Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Number of new players

Read 7829 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Number of new players
      Reply #23: Jul 25, 2015 12:32:43 am
      The worst part of the signings we've made so far is the keeper IMO. Bogdan isn't a keeper you'd have challenging for the title. We needed a keeper that would be competing for the Number 1 spot and can't help but feel we should have gone for Begovic but instead he's ended up at Chelsea to sit on the bench where as if we had gone for him then we'd have had a keeper that IMO is better and more reliable than Migs.

I really can't see what Bogdan will bring to the team other than being someone happy to sit on the bench and play just a couple of games through the season. No ambition in that are of recruitment IMO.

I'll give you that.
      He's no Reina coming in against Dudek.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #24: Jul 25, 2015 06:10:13 am
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #25: Jul 25, 2015 07:25:15 am
      Wow.

So apparently we spent all that money on Lovren, Lallana and Markovic without ever intending for them to be starters.

Interesting.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #26: Jul 25, 2015 08:14:03 am
      Wow.

So apparently we spent all that money on Lovren, Lallana and Markovic without ever intending for them to be starters.

Interesting.
      I think that Lovren was intended to be a starter but he did not showed up,as i remember he was a replacement for Daniel Agger,also i think Lallana was suposed to be a starter too.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #27: Jul 25, 2015 08:44:44 am
      I think that Lovren was intended to be a starter but he did not showed up,as i remember he was a replacement for Daniel Agger,also i think Lallana was suposed to be a starter too.

of course.  they were all meant to be starters.

It's just revisionist history.  Player turns out to be sh*te and we say "oh well he was never meant to be a starter anyway...."

If Benteke etc flops then next summer people will say "oh he was just brought in as cover for Sturridge" etc etc.

They just can't accept the fact that last summer was a complete and total failure, that we wasted all of the money we got from Suarez leaving, that Lallana and Lovren are sh*te, and that we've mostly signed more mediocre crap this summer too.

there's always some excuse.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #28: Jul 25, 2015 09:10:33 am

It's just revisionist history.  Player turns out to be sh*te and we say "oh well he was never meant to be a starter anyway...."

If Benteke etc flops then next summer people will say "oh he was just brought in as cover for Sturridge" etc etc.

They just can't accept the fact that last summer was a complete and total failure, that we wasted all of the money we got from Suarez leaving, that Lallana and Lovren are sh*te, and that we've mostly signed more mediocre crap this summer too.

there's always some excuse.
      I understand what are you talking about mate,you are right.
      There will allways be excuses mate,allways...
      I am hoping and i am kinda sure that this summer cant be worse than the last one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #29: Jul 25, 2015 11:35:31 am

I'm nor sure I've read too many say that Fed.

Lallana and Lovren were defintley signed to be starters, or at least good enough to replace another in the first 11, but both for various reasons haven't nailed down a place so far.

Markovic was always bought with his potential I mind.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #30: Jul 25, 2015 12:12:44 pm
      It's probably going to be a problem having so many new players, but unfortunately for Brendan he's used up all his get out of jail free cards already so it's not going to be an excuse that anybody is going to take seriously. usually players do take time to settle and when they come in in these sort of numbers form does suffer, but we are just going to have to break convention a little and hit the ground at a gallop.

There are players who aren't "new" who owe us a performance or two (Lovren, Lallana, Sakho, Moreno, Mignolet, Markovic etc) and hopefully those of that bunch that can actually still get in the team step up significantly on what they've shown before. If they do I've a hunch we'll go well and surprise a few people, if they don't my guess is things will look quite bleak by Christmas.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #31: Jul 25, 2015 12:18:26 pm
      I'm nor sure I've read too many say that Fed.

Lallana and Lovren were defintley signed to be starters, or at least good enough to replace another in the first 11, but both for various reasons haven't nailed down a place so far.

Markovic was always bought with his potential I mind.
      Markovic was one for the future since he came here.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #32: Jul 25, 2015 12:23:32 pm
      It's probably going to be a problem having so many new players, but unfortunately for Brendan he's used up all his get out of jail free cards already so it's not going to be an excuse that anybody is going to take seriously. usually players do take time to settle and when they come in in these sort of numbers form does suffer, but we are just going to have to break convention a little and hit the ground at a gallop.

There are players who aren't "new" who owe us a performance or two (Lovren, Lallana, Sakho, Moreno, Mignolet, Markovic etc) and hopefully those of that bunch that can actually still get in the team step up significantly on what they've shown before. If they do I've a hunch we'll go well and surprise a few people, if they don't my guess is things will look quite bleak by Christmas.
      Oh mate,Lovren owes us much more than a performance or two,for the money we bought him this man should shed blood on the pitch for us...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #33: Jul 25, 2015 12:24:35 pm

I'm not sure Sakho deserves to be in that list Mick.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #34: Jul 25, 2015 01:28:52 pm
      I'm not sure Sakho deserves to be in that list Mick.

I definately think he does mate, and I really rate the lad. When we bought him a couple of years back I said then that he had everything needed to become the best centre back in the league, and I haven't changed my mind one iota. The fact is though thhat so far it hasn't happened, probably chiefly because he breaks a fingernail and takes two months off twice a season. We need Sakho to absolutely cement his place in the team, be the leader of the defence and become that player that all the other top teams wish they had. So far he just about gets into our first choice eleven, but in most peoples eyes (including mine) Skrtel is our main centre back. Sakho has the capability though to be miles better than Skrtel, I'm hoping this season he shows it and that's why he's in the list.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #35: Jul 25, 2015 09:16:50 pm
      I definately think he does mate, and I really rate the lad. When we bought him a couple of years back I said then that he had everything needed to become the best centre back in the league, and I haven't changed my mind one iota. The fact is though thhat so far it hasn't happened, probably chiefly because he breaks a fingernail and takes two months off twice a season. We need Sakho to absolutely cement his place in the team, be the leader of the defence and become that player that all the other top teams wish they had. So far he just about gets into our first choice eleven, but in most peoples eyes (including mine) Skrtel is our main centre back. Sakho has the capability though to be miles better than Skrtel, I'm hoping this season he shows it and that's why he's in the list.
      Sakho really should make good use from every chance he gets in the first team and cement his place there,i would love him to be our first defender and the commander of the defence,he deserves much more playing time than Lovren.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #36: Jul 25, 2015 09:24:53 pm
      What is encouraging from this years window is that at least four of those lads will walk straight into the starting line-up with Benteke, Clyne, Milner and Firmino all likely to do so. This time last year we were looking at our signings not necessarily knowing who or how many would be in a 1-11 shirt come the first match.

On a side note I see the mancs are playing Barcelona right now, City were playing Madrid a couple of days ago meanwhile our lads are getting run outs against The nightly Adelaide and a couple of pub teams thrown together in Thailand and Malaysia. I k is pre-seasons is all about fitness and prep for the season and evaluating the new signings but wouldn't it worthwhile (as a general rule) to ensure you play someone half-decent at some stage of the schedule?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Jul 25, 2015 09:34:12 pm
      What is encouraging from this years window is that at least four of those lads will walk straight into the starting line-up with Benteke, Clyne, Milner and Firmino all likely to do so. This time last year we were looking at our signings not necessarily knowing who or how many would be in a 1-11 shirt come the first match.

On a side note I see the mancs are playing Barcelona right now, City were playing Madrid a couple of days ago meanwhile our lads are getting run outs against The nightly Adelaide and a couple of pub teams thrown together in Thailand and Malaysia. I k is pre-seasons is all about fitness and prep for the season and evaluating the new signings but wouldn't it worthwhile (as a general rule) to ensure you play someone half-decent at some stage of the schedule?

I used to think that, still do to a point but isn't it about fitness and a gentle sparring match? Showing how your going to set up to win against big teams is only showing your tactics for no real gain.
      Somehow I don't reckon there would be much to garner from playing the big clubs pre season. All the work should be done behind the scenes and not for all our competitors to have any prior knowledge of.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #38: Jul 28, 2015 04:14:56 pm
      Big ben No 9 just as soon as Lambert is sold which should be done by the weekend
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #39: Jul 28, 2015 04:45:27 pm

Not sure if I agree mate, I think most expected Balotelli, Lallana, Lovren and Moreno to walk into the starting 11 last season. The fact that none of them really put together a run of games is perhaps a warning of what can go wrong when players don't settle quickly or don't hit the ground running, especially as Benteke and Firmino won't have had much of a pre-season (even against the "pub teams" we have played)

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40: Jul 28, 2015 04:53:27 pm
      Not sure if I agree mate, I think most expected Balotelli, Lallana, Lovren and Moreno to walk into the starting 11 last season. The fact that none of them really put together a run of games is perhaps a warning of what can go wrong when players don't settle quickly or don't hit the ground running, especially as Benteke and Firmino won't have had much of a pre-season (even against the "pub teams" we have played)

Benteke has been on pre season with villa, he should be ok, sub at worst -v- stoke.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #41: Jul 28, 2015 04:57:50 pm
      Benteke has been on pre season with villa, he should be ok, sub at worst -v- stoke.

Benteke didn't appear in any of Villa's pre-season games
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #42: Jul 28, 2015 05:48:04 pm
      Benteke will start the first game. Firmino will as well. Really no reason to think otherwise.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Jul 28, 2015 05:57:24 pm
      Benteke will start the first game. Firmino will as well. Really no reason to think otherwise.

I think we are starting to move away from the point I was trying to make, which was that expectations for our new players last season where just as high as this season.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #44: Jul 28, 2015 05:57:55 pm
      I think we are starting to move away from the point I was trying to make, which was that expectations for our new players last season where just as high as this season.

I think that's an extremely fair comparison S@int, certainly food for thought.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Jul 28, 2015 06:02:18 pm

Not from me.
      I hoped a couple would hit the ground running, but I didn't expect them to, particularly those from overseas.

Quick Reply