Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 373275 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #368: Aug 30, 2015 12:48:24 pm
      I do agree with those that are not impressed because I haven't been impressed too, especially with how we are using him. I'm starting to believe this was a committee signing and wondering whether our coaches actually watched him at Hoffenheim.

I still maintain that he needs to play higher up the pitch, in and around the box. This is where he comes alive and can showcase his creativity, movement and skills. Also, I believe he is a clinical finisher. It's definitely something we really need to look into!

There's a reason why he has been shortlisted in UEFA Best Player for the last 2 seasons, and it's certainly not how we're currently playing him.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #369: Aug 30, 2015 03:38:59 pm
      All players will be struggling to perform under Rodgers's genius tactics.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #370: Aug 30, 2015 05:22:37 pm
      I can see Rodgers ruining Firmino by not playing him further up the field where he excels. Its no wonder Firmino looks lost when the manager doesnt have a clue about what he is doing on the attcking front.
      Lumping it up to Benteke........pfft even I can come up with something more elaborate than route 1...........
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #371: Aug 30, 2015 07:21:09 pm
      He looked real lost serving up that sitter for Benteke against Bournemouth and I've seen him make at least a few other really smart runs and passes. And that's after no preseason to get acclimated to his new teammates. Overreact much?

Not at all.  I didn't say he was the worst footballer in history or that he was going to burn in hell or something.  Just that he looks a bit confused.

In fact I think his highlights sort of prove that---when you're not quite sure what your role is or how you are supposed to fit in, you have to rely on your own individual talent, like he did with the shot he hit the crossbar with yesterday.  Didn't look up or around him, he just said, right, what do I know I can control?---myself.  So let's have a go.  And it nearly came off. 

I'm sure he will get better integrated sooner or later.  But for now it just seems like most of the time he's not sure what the manager expects him to be doing.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #372: Aug 30, 2015 09:21:14 pm
      But for now it just seems like most of the time he's not sure what the manager expects him to be doing.

Why does it always have to be about the manager? If there is confusion as you say...maybe it's confusion between he and his teammates...the ones that he hasn't played with throughout the summer?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,795 posts | 2447 
      Reply #373: Aug 30, 2015 10:50:08 pm
      Not sure why Firmino is getting so much criticism thought he was much better than Coutinho yesterday.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #374: Aug 31, 2015 07:51:29 am
      he has been training/playing for Liverpool less than 2 months
      I remember some were saying( criticizing) the same thing when coutinho joined
       seeing all the  squad  shoking performance last saturday, can't really point him out as a not good signing

YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #375: Aug 31, 2015 10:39:01 am
      I have watched quite a bit of the Bundesliga in recent years and to my untrained eye, I can assure you Roberto is not, currently, playing in his best position. Why? F**k only knows.

If I were 'king' he'd line up with Ings and Benteke [Sturridge when fit] in a fluid, flexible front three and given free rein across the final third.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #376: Aug 31, 2015 10:55:11 am
      I have watched quite a bit of the Bundesliga in recent years and to my untrained eye, I can assure you Roberto is not, currently, playing in his best position. Why? F**k only knows.

If I were 'king' he'd line up with Ings and Benteke [Sturridge when fit] in a fluid, flexible front three and given free rein across the final third.

Exactly my thoughts

Easier to get him into the league and system by getting him nearer the final third, I like you felt that's where he would play when we signed him and the fact he's "doing a job" wide, not getting the ball in areas higher up the pitch, almost dropping into a midfield 5 isn't helping him settle or us look any sort of fluid attacking threat.

For me I'd want to see

Benteke
                  Firmino               Ings

Have Firmino and Ings tucked in with Benteke, one could drop into the hole if need be but get lads in the box

Coutinho (playmaker slightly deeper)
                                        Milner
                       Hendo

Let Milner and Hendo do the running, sort the holding role between them, Coutinho more of an Alonso than part of the front three and a proper front three up top (Sturridge part of that three when fit again)

It's the best of what we have

Ings/Origi/Sturridge/Firmino as the front three options

Coutinho/Hendo/Milner as the main middle three but that also allows you to actually have a role for the likes of Can/Lucas/Lallana to stamp down as their own when they get time..
      If Coutinho needs a rest or rotation/subbing then the obvious change is Lallana for him as the creative 8 in midfield.. If Hendo or Milner need to come out Lucas and Can play there..

I'm getting fed up of players having to play in 3 or 4 different roles and not excelling and any.. Give them defined roles and if needs be through injuries or suspensions to an extent they need to play elsewhere do it as that plan C.. But ultimately give them a role to focus on.

Firmino looks lost so far, like he doesn't get what he should be doing. That's not fitness as the main reason, it's a lack of structure to our set up
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #377: Aug 31, 2015 10:56:57 am
      Agree with both Mouse and PD above.

Firmino to me looks like a 10 all day long and that allows Phil to play in what I think is his best position as the furthest forward of a midfield three.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #378: Aug 31, 2015 11:13:22 am
      We had most success with a front three of Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez - whilst they may not be up to that standard (yet); the closest we have to that threat will be Ings, Sturridge and Firmino.

I think it was in this thread that I mentioned that (in my opinion), with little or no additional coaching, Roberto could quite easily fill the role and become the threat that Suarez was. Let him loose ffs.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #379: Aug 31, 2015 11:29:21 am
      Agree - let him off the leash...............

Left back against Utd then............ :f_doh:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,795 posts | 2447 
      Reply #380: Aug 31, 2015 01:59:39 pm
      Agree - let him off the leash...............

Left back against Utd then............ :f_doh:

;D

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #381: Aug 31, 2015 03:20:23 pm

His best position is the No. 10 role, but everyone has a w*nk over Coutinho playing there, so Firmino, who IMO is a much better finisher, is forced wide-ish.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #382: Sep 02, 2015 08:14:02 pm
      He needs a clearly defined role in the team. I fear with Rodgers he'll be shunted about all over the place and won't be able to find form.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #383: Sep 02, 2015 08:30:18 pm
      Fluidity between Phil and Firm is key this season. I think both should be on the pitch as much as possible and be fairly free to roam so long as one is central and one is wide for most of the game
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #384: Sep 11, 2015 08:51:31 am
      Massive game for him tomorrow! Without Coutinho we will be depending on him more to deliver for us against the mancs.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #385: Sep 20, 2015 07:00:58 pm
      I'm struggling to understand why we paid so much money for what seems to be a bit part player so far.

Fair enough he was struggling for fitness at first but yet Lallana and more so Sturridge who has been out since last season, return from injury and go straight into the starting 11 and play well over half the game.

I was expecting to see him play in the week but he didn't so expected him to start today but instead he got about 20 minutes at the end.

What's going on?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,795 posts | 2447 
      Reply #386: Sep 20, 2015 07:02:43 pm
      I'm struggling to understand why we paid so much money for what seems to be a bit part player so far.

Fair enough he was struggling for fitness at first but yet Lallana and more so Sturridge who has been out since last season, return from injury and go straight into the starting 11 and play well over half the game.

I was expecting to see him play in the week but he didn't so expected him to start today but instead he got about 20 minutes at the end.

What's going on?

Rodgers hasn't figured out how to play him.

Along with the rest of the team.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #387: Sep 20, 2015 07:26:57 pm

What's going on?

Apparently not a Rodger's signing by the rumours mate and it seems to be playing out that way, expect another Markovic out of him then...?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #388: Sep 20, 2015 09:03:03 pm
      Rodgers hasn't figured out how to play him.

Along with the rest of the team.

You play him centrally like he played today for the short time he was on. He was wrecking havoc and with more time I think he'd have had a real impact on the scoreline. Can't believe he sits in favor of Milner.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,795 posts | 2447 
      Reply #389: Sep 20, 2015 09:11:58 pm
      You play him centrally like he played today for the short time he was on. He was wrecking havoc and with more time I think he'd have had a real impact on the scoreline. Can't believe he sits in favor of Milner.

Oh mate I know. It's clear as day he is a central attack atracking midfielder.

If Rodgers had half a clue he would have played him next to either Milner or Can in the centre of a midfield diamond.

But Rodgers pussied out as usual and went cowering back to his 3 at the back formation to try scrape a win.

I mean 3 at the back, at home, against F***ing Norwich?????

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #390: Sep 21, 2015 11:36:10 am
      First time he's looked good in a red shirt. We need him to come good fast.

Quick Reply