Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?

Read 39050 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?
      Reply #115: Aug 02, 2015 12:07:33 am
      I hate to be one of *those* people but I really do wonder how many of you sunshiners are true supporters. 

Don't even start this bullshit mate.

It won't end well.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #116: Aug 02, 2015 12:13:51 am
      If we do well this season then you won't have to put up with anything from me;

That's fantastic news Fed but can we at least start the season before you decide we'll be sh*t  :gt-happyup:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #117: Aug 02, 2015 12:23:01 am
      That's fantastic news Fed but can we at least start the season before you decide we'll be sh*t  :gt-happyup:

I don't know what's going to happen this season.

I didn't see us finishing second two seasons ago.  So anything can happen.

I think there is a lot to look forward to.  Gomez looks like a steal, Ibe is one of the most promising youngsters we've had in a while, I can't wait to see Can impose himself in midfield, etc etc.

I just don't know if it's going to be enough.  I don't know if it is enough to really improve us period, let alone to improve us enough that we'll finish above other teams that were already better than us and who themselves have improved

That's my worry.  Suppose hypothetically no other team were allowed to buy players this summer---no one but us.  Do you think that even if that were the case, that we have improved enough to now finish above Spurs, Arsenal, etc?  I don't think so.  And yet the fact is they're not waiting around for us.  They're getting better too.

On top of that, it was clear the last few months of last season that the players weren't playing for Rodgers.  That doesn't just go away.  They weren't doing what he told them, they didn't believe in the tactics, etc etc.  I don't see how you get their trust back once it's gone. 

But, stranger things have happened.  The problem I have with it is that we've spent so much money that even if we got rid of Rodgers we'd still be in deep sh*te.  Because FSG aren't going to have endless amounts of money to spend every transfer window.  So the consequences will go on much longer than just this season if we don't do well.

I don't see how that doesn't worry any of you.

Could it go well---sure!  anything is possible. 

But it's not looking likely.  Happy to be proved wrong though.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #118: Aug 02, 2015 12:28:17 am
      Feds only definition of doing well though is winning a quadruple. Anything less and it's a travesty :D

How bizarre that we had a disastrous last season, little to suggest anything is going to change this season, and instead of addressing your criticism where it SHOULD be addressed, i.e., Rodgers, the owners, the committee etc, you decide to have a go at... me.

you do realize it's not *my* fault that we were absolutely sh*te last season, don't you?

If we do well this season then you won't have to put up with anything from me; but yes, if we are utter rubbish again with that fraud Rodgers taking our club deeper and deeper into midtable mediocrity, yes, you will have to put up with a lot.  Because I don't sit there twiddling my thumbs thinking "oh well, we'll get it right next season."

but go on and stick your head in the sand if you'd like.

I hate to be one of *those* people but I really do wonder how many of you sunshiners are true supporters.  How on earth can you be so passive and apathetic while you see our best players ditching the club, a continual stream of mediocre mid-table signings, a feckless manager and owners who couldn't care less?

how on earth does that NOT bother you people?! 

Whilst in previous windows we have signed big groups of mediocre players, I don't think that applies to this transfer window. The players we've brought in may not be world beaters but they're definite upgrades on what we've had in the past year or so. Clyne is lightyears ahead of Johnson, Milner is better than the current Gerrard, Benteke is better than Lambert, Ings is better than Borini, Origi is a better suit to our team than Balotelli and Firmino could be better than Sterling. We have a stronger team but it obviously still doesn't guarantee us anything.

We're no worse off now than when we had Woy at the helm or when we finished 6th/7th under Kenny (albeit with a trophy). Chill out and enjoy the start to the season. You never know, you may be surprised! ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #119: Aug 02, 2015 12:31:17 am
      how on earth does that NOT bother you people?! 

See there's your problem Fed, you apparently don't understand that not all people react the same to being "bothered".

Take me for example...I've been through a few really tough times in my life...like losing people that were really close to me way before they should have ever been lost...so while I would claim to be a highly passionate supporter, at the end of the day, when we lose a game or we don't win a title or a trophy, while I'm upset, down in the dumps, angry and frustrated....my perspective on real emotional loss keeps me from acting like a gurgling little girl or a sour malcontent. I understand that the sun will rise again, and whether I like the manager or players or the owners or whomever...we still have a chance to make another go of it, to turn things around and go again. Yes, I suppose if I wanted to be severely negative I could take the path of you and littleface (and a few others) and moan, bi*ch and complain, all the while pissing off most everyone else on the forum that has some hope.

I mean I really don't know what you are trying to accomplish...if you get everyone on the same "page" as yourself will that make you feel better personally? Is that what it is? Or do you hope that it creates some sort of groundswell of negative support that will force the owners to give up, cash in and sell to someone that will listen to you, take your advice and hire the manager you want and the players you would like to have?

I mean if you know how it all should work, maybe you should get off the forum, work harder in life, become really successful, then you can buy the club and you can run it the way you want to?

Seems really silly to take the time to logon to a forum where there are tons of good people to have some good banter with and then to use that time to just mutter and mope and try to bring everyone else down to your pitifully sad level.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #120: Aug 02, 2015 12:38:17 am
      I don't know what's going to happen this season.

I didn't see us finishing second two seasons ago.  So anything can happen.

I think there is a lot to look forward to.  Gomez looks like a steal, Ibe is one of the most promising youngsters we've had in a while, I can't wait to see Can impose himself in midfield, etc etc.

I just don't know if it's going to be enough.  I don't know if it is enough to really improve us period, let alone to improve us enough that we'll finish above other teams that were already better than us and who themselves have improved

That's my worry.  Suppose hypothetically no other team were allowed to buy players this summer---no one but us.  Do you think that even if that were the case, that we have improved enough to now finish above Spurs, Arsenal, etc?  I don't think so.  And yet the fact is they're not waiting around for us.  They're getting better too.

On top of that, it was clear the last few months of last season that the players weren't playing for Rodgers.  That doesn't just go away.  They weren't doing what he told them, they didn't believe in the tactics, etc etc.  I don't see how you get their trust back once it's gone. 

But, stranger things have happened.  The problem I have with it is that we've spent so much money that even if we got rid of Rodgers we'd still be in deep sh*te.  Because FSG aren't going to have endless amounts of money to spend every transfer window.  So the consequences will go on much longer than just this season if we don't do well.

I don't see how that doesn't worry any of you.

Could it go well---sure!  anything is possible. 

But it's not looking likely.  Happy to be proved wrong though.

What's the point in hypotheticals though, it's fiction and make believe.  So what if they started at a higher point than us because as you say nobody foresaw what happened in 13/14 so whose to say it won't or can't happen again?  I don't understand what there is to gain from worrying about things that might never happen but some seem determined to play down everything we do at the same time as bigging up what others do.  It's defeatest in the extreme.

We all have to play 38 games to play, it'll no doubt be a rollercoaster ride but at least get on board and enjoy it, rather than give up before a ball's been kicked.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #121: Aug 02, 2015 01:14:03 am
      Whilst in previous windows we have signed big groups of mediocre players, I don't think that applies to this transfer window.

That's exactly what was said last summer.  Lallana was supposed to be a match winner, Lovren a rock in defence, Moreno a young and talented left-back, all bullshit. 

The players we've brought in may not be world beaters but they're definite upgrades on what we've had in the past year or so.

So your definition of good buys is that they are at least better than the sh*te we had last season.  Ok.  Again, if your 20 stone wife loses 5 stone, sure, she's lost some weight, but you've still got a whale for a wife.

We're no worse off now than when we had Woy at the helm

forgive me if I have slightly higher expectations for our club, the most successful in English footballing history, than "well we're at least better than we were under Hodgson."

I mean honestly mate.  I have nothing against you or anyone else here.  But just look at the way you see things.  As recently as 2009 we were challenging EVERY SEASON for the title.  Anything less than CL qualification was a total disaster.

Now we have this midtable mindset of "well it could be worse" and "let's make some progress at least."
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #122: Aug 02, 2015 01:27:32 am
      See there's your problem Fed, you apparently don't understand that not all people react the same to being "bothered".  Take me for example...I've been through a few really tough times in my life...like losing people that were really close to me way before they should have ever been lost...so while I would claim to be a highly passionate supporter, at the end of the day, when we lose a game or we don't win a title or a trophy, while I'm upset, down in the dumps, angry and frustrated....my perspective on real emotional loss keeps me from acting like a gurgling little girl or a sour malcontent.

Look, obviously, relatively speaking, no matter how bad the situation at the club gets, even if we got relegated or something, it's not ever going to be more important than the people around us, the people we love.  I've been through some rough times too, times where it got so bad that I didn't even watch our games, let alone care about them---it all seemed irrelevant.

I don't agree with Shankly, for example, that football is "much more important" than life or death.  No, it's not.  Football, for us supporters, is just a distraction, a passion, a hobby, but more important than life and death?  No.

But as far as football goes, this is very important to me.  I work for BP and have been working around the world for the last few years (fortunately going back home soon).  But for a few years, for example, I was assigned to one of our offices in Mexico.  So our games were on very early in the morning, sometimes at 5 am or something.  And if we lost the game, it would literally ruin my morning and put me in a bad mood for the day.  now of course, if my girlfriend or something were in a car accident the same day, I would instantly forget about the football.  But putting aside the MOST important things in life---our family, love, being personally fulfilled---then yes, supporting a club can have a very important role in your life.

And I'm tired of watching us slowly turn into mid-table club, by people who should be doing better.  I don't and likely will never have the money to buy the club.  But what does that mean?  we shouldn't have higher expectations unless we are the club's owners?!  that doesn't make much sense.  The supporters ARE the core of the club.  And the club is synonymous with winning.  And when we don't win, we at the very least don't accept it.  We don't sit there twiddling our thumbs when we're down 5-0 in the first half against Stoke.  That's not acceptable. 

What I'm saying is---football isn't more important than the most important things.  Having a baby.  Getting married.  Taking care of your parents.  These are all at the top and always will be.

But as regards everything else, it can indeed be something really important for a lot of people.  It is for me. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #123: Aug 02, 2015 01:53:27 am
      Look, obviously, relatively speaking, no matter how bad the situation at the club gets, even if we got relegated or something, it's not ever going to be more important than the people around us, the people we love.  I've been through some rough times too, times where it got so bad that I didn't even watch our games, let alone care about them---it all seemed irrelevant.

I don't agree with Shankly, for example, that football is "much more important" than life or death.  No, it's not.  Football, for us supporters, is just a distraction, a passion, a hobby, but more important than life and death?  No.

But as far as football goes, this is very important to me.  I work for BP and have been working around the world for the last few years (fortunately going back home soon).  But for a few years, for example, I was assigned to one of our offices in Mexico.  So our games were on very early in the morning, sometimes at 5 am or something.  And if we lost the game, it would literally ruin my morning and put me in a bad mood for the day.  now of course, if my girlfriend or something were in a car accident the same day, I would instantly forget about the football.  But putting aside the MOST important things in life---our family, love, being personally fulfilled---then yes, supporting a club can have a very important role in your life.

And I'm tired of watching us slowly turn into mid-table club, by people who should be doing better.  I don't and likely will never have the money to buy the club.  But what does that mean?  we shouldn't have higher expectations unless we are the club's owners?!  that doesn't make much sense.  The supporters ARE the core of the club.  And the club is synonymous with winning.  And when we don't win, we at the very least don't accept it.  We don't sit there twiddling our thumbs when we're down 5-0 in the first half against Stoke.  That's not acceptable. 

What I'm saying is---football isn't more important than the most important things.  Having a baby.  Getting married.  Taking care of your parents.  These are all at the top and always will be.

But as regards everything else, it can indeed be something really important for a lot of people.  It is for me. 

See, this is a good post, heartfelt (as far as I can tell) and intelligent and simply, well stated. I don't know why you can't include this level headedness with your posts concerning the club. I completely agree with everything you've said in this post which tells me that we aren't that far apart, it really does come down to optimism and hope. I tend to always look at the season with optimism (maybe misguided I'll grant you) until there's no room for it anymore and yes, it can ruin my day if we lose (because the games are on here early for me), but I just can't force myself to be so sour on things, even if I don't agree with how things are going.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #124: Aug 02, 2015 01:57:37 am

Top post Fed, nail on the head.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #125: Aug 02, 2015 03:28:29 am

You know Fed, I don't think anyone who has been here awhile thinks you are a bad person or unintelligent; you come up with some good banter, opinon's and some fantastic posts like the one above.

You get stick on here because you spam post stuff about Allen..or Hendo..or now its Moreno?...you don't have to go into every thread bitching and moaning about every last thing...it gets really old for many.

I like to come on here and read some news, read others opinions and just try to relax and enjoy a little.

Last thing anyone needs on here is to have to read whining constantly before the season has even kicked off.

We have littlefuck and a few other whoppers on here that are only here for the wind up..you've been around here long enough man; give your fellow posters a break sometimes.

If we all wanted to be depressed every waking moment we could all be with Corbally on Twitter; please stop trying to be Corbally MKII; as sometimes it really looks like you enjoy dragging us all down.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #126: Aug 02, 2015 09:20:48 am
      All Fed wants is success for the club as any supporter would want, watch this space if we get away to a good start next week the forum will be a happy place to be. If we don't get away to a good start then we will see how much results matter to people who live for Liverpool to be successful.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #127: Aug 02, 2015 09:29:57 am
      Like the topic says, Brendan can have no excuses, at all this season. Hoping for a vastly improved performance on the pitch, with a trophy to show at the end of the season.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #128: Aug 02, 2015 10:35:22 am
      I want our team to succeed  like any other  LFC  fan .But to succeed we  have to improve on some aspects of our game.

1.our defence have to improve
      2.we have to get maximum points when we  can.......we can't be  struggling to get  maximum points when we play against teams  like     C   Palace  at home.

Me  as a fan   can   only  support the team  in   good   and   bad    times.BR   is   there    to   make    changes  he  have assemble    his   team for   for past seasons and this one.I   hope     he wil  give    us    good   results.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #129: Aug 03, 2015 11:54:51 am
      He's got the players he wanted now apart from Lucas and Skrtel, hendo its a brand new squad from when he took over so its "his" team.

Now pick a style of play and set up and stick with it, dont change at the first defeat and keep chopping and changing the back line. Rotate the team yes in the cup games and early Europa games but dont change the leauage team at all unless injury risk is there or suspention. Keep Sturridge out of ALL cup games and dont even register him for Europa this season he should only play league games this season if when he comes back he's injury free for the rest of the season then we get a fully fit DS week in week out allowing recovery so next season if we get CL he's worldclass again.

Just want to see an identiy to our team and some grit and determination this season and if we beat all the dross below us home and away we will get top 4, beating last seasons top 4 teams is not a concern just beat all the teams below us no draws with any of them and we will get top 4.
      coxxy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #130: Aug 04, 2015 09:27:39 pm
      I am worried about defence, should have kept dagger for sure. I hope Llori gets a go to show what he can do. I have been shortlisted to the last 3 for the post on the Supporters Committee as Season Ticket Holder in Kop for 24 years, would really appreciate your votes: cheers, coxxy/paul wilcox.

www.liverpoolfc.com/fans/lfcsc-voting-for-vacant-positions
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #131: Aug 04, 2015 11:23:34 pm
      I am worried about defence, should have kept dagger for sure. I hope Llori gets a go to show what he can do. I have been shortlisted to the last 3 for the post on the Supporters Committee as Season Ticket Holder in Kop for 24 years, would really appreciate your votes: cheers, coxxy/paul wilcox.

www.liverpoolfc.com/fans/lfcsc-voting-for-vacant-positions

Saying we should have kept a player, who has openly admitted he couldn't cope with Premier League any more.  Not sure if that's a vote winner, for me.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #132: Aug 05, 2015 02:58:13 am
      i hate it when people say Llori
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #133: Aug 05, 2015 06:49:01 am
      Aye......

;)
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #134: Aug 05, 2015 03:42:57 pm
      He's got his team and has the backing so this season we should see the real Breandan Rogers and not the imposter of 2013/14 season. I hope he is a success as I admire his love and passion for the club, but if he continues to adore Lovren rather than accept Sakho is better then he's a dead man walking. I just hope is media crap and he is going to go with Sakho.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #135: Aug 05, 2015 08:36:33 pm
      I agree with the OP that there are no excuses this time for Brendan.
      I don't agree that the judgement on him will come at the end of the season.

Given the way we folded at the end of last season, there is obviously a big question as to whether Brendan has lost the confidence of ( or ability to motivate) the players. Thats a question that has to be answered early in the season.

If we start this season like we finished the last then the owners shouldnt hang about, they should remove him quickly and get in Klopp.
      It is a tough start to the season, so I'm not saying we have to have a fantastic run of wins. Just that we need to show the fight and grit that deserted us last season. We need to be competitive, purposeful in our play and make sure every opponent knows they've been in a serious game. That should never be too much to ask of a LFC team, but after last season it is now an absolute must to see it quickly. I do not want to be sitting waiting another whole season for it to turn up.

If we see it, then we should stick by Brendan, even if the results are a bit indifferent ( bearing in mind the tough fixtures). If we dont see it, I won't be saying "lets wait til the end of the season", and if we are honest I don't think too many on here will either, whatever people are saying right now.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #136: Aug 06, 2015 09:02:40 pm
      To me, doesn't matter whether we have easy games at the beginning of the season or the opposite, it is still 38 games comes May next year. So, BR has to perform, I'll give him till X'mas to show that he deserves to stay. 
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #137: Aug 09, 2015 12:39:06 pm
      Just read your post history. You have f**k all constructive to say do you? What an absolute roaster.

What is it with this forum attracting complete bollocksmiths like yourself?

Thank you for your insightful , constructive post.

Quick Reply