Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?

Read 39271 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?
      Reply #23: Jul 17, 2015 07:17:39 pm
      How can you not give a damn about the Europa? It's a trophy and we should be going all out to win every trophy we possibly can. Winning builds confidence and momentum so going out to a nobody team isn't going to help things is it. Also had we stayed in the Europa last season and won it then we'd have been playing Champions League in the coming season, to which then you wouldn't be saying you don't care about the Europa.

One of the things that pisses me off most when people say they don't care about a certain competition. Liverpool Football Club is a club that should be winning as many trophies as possible, not only attempting to win certain ones. Europa is still European football, big teams drop into it and although it's not got the prestige of the Champions League, you are still potentially competing with Europes top teams.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #24: Jul 17, 2015 07:37:17 pm
      Keeping Rodgers on after such a disastrous season might be the best decision FSG will ever make at LFC.

I thought it then and I think it now, that the Gaffer is a great manager who is simply making mistakes due to him learning the game at the highest level. He's shown time and again that he learns from mistakes (95% of the time - nobody is perfect and this is a marathon not a sprint) and the signings he's made so far only serve as more evidence of this. For me at least.

My standpoint.

I'm hoping that when the chickens come home to roost those who were wrong will either be man enough to admit it or modern football fan enough to F**k off.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Jul 17, 2015 07:38:25 pm
      I've been one of Brendans biggest supporters on here and I'm made up that the owners have not only kept him on, but it looks like they're properly backing him in the transfer market too. Not only that, they've gone with him on his backroom changes and it appears to me anyway that they've completely got in behind him.

So here's the rub (and I'm assuming we get Benteke here) to my mind from here there can be no excuses. None of this "It takes time to bed lots of new players in" nonsense, none of this "we aren't getting time to train" bollocks, we and Brendan has to deliver. Deliver what exactly? Well I aren't like some on here, I don't demand that he does the quadruple, pens the Eurovision song contest winner and comes up with the solution to Greek debt crisis before next May. What I do demand though is that we become a credible challenging team BY THE END OF THE SEASON. I put that bit in capitals because as everyone knows, we have a very tough start. If we start badly or even averagely badly, that simply means we have to go on a sustained run of winning football matches before the end of the season. However we do it I don't really care, but to my mind we have to put in a credible challenge for one or more of the top four places in the league. That doesn't mean we're "aiming for fourth" as of course we're "aiming" for first, but it does mean that being seven or eight points outside of the top four with four or five games to go and needing snookers isn't good enough. Last seasons performance for example would be in my eyes nowhere near good enough.

In the cups of course lots depends upon the draw. If we lose at Chelsea away I can live with that if we get done in a tight match. Losing to Aston Villa on a neutral ground though in a cup semi final is bollocks, it was bollocks last season and it would be bollocks this. If such an eventuality or upset were to occur, in my eyes we really ought to be compensating for it in another competition. Whichever way you look at it though we need to improve and drastically, or there's nowhere to hide.

Anyway given our squad and the fact the manager has been backed re his targets on players (assuming we get Benteke) and his backroom, this for me is this seasons "par".

1. It is extremely unlikely but not completely impossible that we could win the league. While I accept it is unlikely, we ought to approach the season with a challengers mentality. While it is entirely possible if we are managed well that we could finish in any spot from 1-4, "par" for me would be definitely no lower than fifth, and if we do miss out on the top four it should only be by the tiniest of margins. Anything less is not good enough, no excuses.

2. We should not be losing to teams like Aston Villa on a neutral ground in cup semi finals, certainly not in the manner we did where we were completely outplayed and outfought. If they completely fluke the win a la the Mancs in the Champions League final against Bayern there's not too much you can do, but even if that happens their goal should be under siege for the last 20 minutes.

3. The Europa League I don't give a flying f*** about, and I should hope neither will Brendan unless we get to the last eight even though we are playing a scratch team every week. As such, I won't be criticising him if we get knocked out by AEK Dukla Transylvania or some such nonsense, but neither do I want to hear a "lack of training time" excuse.

It's time to deliver, now.   

There's so much contradiction in this post it's unreal.

If Benteke signs then no excuses can be made about having to bed loads of players in (even though he'd obviously add an extra number to the squad) but if he doesn't sign then you're implying that people can come up with whatever excuses they like.

You go on about not making demands of the team and manager yet you then start making demands. You need to make your mind up, one minute you demand we win some trophies and the next you're coming up with all sorts of reasons why you'd be happy if we win nothing.

To not give a flying F**k about the Europa League is ridiculous. You do know the winner goes through to the following season's Champions League group stage right? Considering we may or may not finish 4th, we need to be trying to win this competition. You want the manager to not give two shits about it but you also want him to make the last 8 :D Doesn't work like that mate, it's a competitive competition and won't be a cake walk playing a bunch of kids which you no doubt want us to do.

I thought Liverpool fans wanted their team to win whatever competition or game that they took part in but obviously I was wrong. The cheek on some fans to think that they can just decide what competition to give a sh*t about. I bet you'd be one of the first to jump on the bandwagon should those players be accused of not giving a sh*t though.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,197 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #26: Jul 17, 2015 08:08:59 pm
      Depends if BR has learnt from last year. And the team are still behind him.

Also depends on if BR has learned how to defend.....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #27: Jul 17, 2015 08:10:35 pm

Brendan playing CB then? :f_tongueincheek:
      LFCexiled
      Reply #28: Jul 17, 2015 08:28:26 pm

His lips?

Get a ChapStick man.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #29: Jul 17, 2015 08:56:59 pm

Heard the same rumors coming out of the dressing room; nice teeth but the BO needed work.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #30: Jul 17, 2015 10:11:11 pm
      i believe we well be in and out of the top 4 over the next few years. There is certainly a 'Top 5' (Us, United, City, Chelsea. Arsenal) so i dont think not making top 4 is necessarily reason to play Managerial Musical Chairs every season. I think it all depends on the situation.

I look forward to Man City's self implosion, and Arsene Wenger getting old and retiring and Arsenal struggling to find a replacement for him (there are slim pickings out there)

It will serve us well
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #31: Jul 17, 2015 10:20:53 pm
      I think the Scum will be knocked out in UCL Playoffs and we'll see some implosion there.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #32: Jul 17, 2015 10:37:49 pm
      I look forward to Man City's self implosion, and Arsene Wenger getting old and retiring and Arsenal struggling to find a replacement for him (there are slim pickings out there)

People have been hoping this for a long time and yet he's still going strong. Klopp seems the most natural replacement they could possibly get though.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #33: Jul 17, 2015 11:20:25 pm
      People have been hoping this for a long time and yet he's still going strong. Klopp seems the most natural replacement they could possibly get though.

Klopp would slot in from the get go at Arsenal.

Arsenals current revenue stream + Klopps Tactics = Scary
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34: Jul 17, 2015 11:44:21 pm
      Klopp would slot in from the get go at Arsenal.

Arsenals current revenue stream + Klopps Tactics = Scary

Yep, must admit part of the appeal for me in going after Klopp was denying him from them, do think he's the absolute perfect fit for them and would take them up another level. As you say, scary thought.
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #35: Jul 18, 2015 02:32:36 am
      i believe we well be in and out of the top 4 over the next few years. There is certainly a 'Top 5' (Us, United, City, Chelsea. Arsenal) so i dont think not making top 4 is necessarily reason to play Managerial Musical Chairs every season. I think it all depends on the situation.

It will serve us well

Pinning our hopes on other teams 'imploding' is a ridiculous strategy and one that no one would have faith in.

None of the other top teams are going anywhere anytime soon, so we have to be better than them instead of hoping for an 'implosion'.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #36: Jul 18, 2015 04:31:05 am
      Quote from bigmick
      I've been one of Brendans biggest supporters on here.

So here's the rub. None of this "It takes time to bed lots of new players in" nonsense, none of this "we aren't getting time to train" bollocks, we and Last seasons performance for example would be in my eyes nowhere near good enough.

In the cups of course lots depends upon the draw. We should not be losing to teams like Aston Villa on a neutral ground in cup semi finals, certainly not in the manner we did where we were completely outplayed and outfought.

The Europa League I don't give a flying f*** about, and I should hope neither will Brendan unless we get to the last eight even though we are playing a scratch team every week. As such, I won't be criticising him if we get knocked out by AEK Dukla Transylvania or some such nonsense, but neither do I want to hear a "lack of training time" excuse.

It's time to deliver, now.   

We haven't beaten Villa at home since the Hodgson days, but we still shouldn't be losing to them apparently.

And yes, I'm aware it was on neutral ground last time, but that doesn't change anything. On any ground, Villa are a bogey side for us to face these days. Other sides go out of the cup after leading 2-0 at home to Bradford nowadays.

I'm taking every competition seriously this season. There are many quality sides to play in Europe, and a fabulous opportunity for the players to get decent European experience and provide competition for places. There is no AEK Dukla Transylvania to face, but there is a European Cup spot on offer if we go for it. If you like our short hops to Athens, Moscow, or St. Petersburg, you'll put up with trips to Bucharest and Belgrade like the rest of us.
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2015 04:29:50 am by lfc across the water »
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #37: Jul 18, 2015 11:09:30 am

It will serve us well

I have just 3 points to make. Firstly the Spuds have finished ahead of us in 5 of the last 6 seasons so it's not a Top 5 it's a Top 6 and overlooking them (or any other team for that matter) is not in any way, shape or form wise. I'd say we should approach every match like we're playing Chelsea but we'd probably get relegated if we did so it would be nice if we changed that mentality issue and we started performing against all teams rather than counting points we haven't won yet. Secondly if you're hedging your bets on City imploding and Wenger retiring then you're going to be waiting a long time for us to win anything. Rather than hoping for deficiencies in other teams, how about we fix our own? What will serve us well is not shipping 48+ goals a season. What will serve us well is playing players in the correct positions (No Markovic at wingback or Can as a fullback for example. What will serve us all well is a cup or two (preferably the Europa League). Waiting for a City implosion or Wenger going upstairs at Arsenal isn't going to do sh*t for us. You were probably one of those waiting for Abramovich to get bored and Chelsea's bubble to burst.

Thirdly how anyone can sit there and say they don't give a F**k about the Europa League baffles me. Firstly it's a trophy, secondly it guarantees Champions League football the following season. Without the Europa League in order to guarantee Champions League we'd have to be better than at least 17 other teams over the course of a 38 game season where we'd have no silverware at the end of it. We'd have to finish ahead of at least 2 teams who are much better off than us financially and who attract better players and another team who finish ahead of us for fun. With the Europa League it's 15 games. Thats it 15 matches and a trophy.

I like those odds better hey. And anyone who says they don't care about the Europa League before the competition even starts just reeks of covering Brendan's arse.  If we get knocked out early by some sh*te team then out comes the "Europa league doesn't matter"  "It's filled with AEK Dukla Transylvanias anyway" "Now we can focus on the league" (which is more difficult anyway) sort of posts. But if we won it we wouldn't be getting the "Europa league doesn't matter"  "It's filled with AEK Dukla Transylvanias anyway" posts now would we? No Brendan would have proved everyone wrong by winning a trophy that supposedly doesn't matter and he'd be vindicated. Bet Mick would be the first one to point that out too.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #38: Jul 18, 2015 11:39:07 am
      I've heard, when it comes to the kids today, they don't care about the treble, as it's all about that bass.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #39: Jul 18, 2015 12:49:07 pm
      I would love to know what people are basing the idea on that if Rodgers doesn't hit the ground running, his job could be in threat.

There's literally nothing whatsoever to suggest that FSG even for one moment considered sacking him. 

I think he's got much more breathing room than any of us think.  We all think that if he doesn't get a trophy, or doesn't get top four, or this or that, then.... something.

I think the reality is that FSG like having a yes-man in charge.  And it's been well documented that Rodgers has a very good relationship with Mike Gordon, who apparently runs the club single-handedly. 

Seems to me like Rodgers has charmed both Gordon and FSG, neither of whom really know anything about football.  They like him, he's "their guy," and he would have to do something really drastic like get us in the relegation zone for them to even think of getting rid of him.

Our own standards---that he needs to get top four, needs to win a trophy, blah blah blah---those are just what they are, our own standards as supporters of one of the most successful clubs in world football.

But it would be a mistake to assume that FSG share that viewpoint.  That they didn't care that we lost 6-1 to Stoke just shows that they're not really arsed about the traditions of the club and its importance.  We're all shocked because *we* think it's not good enough not to get into the top four after spending all that money in 2014, *we* think it's not good enough to get trounced by Villa in a semi-final, to get destroyed by Stoke and not even think about making a change until after half time, to lose all our important games, etc etc.  *We* think that those are sackable offences, so we just assume that FSG thinks that too.

I don't think they do.  I think their measure of what is "too far" is much farther than our own.

Those thinking Brendan's position is under any kind of threat are living in a fantasy world.  FSG have no intention of getting rid of Rodgers.  In fact I would be very surprised if he's under any real pressure at all.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #40: Jul 18, 2015 10:56:52 pm
      I hate all this we've won one cup in the last 9 years or whatever nonsense.

Is it not easier to say we've won 3 trophies in the last 10 seasons including the Champions League whilst also being ranked the Number 1 side in Europe around that time when we were qualifying for the CL and beating a lot of Europe's top, top brass?

Or is that inadvertently giving a bit too much credit to somebody that a few people strangely don't want to give any credit to?
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #41: Jul 20, 2015 12:12:00 am
      Losing our two best strikers, one to Barcelona and one to a season long Injury wasn't a bad excuse
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #42: Jul 20, 2015 03:32:12 am
      He's been given everything he has wanted this season and going in to his fourth term so if he doesn't nail top 4 he's off.

Which would be fair enough. Zero excuses about depth, quality, owners or anything.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #43: Jul 20, 2015 10:13:42 am
      He's been given everything he has wanted this season and going in to his fourth term so if he doesn't nail top 4 he's off.

Which would be fair enough. Zero excuses about depth, quality, owners or anything.

He has to be in and around it all season too... he wont be allowed to fall behind the top 4 with the hope of turning it around...

Halloween would be a check point and Christmas beyond that...
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #44: Jul 21, 2015 05:03:37 pm
      Halloween? Christmas?? Are you mad???

Have you forgotten the "we're better in the second half of the season" excuse. Should be only weeks away from getting trotted out again...

Quote from federer
      I would love to know what people are basing the idea on that if Rodgers doesn't hit the ground running, his job could be in threat.

That they didn't care that we lost 6-1 to Stoke just shows that they're not really arsed about the traditions of the club and its importance.  We think it's not good enough to get trounced by Villa in a semi-final, to get destroyed by Stoke and not even think about making a change until after half time, to lose all our important games, etc etc.  *We* think that those are sackable offences, so we just assume that FSG thinks that too.

Those thinking Brendan's position is under any kind of threat are living in a fantasy world.  FSG have no intention of getting rid of Rodgers.  In fact I would be very surprised if he's under any real pressure at all.

He was under pressure as he admitted at a number of points last season, and if we didn't finish second in 2014, he would be gone now.

We reached the cup semi final and lost by the odd goal in three, not exactly "trounced". Most of our rivals didn't make it that far. While the Stoke result was 1 in 114 league games, arguably the least important one from a competitive pov. It would have been wrong for him to be judged on that basis alone. Go there in 3 weeks, get a result, and it will consign that scoreline to the dustbin.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #45: Jul 21, 2015 05:11:57 pm
      Looking forward to BR turning things round, with his new pals & new players. Feeling positive about thsi season.

Onwards and upwards felow reds, and the more I think about it, the tough start might be the best thing for us, no relaxing, just get right in about it early doors.

Quick Reply