Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Adelaide United 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Hurrah

Read 20445 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Adelaide United V Liverpool: Pre & Live Match Thread 10:30am Uk time
      Reply #69: Jul 20, 2015 12:45:45 pm
      Well I'm not really sure what to make of that game tbh.  There were some good points and plenty not so good.

Ibe worries me.  He seems like he's got all the tools in the box to make an excellent player but he's still making the same mistakes as he was at 16/17.  He's got pace to burn but continually runs into dead ends, he rarely gets his head up to see what's around him, his decision making really hasn't improved over the last couple of seasons and that's what's always let him down.  Let's hope he gets to work on these issues with Pep and he can sort it out because otherwise he's not going to step up to that next level and really achieve his potential.

I was paying particular attention to Moreno when he came and he did fine.  His defending was solid, he found his man with the pass out, got up and down the line well and got some decent crosses in.  Lallana though needs to learn not to hug the line when he (Moreno) has the ball, there was a couple of times when he was in full flow and had to put the breaks on because Adam was directly in front of him.  The fbs are supposed to overlap Adam, that means you have to come inside to give them space.

Also why oh why when we're attacking does everyone queue up on the 18 yards box.  Everything is so congested there, spread out, create space, move out the way, it pulls defenders out of position leaving the gaps we need to score.

Anyway, it's just pre season and everyone's getting up to speed and working out where they fit in.  Glad Ings got his goal, he can relax now and play his natural game.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #70: Jul 20, 2015 12:47:27 pm
      But Fed wants us to get rid of Moreno and use Gomez.

Ridiculous thinking.

How anyone can be taken seriously when they suggest that Gomez be given the left back slot on the basis of two admittedly lightweight friendlies is beyond me.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #71: Jul 20, 2015 12:50:57 pm
      Good game.

Milner - good signing. Think he could we become invaluable over the course of the season.

Clyne - good signing. Nice assist for Ings.

Gomez - good signing. This kid has to be knocking on the front door for LB.

Ings - good signing IMO. From what I have seen of him he will certainly be a very useful player for us. Has a bit of pace about him, works his bollocks off and took his goal.

Origi - the only disappointment for me so far in pre-season from our new signings.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #72: Jul 20, 2015 12:55:58 pm
      Good game.

Milner - good signing. Think he could we become invaluable over the course of the season.

Ings - good signing IMO. From what I have seen of him he will certainly be a very useful player for us. Has a bit of pace about him, works his bollocks off and took his goal.

Origi - the only disappointment for me so far in pre-season from our new signings.

other than Gomez, I said this more or less before a ball was kicked... I think this will sum up thier liverpool careers
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #73: Jul 20, 2015 01:05:58 pm
      About the only negative was Origi and Ibe (odd to say that about Ibe seeing as he had so much ball and so many runs)

Origi is too flat footed and doesn't react quick enough. A few times he was caught napping so to speak.

Ibe constantly runs into dead ends and his decision making is lacking.

Everyone else did good, especially Moreno and Gomez

Still early days though
      LFCexiled
      Reply #74: Jul 20, 2015 01:40:58 pm
      About the only negative was Origi and Ibe (odd to say that about Ibe seeing as he had so much ball and so many runs)

I didn't see the match as some of us have to work, tut. ;)

According to Pearce at the echo Ibe was MOTM.

Jordon Ibe demonstrated why Liverpool were prepared to sell Raheem Sterling as Brendan Rodgers' side clinched a 2-0 victory over Adelaide United.

The 19-year-old winger delivered a man of the match display to delight the 53,008-strong crowd at the Adelaide Oval.

Ibe created the opening goal for James Milner and Danny Ings doubled the Reds' tally late on with his first goal for the club.

Kop legend Steven Gerrard has backed Ibe to fill the boots of Sterling, who joined Manchester City in a £49million deal, and the teenager showcased that exciting potential.

Ibe caused the A-League outfit problems throughout as the Reds made it three wins out of three on tour.

Liverpool's first ever visit to South Australia certainly captured the public's imagination with the historic sporting venue transformed into a sea of red.

There was a minute's applause for the 96 before kick-off which was followed by a passionate rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone.

Dejan Lovren and Joe Allen both returned to action after sitting out the friendly win over Brisbane Roar three days earlier.

The Reds started brightly with Joe Gomez carrying on where he left off in Queensland as he impressed once again at left-back.

The teenager's cross just eluded Divock Origi with Ibe's shot then deflected behind.

Origi led the line with Ibe on the right and Lallana on the opposite flank with Allen, Jordan Henderson and Milner forming a central midfield trio in a 4-3-3 formation.

Football - Adelaide United v Liverpool - Pre Season Friendly - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, Australia - 20/7/15 Liverpool's James Milner celebrates scoring their first goal with Jordan Henderson
      Action Images via Reuters / Jason O'Brien
      Liverpool dominated the first half but it brought back memories of last season as they lacked a spark in the final third.

Belgium international Origi did well to turn away from his marker but couldn't find the finish as he blazed over.

Nathaniel Clyne's lofted pass picking out Henderson's run. However, Eugene Galekovic was out quickly to save at his feet.

Midway through the first half Henderson and Allen combined well with the Welshman surging forward. His incisive pass released Origi but his weak shot was easy for Galekovic.

Ibe's pace fashioned a chance on the edge of the box but again Galekovic wasn't seriously tested. Seven minutes before the break Lallana teed up Milner, whose 20-yarder was parried to safety.

Milner saw another effort deflected into the path of Origi but under pressure the young frontman couldn't find the finish.

Alberto Moreno came on for the second half to make his pre-season bow after missing the opening two tour matches due to injury with Gomez the player to make way.

IN PICS: Liverpool fans take over Adelaide

Liverpool remained firmly in the ascendancy but struggled to make it count.

Dejan Lovren headed down and over the bar after meeting Henderson's corner, while Ibe's low drive flew just past the far post.

Adelaide couldn't contain Ibe, who came in for some rough treatment off the hosts.

Just before the hour mark Lallana was thwarted by Galekovic but the pressure finally paid off in the 68 minute.

Ibe delivered an enticing cross and Milner diverted it into the bottom corner.

Danny Ings replaced Origi and United briefly threatened to equalise with Tarek Elrich firing narrowly wide.

Milner made way for Lucas Leiva and Lazar Markovic came on for Allen.

Two minutes from time victory was secured. Clyne's pass released Ings and the former Burnley striker went around the keeper before producing a composed finish.

Liverpool: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Gomez (Moreno 45), Allen (Markovic 84), Henderson, Milner (Lucas 73), Ibe, Lallana, Origi (Ings 68)
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #75: Jul 20, 2015 01:53:58 pm
      Shocking performence again. No creativity what so ever. Hopefully Fimino en Coutinho can provide that. But it's no use when nobody makes runs...

not just those 2 but we also have Sturridge and Benteke to come in...  so its not all doom and gloom
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #76: Jul 20, 2015 01:58:53 pm

Origi is too flat footed and doesn't react quick enough. A few times he was caught napping so to speak.

Ibe constantly runs into dead ends and his decision making is lacking.

Everyone else did good, especially Moreno and Gomez

Still early days though

Ibe still bagged an assist and got MOTM so if that was a sub par performance it's actually very encouraging in my book.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #77: Jul 20, 2015 02:12:56 pm
      Ibe still bagged an assist and got MOTM so if that was a sub par performance it's actually very encouraging in my book.

I agree.. Thought Ibe played well. The fact he is getting in positions to then get it wrong is encouraging

He could be a big player this season as could Gomez
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Adelaide United 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Hurrah
      Reply #78: Jul 20, 2015 02:44:42 pm
      not just those 2 but we also have Sturridge and Benteke to come in...  so its not all doom and gloom

And also Can
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #79: Jul 20, 2015 02:47:36 pm
      Ibe was motm, Ibe did cause more problems for the opposition than anyone else

Ibe still made numerous poor decisions and still ran into dead ends and still lacked in the final ball department.

I never said he was rubbish, I just highlighted some negatives about his game which seemingly haven't gone away for about 3 seasons now.

Do I think it's an issue, that Ibe isn't going to make it? Not at all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #80: Jul 20, 2015 03:02:14 pm
      Good game.

I have seen enough in Origi's play to think he will be a good player mate. He's a bit raw but he isn't frightened of taking people on and pacy enough to cause defences problems.

I think your Heskey comparison in the other thread has some merit... just hope he scores more. Certainly think he will eventually prove a better signing than Ings, who looks like a very hard working likable player, but in the Borini mold, needs a lot of chances to get a goal. (I know he scored today)   
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #81: Jul 20, 2015 03:23:23 pm
      Don't think I would ever call a pre-season game shocking, unless we were getting pumped by 5 or 6 goals.

Im not even watching it, but it's pre season, and the 3rd game in which we have done a lot of travelling to get to it.

Chill ma man, chill. ;D.

Is right mate, the travel schedule is mad so the effect on the players cannot be overstated. These are no more than warm ups.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #82: Jul 20, 2015 03:27:52 pm
      Is right mate, the travel schedule is mad so the effect on the players cannot be overstated. These are no more than warm ups.

The Game in norway a week on saturday will be more like the team who will start -v- stoke, Id be worried if we were beaten badly in that game.

We have won all 3 pre-season games so far, quite comfertably, without arguably 4 of our best players even taking part.

So kudos to all of the squad down under, doing very well considering all the travelling.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #83: Jul 20, 2015 03:36:33 pm
      The Game in norway a week on saturday will be more like the team who will start -v- stoke, Id be worried if we were beaten badly in that game.

We have won all 3 pre-season games so far, quite comfertably, without arguably 4 of our best players even taking part.

So kudos to all of the squad down under, doing very well considering all the travelling.

It's to be hoped the lads get to have deserved rest before the Norway game, that will be a more testing game.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #84: Jul 20, 2015 04:02:44 pm
      It's to be hoped the lads get to have deserved rest before the Norway game, that will be a more testing game.

tbf. There is a full week after normay game b4 stoke, so they should be well rested.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #85: Jul 20, 2015 04:44:20 pm
      Didn't catch this but what was the formation being played today?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #86: Jul 20, 2015 04:46:33 pm
      I'll also be there Crouchie, fancy meeting up?

Frizz, mate, gutted i didnt see this earlier. Only saw your post while at the match. Would have loved to meet you.

As for the match, it was dull and dead until Ings came on. Not saying he changed the side or anything but it was around then we livened up.

Origi was crap and missed a couple sitters. Ibe was great again and Milner was industrious, whilst Danny was busy when he came on.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #87: Jul 20, 2015 04:58:57 pm
      Didn't catch this but what was the formation being played today?

In the first half it was 4-3-3, not sure about the second half but Brendan could have stuck with it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #88: Jul 20, 2015 09:22:43 pm
      Another win and that is a good habit to get into for the season ahead. What concerns me is we seem to play the ball out from the back the same way as we did last season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #89: Jul 20, 2015 10:54:36 pm
      Debs and Rushie being a bit tough on Ibe there, I don't recall him running into too many dead ends out there today? In fact he took the ball inside on a few occasions and did a great job setting up his full back. I agree we need to see more end product, in particular his finishing but whatever weaknesses he may have they are covered up by the fact he is probably the only player we have in the squad now  with the bravery and ability to run the length of the pitch beating players.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #90: Jul 21, 2015 12:12:41 am
      Another win and that is a good habit to get into for the season ahead. What concerns me is we seem to play the ball out from the back the same way as we did last season.

Yeah agree Billy.

Was thinking to myself the whole game we need someone more creative and assertive than Allen at the base of midfield to allow the other two midfielders to push on, and we clearly need a striker. Someone to be a focal point of our attack.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #91: Jul 21, 2015 12:37:45 am
      WE should have Lucas anchoring midfield without any question. He is the only one in this team who even looks tactically sound and he can launch attacks.
      The pace argument just doesn't wash for me. REading the game gives a good player a yard every time anyway.

Quick Reply