weeks from him playing on the left. Our overall play is so much better when he plays centrally and we / him will improve massively with Coutinho back in the side.

As for him not being 'composed' in front of goal, I don't agree at all. I actually think one of his qualities are one vs one with the keeper, I honestly can't remember him missing many one vs one situations and he's good in picking up positions around the 6 yard box too. He does indeed not have a very hard shot on him, that's an area he can improve at. He should put his foot through the ball a bit more as he does occasionally fluff it a bit.

One of the reasons why I would always pick him ahead of Sturridge isn't only his much praised workrate. While Sturridge is very good at making space for himself by drifting in and out of games, Firmino is brilliant at making space for others. He brings others into the game and he is one of the reasons why Mane, Lallana and Coutinho are scoring a lot. As long as he keeps getting others into scoring positions and scores at the rate he was scoring at the start of the season, I don't mind him not being a 20 goal a season 'striker'.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1018: Jan 20, 2017 10:13:23 pm
      One of the reasons why I would always pick him ahead of Sturridge isn't only his much praised workrate. While Sturridge is very good at making space for himself by drifting in and out of games, Firmino is brilliant at making space for others. He brings others into the game and he is one of the reasons why Mane, Lallana and Coutinho are scoring a lot. As long as he keeps getting others into scoring positions and scores at the rate he was scoring at the start of the season, I don't mind him not being a 20 goal a season 'striker'.

100% spot on, well said.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1019: Jan 21, 2017 11:41:40 am
      Love him but as our main striker, I expect more goala. Its all well and good having good running stats and chances created but I feel his finishing is below par.

Not sure if any team has ever won the league without their central forward player scoring 20 odd league goals?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1020: Jan 21, 2017 03:55:14 pm
      2 goals aint enough Bobby.  We need and expect more from our strikers.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1021: Jan 21, 2017 04:30:08 pm
      Showed again why he needs to be in the middle. He and Klopp knew a false 9 wasn't needed, and today, Firmino showed how good he was as a #9.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1022: Jan 21, 2017 04:30:51 pm
      Great to see him back to goal scoring form.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1023: Jan 21, 2017 05:22:43 pm
      Looks like Firmino is getting back to his best. Immense today, fought hard to win lots of ball back and scored two well-taken goals. Shame to be on a losing side.
      Lead us to Wembley Bobby!

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1024: Jan 21, 2017 05:27:55 pm
      Thought he was good today. He's been woeful for a while but thankfully he looks like he's coming back to his best.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1025: Jan 21, 2017 06:00:31 pm
      Showed today why he always needs picked. That second goal was just about  as sublime as the one by Lewandoski yesterday to rescue Bayern.  He's class and just needs to play even when he's having a rough patch.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1026: Jan 21, 2017 11:54:09 pm
      Best player by a mile out there today and 2 quality goals. Only player I'd give a rating of over 5 if I was one to do ratings.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1027: Jan 21, 2017 11:55:09 pm
      2 goals aint enough Bobby.  We need and expect more from our strikers.

Right you've either been hacked or are just trying to wind every one up. I'm thinking hacked.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #1028: Jan 22, 2017 01:04:41 am
      Maybe Klopp will stop playing him on the left now? Maybe.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1029: Jan 22, 2017 01:10:17 am
      Thought he was good today. He's been woeful for a while but thankfully he looks like he's coming back to his best.

Agreed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1030: Jan 22, 2017 01:26:30 am

Hopefully mate.

He's so much better when Origi isn't playing. Firmino is by no means a player who can play out on the left and give consistent performances or generally performances he is capable of there.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #1031: Jan 22, 2017 04:16:53 am
      Can't believe people are saying he could/should be dropped from the team

He's scored 3 less than Luis Suarez had after 52 games...thats no mean feat, he also joined us around the same as as Suarez did...

Hardworking South-American forward who makes the team around him better...that description could fit either Bobby or Luis...he's only going to get better as Jürgen helps him add more to his game!

Give him time.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1032: Jan 26, 2017 02:38:12 am
      Invisible again.

1 good game in every 10 isn't going to cut it.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1033: Jan 26, 2017 02:54:56 am
      Sacrificed for Sturridge and moved to the right to accommodate.

Needs to be central of the front 3 it's where his most effective.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1034: Jan 26, 2017 02:58:38 am
      Sacrificed for Sturridge and moved to the right to accommodate.

Needs to be central of the front 3 it's where his most effective.

We played a diamond, with Bobby and Studge the forward central pairing.

So, let's get that excuse out of the way.

Quick Reply