Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The Beginning of the End of the LFC "Squad" Player?

Read 1935 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      The Beginning of the End of the LFC "Squad" Player?
      Jun 25, 2015 05:23:06 am
      For many seasons, it seems we have been buying many players to "fill out the squad". Spending large chunks of our limited transfer kitty increasing numbers, with many times forgetting the essential - if the player isn't good enough to push a player out of our starting XI, then (excepting youthful potential), the overall quality of the team will surely decline.

I was reading a few posts in the Emre Can player thread, and it got me thinking:

Nice team Si, it's nice to have the problem of fitting good players into the side, as AZ says when Sturridge comes back we're going to have head aches of the good kind.

I quite like the idea of:

Mignolet

Clyne    Skrtel    Sakho    Moreno

Illarramendi

Can    Milner

Firmino           Coutinho

Bacca

What I like is that (as purely attacking threats, when everyone is fit) it would leave:

Sturridge, Lallana, Ibe, Markovic, Ings and Origi fighting for spots on the bench. Too often, we've seen that if Plan A fails, there is precious little quality on the subs bench to change things.

Hopefully we'll make a couple more of these quality signings, what many of us have been screaming out for these last few years. Players at an equivalent, or better, level than our starting XI, creating genuine competition for places.

No more player complacency, no more of this buying "squad players" bullshit - we've squandered enough money doing that already.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: The Beginning of the End of the LFC "Squad" Player?
      Reply #1: Jun 25, 2015 06:46:16 am
      For many seasons, it seems we have been buying many players to "fill out the squad". Spending large chunks of our limited transfer kitty increasing numbers, with many times forgetting the essential - if the player isn't good enough to push a player out of our starting XI, then (excepting youthful potential), the overall quality of the team will surely decline.

I was reading a few posts in the Emre Can player thread, and it got me thinking:

What I like is that (as purely attacking threats, when everyone is fit) it would leave:

Sturridge, Lallana, Ibe, Markovic, Ings and Origi fighting for spots on the bench. Too often, we've seen that if Plan A fails, there is precious little quality on the subs bench to change things.

Hopefully we'll make a couple more of these quality signings, what many of us have been screaming out for these last few years. Players at an equivalent, or better, level than our starting XI, creating genuine competition for places.

No more player complacency, no more of this buying "squad players" bullshit - we've squandered enough money doing that already.

Hopefully that is where we are heading Ayrton; was thinking to myself today that Studge better get his sh*t together and get out on the field (and stay there) or this game and this club is going to pass right by him.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #2: Jun 25, 2015 09:28:31 am
      Well,Danny Ings will be nothing more than a squad player if we buy Bacca.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Jun 25, 2015 05:22:04 pm

Was just thinking the same. Not about Bacca but the Ings transfer in general. I just hope that if we are going to make some quality signings then they are a lot more successful than the squad players we have signed under Rodgers so far.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #4: Jun 25, 2015 07:05:22 pm

or he might play out wide in a front 3. Ing reminds me of Bellamy for some reason.

squad players are an inevitability of real life football. If a player is good enough to be 1st team level and is not guaranteed he will be tempted to move.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5: Jun 25, 2015 11:23:53 pm
      I really hope so. I really hate the concept of signing 'squad' players because as stated, it's basically an acceptance that the player is not good enough for the first XI. Our squad players should be those first teamers who have been pushed out by another player coming in.

The likes of Aspas and Alberto (just the two examples that spring to mind) were obviously never going to be good enough for us, even as squad players. What's the point of having players like them who play once a month and are sh*te in that game? You might aswell just give the position to a youngster and keep your transfer kitty to put towards real quality.

We've seen it so often where we as fans have been able to see a player straight away and just think 'he's not good enough him', no matter how much of a chance you want to give him, it becomes obvious from day one they aren't at the required level, yet some bright spark at the club decides they are worth 7mill or whatever it may be?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #6: Jun 26, 2015 08:50:13 am
      all depends if we keep hold of Allen, Borini,Lambert, coates, alberto,Enrique, who to be fair would not get in any of last years top 4 so can be classed as squad players.
      Glad Aspas has gone but i think all the above need to go, maybe hold onto Enrique as emergancy cover or to rest Moreno but the rest are not getting game time. you could argue Ballotelli could slip into that brackett depending on strikers we bring in.

sell all of the above inc ballotelli and buy a top striker to play alongside sturridge, Firmino, origi,ings.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #7: Jun 27, 2015 12:02:04 am
      Watched Ings in the EnglandU 21 s and he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo !
      Is he gonna be another player who performs for lesser teams, but can't turn it on at the top ?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #8: Jun 27, 2015 08:52:48 am
      Watched Ings in the EnglandU 21 s and he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo !
      Is he gonna be another player who performs for lesser teams, but can't turn it on at the top ?

He might well be mate but at least we spent a respectable fee on him as apposed to spunking mega millions on players like Lovren who nearly cost more than Suarez and Torres.

On the flip side he might be one of those players who come from a lower club and flourish with better playets around him.

Quick Reply