Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 372956 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #322: Jul 26, 2015 12:37:17 pm
      Hadn't seen this till now, not sure if already posted, so sorry if it has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XMCEyNp35TY
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #323: Jul 28, 2015 02:42:57 pm
      Some good analysis on Roberto.

Liverpool FC analysis: What can Reds expect from new boy Roberto Firmino?

13:10, 28 July 2015
          By Liverpool Echo

How Brazilian could fit into Brendan Rodgers' new-look side

BY OLIVER BOND

Roberto Firmino links up with his new team-mates today as Liverpool report back to Melwood ahead of their latest pre-season game in Helsinki on Saturday.

The 23-year-old became Liverpool’s sixth summer signing earlier this summer when snared from Hoffenheim for a fee in the region of £29million.

But what can his new team-mates expect from the Brazilian?

Style of football

The 23-year-old is a highly versatile forward, and can play anywhere across the front three – including down the middle.

His flexibility, displayed at Hoffenheim and for Brazil, is something that would suit Brendan Rodgers’ fluid attacking formation.

Firmino has developed into a devastating goalscoring midfielder, with his dribbling one of his best assets.

His quickness and intelligence in his movement will be vital for a side with a swift, incisive attack, and given his heritage he should be the ideal spark for Rodgers’ new-look Liverpool.

Firmino averaged 4.3 successful dribbles per 90 minutes last season, with only four Premier League players making more.

He also created 2.1 chances per 90 minutes in the Bundesliga, only bettered by Raheem Sterling last year.

Tricky and hard-working

Former Red Ryan Babel, who played alongside Firmino during his time at Hoffenheim, has described the Brazilian as a player who can bring ‘joy’ to Liverpool supporters.

“He is a tricky player,” says Babel. “He can dribble, shoot, he has a great shot, he can play a lot of through balls and his assists are very good.

“He’s the kind of player that likes the ball at his feet and to do nice things with it, but something he learned in Germany was how to work without the ball and defend.

“I know how important that is in England, what you do without the ball. It was something he had to learn in Germany.

“He is actually also great at heading, which maybe you wouldn’t think because he’s not that tall, but he’s very good at it.”

If there’s one thing we’ve learned about Rodgers’ sides it’s that he wants them to press high up the pitch, and to be just as aggressive without the ball as they would be with it.

He wants hard-working talents, players who boast high work-rates yet also possess the quality to unlock defences and scores goals, and there are definite hallmarks of Firmino’s game that align with Rodgers’ vision.

The Brazilian averaged 2.7 tackles per 90 minutes last term, only six Premier League forwards made more, and his ability to close down opponents in attacking areas while remaining bullish enough to dominate defenders will be an invaluable asset.

Where could he fit in?

With all the injury problems Daniel Sturridge encountered last season, the fact Firmino featured in 33 of Hoffenheim’s 34 league fixtures in each of the last three seasons should offer Rodgers some reassurance.

This means the 23-year-old should be available more often than not, so where could we see him being deployed?

When Rodgers first came into Liverpool, he wanted to implement a 4-3-3 system, and over the course of the pre-season tour, we’ve seen the system being used once again.

Firmino could take up a wide left or wide right role, with one of Jordon Ibe, Lazar Markovic or Adam Lallana operating on the opposite side, but he could also be deployed as a false nine, a job he’s shown he can do with Brazil.

Roberto Firmino statistics

In a 4-2-3-1, the Brazilian could also be used as a number 10, in behind either Daniel Sturridge or Christian Benteke, or if Rodgers decides to go with the 4-4-2 diamond formation, a system which proved so effective two years ago, Firmino could be utilised at the tip of the diamond, much like Raheem Sterling in 2014.

Perhaps most effectively, if Rodgers decides to revert back to 3-4-2-1, a system which proved so successful over the turn of the year, Firmino and Coutinho could be deployed together in tandem, with the duo combining behind the striker.

Firmino became Liverpool’s third most expensive signing of all time earlier this summer, and although he will need time to settle and adapt to his new surroundings, his stats show there is every reason to believe he can make the transition and pay the Reds back on the pitch.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,168 posts | 6344 
      Reply #324: Jul 28, 2015 02:51:38 pm
      I feel like in all of the conserternation surrounding the Benteke signing, we are forgetting about our true "marquee" signing a little bit. I expect a lot from this lad, especially with the other attacking players we have to surround him with.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #325: Jul 28, 2015 02:57:19 pm
      I feel like in all of the conserternation surrounding the Benteke signing, we are forgetting about our true "marquee" signing a little bit. I expect a lot from this lad, especially with the other attacking players we have to surround him with.

I agree FL.  I think he's going to slot right in.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #326: Aug 03, 2015 12:05:39 pm
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #327: Aug 03, 2015 12:40:05 pm
      He best start against Stoke none of this match sharpness/Fitness BS he's had Copa America as his pre-season so should be good to go.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #328: Aug 03, 2015 01:17:12 pm

Lots of nice touches, looks strong and is confident, I'm liking what I see.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #329: Aug 09, 2015 11:21:28 am
      I must admit, I'm bloody buzzing at the thought of Firmino playing tonight. I haven't seen him in action other then the obligatory You Tube videos. I didn't watch him in the Copa America and I never saw him play for Hoffenheim.

I hope for 3 things other then the 3 points tonight.

1) He starts.

2) He gets to be on the pitch and link up beautifully with Coutinho and

3) He turns out to be the Superstar we are all hoping he will be. (He might not show it tonight, but I want to see glimpses  at the very least of what he can bring to this team).

F***ing BUZZING

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #330: Aug 09, 2015 12:03:43 pm
      I must admit, I'm bloody buzzing at the thought of Firmino playing tonight. I haven't seen him in action other then the obligatory You Tube videos. I didn't watch him in the Copa America and I never saw him play for Hoffenheim.

I hope for 3 things other then the 3 points tonight.

1) He starts.

2) He gets to be on the pitch and link up beautifully with Coutinho and

3) He turns out to be the Superstar we are all hoping he will be. (He might not show it tonight, but I want to see glimpses  at the very least of what he can bring to this team).

F***ing BUZZING

I don't think he's fit enough to start. I also think Lallana and Ibe deserve to start based on pre-season so think it'd be right to start him on the bench and bring him on in the second half.
      dflfc1
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts | 18 
      Reply #331: Aug 10, 2015 03:31:24 pm
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #332: Aug 10, 2015 04:36:10 pm
      Loved his movement to take defenders away from Phillipe for his goal.

Firmino to the right, Benteke to the left was just like Moses (not the player) parting of the waves  ;D

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #333: Aug 10, 2015 05:30:49 pm
      The ÂŁ28 million summer signing from Hoffenheim scored three times in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Welsh side TNS on Monday to step up his match fitness

:D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #334: Aug 12, 2015 07:28:38 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #335: Aug 17, 2015 03:05:43 pm
      He'll start tonight and fill his boots.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #336: Aug 17, 2015 04:28:07 pm
      He'll start tonight and fill his boots.

Think you could be right BBB, would love to see him and Can start, really fancy us to put up a decent score if we do.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #337: Aug 18, 2015 11:00:18 am
      Was a bit disappointing when he came on and I can see why Brendan hasn't started him yet.  He's still finding his feet and he's definitely not up to the same fitness levels as the others.

It'll come, as he's a damn fine player but it's pointless expecting wondrous things from him just yet.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #338: Aug 19, 2015 01:56:20 pm
      Actually when Firmino come on all I noticed was him working hard and hustling all over the place. I thought wow this guy really works hard defensively, I wasn't expecting that from a flair player.
      Makes things interesting the way I can read that many people thought he was anonymous or didn't notice him because of the limited time he was on the pitch.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,891 posts | 815 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #339: Aug 19, 2015 02:10:08 pm
      Actually when Firmino come on all I noticed was him working hard and hustling all over the place. I thought wow this guy really works hard defensively, I wasn't expecting that from a flair player.
      Makes things interesting the way I can read that many people thought he was anonymous or didn't notice him because of the limited time he was on the pitch.

I agree. He seemed hungry to help which is always a positive and which makes it even better is we know he is capable of brilliant things going forward. So his eagerness to help defensively is a bonus.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #340: Aug 19, 2015 03:09:19 pm
      Adding to fishpie & vsterling posts, keep an eye out for his movement, he is a well versed runner and very aware of his surroundings. I'd even go as far to say his footballing intelligence is up there with the worlds best. It's the reason why I want to see him play as a 2nd striker.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #341: Aug 24, 2015 06:35:45 pm
      If he starts tonight I predict he either hits the 1st goal or the winner
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #342: Aug 25, 2015 01:36:35 am
      Thought he was average but worked hard tracking back. It was definitely a game where I felt we needed him to graft. Had some lovely link up play with Coutinho, and that one moment of magic to set up Benteke was amazing!

I think we'll see the best in him once he settles and we shift him higher up the pitch as the ascending #10 or a roaming second striker.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #343: Aug 25, 2015 03:14:02 am
      Get his match fitness to peak level and he'll soon be up to speed. Was slightly on a different wavelength to the rest tonight as a result, but I think plenty of us saw something to suggest he'll do good.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #344: Aug 25, 2015 02:15:57 pm
      Firmino just needs match fitness and sharpness, but you could see his talent. Going to be great when he's fit and firing.

Quick Reply