Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

2015-2016 Formation

Read 37089 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      2015-2016 Formation
      Jul 19, 2015 11:32:31 am
      Are we now actually spoilt for choice?

Assuming all fit, he chooses Gomez over Moreno, and goes with a diamond formation:

Left out

Can, Ibe, Ings, Origi, Moreno

Those are the ones I can remember

Choose your starting XI: here

EDIT: Yup! Totally forgot about Lallana!
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2015 01:56:05 pm by Rush »
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: 2015-2016 Formation
      Reply #1: Jul 19, 2015 11:42:44 am
      Think this is going to be interesting to watch this year. With the new backroom staff, I think Rodgers is trying to make us a little more unpredictable in terms of setup.

I can see him rotating between the diamond, as above, and a 4-2-3-1. With Sturridge and Benteke fit you'd probably have to play a diamond to get the best out of all the players, but I wouldn't play Firmino deeper than Coutinho, and playing them both together in a diamond midfield looks weak defensively. Those two "wide" midfielders in the diamond need to be box to box, defensive and attacking. Instead, I think you have to use Milner and Henderson, with Lucas/Can/new DM as the holding player. Then the problem becomes who do you play out of Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge and Benteke. Only three out of them can play.

I reckon first game of the season we'll see Firmino playing up front with Benteke, Coutinho in behind. Will be really interesting to see what we go for !!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Jul 19, 2015 11:45:23 am
      Then the problem becomes who do you play out of Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge and Benteke. Only three out of them can play.

Won't be a problem until the day they are all fit at the same time!

;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jul 19, 2015 11:48:11 am

Off topic, but no local lads, no one who has come thought the ranks.
      Sad times for Liverpool, sad times for football.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Jul 19, 2015 11:53:14 am
      Assuming Benteke is the last signing and sturridge not back until October

MIgnolet

Clyne skrtel Sakho Illori

Hendo Can Milner

Coutinho.     Firminio

Benteke
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: Jul 19, 2015 12:02:48 pm
      Won't be a problem until the day they are all fit at the same time!

;)

Absolutely mate, just thinking ahead down the line (and hoping that Studge is going to be fit for a significant part of the season!)

Anyone reckon we'll still see the 3 at the back? Let's see how that could look

Migs
            Can     Skrtel    Sakho
      Clyne                         Moreno
                 Hendo   Milner
               Firmino     Coutinho
                     Benteke
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Jul 19, 2015 12:18:17 pm

I'm going to hold back on Sturridge until he actually stays fit for a decent period of time.

The alternate would be to slot Can into Centre Back again and push the wing backs on
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #7: Jul 19, 2015 01:02:50 pm

I'm going to hold back on Sturridge until he actually stays fit for a decent period of time.

The alternate would be to slot Can into Centre Back again and push the wing backs on

We're same bar left back. I went Illori searing pace and good with ball (Gomez likewise) but I personally want to see Illori get a go
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #8: Jul 19, 2015 01:20:40 pm
      We're same bar left back. I went Illori searing pace and good with ball (Gomez likewise) but I personally want to see Illori get a go

I was thinking about Illori too! However went for Gomez just because I want to see Illori in a red shirt before I go putting him in the team.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #9: Jul 19, 2015 01:37:46 pm
      I was thinking about Illori too! However went for Gomez just because I want to see Illori in a red shirt before I go putting him in the team.

And ideally a year or 2 from now they form a boss central defensive partnership
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #10: Jul 19, 2015 01:41:35 pm
      And ideally a year or 2 from now they form a boss central defensive partnership

Fingers crossed mate
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #11: Jul 19, 2015 01:48:06 pm
      After looking through the above posts and formations, I think we are desperate for a midfield tough tackling defence minded midfielder.

William Carvalho fits the bill
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #12: Jul 19, 2015 01:51:34 pm
      Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ96 3h3 hours ago

Rodgers: Our defensive organisation is crucial to let our attacking players flourish.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Jul 19, 2015 01:51:36 pm
      After looking through the above posts and formations, I think we are desperate for a midfield tough tackling defence minded midfielder.

William Carvalho fits the bill

Carvalho's broken hig leg mate or so I heard and despite a lot of people saying we need a DM, I can't ever see us getting one whilst Brendan's manager.

Looking at our squad now, we have so many options for so many different variations which is great to see.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Jul 19, 2015 01:54:00 pm
      Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ96 3h3 hours ago

Rodgers: Our defensive organisation is crucial to let our attacking players flourish.

Well why does he seem to pay no attention to sorting that organisation out? It's the same every season.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #15: Jul 19, 2015 01:55:31 pm
      Well why does he seem to pay no attention to sorting that organisation out? It's the same every season.
      Clyne, Gomez not do it for you? I think our main problem last year was playing with no genuine fullbacks
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #16: Jul 19, 2015 02:08:00 pm
      Carvalho's broken hig leg mate or so I heard and despite a lot of people saying we need a DM, I can't ever see us getting one whilst Brendan's manager.

We are still linked with Illarramandi debs that would sort out the DM role.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Jul 19, 2015 02:16:11 pm
      We are still linked with Illarramandi debs that would sort out the DM role.

And I'd welcome him with open arms but isn't he more of a defensive CM than a DM even though he patrols the area normally occupied by a DM?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #18: Jul 19, 2015 02:24:32 pm
      And I'd welcome him with open arms but isn't he more of a defensive CM than a DM even though he patrols the area normally occupied by a DM?

Yup his best role is the deep lying playmaker role but he tackles well and has good awareness similar to Lucas.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Jul 19, 2015 02:34:41 pm
      Yup his best role is the deep lying playmaker role but he tackles well and has good awareness similar to Lucas.

Then I think that's more what Brendan wants rather than a destroyer type mate so let's hope we get the required funds from our outgoing players to get him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #20: Jul 19, 2015 02:52:49 pm
      Clyne, Gomez not do it for you? I think our main problem last year was playing with no genuine fullbacks

Gomez is a kid mate so not much can be expected of him just yet. My problem also doesn't lie with the right back position. It's the lack of communication  between the centre backs, the marking and left back which poses the biggest problem to us IMO.

The defence can have all the coaching in the world, but eventually it is down to the players, Skrtel, Sakho and Lovren are professional experienced players and should be able to sort it out amongst themselves. Having said that, I think the premiership is the hardest league to defend in so you are never going to be rock solid all the time.

I know it's down to the players but isn't Brendan responsible for that? Our third and fourth choice centre backs are Lovren and Toure. Skrtel does more hand communication than verbal communication and he drops far too deep - even into the 6 yard box - when we're defending.

I'm sure this will all come next summer though when Toure's contract is up.

Having the following team going into next summer will be a very good base:

Mignolet

Clyne ....... Sakho ........

Hendo Illarra Milner

Firmino Coutinho

Benteke

A new left back and a key centre back to take Skrtel's place (probably become more of a squad player) will give us a very good foundation.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #21: Jul 19, 2015 03:01:02 pm
      It's hard to make a formation to fit all the players because of our strange transfers. Where will Lallana, Markovic or Ibe will fit in if we play without wings ? Henderson can't play as a DM, it will spell disaster.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #22: Jul 19, 2015 03:10:56 pm
      It's hard to make a formation to fit all the players because of our strange transfers. Where will Lallana, Markovic or Ibe will fit in if we play without wings ? Henderson can't play as a DM, it will spell disaster.

Not the worst problem to have though. Talent on the bench is a far cry from a few years ago.

Quick Reply