Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Number of new players

Read 7823 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Number of new players
      Jul 07, 2015 10:33:00 am
      Talksh1te made point that we are doing same as last summer, buying loads of new players, who will take time to settle in.

Personally think it's different.
      Only signed 5 players IMO for the 1st team squad & 1 was signed last season.

1) Milner - Experienced premiership player - shld bed in quickly
      2) Clyne - As Milner
      3) Firminio - Experienced player in Germany just broke into Brazil team - Has german and brazil players at LFC to help him settle (not worried)
      4) Bogdan - Just a backup goalie replacing another backup goalie, plenty time to settle, and is experienced.
      5) Ings - Young premiership player with experience, should settle quickly knows a few lads thru england u21s

6) Origi - Signed last season, should settle quite quickly having his belgium pal Simon saves to help.

All the other lads who have signed are all u21\u19s etc. who will play in the academy teams.
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015 11:04:08 am by brezipool »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Re: Number of new players
      Reply #1: Jul 07, 2015 10:41:24 am
      Talksh1te made point that we are doing same as last summer, buying loads of new players, who will take time to settle in.

2) Clyne - As Milner
      3) Firminio - Experienced player in Germany just broke into Brazil team - Has german and brazil players at LFC to help him settle (not worried)
      4) Bogdan - Just a backup goalie replacing another backup goalie, plenty time to settle, and is experienced.
      5) Ings - Young premiership player with experience, should settle quickly knows a few lads thru england u21s

Origi - Signed last season, should settle quite quickly having his belgium pal Simon saves to help.

All the other lads who have signed are all u21\u19s etc. who will play in the academy teams.

I agree mostly but Numbers 3 and 5 are players from a different league and you cant discount the fact it does take time to adapt to another league, country, language etc.

Ings well lets hope he is not a starter otherwise we are in real trouble.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Jul 07, 2015 11:01:08 am
      I'd say it's totally different to last season mate and it just goes to show how little these people understand the nuances of football.  Out of all the players we brought in last summer I'd say only Moreno was actually needed as a 1st team starter as we didn't have a fit LB. 

We didn't "need" Markovic, Lallana or Lovren, even if the first two could prove useful eventually.  Manquillo was a loan punt who ended up playing more than expected due to injuries to both Glen and Flanno.  Can will be a good signing but as Stevies successor we needed someone more experienced.  Lambert was only ever going to be an extra and Balo was a panic buy.  Origi was always staying on loan for the season, even though we could have done with him in hindsight.

This summer we may well bring in the same numbers but most will be 1st team starters as they are actually replacing outgoing starters or adding depth to areas where we're short of quality.  If we'd done this last summer I doubt we'd have had such a sh*t season and we could have been really looking forward to the future.

We need to make sure that we get rid of the hangers on and the useless ones so we have a strong, streamlined squad going forwards.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Jul 07, 2015 11:05:54 am
      I agree mostly but Numbers 3 and 5 are players from a different league and you cant discount the fact it does take time to adapt to another league, country, language etc.

Ings well lets hope he is not a starter otherwise we are in real trouble.

Made Origi 6) cos thats who I think u meant when talking about 3 & 5.

Get your points though. But I do think these guys will settle quickly, inernational experience counts for a lot.

And I think Ings might well surprise a few, but yes he is not a starter just yet, unless he shows how good he is very quickly.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Jul 07, 2015 11:08:20 am
      I'd say it's totally different to last season mate and it just goes to show how little these people understand the nuances of football.  Out of all the players we brought in last summer I'd say only Moreno was actually needed as a 1st team starter as we didn't have a fit LB. 

We didn't "need" Markovic, Lallana or Lovren, even if the first two could prove useful eventually.  Manquillo was a loan punt who ended up playing more than expected due to injuries to both Glen and Flanno.  Can will be a good signing but as Stevies successor we needed someone more experienced.  Lambert was only ever going to be an extra and Balo was a panic buy.  Origi was always staying on loan for the season, even though we could have done with him in hindsight.

This summer we may well bring in the same numbers but most will be 1st team starters as they are actually replacing outgoing starters or adding depth to areas where we're short of quality.  If we'd done this last summer I doubt we'd have had such a sh*t season and we could have been really looking forward to the future.

We need to make sure that we get rid of the hangers on and the useless ones so we have a strong, streamlined squad going forwards.

Yip agree with that summary.

The next batch of signings will probably for the 1st team as well, benteke & 1 or 2 more.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Jul 07, 2015 11:20:34 am
      Yip agree with that summary.

The next batch of signings will probably for the 1st team as well, benteke & 1 or 2 more.

Benteke will defo be one mate then depending on how many we get rid of and how much we get for them, we could see another LB and possibly another midfielder.  There could be a few more younger signings before the window closes but they'll be for the Academy.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Jul 07, 2015 11:34:07 am
      Benteke will defo be one mate then depending on how many we get rid of and how much we get for them, we could see another LB and possibly another midfielder.  There could be a few more younger signings before the window closes but they'll be for the Academy.

Benteke is a defo i think, and as you say possibly a LB, suspect a holding MF might be on the cards.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Jul 07, 2015 11:40:47 am
      Benteke is a defo i think, and as you say possibly a LB, suspect a holding MF might be on the cards.

I'd be happy with that mate.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #8: Jul 07, 2015 01:39:41 pm

2) Clyne - As Milner

6) Origi - Signed last season, should settle quite quickly having his belgium pal Simon saves to help.

also I'd add that:

1) Milner - lost Gerrard... replacement experienced midfielder
      2) Clyne - Lost Johnson... replacement RB
      3) Firminio - losing flair up top (Sterling)... replacement attacking player
      4) Bogdan - Lost Jones... replacement back up Keeper
      5) Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th
      6) Origi - Signed last season so doesn’t count but is the same as Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th

we have/are losing players from the squad this close season in important positions, all we're doing is replacing IMO
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #9: Jul 07, 2015 02:07:03 pm
      also I'd add that:

1) Milner - lost Gerrard... replacement experienced midfielder
      2) Clyne - Lost Johnson... replacement RB
      3) Firminio - losing flair up top (Sterling)... replacement attacking player
      4) Bogdan - Lost Jones... replacement back up Keeper
      5) Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th
      6) Origi - Signed last season so doesn’t count but is the same as Ings - lost Lambert/Borini... replacement 3rd/4th

we have/are losing players from the squad this close season in important positions, all we're doing is replacing IMO

And fair play to the board & BR could argue all are improvements, except Gerrard, but even Gerrard was not at his peak anymore.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Jul 07, 2015 02:57:10 pm
      Off topic (but only slightly) - quick question: I know it was three last season alone but how many strikers have we signed since Torres left.... and we're still searching, still signing and still looking rid... seven or eight?

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #11: Jul 07, 2015 03:04:59 pm
      And fair play to the board & BR could argue all are improvements, except Gerrard, but even Gerrard was not at his peak anymore.

dare I say it, but Milner could be seen as a replacement for the of Gerrard 2013 onwards
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #12: Jul 07, 2015 04:34:25 pm
      Off topic (but only slightly) - quick question: I know it was three last season alone but how many strikers have we signed since Torres left.... and we're still searching, still signing and still looking rid... seven or eight?

Since Torres left mate?

Suarez, Carroll, Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Ings, Origi and maybe a few young kids. (I may have missed one or two out as well).
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #13: Jul 07, 2015 04:43:36 pm
      dare I say it, but Milner could be seen as a replacement for the of Gerrard 2013 onwards

tbf to milner I dont we can compare to Gerrard at all. But I know what you mean.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #14: Jul 07, 2015 04:47:58 pm
      that's why i think the Firmino and coutinho should be asked if they want to come back early to go on the start of the tour even if they dont play but train and mix with the squad to bed in. Firmino needs a new gaff to sort out and i'm sure Lucas and coutinho's birds will show her the shops etc and help her settle but the player himself needs as much time pre-season to get to know his team mates.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #15: Jul 24, 2015 06:55:14 pm
      I am quite worried about Firmino setling in,i think he will need a bit more time to get used to ours and BPL way of play.I am sure that Ings an Milner will fit in well,but i am not sure what will happen with Origi,it will be tough for him to get some proper playing time.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: Jul 24, 2015 08:42:27 pm
      I am quite worried about Firmino setling in

I am too, especially if we're gonna be more direct and attack through the wide areas.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #17: Jul 24, 2015 08:47:03 pm
      I am too, especially if we're gonna be more direct and attack through the wide areas.
      If Coutinho doesnt help him to settle in faster,than i dont know who will...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18: Jul 24, 2015 08:54:06 pm
      If Coutinho doesnt help him to settle in faster,than i dont know who will...

Jo momma

(Sorry.)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jul 24, 2015 11:20:52 pm
      We don't seem to be panic buying though or signing players for essentially sentimental reasons which was basically the case with Lambert and obviously Balo was the panic buy because we couldn't get anyone else or didn't deem anyone else we could have gotten suitable.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20: Jul 25, 2015 12:09:12 am
      I don't think it's going to be a problem bedding the new players into the system, considering we will probably be going back to the drawing board after last season's mediocrity anyway.
      We know Brendan likes to attack, and the players we've bought, (for the most part) are geared towards going on the front football.
      Clyne, Milner, Both came from passing teams, Firmino plays his international football for a team that knows a thing or two about passing, and Big Ben, Ings, and Origi all know about getting on the end of attacks. I'm confident these guys will slip right in.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Jul 25, 2015 12:14:49 am
      I've done enough rants elsewhere tonight so I'll keep it short.

Massively different windows.
      Last season we let Suarez go and signed everything but the players we needed to compensate for that loss.
      "But we signed strikers" Yeah read the F***ing sentence again you moron.

This season we've addressed a lot of the areas we needed before Sterling left,
      and then signed the big F***ing striker that we badly needed.

Bad window? Your having a laugh.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Jul 25, 2015 12:31:40 am
      I've done enough rants elsewhere tonight so I'll keep it short.

Massively different windows.
      Last season we let Suarez go and signed everything but the players we needed to compensate for that loss.
      "But we signed strikers" Yeah read the f**king sentence again you moron.

This season we've addressed a lot of the areas we needed before Sterling left,
      and then signed the big f**king striker that we badly needed.

Bad window? Your having a laugh.

The worst part of the signings we've made so far is the keeper IMO. Bogdan isn't a keeper you'd have challenging for the title. We needed a keeper that would be competing for the Number 1 spot and can't help but feel we should have gone for Begovic but instead he's ended up at Chelsea to sit on the bench where as if we had gone for him then we'd have had a keeper that IMO is better and more reliable than Migs, or even Romero who was free.

I really can't see what Bogdan will bring to the team other than being someone happy to sit on the bench and play just a couple of games through the season. No ambition in that are of recruitment IMO.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #23: Jul 25, 2015 12:32:43 am
      The worst part of the signings we've made so far is the keeper IMO. Bogdan isn't a keeper you'd have challenging for the title. We needed a keeper that would be competing for the Number 1 spot and can't help but feel we should have gone for Begovic but instead he's ended up at Chelsea to sit on the bench where as if we had gone for him then we'd have had a keeper that IMO is better and more reliable than Migs.

I really can't see what Bogdan will bring to the team other than being someone happy to sit on the bench and play just a couple of games through the season. No ambition in that are of recruitment IMO.

I'll give you that.
      He's no Reina coming in against Dudek.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #24: Jul 25, 2015 06:10:13 am
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #25: Jul 25, 2015 07:25:15 am
      Wow.

So apparently we spent all that money on Lovren, Lallana and Markovic without ever intending for them to be starters.

Interesting.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #26: Jul 25, 2015 08:14:03 am
      Wow.

So apparently we spent all that money on Lovren, Lallana and Markovic without ever intending for them to be starters.

Interesting.
      I think that Lovren was intended to be a starter but he did not showed up,as i remember he was a replacement for Daniel Agger,also i think Lallana was suposed to be a starter too.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #27: Jul 25, 2015 08:44:44 am
      I think that Lovren was intended to be a starter but he did not showed up,as i remember he was a replacement for Daniel Agger,also i think Lallana was suposed to be a starter too.

of course.  they were all meant to be starters.

It's just revisionist history.  Player turns out to be sh*te and we say "oh well he was never meant to be a starter anyway...."

If Benteke etc flops then next summer people will say "oh he was just brought in as cover for Sturridge" etc etc.

They just can't accept the fact that last summer was a complete and total failure, that we wasted all of the money we got from Suarez leaving, that Lallana and Lovren are sh*te, and that we've mostly signed more mediocre crap this summer too.

there's always some excuse.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #28: Jul 25, 2015 09:10:33 am

It's just revisionist history.  Player turns out to be sh*te and we say "oh well he was never meant to be a starter anyway...."

If Benteke etc flops then next summer people will say "oh he was just brought in as cover for Sturridge" etc etc.

They just can't accept the fact that last summer was a complete and total failure, that we wasted all of the money we got from Suarez leaving, that Lallana and Lovren are sh*te, and that we've mostly signed more mediocre crap this summer too.

there's always some excuse.
      I understand what are you talking about mate,you are right.
      There will allways be excuses mate,allways...
      I am hoping and i am kinda sure that this summer cant be worse than the last one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29: Jul 25, 2015 11:35:31 am

I'm nor sure I've read too many say that Fed.

Lallana and Lovren were defintley signed to be starters, or at least good enough to replace another in the first 11, but both for various reasons haven't nailed down a place so far.

Markovic was always bought with his potential I mind.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #30: Jul 25, 2015 12:12:44 pm
      It's probably going to be a problem having so many new players, but unfortunately for Brendan he's used up all his get out of jail free cards already so it's not going to be an excuse that anybody is going to take seriously. usually players do take time to settle and when they come in in these sort of numbers form does suffer, but we are just going to have to break convention a little and hit the ground at a gallop.

There are players who aren't "new" who owe us a performance or two (Lovren, Lallana, Sakho, Moreno, Mignolet, Markovic etc) and hopefully those of that bunch that can actually still get in the team step up significantly on what they've shown before. If they do I've a hunch we'll go well and surprise a few people, if they don't my guess is things will look quite bleak by Christmas.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #31: Jul 25, 2015 12:18:26 pm
      I'm nor sure I've read too many say that Fed.

Lallana and Lovren were defintley signed to be starters, or at least good enough to replace another in the first 11, but both for various reasons haven't nailed down a place so far.

Markovic was always bought with his potential I mind.
      Markovic was one for the future since he came here.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #32: Jul 25, 2015 12:23:32 pm
      It's probably going to be a problem having so many new players, but unfortunately for Brendan he's used up all his get out of jail free cards already so it's not going to be an excuse that anybody is going to take seriously. usually players do take time to settle and when they come in in these sort of numbers form does suffer, but we are just going to have to break convention a little and hit the ground at a gallop.

There are players who aren't "new" who owe us a performance or two (Lovren, Lallana, Sakho, Moreno, Mignolet, Markovic etc) and hopefully those of that bunch that can actually still get in the team step up significantly on what they've shown before. If they do I've a hunch we'll go well and surprise a few people, if they don't my guess is things will look quite bleak by Christmas.
      Oh mate,Lovren owes us much more than a performance or two,for the money we bought him this man should shed blood on the pitch for us...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #33: Jul 25, 2015 12:24:35 pm

I'm not sure Sakho deserves to be in that list Mick.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #34: Jul 25, 2015 01:28:52 pm
      I'm not sure Sakho deserves to be in that list Mick.

I definately think he does mate, and I really rate the lad. When we bought him a couple of years back I said then that he had everything needed to become the best centre back in the league, and I haven't changed my mind one iota. The fact is though thhat so far it hasn't happened, probably chiefly because he breaks a fingernail and takes two months off twice a season. We need Sakho to absolutely cement his place in the team, be the leader of the defence and become that player that all the other top teams wish they had. So far he just about gets into our first choice eleven, but in most peoples eyes (including mine) Skrtel is our main centre back. Sakho has the capability though to be miles better than Skrtel, I'm hoping this season he shows it and that's why he's in the list.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #35: Jul 25, 2015 09:16:50 pm
      I definately think he does mate, and I really rate the lad. When we bought him a couple of years back I said then that he had everything needed to become the best centre back in the league, and I haven't changed my mind one iota. The fact is though thhat so far it hasn't happened, probably chiefly because he breaks a fingernail and takes two months off twice a season. We need Sakho to absolutely cement his place in the team, be the leader of the defence and become that player that all the other top teams wish they had. So far he just about gets into our first choice eleven, but in most peoples eyes (including mine) Skrtel is our main centre back. Sakho has the capability though to be miles better than Skrtel, I'm hoping this season he shows it and that's why he's in the list.
      Sakho really should make good use from every chance he gets in the first team and cement his place there,i would love him to be our first defender and the commander of the defence,he deserves much more playing time than Lovren.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #36: Jul 25, 2015 09:24:53 pm
      What is encouraging from this years window is that at least four of those lads will walk straight into the starting line-up with Benteke, Clyne, Milner and Firmino all likely to do so. This time last year we were looking at our signings not necessarily knowing who or how many would be in a 1-11 shirt come the first match.

On a side note I see the mancs are playing Barcelona right now, City were playing Madrid a couple of days ago meanwhile our lads are getting run outs against The nightly Adelaide and a couple of pub teams thrown together in Thailand and Malaysia. I k is pre-seasons is all about fitness and prep for the season and evaluating the new signings but wouldn't it worthwhile (as a general rule) to ensure you play someone half-decent at some stage of the schedule?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Jul 25, 2015 09:34:12 pm
      What is encouraging from this years window is that at least four of those lads will walk straight into the starting line-up with Benteke, Clyne, Milner and Firmino all likely to do so. This time last year we were looking at our signings not necessarily knowing who or how many would be in a 1-11 shirt come the first match.

On a side note I see the mancs are playing Barcelona right now, City were playing Madrid a couple of days ago meanwhile our lads are getting run outs against The nightly Adelaide and a couple of pub teams thrown together in Thailand and Malaysia. I k is pre-seasons is all about fitness and prep for the season and evaluating the new signings but wouldn't it worthwhile (as a general rule) to ensure you play someone half-decent at some stage of the schedule?

I used to think that, still do to a point but isn't it about fitness and a gentle sparring match? Showing how your going to set up to win against big teams is only showing your tactics for no real gain.
      Somehow I don't reckon there would be much to garner from playing the big clubs pre season. All the work should be done behind the scenes and not for all our competitors to have any prior knowledge of.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #38: Jul 28, 2015 04:14:56 pm
      Big ben No 9 just as soon as Lambert is sold which should be done by the weekend
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #39: Jul 28, 2015 04:45:27 pm

Not sure if I agree mate, I think most expected Balotelli, Lallana, Lovren and Moreno to walk into the starting 11 last season. The fact that none of them really put together a run of games is perhaps a warning of what can go wrong when players don't settle quickly or don't hit the ground running, especially as Benteke and Firmino won't have had much of a pre-season (even against the "pub teams" we have played)

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40: Jul 28, 2015 04:53:27 pm
      Not sure if I agree mate, I think most expected Balotelli, Lallana, Lovren and Moreno to walk into the starting 11 last season. The fact that none of them really put together a run of games is perhaps a warning of what can go wrong when players don't settle quickly or don't hit the ground running, especially as Benteke and Firmino won't have had much of a pre-season (even against the "pub teams" we have played)

Benteke has been on pre season with villa, he should be ok, sub at worst -v- stoke.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #41: Jul 28, 2015 04:57:50 pm
      Benteke has been on pre season with villa, he should be ok, sub at worst -v- stoke.

Benteke didn't appear in any of Villa's pre-season games
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #42: Jul 28, 2015 05:48:04 pm
      Benteke will start the first game. Firmino will as well. Really no reason to think otherwise.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Jul 28, 2015 05:57:24 pm
      Benteke will start the first game. Firmino will as well. Really no reason to think otherwise.

I think we are starting to move away from the point I was trying to make, which was that expectations for our new players last season where just as high as this season.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #44: Jul 28, 2015 05:57:55 pm
      I think we are starting to move away from the point I was trying to make, which was that expectations for our new players last season where just as high as this season.

I think that's an extremely fair comparison S@int, certainly food for thought.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Jul 28, 2015 06:02:18 pm

Not from me.
      I hoped a couple would hit the ground running, but I didn't expect them to, particularly those from overseas.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #46: Jul 28, 2015 06:02:28 pm

Well Lallana was injured, otherwise he'd have probably started the season in the starting 11. Lovren, Moreno and Balotelli I don't believe are of the same quality as the players we have purchased this summer. I think it speaks to how bad our squad was prior that anyone thought those three would come in and be saviors.

Maybe the same this year, but I think there's a marked improvement on the quailty of the players we've added.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #47: Jul 28, 2015 06:05:29 pm
      Well Lallana was injured, otherwise he'd have probably started the season in the starting 11. Lovren, Moreno and Balotelli I don't believe are of the same quality as the players we have purchased this summer. I think it speaks to how bad our squad was prior that anyone thought those three would come in and be saviors.

Maybe the same this year, but I think there's a marked improvement on the quailty of the players we've added.

I seem to remember there being a lot of debate over the signing of Lovren, but most people, myself included, expected Moreno to be a hell of a lot better than he was last season, based on his time at Sevilla.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #48: Jul 28, 2015 06:08:09 pm
      I seem to remember there being a lot of debate over the signing of Lovren, but most people, myself included, expected Moreno to be a hell of a lot better than he was last season, based on his time at Sevilla.

He had that wonder goal, but people were quick to turn on him. Like I said...I think a lot of us expected big things from him in the summer, but I think a lot of that was that we didn't have much quality there to start with.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #49: Jul 28, 2015 06:13:52 pm
      The big difference for me this summer is the club has got the two forward players they wanted in Firmino and Benteke.

Lambert was only signed as back up and Mario because we fu**ed things up and were able to sign him on a good deal.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #50: Jul 28, 2015 06:17:44 pm
      I think it speaks to how bad our squad was prior that anyone thought those three would come in and be saviors.

Our Squad was so bad that the previous season they had finished 2nd !
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #51: Jul 28, 2015 06:23:00 pm
      The big difference for me this summer is the club has got the two forward players they wanted in Firmino and Benteke.

Lambert was only signed as back up and Mario because we fu**ed things up and were able to sign him on a good deal.

As I remember it you were absolutely delighted when we signed Lallana AND Ballotelli!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #52: Jul 28, 2015 06:25:16 pm
      As I remember it you were absolutely delighted when we signed Lallana AND Ballotelli!

I was Saint but my point is the manager didn't want Mario which was obvious last season.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #53: Jul 28, 2015 06:31:56 pm
      I was Saint but my point is the manager didn't want Mario which was obvious last season.

Apparently Brendan didn't want Sturridge either , but because he was scoring Brendan managed to get over that problem, similarly I think if Balloteli had started scoring, you like everyone else including Brendan would be saying what a great buy he was.

If you compare the 4 players both Scott and I mentioned I don't believe there was much difference in the hopes for them if you take away the benefit of hindsight.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #54: Jul 28, 2015 06:34:23 pm
      Our Squad was so bad that the previous season they had finished 2nd !

Defensively it was yes. Weren't we better defensively last year than the year before? ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #55: Jul 28, 2015 06:36:33 pm
      Defensively it was yes. Weren't we better defensively last year than the year before? ;)

We were mate and if it hadn't been for those last 2 games it would have been a lot better.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #56: Jul 28, 2015 06:36:58 pm

All down to Lovren and Morino mate

:D
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #57: Jul 28, 2015 07:13:19 pm

I dunno mate, Moreno yes definately. Lallana was always going to rotate in and out with Coutinho and Sterling depending on the formation we were playing or at least that was how I saw it. With Lovren I still had Skrtel and Sakho pegged as the likely first choice partnership this time last year, even Balotelli you figure would be on the bench IF Studge was fit and we were only playing one up top. I think the four I have listed will start and will be productive (with Benteke being the unknown quantity for me, I don't have a clue how that one is gonna work out)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Jul 28, 2015 07:22:35 pm
      Personally think that Saint is bang on the money:

Balotelli: Some were almost euphoric last season.
      Moreno: Came with rave reviews and many were saying he was the answer.
      Lallana: All knew he was Brendan's main target and were convinced he was a starter.
      Lovren: Again pursued throughout the window, I think 90%+ would have thought he was coming in as a starter.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #59: Jul 28, 2015 07:45:02 pm
      Personally think that Saint is bang on the money:

Balotelli: Some were almost euphoric last season.
      Revisionism at best. Euphoric is a pretty strong word. I don't think anyone's been euphoric since we beat Man City the season before last in the run up to the title. Some liked Balotelli and some didn't. Some were hopeful (like me and Si) but hardly is that Euphoric. But it's easy to throw that out there without any real proof to back it up eh? ;D

Moreno: Came with rave reviews and many were saying he was the answer.
      As many have said, not too hard to think he was the answer when Enrique was the question.
      Lallana: All knew he was Brendan's main target and were convinced he was a starter.

He is a starter, he was injured throughout pre-season otherwise he'd have been in the starting 11 day one.
      Lovren: Again pursued throughout the window, I think 90%+ would have thought he was coming in as a starter.
      I sure did, especially for the fee that was paid. But alas, he's been a huge disappointment.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #60: Jul 28, 2015 07:57:33 pm
      Revisionism at best. Euphoric is a pretty strong word. I don't think anyone's been euphoric since we beat Man City the season before last in the run up to the title. Some liked Balotelli and some didn't. Some were hopeful (like me and Si) but hardly is that Euphoric. But it's easy to throw that out there without any real proof to back it up eh?

I seem to remember you wondering if Balotelli could be as good as Suarez.... sounds like you had hopes of being euphoric even if you never got to feel it.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #61: Jul 28, 2015 08:09:16 pm
      I seem to remember you wondering if Balotelli could be as good as Suarez.... sounds like you had hopes of being euphoric even if you never got to feel it.

Wondering if someone can produce the goals for us that Luis did isn't really euphoria is it now Saint?

Quote from: Fl Red
      Just throwing it out there.....IF (big IF I know) he puts his head down and works as hard as possible.....can he be as good for us as Luis was?

noun: euphoria
          a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness.

Yea...definitely euphoria :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #62: Jul 28, 2015 08:12:49 pm
      Revisionism at best. Euphoric is a pretty strong word. I don't think anyone's been euphoric since we beat Man City the season before last in the run up to the title. Some liked Balotelli and some didn't. Some were hopeful (like me and Si) but hardly is that Euphoric. But it's easy to throw that out there without any real proof to back it up eh?

Fair enough if that's how you remember it FL, but I remember people being nearly euphoric, yes.

euphoric
      juːˈfɒrɪk/Submit
      adjective
      characterized by or feeling intense excitement and happiness.

So just so we're clear and for clarity beforehand: I don't want to go trawling through your 13570 posts but if I'd said you were very happy about Balotelli joining, would you accept that as fair, if so there's very little difference.

I personally remember people being beyond very happy, but if you want to contest that, then honestly it's beside the point.

As many have said, not too hard to think he was the answer when Enrique was the question.

Actually there's plenty of people who thought Enrique was a decent defender, he developed a great partnership with Suarez and if it wasn't for his injuries he'd be our starting LB without doubt. Unfortunately those injuries seem to have changed some people's view of Jose.

He is a starter, he was injured throughout pre-season otherwise he'd have been in the starting 11 day one.

I agree, even I, who seem to clash with you on Lallana frequently, would have him in our starting XI still.

I sure did, especially for the fee that was paid. But alas, he's been a huge disappointment.

By far the biggest disappointment, agreed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #63: Jul 28, 2015 08:45:59 pm

I agree, even I, who seem to clash with you on Lallana frequently, would have him in our starting XI still.

I don't really see where Lallana fits into the starting team.

All the pre season games have suggested a 433 with one midfielder playing the holding role, the other two will be Hendo and Milner.
      So will Lallana be ahead of Coutinho and Firmino?

Even if we go 4231 he doesn't have the pace to get away from a defender to play as a wide forward.
      He is a impact player from the bench for me and rotated with Coutinho when he is rested.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #64: Jul 28, 2015 08:51:12 pm
      I personally remember people being beyond very happy, but if you want to contest that, then honestly it's beside the point.

To be fair Luke, after Remy everybody was happy that we at least had a "Name" coming in; though there was a large segment of this forum concerned he would not work out; we were going into the season with an injured Sturridge and Borini + Lambert so yeah most were pleased..euphoric would be stretching it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #65: Jul 28, 2015 09:01:01 pm
      Wondering if someone can produce the goals for us that Luis did isn't really euphoria is it now Saint?

noun: euphoria
          a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness.

Yea...definitely euphoria :lmao:

So IF Balotelli had been as good for us as Luis, as you hoped, you wouldn't have had a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness? I know I would have been euphoric if he had.

My own view is that the majority of posters had less doubts about Balotelli's ability and how he would fit into our style of play than Benteke.

Most people have still not seen Firmino play, yet seem convinced he is at the very least better than Sterling and Lallana?

Milner I think will be a very good signing, but he is more the player we should have signed when we got Downing rather than World Class.

Clyne is a young player with a lot of potential, but he needs to realize that potential or like Moreno people will quickly start to question his ability.

As I said originally, I believe most people had similar hopes and expectations for Lallana, Balotelli, Lovren and Moreno. The fact that those 4 didn't set the world on fire last season has made people revise their view and with hindsight their opinions.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #66: Jul 28, 2015 09:41:48 pm
      So IF Balotelli had been as good for us as Luis, as you hoped, you wouldn't have had a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness? I know I would have been euphoric if he had.

My own view is that the majority of posters had less doubts about Balotelli's ability and how he would fit into our style of play than Benteke.

Most people have still not seen Firmino play, yet seem convinced he is at the very least better than Sterling and Lallana?

Milner I think will be a very good signing, but he is more the player we should have signed when we got Downing rather than World Class.

Clyne is a young player with a lot of potential, but he needs to realize that potential or like Moreno people will quickly start to question his ability.

As I said originally, I believe most people had similar hopes and expectations for Lallana, Balotelli, Lovren and Moreno. The fact that those 4 didn't set the world on fire last season has made people revise their view and with hindsight their opinions.

Lot of ifs, ands and buts in there and to be honest I've grown tired of discussing the past...it's dragging me down from my optimism for the future so I'll kindly find my way out. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #67: Jul 28, 2015 10:15:19 pm
      To be fair Luke, after Remy everybody was happy that we at least had a "Name" coming in; though there was a large segment of this forum concerned he would not work out; we were going into the season with an injured Sturridge and Borini + Lambert so yeah most were pleased..euphoric would be stretching it.

That's why I said almost, but I do understand where you're coming from, reactions were probably emphasised by the timing of the deal.

Spot on again. Saint.

I'll freely admit that:

Balotelli on signing I thought there was a chance that IF IF IF IF IF IF he could be a fantastic signing much like I've seen argued in the Benteke thread, on reflection with hindsight it appears that all the IFs didn't come true and we most certainly didn't play to his strengths so really it was probably doomed to begin with.

Moreno I thought also had the chance to become a great signing, I did say at the time that he'd have WTF moments and he was very raw but I freely admit in being very disappointed in him.

Lallana I hadn't watched much but was overwhelmed with the positivity about the lad that by the time I got to see him play I was convinced he was going to be a great signing for us. Right now my opinion on him is probably clear to all, good player but lacks the pace to truly make a consistent difference especially against top quality opposition. On reflection with hindsight I think £25m was far too much.

Lovren again as I hadn't watched much of Southampton I was going off youtube vids and people's reviews, in his first couple of games I thought he could be fantastic but has since done nothing but disappoint and right now, on reflection with hindsight i think he was massively overpriced and in no way the leader he was bought to be.

So for me to compare them to our current signings I can absolutely see how you can compare last summer's reactions to this.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: Jul 28, 2015 10:28:05 pm
      Lot of ifs, ands and buts in there and to be honest I've grown tired of discussing the past...it's dragging me down from my optimism for the future so I'll kindly find my way out. 

:)  Sorry, didn't mean to drag you down mate, just keep taking the happy pills. I think we have a few things to be optimistic about. Our strikers can't do any worse than last season and we won't lose 6-1 to Stoke again.... sadly that's about it :lmao:

Seriously I think we will score more and concede less than last season, but sadly not enough to trouble the top 4.

I think I had better go and spread happiness and joy in some of the other theads now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #69: Jul 28, 2015 11:18:50 pm
      Apparently Brendan didn't want Sturridge either , but because he was scoring Brendan managed to get over that problem, similarly I think if Balloteli had started scoring, you like everyone else including Brendan would be saying what a great buy he was.

Just for the record mate I did think he was a good buy but if the manager didn't and only signed him because there was little other option then maybe he had it in his head that he wasn't going to use him.

I'm not saying it was all Brendan's fault as Mario is a guy that has had his problems in the past but I honestly think more could have been made of Balotelli.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #70: Jul 28, 2015 11:21:49 pm
      :)  Sorry, didn't mean to drag you down mate, just keep taking the happy pills. I think we have a few things to be optimistic about. Our strikers can't do any worse than last season and we won't lose 6-1 to Stoke again.... sadly that's about it :lmao:

Seriously I think we will score more and concede less than last season, but sadly not enough to trouble the top 4.

I think I had better go and spread happiness and joy in some of the other theads now.

You forgot, we'll likely beat Villa this year.....twice ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #71: Jul 29, 2015 10:28:51 am
      Just for the record mate I did think he was a good buy but if the manager didn't and only signed him because there was little other option then maybe he had it in his head that he wasn't going to use him.

I'm not saying it was all Brendan's fault as Mario is a guy that has had his problems in the past but I honestly think more could have been made of Balotelli.

I am sure for £16/18 million there were other options available mate. I just think they thought they were getting a bargain, with the only real risk being he's a nutter. I don't think they expected him to struggle to score as well.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #72: Jul 29, 2015 10:32:04 am
      I am sure for £16/18 million there were other options available mate. I just think they thought they were getting a bargain, with the only real risk being he's a nutter. I don't think they expected him to struggle to score as well.

Think you are right with this analysis.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #73: Jul 29, 2015 12:57:20 pm

Only just seen this topic. And to be fair they do have a point in my view.

5 players for the 1st team squad is half the outfield team.

It's a massive change for the side.  After last summer we were promised that there wouldn't need to be many signings this summer - but it hasn't quite worked out that way - basically because we bought a lot of overpriced average players.

So yes Liverpool are doing the same as what they did last summer.  The only difference is, we hope and many have us an inkling, is that we've bought slightly better players this time around.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #74: Jul 29, 2015 01:07:13 pm
      Only just seen this topic. And to be fair they do have a point in my view.

5 players for the 1st team squad is half the outfield team.

It's a massive change for the side.  After last summer we were promised that there wouldn't need to be many signings this summer - but it hasn't quite worked out that way - basically because we bought a lot of overpriced average players.

So yes Liverpool are doing the same as what they did last summer.  The only difference is, we hope and many have us an inkling, is that we've bought slightly better players this time around.

Suppose my point of view is that they are better players, well most of them anyways. And 3 are experienced premiership players, proven track records. Ings even has a full season scoring in the premiership.

Origi & firmino might take longer to settle, tho Origi is down the pecking order so thats ok, we want firmino to settle quickly.

Quick Reply