Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

SOS: Monday Night Football

Read 2062 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      SOS: Monday Night Football
      Jul 04, 2015 12:27:48 pm
      Monday Night Football

Yesterday the Premier League fixtures for the months of August and September were confirmed. As is the norm these days, no thought has been given to those that attend the game. Yet again the affluent football cartel has shown their usual disregard for the match going fans.

There is no reason at all to move a 3pm fixture between Liverpool FC and Bournemouth to 8pm on a Monday night. It simply happens to make all those involved yet more money. Never mind the Bournemouth fans that will have to make the 530 mile round trip on a work night. Never mind the fact that these fans will probably need to take annual leave to be able to attend and not mentioning the extortionate prices they will be expected to pay for a match ticket.

Southampton fans are expected to travel 330 miles to Newcastle for a 13.30 kick off on a Sunday. Everton fans to North London for a 17.30 kick off on a Saturday and Newcastle fans to the Boleyn Ground for 8pm on a Monday night. These are to name but a few of the fixtures that have been moved. Do the people that make these ridiculous decisions have any idea of how limited public transport is for early afternoon and night time/evening kicks offs and just how much these changes impact the match going fan?

A fixture that stands out for Liverpool fans in particular is the away game at the Emirates. As a Category A fixture, tickets for our fans will be priced at £65.50. Add to that the cost of transport, a potential overnight stay in the capital and not to mention the need to potentially take annual leave on the Monday and maybe the Tuesday, this fixture will more than likely be a non-starter for many.

With this in mind we, along with Spion Kop 1906, The Black Scarf Movement and Arsenal Supporters’ Trust will be contacting officials at both clubs to request that they enter in to a reciprocal arrangement where the tickets for the travelling fans for each club will be categorised as C rather than A. We would also ask that this is funded by the clubs and not taken from the £200,000 that has been set aside to support away fans.

This initiative would make a significant difference to those in attendance and would be welcomed by both sets of fans. We have seen in the past what a difference such a move can make.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/monday-night-football

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: SOS: Monday Night Football
      Reply #1: Jul 04, 2015 01:32:35 pm
      Not for the first time SOS talking total sense visa vis the right way to treat match going fans. Of course what slightly skews the argument (unfairly because SOS are 100% correct) is that Arsenal could offer Liverpool 10,000 seats at £100 per ticket and stipulate that you have to live in London in order to buy one, they'd still sell out. The authorities know this, and because of it they totally disregard the genuine supporters from whichever home they come. 
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #2: Jul 04, 2015 09:17:07 pm
      Since when was the attending fan the top of broadcasters concerns?

Over the years though, I have started to believe that a fair number of away fans in a ground, live in or around the region where the game is, therefore not all making long journeys. How else are away allocations always sold out, regardless of date and time?

Anyway, it's not like they'll miss out. The game is on tv for a fraction of the amount they would have paid going there instead.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Jul 04, 2015 10:16:53 pm
      More Liverpool games on TV is good for me. There's no issue about getting to Champion's League games on a work night so there shouldn't be any issues about a Monday night.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2015 11:02:50 pm
      I hate Monday night football as much as I hate Thursday night/Sunday at 12.30/4pm, Saturday at 5.30 etc, in fact the only time it should be is Saturday at 3pm, but then I'm old skool !!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2015 07:43:02 am
      pretty sh1te isint it.

somebody on twitter said these monday night games, should local derbys, or at least teams geographically close to each other.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2015 07:52:53 am
      Fans are seen as income streams and as long tv which is the biggest income stream of all coughs up the pl etc don't care
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2015 01:13:29 pm
      From my point of view - an Essex based fan who rarely gets a ticket - the fact its TV is great... but I dont understand the reasoning behind the actual fixtures chosen for different KO times.

Monday night games should be local-ish affairs. Possibly not the mank clubs or the derby but maybe no more than 100miles. This is such an easy process and seems farcical it’s not done in this day and age
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2015 01:16:43 pm
      Since when was the attending fan the top of broadcasters concerns?

Over the years though, I have started to believe that a fair number of away fans in a ground, live in or around the region where the game is, therefore not all making long journeys. How else are away allocations always sold out, regardless of date and time?

Anyway, it's not like they'll miss out. The game is on tv for a fraction of the amount they would have paid going there instead.

Just roll over and get your belly tickled eh!!!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2015 02:19:39 pm
      Are they starting Friday night footy aswell??
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2015 02:43:24 pm
      Are they starting Friday night footy aswell??

I think that's the 16/17 season when BT take over from Sky mate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2015 03:00:34 pm
      I think that's the 16/17 season when BT take over from Sky mate.

Aston Villa v united in August this year  is on a friday due to an edl march and united being in the cl. from 16/17 the tv contract for sky/bt includes tv games on a friday. not for the first time though in the 80's there were live games on a friday, remember a famous ian rush hattrick on a frozen pitch at villa park
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Jul 06, 2015 03:07:52 pm
      Aston Villa v united in August this year  is on a friday due to an edl march and united being in the cl. from 16/17 the tv contract for sky/bt includes tv games on a friday. not for the first time though in the 80's there were live games on a friday, remember a famous ian rush hattrick on a frozen pitch at villa park

I seem to remember during the miners strike, power cuts and the 3 day working week of the early 70's, games were played at some very strange times and on days other than a Saturday  ;D
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #13: Jul 06, 2015 11:08:52 pm
      Added to which we are fookin shi....te on Monday night! Atrocious record. I'd be happy if we never played on a Monday night ever again
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2015 11:27:51 pm
      Scousers will travel to game whether it's morning noon or night . If a game is being played as far as Southampton on a Monday night or Sunday evening supporters still have to make that journey regardless . It's the nature of the modern game , hence the big dividends to the clubs that goes to buy the likes of Firmino and paying their wages as well .
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #15: Jul 07, 2015 03:10:10 pm

The infamous Michael Thomas "its up grabs now" match was a friday night too wasnt it?

I always think of that match when i think of matches on a Friday night
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #16: Jul 07, 2015 09:04:12 pm

The infamous Michael Thomas "its up grabs now" match was a friday night too wasnt it?

I always think of that match when i think of matches on a Friday night

You and me both mate, but not for too long eh ?

Quick Reply