Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Number of new players

Read 7830 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Number of new players
      Jul 07, 2015 10:33:00 am
      Talksh1te made point that we are doing same as last summer, buying loads of new players, who will take time to settle in.

Personally think it's different.
      Only signed 5 players IMO for the 1st team squad & 1 was signed last season.

1) Milner - Experienced premiership player - shld bed in quickly
      2) Clyne - As Milner
      3) Firminio - Experienced player in Germany just broke into Brazil team - Has german and brazil players at LFC to help him settle (not worried)
      4) Bogdan - Just a backup goalie replacing another backup goalie, plenty time to settle, and is experienced.
      5) Ings - Young premiership player with experience, should settle quickly knows a few lads thru england u21s

6) Origi - Signed last season, should settle quite quickly having his belgium pal Simon saves to help.

All the other lads who have signed are all u21\u19s etc. who will play in the academy teams.
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015 11:04:08 am by brezipool »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Re: Number of new players
      Reply #1: Jul 07, 2015 10:41:24 am
      Talksh1te made point that we are doing same as last summer, buying loads of new players, who will take time to settle in.

2) Clyne - As Milner
      3) Firminio - Experienced player in Germany just broke into Brazil team - Has german and brazil players at LFC to help him settle (not worried)
      4) Bogdan - Just a backup goalie replacing another backup goalie, plenty time to settle, and is experienced.
      5) Ings - Young premiership player with experience, should settle quickly knows a few lads thru england u21s

Origi - Signed last season, should settle quite quickly having his belgium pal Simon saves to help.

All the other lads who have signed are all u21\u19s etc. who will play in the academy teams.

I agree mostly but Numbers 3 and 5 are players from a different league and you cant discount the fact it does take time to adapt to another league, country, language etc.

Ings well lets hope he is not a starter otherwise we are in real trouble.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Jul 07, 2015 11:01:08 am
      I'd say it's totally different to last season mate and it just goes to show how little these people understand the nuances of football.  Out of all the players we brought in last summer I'd say only Moreno was actually needed as a 1st team starter as we didn't have a fit LB. 

We didn't "need" Markovic, Lallana or Lovren, even if the first two could prove useful eventually.  Manquillo was a loan punt who ended up playing more than expected due to injuries to both Glen and Flanno.  Can will be a good signing but as Stevies successor we needed someone more experienced.  Lambert was only ever going to be an extra and Balo was a panic buy.  Origi was always staying on loan for the season, even though we could have done with him in hindsight.

This summer we may well bring in the same numbers but most will be 1st team starters as they are actually replacing outgoing starters or adding depth to areas where we're short of quality.  If we'd done this last summer I doubt we'd have had such a sh*t season and we could have been really looking forward to the future.

We need to make sure that we get rid of the hangers on and the useless ones so we have a strong, streamlined squad going forwards.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Jul 07, 2015 11:05:54 am
      I agree mostly but Numbers 3 and 5 are players from a different league and you cant discount the fact it does take time to adapt to another league, country, language etc.

Ings well lets hope he is not a starter otherwise we are in real trouble.

Made Origi 6) cos thats who I think u meant when talking about 3 & 5.

Get your points though. But I do think these guys will settle quickly, inernational experience counts for a lot.

And I think Ings might well surprise a few, but yes he is not a starter just yet, unless he shows how good he is very quickly.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Jul 07, 2015 11:08:20 am
      I'd say it's totally different to last season mate and it just goes to show how little these people understand the nuances of football.  Out of all the players we brought in last summer I'd say only Moreno was actually needed as a 1st team starter as we didn't have a fit LB. 

We didn't "need" Markovic, Lallana or Lovren, even if the first two could prove useful eventually.  Manquillo was a loan punt who ended up playing more than expected due to injuries to both Glen and Flanno.  Can will be a good signing but as Stevies successor we needed someone more experienced.  Lambert was only ever going to be an extra and Balo was a panic buy.  Origi was always staying on loan for the season, even though we could have done with him in hindsight.

This summer we may well bring in the same numbers but most will be 1st team starters as they are actually replacing outgoing starters or adding depth to areas where we're short of quality.  If we'd done this last summer I doubt we'd have had such a sh*t season and we could have been really looking forward to the future.

We need to make sure that we get rid of the hangers on and the useless ones so we have a strong, streamlined squad going forwards.

Yip agree with that summary.

The next batch of signings will probably for the 1st team as well, benteke & 1 or 2 more.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Jul 07, 2015 11:20:34 am
      Yip agree with that summary.

The next batch of signings will probably for the 1st team as well, benteke & 1 or 2 more.

Benteke will defo be one mate then depending on how many we get rid of and how much we get for them, we could see another LB and possibly another midfielder.  There could be a few more younger signings before the window closes but they'll be for the Academy.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Jul 07, 2015 11:34:07 am
      Benteke will defo be one mate then depending on how many we get rid of and how much we get for them, we could see another LB and possibly another midfielder.  There could be a few more younger signings before the window closes but they'll be for the Academy.

Benteke is a defo i think, and as you say possibly a LB, suspect a holding MF might be on the cards.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Jul 07, 2015 11:40:47 am
      Benteke is a defo i think, and as you say possibly a LB, suspect a holding MF might be on the cards.

I'd be happy with that mate.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #8: Jul 07, 2015 01:39:41 pm

2) Clyne - As Milner

6) Origi - Signed last season, should settle quite quickly having his belgium pal Simon saves to help.

also I'd add that:

1) Milner - lost Gerrard... replacement experienced midfielder
      2) Clyne - Lost Johnson... replacement RB
      3) Firminio - losing flair up top (Sterling)... replacement attacking player
      4) Bogdan - Lost Jones... replacement back up Keeper
      5) Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th
      6) Origi - Signed last season so doesn’t count but is the same as Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th

we have/are losing players from the squad this close season in important positions, all we're doing is replacing IMO
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #9: Jul 07, 2015 02:07:03 pm
      also I'd add that:

1) Milner - lost Gerrard... replacement experienced midfielder
      2) Clyne - Lost Johnson... replacement RB
      3) Firminio - losing flair up top (Sterling)... replacement attacking player
      4) Bogdan - Lost Jones... replacement back up Keeper
      5) Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th
      6) Origi - Signed last season so doesn’t count but is the same as Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th

we have/are losing players from the squad this close season in important positions, all we're doing is replacing IMO

And fair play to the board & BR could argue all are improvements, except Gerrard, but even Gerrard was not at his peak anymore.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Jul 07, 2015 02:57:10 pm
      Off topic (but only slightly) - quick question: I know it was three last season alone but how many strikers have we signed since Torres left.... and we're still searching, still signing and still looking rid... seven or eight?

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #11: Jul 07, 2015 03:04:59 pm
      And fair play to the board & BR could argue all are improvements, except Gerrard, but even Gerrard was not at his peak anymore.

dare I say it, but Milner could be seen as a replacement for the of Gerrard 2013 onwards
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #12: Jul 07, 2015 04:34:25 pm
      Off topic (but only slightly) - quick question: I know it was three last season alone but how many strikers have we signed since Torres left.... and we're still searching, still signing and still looking rid... seven or eight?

Since Torres left mate?

Suarez, Carroll, Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Ings, Origi and maybe a few young kids. (I may have missed one or two out as well).
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #13: Jul 07, 2015 04:43:36 pm
      dare I say it, but Milner could be seen as a replacement for the of Gerrard 2013 onwards

tbf to milner I dont we can compare to Gerrard at all. But I know what you mean.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #14: Jul 07, 2015 04:47:58 pm
      that's why i think the Firmino and coutinho should be asked if they want to come back early to go on the start of the tour even if they dont play but train and mix with the squad to bed in. Firmino needs a new gaff to sort out and i'm sure Lucas and coutinho's birds will show her the shops etc and help her settle but the player himself needs as much time pre-season to get to know his team mates.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #15: Jul 24, 2015 06:55:14 pm
      I am quite worried about Firmino setling in,i think he will need a bit more time to get used to ours and BPL way of play.I am sure that Ings an Milner will fit in well,but i am not sure what will happen with Origi,it will be tough for him to get some proper playing time.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: Jul 24, 2015 08:42:27 pm
      I am quite worried about Firmino setling in

I am too, especially if we're gonna be more direct and attack through the wide areas.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #17: Jul 24, 2015 08:47:03 pm
      I am too, especially if we're gonna be more direct and attack through the wide areas.
      If Coutinho doesnt help him to settle in faster,than i dont know who will...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18: Jul 24, 2015 08:54:06 pm
      If Coutinho doesnt help him to settle in faster,than i dont know who will...

Jo momma

(Sorry.)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jul 24, 2015 11:20:52 pm
      We don't seem to be panic buying though or signing players for essentially sentimental reasons which was basically the case with Lambert and obviously Balo was the panic buy because we couldn't get anyone else or didn't deem anyone else we could have gotten suitable.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20: Jul 25, 2015 12:09:12 am
      I don't think it's going to be a problem bedding the new players into the system, considering we will probably be going back to the drawing board after last season's mediocrity anyway.
      We know Brendan likes to attack, and the players we've bought, (for the most part) are geared towards going on the front football.
      Clyne, Milner, Both came from passing teams, Firmino plays his international football for a team that knows a thing or two about passing, and Big Ben, Ings, and Origi all know about getting on the end of attacks. I'm confident these guys will slip right in.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Jul 25, 2015 12:14:49 am
      I've done enough rants elsewhere tonight so I'll keep it short.

Massively different windows.
      Last season we let Suarez go and signed everything but the players we needed to compensate for that loss.
      "But we signed strikers" Yeah read the F***ing sentence again you moron.

This season we've addressed a lot of the areas we needed before Sterling left,
      and then signed the big F***ing striker that we badly needed.

Bad window? Your having a laugh.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Jul 25, 2015 12:31:40 am
      I've done enough rants elsewhere tonight so I'll keep it short.

Massively different windows.
      Last season we let Suarez go and signed everything but the players we needed to compensate for that loss.
      "But we signed strikers" Yeah read the f**king sentence again you moron.

This season we've addressed a lot of the areas we needed before Sterling left,
      and then signed the big f**king striker that we badly needed.

Bad window? Your having a laugh.

The worst part of the signings we've made so far is the keeper IMO. Bogdan isn't a keeper you'd have challenging for the title. We needed a keeper that would be competing for the Number 1 spot and can't help but feel we should have gone for Begovic but instead he's ended up at Chelsea to sit on the bench where as if we had gone for him then we'd have had a keeper that IMO is better and more reliable than Migs, or even Romero who was free.

I really can't see what Bogdan will bring to the team other than being someone happy to sit on the bench and play just a couple of games through the season. No ambition in that are of recruitment IMO.

Quick Reply