Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ian Ayre says "Relax....I got this"

Read 4018 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Ian Ayre says "Relax....I got this"
      Reply #23: Jul 06, 2015 10:54:42 am
      i've been told the 90's aren't relevant

Loved the 90's team that roy evans put out there.

Only downfall was teh defence we crumbled a bit like Brendans teams, all out attack. Was brilliant though, attack players all in same team, steve Macca, John Barnes, Fowler, Rushie, Collymore etc.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Ian Ayre says "Relax....I got this"
      Reply #24: Jul 06, 2015 11:16:31 am
      First off: as you are probably aware Billy - I have often argued the very same thing [i.e. we have had money and lots of it but it's been spent on the wrong 'type' of player]. In my opinion (and it's only that); instead of buying three, four, five, players 'with potential' we could have spent that same money to buy and pay players who would have, there and then, added to a team which was performing well.

This I would agree with entirely mate. I'm one of those who say we can't simply spend our way to the top because we don't have the revenues to match United and we don't have sugar daddies, but we do have cash to spend as evidenced by how much we have already spent. I think we're finding it difficult to have a balance right now. On the one hand,  FSG want to stick to a rigorous wage structure to keep the wage budget down, but that hinders our ability to attract the top players and indeed to keep the good ones. On the other hand, we can only spend what we earn, so whilst revenues have increased steadily, we're still way behind the usual top four.

The best way to compete is to generate more revenue, but without success on the pitch, there is a limit to how much more we can generate. That means taking a little more risk on the occasional top quality player. I'd like to see FSG do that a little more.

Quick Reply