Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?

Read 39294 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?
      Reply #46: Jul 21, 2015 05:48:33 pm
      His starting XI is basically his own now with the exception of Skrtel, Lucas, Henderson, Flanagan and Enrique should any of the latter start, he really shouldn't have any excuses, its his squad now, he's assembled it.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #47: Jul 21, 2015 08:32:43 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #48: Jul 21, 2015 08:34:26 pm
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #49: Jul 21, 2015 09:15:40 pm
      Have supported BR all along and for multiple reasons already discussed ad nausuem thought he deserved to be here for the season coming.

My main question mark against BR has been his signings record. In the past, given budget and other failures to sign guys, have given him benefit of the doubt - but this summer he's had cash to spend, and what's more appears to have been able to get HIS targets. No Mario 'hit-and-hope' purchase this time round.

Many of our big money buys last season didn't do enough - Lallana, Lovren, Balotelli, Markovic - listed in decreasing order of usefulness.  The goalscoring slack was picked up by existing guys like Sterling and SG - guys who've now left (fully expect Sterling will show what we will be missing).
      So there is EVEN LESS room for manoeuvre/failure with respect to new signings like Firmino and Benteke, the big money boys. Who'll chip in with the goals when the chips are down if they don't. The pressure will be full on -- will they be up to it? -- remains to be seen.

I've doubts mainly re. Benteke - and as don't see Ings and Origi as 'top4 quality'.  I REALLY hope he can do the business. Think Milner and Clyne are solid buys. Firmino looks like he could be good, but he's a bit of a unknown quantity. But given who we've lost, Benteke and Firmino will NEED to produce. Can't afford those guys to flop (for context, I'd consider Lovren/Balo/Markovic as flops last season ... Lallana will give benefit of doubt just about) ... but if they do underwhelm, I'd expect us to struggle even more next season than last ... and unlike last season, it'll mainly be BR in the hole with the spade.

I look forward to being wrong about Benteke, really would like to see BR put last season behind him, to see us return if possible to some of the heights of the season before last ... and think some of the signings are good ... but weighing it all up, just not seeing top4 right now...
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #50: Jul 24, 2015 10:21:16 pm
      Top 4 for me or he must be removed. To be given four years in the job is enough time to build his squad and implement his ideas.

Realistically any average manager like Alan Pardew given 4 years in charge of Liverpool with the money spent could finish 5th/6th. There's only Spurs who have any real chance of 5th above us and they've had 3 managers in the last 3 years  - yet still finished above Rodgers twice in his three years in charge.

I've never been a fan of the guy because he has never proven himself a winner at any level and is awful in Europe. But he nearly pulled of a miracle a few years ago in the league so let's see this season if that was the fluke many thought it was or if he can show the bounce-back ability of a quality manager.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #51: Jul 25, 2015 01:54:54 pm
      I think the need for defensive testicular fortitude is paramount along with functionality through the lines. I'm reasonably happy in aspects of the Rodgers way, however wherever we have found to be lacking has been absolutely gaping, rather than just minor issues. Even the great run in 13/14 should have seen us comfortably the best goal differential, yet we compensated only by having a historically great goal scoring year. My long winded and travel tired point being that, among all things, the most important thing I'll be looking for is defensive cohesiveness, maturity, fluidity within the system, and confidence.

I'm not exactly expecting the best defense in the league, but a marked improvement on the calamity that was much of last season would be a start. If at the end of the season we've still managed to make the likes of Stoke look like Barcelona then I'll be asking serious questions. Front to back, the side must find the balance. Top four and/or Europa has to be minimum, otherwise it'll be 3/4 BR years of not qualifying for Champions League and that would be enough for me to be wanting owners to have a serious look at qualified candidates for replacement. Even pulling off a Europa win but failing to make top four would still not fill me with incredible confidence, but gaining CL would give him that last year to see what he could do - I would assume.

I didn't curse once in that post. F**k me, I need a beer.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #52: Jul 25, 2015 08:39:39 pm
      To not give a flying f**k about the Europa League is ridiculous. You do know the winner goes through to the following season's Champions League group stage right?

can't wait to get back into the Champions League!

we'll get the chance for Rodgers to field a reserve side at the Bernabeu again, so that we can focus on the weekend league match that we'll lose anyway.

roll on CL football!!

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #53: Jul 25, 2015 09:03:13 pm
      can't wait to get back into the Champions League!

we'll get the chance for Rodgers to field a reserve side at the Bernabeu again, so that we can focus on the weekend league match that we'll lose anyway.

roll on CL football!!

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #54: Jul 25, 2015 09:09:05 pm
      With the money spent on transfers,and the names that were bought there really shouldnt be any more excuses.
      BR got full backing of the owners and has got a couple of good players and if things go the wrong way and nothing goes as it should go than there is nothing else for BR to do than to quit hes job.
      I would be elated to see BR as a succesful and trophy manager of Liverpool for many many years,but no more excuses,enough of that.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #55: Jul 26, 2015 06:49:01 pm
      As i am a cynic, I truly beleive that Rodgers will be shown up for the weak novice he is. Nothing he has done, or the signings "HE" has made this season , has done anything other than to make me think that we are about to have a disastrous start to a season.

His undoing will be his poor coaching and disastrous defensive prowess. After 5 games many will be screaming for his head.
      However , if we get off to a great and unexpected start....... WAIT!!! what am i saying. I nearly got caught up in pre- season euphoria there for a minute.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #56: Jul 26, 2015 07:02:40 pm
      I don't know why people have to be so negative. Must suck to go through life with such a sucky outlook.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #57: Jul 26, 2015 07:35:22 pm
      As i am a cynic, I truly beleive that Rodgers will be shown up for the weak novice he is. Nothing he has done, or the signings "HE" has made this season , has done anything other than to make me think that we are about to have a disastrous start to a season.

So you're not happy with the signings we've made this season? Or is it just because Brendan made them?
      We have improved the first team this season with these signings, wether they will be enough to bring us top 4, we'll have to wait and see.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #58: Jul 26, 2015 08:01:01 pm
      So you're not happy with the signings we've made this season? Or is it just because Brendan made them?
      We have improved the first team this season with these signings, wether they will be enough to bring us top 4, we'll have to wait and see.

Well , its clear i'm not happy. But i don't see how we 've improved the team. If you add more players , it doesn't necessarily mean the TEAM has been improved , if they are not managed correctly. It will just be more players playing without direction.

Of course this is just how i see it.Lets not forget, Rodgers has spent £290 million and we are nowhere near being a top side.

So a novice manager has been given his big chance, at a top club, backed by millions of pounds and whats coming up this season , is gona be his statement on the league.

I am not optimistic
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #59: Jul 26, 2015 08:11:32 pm
      Well , its clear i'm not happy. But i don't see how we 've improved the team. If you add more players , it doesn't necessarily mean the TEAM has been improved , if they are not managed correctly. It will just be more players playing without direction.

Couldn't agree more. This totally eluded me for a while as the new signings masked the real problem I had last season.... Rodgers. Though it is only pre season, I admit, concerns are returning and yet again and I find myself questioning him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Jul 26, 2015 08:19:06 pm

His undoing will be his poor coaching and disastrous defensive prowess. After 5 games many will be screaming for his head.
      However , if we get off to a great and unexpected start....... WAIT!!! what am i saying. I nearly got caught up in pre- season euphoria there for a minute.

Not that long ago you were convinced Brendan would be sacked and Klopp would now be our Manager.  A few of us thought the same but it seems our owners thought differently and decided to back our Manager rather than scrap the last 3 years to start the process all over again. 

Not everyone, as you've shown with this post, has got on board with this but to proclaim that we'll have a disastrous season and that "many" will be screaming for him to be sacked within 5 games before a ball's been kicked is a little silly when you're earlier prediction was so far from actuality.

Nobody is expecting, or particularly wanting, you to be "euphoric" about anything connected to the Club, it's your preference to choose to be negative but some of us, weirdly it seems, like to remain positive and are looking forward to the new season.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #61: Jul 26, 2015 08:22:51 pm

Of course this is just how i see it.Lets not forget, Rodgers has spent £290 million and we are nowhere near being a top side.

So a novice manager has been given his big chance, at a top club, backed by millions of pounds and whats coming up this season , is gona be his statement on the league.

I am not optimistic

I've said that if Brendan was giver he tools, he'll be a success, and by that I mean quality players.
      I know he bought into FSGs money ball policy, but he has since learned ( judging by his statements) that without top players, he was fighting a losing battle.
      I back him to improve things greatly this season, not necessarily a top 4 finish, but a real difference in how we preform compared to last season.
      This is his last chance to do so!
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #62: Jul 26, 2015 08:52:33 pm
      Not that long ago you were convinced Brendan would be sacked and Klopp would now be our Manager.  A few of us thought the same but it seems our owners thought differently and decided to back our Manager rather than scrap the last 3 years to start the process all over again. 

Not everyone, as you've shown with this post, has got on board with this but to proclaim that we'll have a disastrous season and that "many" will be screaming for him to be sacked within 5 games before a ball's been kicked is a little silly when you're earlier prediction was so far from actuality.

Nobody is expecting, or particularly wanting, you to be "euphoric" about anything connected to the Club, it's your preference to choose to be negative but some of us, weirdly it seems, like to remain positive and are looking forward to the new season.

First off debs, i don't care who agrees with what i think, i'm just giving my opinion on how i see things going.

I have no problem with you or many others being optimistic with our signings and the start to the new season.  I just don't share your view , so i'm just giving you my opinion.

It's not personal or vindictive, as we all want the same thing. I actually admire your optimism,  because i was once like you, but i've learnt to trust my gut , and it's telling ME to expect the worst.

Like i've said before, i have seen NOTHING to make me think we are going to improve at all this season. in fact, i actually think we are going to get worse. IMO
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #63: Jul 26, 2015 08:53:25 pm
      I've said that if Brendan was giver he tools, he'll be a success, and by that I mean quality players.
      I know he bought into FSGs money ball policy, but he has since learned ( judging by his statements) that without top players, he was fighting a losing battle.
      I back him to improve things greatly this season, not necessarily a top 4 finish, but a real difference in how we preform compared to last season.
      This is his last chance to do so!

Fair dinkum
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #64: Jul 26, 2015 09:01:26 pm
      but i've learnt to trust my gut , and it's telling ME to expect the worst.

That's just the diarrhea lad.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #65: Jul 26, 2015 09:07:43 pm

I have just had a chicken tikka and a bottle of red, so i am expecting the worst tomoro.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #66: Jul 26, 2015 09:26:44 pm
      First off debs, i don't care who agrees with what i think, i'm just giving my opinion on how i see things going.

I have no problem with you or many others being optimistic with our signings and the start to the new season.  I just don't share your view , so i'm just giving you my opinion.

It's not personal or vindictive, as we all want the same thing. I actually admire your optimism,  because i was once like you, but i've learnt to trust my gut , and it's telling ME to expect the worst.

Like i've said before, i have seen NOTHING to make me think we are going to improve at all this season. in fact, i actually think we are going to get worse. IMO

That's really sad to hear mate, it must be terrible to be in such a dark place.  You must be dreading the 9th August and will have made alternative arrangements for when the match is on so you don't have to witness your worst fears.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #67: Jul 26, 2015 09:41:30 pm
      That's really sad to hear mate, it must be terrible to be in such a dark place.  You must be dreading the 9th August and will have made alternative arrangements for when the match is on so you don't have to witness your worst fears.

Not really, i've just grown use to it. Plus , i have a pretty decent life. The last time i had genuine faith in our manager was under Houllier.  Because the first thing he did was give us a superb defence.
      he built from the back. Rodgers is a scatterbrain IMO. He buys players with no forward thinking. He is a novice. promoted above his station.

I hope we improve, like everyone else, but i know we are going no where.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #68: Jul 26, 2015 09:46:49 pm
      Not really, i've just grown use to it. Plus , i have a pretty decent life. The last time i had genuine faith in our manager was under Houllier.  Because the first thing he did was give us a superb defence.
      he built from the back. Rodgers is a scatterbrain IMO. He buys players with no forward thinking. He is a novice. promoted above his station.

I hope we improve, like everyone else, but i know we are going no where.

Actually it's not possible to have hope while simultaneously "knowing" we aren't going anywhere. So not only are you depressed apparently but also a bit bi-polar perhaps. Might be time to visit a shrink.

Quick Reply