Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

2015-2016 Formation

Read 37100 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: 2015-2016 Formation
      Reply #69: Jul 21, 2015 05:12:30 pm
      The idea of a midfield three composed of Allen, Henderson, and Milner.....
      I think you are commenting on vicks post and others didn't understand.  Fear not,  I doubt we will see much of Allen in the premier league.  Easier Europa league games and League cup  maybe.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #70: Jul 21, 2015 05:40:54 pm
                         Benteke
         Coutinho            Firmino

Milner      Can     Hendo

Gomez   Sakho  Skrtel  Clyne

Mignolet

Talented forwards not in my first 11: Origi, Sturridge, Lallana, Ibe.

Who needs Sterling? Some heavy competition there. If Balotelli does get swapped for Gomez then we will have the scariest looking strike force in the league since he'd make a very good 3rd centre striker.

You forgot Markovic.

Got a good feeling about that kid this season.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #71: Jul 21, 2015 06:29:58 pm
      I'd like to see like vs. Stoke:

Migs
      Clyne  Skrtel  Sahko  Gomez
              Hendo   Milner
         Lallana  Couts  Firmino
                    Benteke

Ibe and Markovic would be the first subs that come to mind, or maybe even Ibe instead of Lallana for the start. Let the 3 behind Benteke attack. Benteke be a target, and poach goals inside the box. Lots of energy in this 11, just hope our defense can hold it's own.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #72: Jul 21, 2015 06:42:24 pm
      You forgot Markovic.

Got a good feeling about that kid this season.
      maybe,  but we have that much talent I think it could be hard for anybody to stand out.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #73: Jul 21, 2015 09:24:40 pm
      Can't be doing with this amount of f**king negativity Fed.

negativity?

in 2009 we had a midfield three of Xabi, Masch and Gerrard.

now we're facing the idea of a midfield of Milner, Henderson and Allen.

You think that's fine?  you think the only problem is.... my negativity?

Supposed to get enjoyment out of the game not wallow in constant doom and gloom.

I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of it if we stopped buying mediocrity and started acting like the club we once were. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #74: Jul 21, 2015 09:36:20 pm
      negativity?

I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of it if we stopped buying mediocrity and started acting like the club we once were. 

You have a point but it get's boring as F**k when you bring it up in every other post. We get it!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,598 posts | 2156 
      Reply #75: Jul 21, 2015 09:48:05 pm
      Lucas doesn't seem to be making it i to a lot of peoples starting 11s which surprises me. We have generally been poor defensively under Rodgers with the exception of a three month spell last season. Lucas would be in my starting line-up. Especially if we're playing a back four with Moreno and Clyne at full-back but most probably playing half way up the pitch for the majority of the game. We will need a middie with GENUINE defensive instincts and that isn't Henderson or Milner, maybe Can can do it but we would need to see how he does first.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #76: Jul 21, 2015 10:31:32 pm
      Lucas doesn't seem to be making it i to a lot of peoples starting 11s which surprises me. We have generally been poor defensively under Rodgers with the exception of a three month spell last season. Lucas would be in my starting line-up. Especially if we're playing a back four with Moreno and Clyne at full-back but most probably playing half way up the pitch for the majority of the game. We will need a middie with GENUINE defensive instincts and that isn't Henderson or Milner, maybe Can can do it but we would need to see how he does first.

Definitely not for me. I think he can do a job in the lesser games, but far too often last season he looked as if he was running through treacle and he just struggled with the pace, constantly losing his man leaving the defence criminally exposed.

At his age, he isn't getting any better either. And in a squad that demands high fitness levels and constant pressing, he's a no for me.
      Scottbot

• 9,598 posts | 2156 
      Reply #77: Jul 21, 2015 10:34:57 pm
      Definitely not for me. I think he can do a job in the lesser games, but far too often last season he looked as if he was running through treacle and he just struggled with the pace, constantly losing his man leaving the defence criminally exposed.

At his age, he isn't getting any better either. And in a squad that demands high fitness levels and constant pressing, he's a no for me.

I seem to recall he was a mainstay during that run where we were breaking long standing clean sheet records away from home. Given how cavalier we are going forwards and how many bodies we put in the opposition half we will need someone back there to help the back four. Incidentally, I think the way we attack means that just about anyone who plays that position for us can look like they are running in treacle.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #78: Jul 21, 2015 10:38:27 pm
      The team that starts in norway, will be a good indication of what the team -v- stoke will be.
      Id expect all late comers to be subs, for a while, till they get 100% match fit.

We're playing in Finland :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #79: Jul 21, 2015 10:43:23 pm
      I seem to recall he was a mainstay during that run where we were breaking long standing clean sheet records away from home. Given how cavalier we are going forwards and how many bodies we put in the opposition half we will need someone back there to help the back four. Incidentally, I think the way we attack means that just about anyone who plays that position for us can look like they are running in treacle.
      I like the idea of Lucas in there as well but who sits? Won't be Hendo or Milner, Firmino or Coutinho, so do we take off a good link up and attacking player in Lallana for some defensive help?
      Scottbot

• 9,598 posts | 2156 
      Reply #80: Jul 21, 2015 10:52:43 pm
      I like the idea of Lucas in there as well but who sits? Won't be Hendo or Milner, Firmino or Coutinho, so do we take off a good link up and attacking player in Lallana for some defensive help?

A lot of posters seem to have us pegged for a diamond where as I wouldn't go near it because I don't think our strikers are of a quality (or creative enough) to warrant two of them being on the starting line-up at the same time. If we do play a three in there (and we bloody should) I would probably like to see Lucas, Milner and Can but obviously Henderson will play so it will likely be Can to sit out given he is only just back from pre-season. Can Can play the holding role this season? I'm sure he could but he is so competent running with the ball and attacking space that I wonder if it would be the best role for him and I don't know that he possesses the defensive instincts of Lucas.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #81: Jul 21, 2015 10:57:07 pm
      negativity?

I think Can will be above Allen in the pecking order.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #82: Jul 21, 2015 11:01:11 pm
      A lot of posters seem to have us pegged for a diamond where as I wouldn't go near it because I don't think our strikers are of a quality (or creative enough) to warrant two of them being on the starting line-up at the same time. If we do play a three in there (and we bloody should) I would probably like to see Lucas, Milner and Can but obviously Henderson will play so it will likely be Can to sit out given he is only just back from pre-season. Can Can play the holding role this season? I'm sure he could but he is so competent running with the ball and attacking space that I wonder if it would be the best role for him and I don't know that he possesses the defensive instincts of Lucas.

Holy crap, I forgot about Can.

Gonna be interesting how Brendan gets everyone playing time. Hopefully it creates a healthy competition that raises everyone's game.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #83: Jul 21, 2015 11:22:33 pm
      I think Can will be above Allen in the pecking order.

Can is IMO the best midfielder we've got right now.  He should be the first midfielder on the teamsheet.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #84: Jul 21, 2015 11:46:06 pm
      Can is IMO the best midfielder we've got right now.  He should be the first midfielder on the teamsheet.

He's not.

Not even close.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #85: Jul 21, 2015 11:50:45 pm
      Benteke
      Coutinho  Firmino
      Milner    Can     Hendo

Would probably go for this.

Will be interesting to see how we line up with the likes of Sturridge (when fit), Benteke, Firmino, Coutinho, Milner and Hendo who will all be deemed as starters virtually every week. Got to be playing Can though IMO, in his natural position and he could become an absolute machine for us defensively and going forward.

Then there are the likes of Ibe and hopefully Tex who are showing a lot of promise.

But it's much better to have selection headaches, will hopefully keep the players on their toes too, knowing that there is competition for places.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 2810 
      Reply #86: Jul 21, 2015 11:51:20 pm
      Well going off the pre season games so far it's almost certainly going to be a 4-3-3. Might change when Sturridge is fit again but that's still a long way off.

So if we assume Henderson plays as he's the new captain, Milner does as why else would he leave City (plus he's surely our best midfielder now), Coutinho does as he's probably our best player and also Benteke and Firmino both start as they're our key attacking signings this window that then leaves us with one spot in the front six.

Two options for me after that:

1) Play a defensive midfielder behind Hendo and Milner and have Coutinho and Firmino roaming behind Benteke

or

2) Put Coutinho in front of Milner and Hendo in midfield and have Firmino, Lallana/Ibe and Benteke as the front three.

Think we'll see a mixture of both over the first few months, maybe playing Lucas/Can as the anchor man when needed.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #87: Jul 21, 2015 11:55:18 pm
      Think the side we'll see when everyone is fit would look something like:

Migs
         Clyne       Skrtel         Lovren   Moreno
                          Milner     Henderson
                Lallana     Coutinho     Firmino
                              Sturridge

Obviously while out Benteke replaces Sturridge but I honestly don't see us playing 2 up top very often. He'll want to manage both players knowing their injury history so there's a chance that a touch of rotation could go on, both for fitness and in terms of keeping both happy. I think Lallana, despite not behing my favourite player offers us the most protection and balance to the side on the right of our attack. Firmino could quite possibly swap places but I prefer Phil playing from the middle and interchanging with Sturridge + Firmino would be a nightmare for any defence to handle.

I expect Gomez on current form to push Moreno out of the side however I'm hoping Moreno steps up his game considerably. I said when he came in that he was very raw and more a winger than a full back and you'd see moments when you'd think WTF but I honestly didn't expect him to be as bad as he was. The big mitigating circumstance was that he was playing next to Lovren. I do expect Lovren to start as first choice because Brendan will want to prove a point, he was bought to replace Sakho in the starting XI there's no reason to think Brendan wouldn't persist with it unless someone can talk him out of it (come on Sean show us your worth!).
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #88: Jul 21, 2015 11:59:06 pm
      Migs
         Clyne       Skrtel         Lovren   Moreno
                          Milner     Henderson
                Lallana     Coutinho     Firmino
                              Sturridge

Looks better than last season. Think we went into last season without any real sort of game plan and just tried to wing it best we could.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #89: Jul 22, 2015 12:02:59 am
      Looks better than last season. Think we went into last season without any real sort of game plan and just tried to wing it best we could.

Agree 7KK7, think our squad is much stronger than last season. Personally I'd have liked to have seen a proper number 2 come in and a starting LB, plus of course someone different than Benteke but as you say, in terms of where we stand now in comparison to pre-season last year I'm much more confident we can make a push for the top 4.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #90: Jul 22, 2015 12:04:38 am
      he was bought to replace Sakho in the starting XI there's no reason to think Brendan wouldn't persist with it unless someone can talk him out of it (

Agree with your post except for this point...there is little doubt Sakho is our best defender; I don't think Brendan puts him on the bench for the sake of making a point or to try to make himself look better.

There is enough competition in the club right now where they are going to have to earn a spot.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #91: Jul 22, 2015 12:05:55 am
      Agree with your post except for this point...there is little doubt Sakho is our best defender; I don't think Brendan puts him on the bench for the sake of making a point or to try to make himself look better.

Hope you're right mate. Also agree that Sakho is clearly our best defender.

Quick Reply