Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?

Read 39286 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?
      Reply #69: Jul 26, 2015 09:50:08 pm
      Not really, i've just grown use to it. Plus , i have a pretty decent life. The last time i had genuine faith in our manager was under Houllier.  Because the first thing he did was give us a superb defence.
      he built from the back. Rodgers is a scatterbrain IMO. He buys players with no forward thinking. He is a novice. promoted above his station.

I hope we improve, like everyone else, but i know we are going no where.

Like I said that's sad.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #70: Jul 26, 2015 10:16:11 pm
      First off debs, i don't care who agrees with what i think, i'm just giving my opinion on how i see things going.

I have no problem with you or many others being optimistic with our signings and the start to the new season.  I just don't share your view , so i'm just giving you my opinion.

It's not personal or vindictive, as we all want the same thing. I actually admire your optimism,  because i was once like you, but i've learnt to trust my gut , and it's telling ME to expect the worst.

Like i've said before, i have seen NOTHING to make me think we are going to improve at all this season. in fact, i actually think we are going to get worse. IMO

You don't have a problem with somebody being optimistic? You say it like being optimistic is a negative thing. What concrete evidence have you got to support your theory that we are going to be worse than last year?

Not really, i've just grown use to it. Plus , i have a pretty decent life. The last time i had genuine faith in our manager was under Houllier.  Because the first thing he did was give us a superb defence.
      he built from the back. Rodgers is a scatterbrain IMO. He buys players with no forward thinking. He is a novice. promoted above his station.

I hope we improve, like everyone else, but i know we are going no where.

You didn't have faith in Rafa? The man who came to us after winning a La Liga and UEFA Cup double with Valencia, guided us to the Champions League in his first season, an FA Cup in his second and very nearly a league title. If you don't have faith in somebody like that then you'll never have faith in any manager.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,255 posts | 6364 
      Reply #71: Jul 26, 2015 10:21:45 pm
      What concrete evidence have you got to support your theory that we are going to be worse than last year?

His gut....

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #72: Jul 27, 2015 09:51:21 am

Ah , don't weep for me , it's not all bad , i've still got the new STAR WARS movie to look forward to.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #73: Jul 27, 2015 09:58:38 am
      You don't have a problem with somebody being optimistic? You say it like being optimistic is a negative thing. What concrete evidence have you got to support your theory that we are going to be worse than last year?

You didn't have faith in Rafa? The man who came to us after winning a La Liga and UEFA Cup double with Valencia, guided us to the Champions League in his first season, an FA Cup in his second and very nearly a league title. If you don't have faith in somebody like that then you'll never have faith in any manager.

I love optimism!!!! I just don't share yours. and surely you don't need mine to make yourself feel better do you?
      If YOU think we are gona have a good season, the new players are gona perform and Rodgers is gona come good, then fine. i'm happy for you.

No , i did not have faith in RAFA.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Jul 27, 2015 10:02:19 am
      Ah , don't weep for me , it's not all bad , i've still got the new STAR WARS movie to look forward to.

Oh I'm sure Disney will do a fine job of ruining that for you mate but at least you're optimistic enough to still be looking forward to it  ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #75: Jul 27, 2015 12:31:34 pm
      I love optimism!!!! I just don't share yours. and surely you don't need mine to make yourself feel better do you?
      If YOU think we are gona have a good season, the new players are gona perform and Rodgers is gona come good, then fine. i'm happy for you.

No , i did not have faith in RAFA.

Matter of interest, what LFC manager's in recent times have you had faith in ?

Recent times, I can only say project Barn Owl with Hodgson is the only time Ive lost faith in a manager, don't think I even had it with that clown & then brendan at the end of the season there.

Im now hopeful about this season with the changes he has made.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #76: Jul 27, 2015 12:41:33 pm
      Matter of interest, what LFC manager's in recent times have you had faith in ?

Recent times, I can only say project Barn Owl with Hodgson is the only time Ive lost faith in a manager, don't think I even had it with that clown & then brendan at the end of the season there.

Im now hopeful about this season with the changes he has made.

Houllier was a manager i had faith in from the start. I know it did turn into a bit of a car crash , but the first 3 seasons, i completely believed he was gona give us the league.

I really, really did want Roy Evans to be great , but i never really thought he was ruthless enough to take us all the way. Superb man Roy Evans by the way.
      No one else.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #77: Jul 27, 2015 12:43:59 pm
      Houllier was a manager i had faith in from the start. I know it did turn into a bit of a car crash , but the first 3 seasons, i completely believed he was gona give us the league.

I really, really did want Roy Evans to be great , but i never really thought he was ruthless enough to take us all the way. Superb man Roy Evans by the way.
      No one else.

Yip pretty similair here, Loved both of them, but as Carra has been quoted as saying the job changed them both.

Roy's teams could have done with Gerard's defence. we would have wiped the floor with all comers then.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,162 posts | 4903 
      Reply #78: Jul 27, 2015 12:55:28 pm

No one else.

I think you're on a bit of a wind up mate if you didn't have any faith in Rafa at any point of his time here.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #79: Jul 27, 2015 02:04:42 pm
      Yip pretty similair here, Loved both of them, but as Carra has been quoted as saying the job changed them both.

Roy's teams could have done with Gerard's defence. we would have wiped the floor with all comers then.

Yep , think that combination might just of got us over the line.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,255 posts | 6364 
      Reply #80: Jul 27, 2015 02:08:18 pm
      Yep , think that combination might just of got us over the line.

Not sure why it matters since this is a thread about Rodgers and not Roy Evans.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,162 posts | 4903 
      Reply #81: Jul 27, 2015 02:10:14 pm

Come on FL you know the drill by now.

The Thread title is only a tough guide to what's going on. ;D
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #82: Jul 27, 2015 02:13:42 pm
      I think you're on a bit of a wind up mate if you didn't have any faith in Rafa at any point of his time here.

No, he never convinced me. His first league campaign was pretty woeful and he was always too cautious for me. It obviously wasn't all bad , but, IMO  i thought he always tried to set up his teams not lose, first and foremost, instead of going for the throat. It was as if he thought we could squirm over the line . To win a championship , you have to seize it.
      So i was never convinced he would bring us the title , and unfortunately, he never did.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,162 posts | 4903 
      Reply #83: Jul 27, 2015 02:16:56 pm
      No, he never convinced me. His first league campaign was pretty woeful and he was always too cautious for me. It obviously wasn't all bad , but, IMO  i thought he always tried to set up his teams not lose, first and foremost, instead of going for the throat. It was as if he thought we could squirm over the line . To win a championship , you have to seize it.
      So i was never convinced he would bring us the title , and unfortunately, he never did.

Aye because Houllier was so attack minded. :roll:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #84: Jul 27, 2015 02:18:50 pm
      Aye because Houllier was so attack minded. :roll:

And Brendan's too attack minded.  There's no pleasing some Si.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #85: Jul 27, 2015 03:11:35 pm

true, my fault for asking which managers he did trust in recent times.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #86: Jul 27, 2015 10:14:22 pm
      I sincerely hope we go to Stoke and absolutely tw*t them off the field. there will be much more Steel in this years time I am quitely confident.
      I think Benteke will be outstanding and he willprove he isn't  just a big lump up front he reminds me of a young Drogba.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #87: Jul 27, 2015 11:14:35 pm
      Regardless of getting in £75mill from Suarez last season ad £49mill from Sterling this summer; he'd have spent the best part of £200mill on players in two summers so anything less than at least one trophy and a strong finish in the league isn't good enough and will have to be the end of the road for Rodgers. Last chance saloon with no more excuses, he'd have had a lot of money and a lot of time to re-build the squad/staff. If he thought there was pressure last season then he hasn't got a clue what he will be facing this season, lets just hope he handles it a darn sight better.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #88: Jul 27, 2015 11:52:13 pm
      Regardless of getting in £75mill from Suarez last season ad £49mill from Sterling this summer; he'd have spent the best part of £200mill on players in two summers so anything less than at least one trophy and a strong finish in the league isn't good enough and will have to be the end of the road for Rodgers. Last chance saloon with no more excuses, he'd have had a lot of money and a lot of time to re-build the squad/staff. If he thought there was pressure last season then he hasn't got a clue what he will be facing this season, lets just hope he handles it a darn sight better.

Had to stop reading there.

His name isn't Rafa, so he doesn't get the 'net' spend argument thrown his way.  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #89: Jul 28, 2015 12:35:25 am

Nah. You can't ignore the loss of two of our better players like that.
      Especially Suarez. I bet we're feeling the pinch off losing Suarez off the pitch now.
      Superstar gone. Star attraction gone. Gerrard two.
      Massive losses in back to back windows.

What I want to see is that Brendan has learned from last season's mistakes.
      Unfortunately he seems to be already making excuses for Europa League with this "B Team " talk.
      Less of that please Brendan.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #90: Jul 28, 2015 12:44:58 am
      Nah. You can't ignore the loss of two of our better players like that.
      Especially Suarez. I bet we're feeling the pinch off losing Suarez off the pitch now.
      Superstar gone. Star attraction gone. Gerrard two.
      Massive losses in back to back windows.

What I want to see is that Brendan has learned from last season's mistakes.
      Unfortunately he seems to be already making excuses for Europa League with this "B Team " talk.
      Less of that please Brendan.

But Suarez is a year in the past now, if after the amount of players signed and money spent, we still haven't found an effective signing to take his place then there really is no hope. Suarez is a one off player that doesn't come along all that often, so it's a case of making sure you identify a suitable player(s) to come in to not take his place as such because chances are that simply isn't going to happen, but to change us for the better compared to last season.

Trophy is a trophy, we should be fielding the strongest team we can to try and go as far we can so all this B Team talk really does my head in. It's basically making excuses, like you say and it's a bit disrespectful towards the fans as well IMO because we are the ones still paying out to go and watch the games, we want to see us win games, not watch games where the manager basically doesn't give a toss whether its a win or loss because it's deemed a lower rated competition to the Champions League. It's still a trophy, competing against some damn good teams still because you never know who might end up dropping into it from the Champions League too!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #91: Jul 28, 2015 12:47:17 am
      But Suarez is a year in the past now, if after the amount of players signed and money spent, we still haven't found an effective signing to take his place then there really is no hope. Suarez is a one off player that doesn't come along all that often, so it's a case of making sure you identify a suitable player(s) to come in to not take his place as such because chances are that simply isn't going to happen, but to change us for the better compared to last season.

Trophy is a trophy, we should be fielding the strongest team we can to try and go as far we can so all this B Team talk really does my head in. It's basically making excuses, like you say and it's a bit disrespectful towards the fans as well IMO because we are the ones still paying out to go and watch the games, we want to see us win games and not basically not give a toss whether its a win or loss because it's deemed a lower rated competition to the Champions League. It's still a trophy, competing against some damn good teams still because you never know who might end up dropping into it from the Champions League too!

I get that, but I wouldn't adapt a win or F**k off approach.

Keeping an open mind heading into this one,
      although I do think this has been a better summer than last one.
      (Subject to change if we go about selling 4 or 5 players before the window closes. Terms and conditions apply)

Quick Reply