Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2015-2016 Formation

Read 36930 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: 2015-2016 Formation
      Reply #115: Jul 23, 2015 09:40:02 pm

Really, really does. One could say mouthwateringly boss.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #116: Jul 23, 2015 09:42:51 pm

Lots of if's but there was a time when we had few choices..not the case anymore.

If Studge could come back any way/shape/form and a couple of our others guys continue to improve (Can/Lallana/Ibe) we could go places.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #117: Jul 23, 2015 09:49:20 pm
      federer! I am curious to see your starting 11!!! How would you like to see us play and what formation?!

Fed's side.

No keeper.

Sakho on his own at the back.

Coutinho on his own in midfield and maybe Firmino if he decides he's good enough.

No one up front unless Danny is fit.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #118: Jul 23, 2015 09:53:52 pm
      Fed's side.

No keeper.

Sakho on his own at the back.

Coutinho on his own in midfield and maybe Firmino if he decides he's good enough.

No one up front unless Danny is fit.

And wearing retro kits because the new ones are sh*t
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #119: Jul 23, 2015 09:57:06 pm

Say what you want just keep your lips sealed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsd7y5YbZw
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #120: Jul 23, 2015 10:13:11 pm
      for me personally, can has to be in the midfield in starting 11, he has the engine to be a great midfielder. had a good u21 euro aswell. of all our new signings and old players, i think this year will be can's year. for now its just a opinion, but i will bet money that it will be fact looking back at the end of the season.
      really hope that br thinks in the same lines as me.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #121: Jul 23, 2015 10:21:05 pm
      federer! I am curious to see your starting 11!!! How would you like to see us play and what formation?!

Based on our current signings up until this point?

Mignolet
      Clyne Skrtel Sakho Gomez
      Can Milner
      Coutinho
      Ibe Sturridge Firmino

that's never going to happen though as we've annointed that mediocre headless chicken Henderson our captain and thus he'll always be starting.

Even that team above, I don't think is ever going to challenge for a title.  Not many of them are good enough, simple as.  I would go with this as the skeleton for the team going forward:

new keeper
      Clyne newCB Sakho newLB
      Can newCM
      Coutinho
      Ibe topstriker Firmino
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #122: Jul 23, 2015 10:32:58 pm
      for me personally, can has to be in the midfield in starting 11, he has the engine to be a great midfielder. had a good u21 euro aswell.

I agree.  Can should be the first midfielder on the teamsheet.  Build the midfield around him.  He's the future.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #123: Jul 23, 2015 10:48:03 pm
      I agree.  Can should be the first midfielder on the teamsheet.  Build the midfield around him.  He's the future.

Can as a CM, sure, I can see it, but DM, still not seeing it & Lucas is still superior in my opinion. Still think Hendo & Milner are better as CM too.

I think Can can be a monster of a CB though, especially next to Sakho :D
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #124: Jul 23, 2015 10:54:13 pm
      Can is the most talented midfielder we have.  Miles ahead of Henderson.  Definitely better than Milner.

I still think he needs to lose a stone if he wants to move up to the next level of his game, but even as is he's fantastic.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #125: Jul 23, 2015 10:57:31 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #126: Jul 23, 2015 11:11:42 pm
      that's never going to happen though as we've annointed that mediocre headless chicken Henderson our captain and thus he'll always be starting.

Not going to lie, this comment made me laugh purely because everybody knows how much you dislike Henderson :D

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #127: Jul 23, 2015 11:19:18 pm
      Not going to lie, this comment made me laugh purely because everybody knows how much you dislike Henderson :D

Well this is why I had such a huge problem with him being named captain.

First of all my own personal belief is that he's hugely overrated and has only had about 6 consistent months of top football since being here (from Christmas of 2013 to the end of the 2013/14 season).  I don't even think he's good enough to be at the club, let alone captain of it.  Some might say that's harsh; but even his most ardent supporters would have to admit that he's not a world-beater, and he goes missing way too often.  Just go look at his thread and read back throughout the season to see how many people were questioning why he was invisible during some of our biggest games. 

The issue I have is that as captain, he's practically guaranteed a starting position for the rest of his career with us.  Are you telling me that he is not only a top player, but in fact he is SO good that his starting position should never, EVER be called into question?  we're talking about a player who goes missing almost as much as Allen---that is the level of play that now earns you the status of "undroppable"?  it's really sort of scary when you think about it.

And don't tell me that sometimes the captain gets dropped---I would love to know how many teams in the league over the last few years dropped their captain based on form.  Occasionally they don't play because of injury etc but never do they say "okay, you're just not good enough, let's give someone else a go at your position."

I don't dislike him personally.  He seems to be a nice lad with a good attitude.  But I would hope that considering that just a few years ago we had a midfield of Xabi, Masch and Stevie, that we aspire to have more class in midfield than someone like Jordan Henderson.  But making him captain means that he IS essentially the first midfielder on the teamsheet.  And that to me is frightening.  I want players who never go missing and who have top, top talent to be first on the teamsheet.  That's not the case with Jordan.

TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #128: Jul 23, 2015 11:36:51 pm
      So what you're saying is Emre should be Captain?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #129: Jul 23, 2015 11:38:20 pm
      Can is the most talented midfielder we have.  Miles ahead of Henderson.

As usual you are over rating one player and under rating the other.

Emre may well go on to be a great player but at this point Hendo is miles ahead of him as a midfielder.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #130: Jul 23, 2015 11:45:29 pm
      As usual you are over rating one player and under rating the other.

Emre may well go on to be a great player but at this point Hendo is miles ahead of him as a midfielder.

Don't forget Milner is sh*t also.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #131: Jul 23, 2015 11:47:20 pm
      Well this is why I had such a huge problem with him being named captain.

First of all my own personal belief is that he's hugely overrated and has only had about 6 consistent months of top football since being here (from Christmas of 2013 to the end of the 2013/14 season).  I don't even think he's good enough to be at the club, let alone captain of it.  Some might say that's harsh; but even his most ardent supporters would have to admit that he's not a world-beater, and he goes missing way too often.  Just go look at his thread and read back throughout the season to see how many people were questioning why he was invisible during some of our biggest games. 

The issue I have is that as captain, he's practically guaranteed a starting position for the rest of his career with us.  Are you telling me that he is not only a top player, but in fact he is SO good that his starting position should never, EVER be called into question?  we're talking about a player who goes missing almost as much as Allen---that is the level of play that now earns you the status of "undroppable"?  it's really sort of scary when you think about it.

And don't tell me that sometimes the captain gets dropped---I would love to know how many teams in the league over the last few years dropped their captain based on form.  Occasionally they don't play because of injury etc but never do they say "okay, you're just not good enough, let's give someone else a go at your position."

I don't dislike him personally.  He seems to be a nice lad with a good attitude.  But I would hope that considering that just a few years ago we had a midfield of Xabi, Masch and Stevie, that we aspire to have more class in midfield than someone like Jordan Henderson.  But making him captain means that he IS essentially the first midfielder on the teamsheet.  And that to me is frightening.  I want players who never go missing and who have top, top talent to be first on the teamsheet.  That's not the case with Jordan.

The problem with our squad at the moment is I don't think there are that many who stand out as captain material. We used to have a team with quite a few of them (Reina, Carragher, Hyypia, Mascherano, Gerrard etc.) I would however say that he has the determination to try and better himself and won't rest on his laurels. The only person I can think of in our squad that is truly undroppable is Coutinho and he isn't captain material so would you rather there be no captain?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #132: Jul 23, 2015 11:55:16 pm
      The problem with our squad at the moment is I don't think there are that many who stand out as captain material. We used to have a team with quite a few of them (Reina, Carragher, Hyypia, Mascherano, Gerrard etc.) I would however say that he has the determination to try and better himself and won't rest on his laurels. The only person I can think of in our squad that is truly undroppable is Coutinho and he isn't captain material so would you rather there be no captain?

Agreed about lack of captain material, was saying that last season and why I thought Milner might be in for a surprise shout at it. No surprise to see him pick up vice captaincy.

I share a lot of Federer's concerns over Henderson and as many of you will know I have done for a while, but he has looked to have taken to it quite well so far (judged against horribly inferior opposition it has to be said). Only time will tell now what kind of choice it is and whether he'll keep hold of the arm band for a long period.

I suspect Can is a year too soon for him to be considered, while clearly a talent he is still raw enough to call into question his consistency. I am also slightly worried that he is going to occupy the DLPM role and be exposed leading to him bearing the brunt and getting dropped. It's probably why I'm leaning more towards the 4-2-3-1 formation because I fear that a 4-3-3 is asking for trouble right now.

Hendo is a strange one because he has likability and the opposite of that in almost equal measure, when he speaks there's a lot to love about the bloke and how he speaks about the club and the manager. He's certainly someone you'd want as a friend but as a leader I just don't think he has it. Yeah we've all seen the squaring up to Costa vids and the mouthing off at Refs but there's also the times when you see him berate himself and seemingly lack the conviction in the final 3rd to suggest he doesn't have that self confidence a leader requires to instill belief in others to say "where he goes, I follow".

He is only 25 (only just) and given that I often think I've been a little harsh on him but not overly so that I still don't have the same concerns but perhaps I shouldn't quite have been so vocal about them. Essentially I want him to succeed and be our captain for a long time I just don't think he has the minerals.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #133: Jul 23, 2015 11:58:24 pm

I would have gone for Skrtel as skipper myself, he's as close to a shoe-in (alongside Mignolet) as you can get with this team, he would have been a. Ice safe bet for 12 months until potentially Can was ready for the role. Milner would have been the 2nd option for me. I'm hoping Skrtel gets the VC role because he deserves it.

I have to agree to some extent with Fed, I'm not as down on Henderson as he is BUT the idea that he is un-droppable (or has close to that status as skipper) is a bit baffling to me. I like him as a player and he still has some growth to come but I have to ask would he get on the team sheet at the four sides in last years top four. He wouldn't get a look in at Chelsea or the Gooners and I'm not sure he'd get a start at either of the manc clubs either. On the plus side I have liked the way he has carried himself so far over the pre-season, he appears. To grown a little in stature now he has the armband and Stevie has moved on, he will need to show plenty more of that in the early part of the season to really grab the role. I just hope he doesn't take on the pens though. Benteke takes a decent penno so I'm hoping he gets the shout.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #134: Jul 24, 2015 12:03:19 am
      Agreed about lack of captain material, was saying that last season and why I thought Milner might be in for a surprise shout at it. No surprise to see him pick up vice captaincy.

I share a lot of Federer's concerns over Henderson and as many of you will know I have done for a while, but he has looked to have taken to it quite well so far (judged against horribly inferior opposition it has to be said). Only time will tell now what kind of choice it is and whether he'll keep hold of the arm band for a long period.

I suspect Can is a year too soon for him to be considered, while clearly a talent he is still raw enough to call into question his consistency. I am also slightly worried that he is going to occupy the DLPM role and be exposed leading to him bearing the brunt and getting dropped. It's probably why I'm leaning more towards the 4-2-3-1 formation because I fear that a 4-3-3 is asking for trouble right now.

Hendo is a strange one because he has likability and the opposite of that in almost equal measure, when he speaks there's a lot to love about the bloke and how he speaks about the club and the manager. He's certainly someone you'd want as a friend but as a leader I just don't think he has it. Yeah we've all seen the squaring up to Costa vids and the mouthing off at Refs but there's also the times when you see him berate himself and seemingly lack the conviction in the final 3rd to suggest he doesn't have that self confidence a leader requires to instill belief in others to say "where he goes, I follow".

He is only 25 (only just) and given that I often think I've been a little harsh on him but not overly so that I still don't have the same concerns but perhaps I shouldn't quite have been so vocal about them. Essentially I want him to succeed and be our captain for a long time I just don't think he has the minerals.

Whenever I think about what I think is our best side this season Luke Can doesn't get into themunless it's a 3 4 3. I think he may well be used sparingly this season and used as a time to further develop him for the following season. I wouldn't even be surprised if we see him more as a CB than in midfield.

For me we have a few formations that we could play quite comfortably next season and with various options depending on who's fit and what game it is but the most important thing is that our best player, Coutinho, is played in his best postion more often than not and that for me is in midfield as a 'number 8' much like Iniesta does for Barca.

So it has to be either a 4 3 3 or a 4 4 2 diamond to get him there but it is where I find the signing of Benteke most interesting as he suggests a 4 2 3 1 would be our best formation if we are too get the best out of him. But as many have said Benteke could well have much more to his game than he gets credit for and will be able to fit into thhe other formations more easily than you would first imagine.

Mignolet

Clyne  Skrtel  Sakho  Moreno

Milner

Henderson    Coutinho

Firmino

Benteke  Sturridge

Mignolet

Milner

Henderson  Coutinho

Ibe  Benteke  Firmino

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #135: Jul 24, 2015 12:07:56 am
      Whenever I think about what I think is our best side this season Luke Can doesn't get into themunless it's a 3 4 3. I think he may well be used sparingly this season and used as a time to further develop him for the following season. I wouldn't even be surprised if we see him more as a CB than in midfield.

For me we have a few formations that we could play quite comfortably next season and with various options depending on who's fit and what game it is but the most important thing is that our best player, Coutinho, is played in his best postion more often than not and that for me is in midfield as a 'number 8' much like Iniesta does for Barca.

So it has to be either a 4 3 3 or a 4 4 2 diamond to get him there but it is where I find the signing of Benteke most interesting as he suggests a 4 2 3 1 would be our best formation if we are too get the best out of him. But as many have said Benteke could well have much more to his game than he gets credit for and will be able to fit into thhe other formations more easily than you would first imagine.

Mignolet

Milner

Henderson    Coutinho

Firmino

Benteke  Sturridge

Mignolet

Milner

Henderson  Coutinho

Ibe  Benteke  Firmino

Understand your point completely Si and why I suggested in the 4-2-3-1 that Can be left out also. It's a difficult one because I feel that Can's best position , by far, will be the in between role of the 3 midfielders. I see your point also about Coutinho but disagree with this to an extent, I think he's best in the 10 role behind the strikers, it's fair to say though that Firmino will give him plenty of opposition for this role.

I'm personally just gutted that we don't have Suarez with those 2 because a 3 of those on the center and left of attack would devastate opposition.

I guess we'll find out just how much game time Can gets, it's good that we have so many games that even a back up will get plenty of time to force their way into the starting line-up but I must share Fed's opinion on this one, you don't simply drop your captain and in that scenario Brendan may have painted himself into a bit of a corner. (strangely familiar with a certain thread you got overly criticised for :D )
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #136: Jul 24, 2015 12:11:30 am
      Understand your point completely Si and why I suggested in the 4-2-3-1 that Can be left out also. It's a difficult one because I feel that Can's best position , by far, will be the in between role of the 3 midfielders. I see your point also about Coutinho but disagree with this to an extent, I think he's best in the 10 role behind the strikers, it's fair to say though that Firmino will give him plenty of opposition for this role.

Disagree on Phil mate as I think he played his best football for us when he played in the three in the title run in two seasons back. The main reason I like him there as he has more of the game in front of him and can influence our attack even more and I think that with Firmino it allows him to drop back into the three.

I guess we'll find out just how much game time Can gets, it's good that we have so many games that even a back up will get plenty of time to force their way into the starting line-up

The amount of games is actually a positive in this respect as for many games we can have a totally different side and Brendan can work with the 'first 11' for the next league game without having to worry about certain players. I think we are very strong now and have quite a few players who could  quite easily be called first team players who won't see the light of day in some league games.

This could be our Europa or  League Cup side:

Bogdan

Wisdom  Ilori  Lovren  Gomez

Lucas

Allen  Can

Markovic  Ings  Lallana

Brendan may have painted himself into a bit of a corner. (strangely familiar with a certain thread you got overly criticised for :D )

Which one was that mate?
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2015 12:30:11 am by srslfc »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #137: Jul 24, 2015 12:12:11 am
      Disagree on Phil mate as I think he played his best footballl for us when he playedin the three in the title run in two seasons back. The main reason I like him there as he has more of the game in front of him and can influence our attack even more and I think that with Firmino it allows him to drop back into the three.

Fair enough mate.

Quick Reply