Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

A Statement of Intent.

Read 3809 times
      Bier
      Re: A Statement of Intent.
      Reply #23: Jun 25, 2015 01:41:27 am
      I doubt many on here had heard of him before we got him or if they did fancied him, which is indicative of the PR machine and the '0' or '10' rating system employed by fans. We all had heard of Suarez and he was confident because the world knew about him.

You'd be surprised actually, a bunch of us already started mentioning him as transfer target during the 2014 summer transfer window, after he had an amazing season. You don't make 16 goals and 12 assists in one season in a top league as a 22 year old without going noticed.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #24: Jun 25, 2015 02:07:35 am
      You'd be surprised actually, a bunch of us already started mentioning him as transfer target during the 2014 summer transfer window, after he had an amazing season. You don't make 16 goals and 12 assists in one season in a top league as a 22 year old without going noticed.

A few people probably got mentioned along with Firmino! I don't know if it is a statement of intent. I like the idea. Its what Milan always did went and bought the next Pele form Brazil and it quite often worked for them.  However they had a great team to go with it and we don't hear of the failures. I think defensively we are bad and we wont keep possession all the time and if team sit back and defend then aggressive pressing won't be that effective. I don't think we need a statement I think we need balance.
      The Welsh Dragon
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 49 posts |
      Reply #25: Jun 25, 2015 07:59:11 pm
      I think FSG changing their strategy and going for Bacca with no resale value and will be 29 in September will show real intent, scored 28 goals in all competitions, most excluding Barcelona and Real Madrid players. Showing they want some instant success will show we mean business.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Jun 25, 2015 08:08:29 pm
      I think FSG changing their strategy and going for Bacca with no resale value and will be 29 in September will show real intent, scored 28 goals in all competitions, most excluding Barcelona and Real Madrid players. Showing they want some instant success will show we mean business.

the great thing about football is you can change things very quickly and if you win a few games the previous defeat is forgotten.Its great to have principles in business but this is sport not business.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27: Jun 25, 2015 08:38:30 pm
      I don't think our statement of intent will show until all our business in this summers window is complete, including the outs, at this juncture tho it's not a bad start although I'd like to see a top quality CB come in along with another DM,
      I'd love us to go snatch Sweinstieger from under Van Gaal's hooter, that would be statement of intent and seriously piss the Mancs off,  :D,

I hope to F**k Firmino isn't our "marquee" and more quality like him are on their way, as for Sterling I agree we should only sell if he goes abroad, we as a club need to be ruthless and not be seen as a push over, I'd be saying to City pay £60m or F**k off, they won't pay that much, but if say AM came calling or Bayern I'd sell him for £50m, no less,

He's still a young boy, I'd would sit him down, tell him how valuable he is for LFC, (without his f***in agent rubbing his greedy f***in mits stood next to him,) I'd say look son, your time will come, give us two years, get your head down work hard and concentrate on your game, and if you feel you want to move on then fine ta-ra we won't hold he back, if he still wants to go then slap that "we're not selling you to a prem side" then sit back and see what happens,

Won't happen tho pubic 'Ayre' ain't got the bottle ?

YNWA

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #28: Jun 26, 2015 06:37:18 am
      We have an opportunity here and one we should not squander.

Firmino is the type of player that could have (under the right circumstances) gone to any club in the world.

At the time Luis came here he was not as big a name as this kid...so we have gone out an finally looked the part of being serious about what we are doing.

We will be looked at differently now by other potential transfer targets, agents and clubs,

This does not mean we are going to win the league next season or even finish top 4, what it is though is an opportunity.

I have no problem with the Milner/Ings signings, in fact I think they were pretty smart business but neither one of those made a statement.

We need to capitalize on this transfer and continue to push ourselves back into the conversation by adding more names an better quality.

We don't need to go out and spend 100m to do this..but we need one of these other S. Americans, and a Nathan Clyne to make everybody stand up and take notice.

I am pleased with what we have done so far this off-season..and I think we have the "football clout" (despite not having CL) to really throw the gloves down not only in the PL but across the global footballing community.

FSG over to you.

Indeed.

We now need to make statements of intent.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #29: Jun 26, 2015 06:44:11 am
      Indeed.

We now need to make statements of intent.

I think Clyne is a statement...you know the strikers available this window may not be the greatest...but a 20+goal/year guy would serve us well.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #30: Jun 26, 2015 06:48:00 am
      I think Clyne is a statement...you know the strikers available this window may not be the greatest...but a 20+goal/year guy would serve us well.

I don't even know what Clyne is like, in fact I could say the same for Ings, Bogman & Firmino - I don't watch other teams anymore. I know Milner a bit - but that's because he's been around for so long.

RB, DM, and a striker all in the bracket of Firmino (who BTW, I'm going by others' opinions) would be a good summer for us I think.

Speaking of Clyne:

Liverpool transfer news: Southampton accept £12.5 million bid for Nathaniel Clyne

England right-back will become the sixth summer signing for Brendan Rodgers and is poised for a medical next week
      Nathaniel Clyne is on the verge of completing his protracted move to Liverpool after Southampton accepted an improved £12.5 million bid. Liverpool’s second offer of an initial £10.5 million, which will rise to £12.5 million, has been enough to persuade Southampton to reluctantly sell the right-back.

Rodgers’s capture of Clyne would take their recent spending on Southampton players to over £60 million, following the signings of Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert last summer.

Southampton had offered Clyne a new contract but the 24-year-old has shown no inclination to sign it and is now heading to Merseyside. Clyne has established himself as a regular in Roy Hodgson’s England squad, though he was surprisingly overlooked for the European Championship qualifier against Slovenia earlier this month, only appearing as a late substitute.

Liverpool have been the most active Premier League club in the transfer market so far this summer, having already signed James Milner, Danny Ings, Alex Bogdan, Joe Gomez and - most recently - the £28million capture of the Brazil international Firmino.

Could well be on the cards this.

Quick Reply