Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sean O'Driscoll

Read 15524 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Sean O'Driscoll
      Jul 11, 2015 03:17:17 pm
      Thread dedicated to discussion of the new assistant manager.

O'Driscoll & Lijnders join coaching staff

6th Jul 2015 - Latest News

O'Driscoll & Lijnders join coaching staff

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed the appointments of Sean O'Driscoll and Pepijn Lijnders to the first-team coaching staff.

O'Driscoll joins the club as assistant manager to Brendan Rodgers, while Lijnders takes on the newly-created role of first team development coach after 12 successful months at the Academy.

Rodgers said: "I have made these appointments because I want to take us in a new technical direction, in terms of coaching.

"I believe the entire first-team set-up will benefit and I am extremely positive and excited about what we can achieve, as a group, going forward."

O'Driscoll arrives at Anfield with a wealth of coaching experience, most recently as England U19s manager. He's also been at the helms of Bournemouth, Doncaster Rovers, Nottingham Forest and Bristol City.

"My admiration for Sean, as a professional, is well documented," said Rodgers. "He is someone with a clear vision and philosophy and has proved he has the ability to transfer that knowledge, through his coaching, to the players.

"I am looking forward to working with him and also learning from his experiences and gaining valuable knowledge from his expertise."

O'Driscoll added: "I am excited to be joining one of the world's most iconic football clubs. The hallmark of any successful club is its culture and that comes from the people who work there, from the chief executive and first-team manager to those people behind the scenes whose faces may not be known but who are the lifeblood of the club.

"From the moment I drove into Melwood last week and was greeted by Kenny the gateman, I could not have been made to feel more welcome. If you are going to have any level of success these people are as crucial as the players; from my experiences so far it is clear everyone wants to help this club succeed."

Lijnders, who held roles at PSV Eindhoven and FC Porto prior to joining Liverpool in 2014, oversaw the development of the club's U16 group last season.

He will continue to work with the elite talent at the Academy as part of his new brief, which has been created in line with the new technical approach to coaching undertaken by the club.

And the senior squad are now also set to benefit from his regular presence at Melwood.

Rodgers said: "This presents a fantastic opportunity for Pep and one I know he will grasp with both hands.

"He has excelled at the Academy and I believe this is the perfect time for him to make the step up to the first-team set-up and use his talents for the benefit of the senior squad.

"Pep displays a passion and enthusiasm for his profession that is truly infectious and I believe will have a positive impact."

Lijnders added: "I feel proud and honoured to work closely with Brendan and his staff. I couldn't think of a better attacking manager to assist.

"Everybody knows how I feel about representing this amazing club. The owners have a clear and strong philosophy which is based on developing top young players into elite - I want to thank them for giving me this opportunity.

"I had a great first year at the Liverpool FC Academy; Alex [Inglethorpe] and his coaching staff are creating something unique there. Again, I am proud to be part of the team and we will give everything."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188037-o-driscoll-lijnders-join-coaching-staff
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Re: Sean O'Driscoll - Assistant Manager
      Reply #1: Jul 18, 2015 12:56:25 pm
      Clearly had a massive effect on the club.

Two games, two wins.

All hail Sean O'Driscoll.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2: Jul 18, 2015 02:38:43 pm
      Clearly had a massive effect on the club.

Two games, two wins.

All hail Sean O'Driscoll.

Even though I know this is tongue in cheek from yourself Billy I wouldn't be surprised that when the results start rolling in again this season some people will give the credit to O'Driscoll rather than Rodgers.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Jul 18, 2015 05:26:17 pm
      Even though I know this is tongue in cheek from yourself Billy I wouldn't be surprised that when the results start rolling in again this season some people will give the credit to O'Driscoll rather than Rodgers.

oh colin, where are you?, where are your shorts ?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4: Jul 18, 2015 07:00:41 pm

Nah O'Driscoll has no "European" knowledge. If we do well, that Lindgard fella or whatever he's called will be a genius.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Jul 18, 2015 07:39:28 pm

He has a smigin of knowledge,

England U19s
      On the 3rd September 2014 the FA announced that Sean O'Driscoll would replace the outgoing Noel Blake in the post of England U19 manager.[15] On the 6th of July 2015 it was confirmed that Sean had negotiated his release from this role in order to take over as assistant manager at Liverpool F.C.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_O%27Driscoll

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #6: Jul 19, 2015 04:13:56 am
      Nah O'Driscoll has no "European" knowledge. If we do well, that Lindgard fella or whatever he's called will be a genius.
      Not going to start this but "European" knowledge is what our manager needs the most rather than "championship" knowledge.Read a few articles about Pep Ljinders,he certainly is highly reagrded in "Europe".
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2015 02:01:33 pm

To be honest Mags, I think Mick it got spot on. Lijnders is more likely to get the credit, but Rodgers and O'Driscoll will get the flak.

And yeah it was tongue in cheek given how much sh*t the fella got when he was appointed and you can guarantee if we'd lost any of these opening pre-season games the manager and his assistant would be getting down the banks. So I'm gonna give them a big pat on the back.

Sean O'Driscoll, three games, three wins, just one goal conceded in that time too.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #8: Jul 20, 2015 02:20:36 pm
      I seen a brief interview with sean, he was talking about how much all the new coaches were enjoying life at LFC, and how they were disagreeing on things, but in a sensible positive way.

Sounds good to me. But lets wait till we are into competative games.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2015 03:26:52 pm
      To be honest Mags, I think Mick it got spot on. Lijnders is more likely to get the credit, but Rodgers and O'Driscoll will get the flak.

And yeah it was tongue in cheek given how much sh*t the fella got when he was appointed and you can guarantee if we'd lost any of these opening pre-season games the manager and his assistant would be getting down the banks. So I'm gonna give them a big pat on the back.

Sean O'Driscoll, three games, three wins, just one goal conceded in that time too.
      If the team will not perform then all of the 3 will be responsible.Ljinders is no different.

If team performs well then the whole coaching staff(including Brendan) will be lauded.

Simple.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #10: Jul 20, 2015 04:08:02 pm
      If the team will not perform then all of the 3 will be responsible.Ljinders is no different.

If team performs well then the whole coaching staff(including Brendan) will be lauded.

Simple.

Except it won't work that way.

Simple.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #11: Jul 20, 2015 04:35:05 pm
      Thats your thinking.

Simple.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #12: Aug 02, 2015 05:54:34 pm
      Big fella still undefeated.

Go 'ed Sean lad.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13: Aug 03, 2015 10:46:43 pm
      Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ96  9m9 minutes ago
      It was Sean O’Driscoll who strongly recommended Liverpool to pursue Gomez. #lfc (Chris Bascombe)
      42 retweets 30 favorites
      Reply  Retweet42  Favorite30
      More

If this is true it could prove to be the first feather in the cap for old SOD (can't resist, I really should).

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Aug 03, 2015 10:59:26 pm
      Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ96  9m9 minutes ago
      It was Sean O’Driscoll who strongly recommended Liverpool to pursue Gomez. #lfc (Chris Bascombe)
      42 retweets 30 favorites
      Reply  Retweet42  Favorite30
      More

If this is true it could prove to be the first feather in the cap for old SOD (can't resist, I really should).

And maybe SOD was one of the reasons why Gomez chose us?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #15: Aug 03, 2015 11:17:36 pm
      Do other clubs talk about their assistant managers?

Honest question. 

I mean I can't even name more than a couple at other clubs, Kidd at City, Giggs at United.  That's about it.

Do we seriously think that our success our failure on the pitch has anything to do with the ASSISTANT managers?

Rodgers really does have it made.  We do well, he takes credit and is a genius.  We do poorly, oh it's the assistant managers' fault. 

Nice work if you can get it.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #16: Aug 04, 2015 01:11:34 am

Honest question. 

I mean I can't even name more than a couple at other clubs, Kidd at City, Giggs at United.  That's about it.

Do we seriously think that our success our failure on the pitch has anything to do with the ASSISTANT managers?

Rodgers really does have it made.  We do well, he takes credit and is a genius.  We do poorly, oh it's the assistant managers' fault. 

I think it's always been a big discussing point with Liverpool fans. I remember when it was the opposite a few years back and people were pinning all success that Rafa had on Pako who was the assistant at the time. Swings and roundabouts, I'm sure the same chatter goes on at other clubs and some City fans are moaning about Kidd wondering who the Assistant at Liverpool even is.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17: Aug 04, 2015 11:31:18 am

Honest question. 

I'm guessing you wanted Pascoe to stay then Fed?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Aug 04, 2015 12:13:50 pm

We talk about every one at this club Fed, tea lady, kit man etc, we're special like that. ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #19: Aug 04, 2015 09:23:13 pm

Honest question. 

I said the same thing when Driscoll was being appointed and many were railing against his experience and his CV. But the funny thing is...now if we do good there will be some that will say it's due to Brendan's assistants and not him ;D

But for me, Brendan will shoulder the blame or the kudos, whichever is relevant.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #20: Aug 05, 2015 05:09:57 am
      I'm guessing you wanted Pascoe to stay then Fed?

I honestly don't give a damn who the assistant manager is.  Pascoe, O'Driscoll, Steve Clarke, Pako, I really couldn't care less and never did. 

but our assistants from last season all got sacked over the summer.  That means that someone---whether it was Rodgers, FSG, or whoever---someone thought that last season was not good enough and that *someone* was to blame.

So.  To look at all the possible places to lay blame for last season and decide that the blame lies at the feet of the.... assistant coaches.... that is just mind boggling.

It's either Rodgers fault for not being a good enough manager or it's the players faults for not being good enough.  That's what it boils down to.

To shift the blame somehow onto the assistant managers is a pathetic and gutless attempt to find a scapegoat without having to look in the mirror. 

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #21: Aug 05, 2015 11:27:54 am
      I honestly don't give a damn who the assistant manager is.  Pascoe, O'Driscoll, Steve Clarke, Pako, I really couldn't care less and never did. 

but our assistants from last season all got sacked over the summer.  That means that someone---whether it was Rodgers, FSG, or whoever---someone thought that last season was not good enough and that *someone* was to blame.

So.  To look at all the possible places to lay blame for last season and decide that the blame lies at the feet of the.... assistant coaches.... that is just mind boggling.

It's either Rodgers fault for not being a good enough manager or it's the players faults for not being good enough.  That's what it boils down to.

To shift the blame somehow onto the assistant managers is a pathetic and gutless attempt to find a scapegoat without having to look in the mirror. 

Ahem, cough, er, well said Fed
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #22: Aug 05, 2015 03:39:45 pm
      Just let him do all the post match interviews and I will be happy

Quick Reply