Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 370179 times
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #253: Jun 28, 2015 03:40:36 pm
      When you consider that Sterling will go for £50mill, Markovic and Lallana cost £20mill+, the Firmino fee should be considered bit of a bargain should he live up to the expectation.

I agree with this one,if he lives up to the expectations than his fee should really be a bargain.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #254: Jun 28, 2015 04:19:33 pm
      http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/32506/9897192/roberto-firmino-disappoints-as-brazil-knocked-out-of-copa-america-by-paraguay

Liverpool new boy Roberto Firmino delivered an ineffective performance before being subbed off as Brazil crashed out of the Copa America on Saturday.

The Reds’ £21.3m signing from Hoffenheim started up front against Paraguay but ended up watching their penalty shootout defeat from the bench after he was replaced by Diego Tardelli on 69 minutes.

Firmino’s display will have done little to convince Liverpool fans he can be the one to reinvigorate their mis-firing attack – the forward didn’t get a shot away during his time on the field and only one of his passes led to a team-mate taking a crack at goal.

The closest he got to contributing to Robinho’s opener was a flailing attempted-flick at Dani Alves’ cross. Fortunately for Brazil, Firmino didn’t get a touch and the former Man City forward was able to convert from close range.

The 23-year-old had fewer touches (39) and a poorer pass completion rate (60 per cent) than any other Brazilian who started the game.

He did demonstrate his ability to contribute at the other end of the field, completing two tackles, one interception and one clearance but it was a less than inspiring performance from Liverpool’s big-money signing.

As he packs his bags to leave Chile, Firmino will at least be able to reflect on his winner against Venezuela in the first knockout round – but, in all, as for Brazil as a team, the 2015 Copa America has proved to be a frustrating and disappointing tournament for the forward.

Never seen such a negative article and blatant targeting of a player. No wonder players don't want to come and play in England because of the press. Not even played a game in England yet and already being roasted and singled out in the press. Disgraceful.

It's ridiculous.

I wasn't aware the Liverpool fans needed convincing of Frimino's quilty either?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #255: Jun 28, 2015 04:49:45 pm
      Because he's signed for us they will slate his performance, had he signed for the Mancs then they'd have said he was lucky and the Brazil team weren't playing to his strengths.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #256: Jun 28, 2015 05:23:19 pm
      For first time viewers of Firmino, I can assure you, he really isn't that bad :p

With a striker/support next to him or in front, he can be our Sanchez :)
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #257: Jun 28, 2015 05:32:40 pm
      For first time viewers of Firmino, I can assure you, he really isn't that bad :p

With a striker/support next to him or in front, he can be our Sanchez :)

Said this myself a few days ago, I just hope he delivers like Sanchez has!

In all seriousness it's unlikely he's that good immediately but he does have the potential.

We've got to try and not put too much pressure on he lad I guess. Let him settle and adapt, then hopefully we'll see what he's got. Just like with big Phil.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #258: Jun 28, 2015 05:46:38 pm
      What is actually his best position?

Would he be suited to playing on the left side of a 4-2-3-1? With Coutinho in the middle and and Lallana on the right?
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #259: Jun 28, 2015 05:58:23 pm
      What is actually his best position?

Would he be suited to playing on the left side of a 4-2-3-1? With Coutinho in the middle and and Lallana on the right?

I think his best position is as a secondary or support striker. Similar to Sanchez, as mentioned above.

However I think he'd be better suited than Phil to playing out wide, who is, In my opinion, wasted if he's not central. Firmino's directness and pace are good traits of a wide player.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #260: Jun 28, 2015 06:11:50 pm
      I for 1 could give a fook what any journo thinks of any players performance. Sky are a bunch of tw*ts anyway. Is this kid supposed to be mercurial everytime he plays?

If he had signed for Chelsea arsenal or Utd there'd be no comment

He'll tear up the prem league. Judge for yourself when you see him don't judge by lazy journalism
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #261: Jun 29, 2015 08:19:12 pm
      I think his best position is as a secondary or support striker. Similar to Sanchez, as mentioned above.

However I think he'd be better suited than Phil to playing out wide, who is, In my opinion, wasted if he's not central. Firmino's directness and pace are good traits of a wide player.

I think we'll go back to a 4-3-3 formation this season with a fluid front three with Phil, Firmino and our new striker (until Danny returns to fitness) interchanging positions. We could also use Lallana with Cou and Firmino as the front three. Clyne and Moreno will provide the width.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #262: Jun 29, 2015 10:28:28 pm
      I think we'll go back to a 4-3-3 formation this season with a fluid front three with Phil, Firmino and our new striker (until Danny returns to fitness) interchanging positions. We could also use Lallana with Cou and Firmino as the front three. Clyne and Moreno will provide the width.

I like the front three of Firmino, Cou and a new striker. However, in no way do I believe we should play a false 9. We need a striker who can finish.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #263: Jun 30, 2015 05:13:40 pm
      Can't claim to be an expert on this kid. Let's hope he turns out to be another South American gem for us though. Much prefer a risk on this type of player with a potentially very high ceiling than the likes of Lallana, with such an obviously limited ceiling.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #264: Jun 30, 2015 05:18:30 pm

Anywhere in the front 3 but just off the striker is where i like him most.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #265: Jun 30, 2015 07:19:50 pm
      i am glad we signed the lad, but i fear that some people will expect too much from him. We have been spoiled by watching suarez and Firmino cant live up to that. Not yet. Just hope, he doesnt get into too much pressure trying too hard.

Markovic wasnt a bad player before he came to us. Either he hasnt settled, or he is too lightweight. Doesnt help he has played out of the position. The reason i posting this here, is that i really hope that doesnt happen to firmino.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #266: Jun 30, 2015 10:27:47 pm
      Anywhere in the front 3 but just off the striker is where i like him most.

I need to watch some matches of his, can't rely on Youtube because Youtube is a heart-breaker and could make Titus Bramble look like Maldini
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #267: Jul 01, 2015 12:46:28 am

Sturridge
      Coutinho                Firmino

Backup:
      Lallana
      Milner
      New CF.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #268: Jul 01, 2015 08:44:40 am
      anywhere alogn front 3 not out wide and not asked to defend back past half way line let him press from the front and save energy to score and set up goals
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #269: Jul 02, 2015 04:15:10 pm
      New no 11
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #270: Jul 03, 2015 07:13:58 pm
      When you consider that Sterling will go for £50mill, Markovic and Lallana cost £20mill+, the Firmino fee should be considered bit of a bargain should he live up to the expectation.

Can anyone actually say they've seen him play? APart from the odd game here and there, remember Markovic coming with a similar hype last season.
      I'm not convinced
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #271: Jul 03, 2015 07:37:52 pm
      Can anyone actually say they've seen him play? APart from the odd game here and there, remember Markovic coming with a similar hype last season.
      I'm not convinced

Whilst I haven't seen more than highlights of Firmino, I don't get this Markovic comparison. Markovic had one season in a decent league at Benfica before moving to us, whereas Firmino's had 4 seasons at Hoffenheim in which he's played more than 30 games. In terms of playing experience in a high quality league, Firmino's far and away more advanced than Markovic was when we signed him last summer.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #272: Jul 03, 2015 08:07:49 pm
      Can anyone actually say they've seen him play?

Only started to watch him when we were linked to him end of 2013 season. Watched a good few that season and must've watched 15ish full games this season, enough to determine he can be a special player for us.

Whilst I haven't seen more than highlights of Firmino, I don't get this Markovic comparison. Markovic had one season in a decent league at Benfica before moving to us, whereas Firmino's had 4 seasons at Hoffenheim in which he's played more than 30 games. In terms of playing experience in a high quality league, Firmino's far and away more advanced than Markovic was when we signed him last summer.

This!

Would like to add, I believe he has a footballing intelligence that can rival Suarez, he's a better footballer too, but what he doesn't have that Suarez has is the finishing and explosive play.
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2015 08:41:55 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      JayC1560
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #273: Jul 03, 2015 10:36:10 pm
      Would like to add, I believe he has a footballing intelligence that can rival Suarez, he's a better footballer too, but what he doesn't have that Suarez has is the finishing and explosive play.

I recall when Suarez came he missed so many chances. If we can reproduce the same improvement with Firmino, hopefully we have another world class player on our hands. I'd take him being a little worse off in the passion department if he didn't bite people though.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #274: Jul 04, 2015 12:14:03 am

Maybe Markovic wasn't the best comparison. But how many great seasons has Firmino had?

You stated these facts about Hoffenheim, which is pretty irrelevant to me. Because Hoffenheim aren't a good team, they only got promoted recently and have never finished higher than mid table. So to me, Firmino playing 30 odd games for these a season is the equivalent to someone doing the same for Sunderland in the Premiership.

You also have to remember that although Markovic hasn't come from the strongest league in Europe he did come with european experience, and he did play a key part getting Benfica to the final.

Just find it funny how everyone's jumped on the bandwagon because he's Brazilian. Unless you have actually watched him on a regular consistent basis, how can you hype the lad?
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2015 12:25:53 am by anfieldroad »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #275: Jul 04, 2015 06:42:39 am

Quick Reply