Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163103 times
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #115: Jul 23, 2015 06:45:42 am
      Welcome, welcome !

Hope he proves his worth .

If we spend the money on Benteke (32 mil pounds) i will be off the forums, that's just mental.

Be a man of your word George.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #116: Jul 23, 2015 07:05:24 am
      Let me explain why this Benteke deal is so daft and dangerous.

If only football was such a perfectly predictable game, we'd sign perfect players every single time, win every single match and be top of the world Ma!

There isn't one club in the world who can find that perfect formula, not one and that's why we watch football, the uncertainty makes us keep coming back for more.

Welcome to the club Christian now ram the doubters words back down their mouths eh fella.

;D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #117: Jul 23, 2015 07:36:15 am

Be a man of your word George.

No need for thst just winding someone up for the sake of it , if you dont like what he says just ignore it dont be petty about it .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #118: Jul 23, 2015 07:38:36 am
      Really hope for all our sakes that this one rises to the challenge good luck fella go and make your msrk .
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #119: Jul 23, 2015 07:44:42 am
      Welcome Benteke, as I said last week, since he was the prime signing of Brendan we had to do everything to bring him here.

Prove the doubters wrong. YNWA

You have my absolute support

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #120: Jul 23, 2015 08:06:28 am
      Haha I did mate yep, and I still haven't changed my opinion on most of our signings from last season. Lovren I rated very highly before he signed, and I still think he's an excellent player. Yes he had a poor season but you get that sometimes, even when the was playing sh!te though (particularly in the second half of the season) you could see the quality shining through. He'll deservedly start the season as third choice, but my hunch is that before long I won't be the only one who thinks he's a good player.

Others such as Markovic and Lallana are obviously good players too, but like Lovren they have to either show it more consistently or they won't get a game. Balotelli was my rank bad call as I thought he'd work out, but there you go.

You've known me long enough to know though mate I'm happy to put my opinion out there, and without bags of caveats too. Equally I ain't shy of admitting I called it wrong, and I do get a few right occasionally. I'm right on thus one though, and lo and behold having a player like Benteke will suddenly make the likes of Lallana, Markovic and even Lovren look like better players too. Good players do that, they glue things together and make them work, just like Suarez did. Benteke isn't Suarez, but he IS a good player and he WILL work out, big style.

I know you love to call it early mate! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how we play next season with Benteke in the 9 shirt? Will Brendan simply try to integrate him into the way we've been playing (trying to play) or will he put some kinks in to get the best out of Benteke which might been compromising some of his attacking principles. You've been a pretty big fan of Benteke from the start and have not been concerned about how he fits in (or the relative failures of Carroll, Lambert & Balotelli) so how do you think we will use him and get the best out of him?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #121: Jul 23, 2015 08:17:02 am
      He really looks like Mike Tyson.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #122: Jul 23, 2015 08:26:56 am
      We wouldn't have head scratchers like a 27-year old Lallana for £25m.  And we wouldn't be taken for mugs by clubs like Villa who then make a £25m profit on a player we could've had if we had just put in some effort in 2012.

THAT is the problem I have with this.  Where were our scouts in 2012 when Benteke was available but we chose Borini?  where were our scouts in 2013 when Lovren was available for £8.5m and we passed up on it?  or when we, desperately needing a DM for years, let Wanyama go to Saints for £12m?  I mean really, who would you rather have, Joe Allen for £15m or Wanyama for £12m?

These examples are proof that Lovren, Lallana and Borini were Rodgers transfers, he demanded those players to be signed, and the board chose to back him and stop following their transfer philosophy. The same happened with Benteke.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #123: Jul 23, 2015 08:54:19 am
      These examples are proof that Lovren, Lallana and Borini were Rodgers transfers, he demanded those players to be signed, and the board chose to back him and stop following their transfer philosophy. The same happened with Benteke.

The transfer committee are not in place to be the subject of ''demands'' by the manager.
      The transfer committee were not appointed by Brendan Rodgers and the very concept of him over ruling them on the very matter they were designated to judge is ludicrous.
      FSG pay them outrageous salaries to have their decisions ruled unacceptable??

Not the business model any owners would want to run their company. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #124: Jul 23, 2015 09:28:05 am
      Well Christian lad you've really divided opinion amongst the fan base so there's only one thing for you to do now mate, go get us gazillions of goals which leads us to our first PL Title. 

Hopefully that might win the doubters overs, although even that might not be enough for some.

Welcome to the best footy club in the world, we know our stuff round these parts  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #125: Jul 23, 2015 09:31:08 am
      20 goal a season striker. No complaints from me really. Let's see how he goes.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #126: Jul 23, 2015 09:40:22 am
      we brought Sterling for 500k and sold him for 50m. Suarez for 22.5m and sold for 75m. Gomez for 3m, Coutinho for 8m, Sturridge for 12m. The fact is, if we got all the players that would turn out great for cheap we would be better than Barcelona. We get a fair share but we don't have any crystal ball and sometimes have to buy established players. The real problem is that we get paid poorly in sponsorship deals.

I think Ribaru has the nail on the head here, we've had our fair share of players bought for little but sold for a lot (or bought for a healthy price such as Suarez and sold for big big prices).

I can see where Fed is coming, I have felt for many years that we have a habit of overpaying for EPL players who are flavour of the month but could have been purchased 12 months earlier for considerably less. Examples that spring to mind would be Glen Johnson and Robbie Keane, and I always felt the club could be more clever In the market although they have shown this on the odd occasion (ie. Bellamy, Fowler, Suarez). But the truth is the bigger clubs (particularly in the last 10-15 years) have always paid top dollar for players who have excelled for a year or two at lesser clubs within the EPL, it's just the way it works. The mancs (in particular) shelled out huge fees for players like Berbatov, Carrick, Smalling and Shaw. City and Chelsea have tended to buy abroad where as Arsenal have a policy of shelling out big money on young promising EPL players ie. Walcott, Chambers, Chamberlain, Ramsay etc. personally I like the Arsenal method, they have the confidence In their own scouting and are willing to overpay on youngsters to ensure they get in ahead of competitors with greater financial muscle. That appears to be the secret of their success.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #127: Jul 23, 2015 09:54:33 am
      Spitting image of Andy Carroll running down the wing.

https://twitter.com/TotallyReds/status/624109175631511552
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #128: Jul 23, 2015 09:58:07 am
      Welcome ben'teckers ;-)

YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #129: Jul 23, 2015 10:10:07 am
      He stays fit and he'll rip the league a new one - welcome Christian - YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #130: Jul 23, 2015 10:28:53 am
      Yip - full circle from me on this one.

Nobody is gonna like playing against him.

Welcome big fella - get stuck in!

PS: my 12 yr old insists on calling him "Big Daddy Teckers".......I may steal that!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #131: Jul 23, 2015 10:39:45 am
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #132: Jul 23, 2015 10:43:02 am

PS: my 12 yr old insists on calling him "Big Daddy Teckers".......I may steal that!

Like it. ;D
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #133: Jul 23, 2015 10:53:32 am
      I'm quitely optimistic about Benteke. Of course I would have loved a marquee signing, but Benteke is actually a really good player and scores goals. Someone pointed out that he creates a lot of chances himself too. It is a big risk because it's a lot of money, but it was a far bigger risk getting Carroll for more money where as Benteke is a proven goalscorer in the PL. For every example, there is a counter example, but bottom line is, in my opinion, he will do well.

Some worry that we might have to change our style of play. I disagree, we didn't change our style of play whenever Lambert or Balotelli started, just to suit "big man up front", so why would we change it for a more mobile and technically versatile player like Benteke. It's a case of curiousity how we line up for me, and how Benteke adapts his game.

I've read through some Villa forums and they are generally gutted to lose him. Something they also seem to be sad about losing in Benteke is apparently how much of a leader he is on the pitch. To be fair, I see their point, I've always liked his professional approach to games and how much effort he puts into each game. That rubs off on other players.

Anyway, welcome big man, really wish you a successful career here.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #134: Jul 23, 2015 11:04:51 am
      I have had my doubts too but welcome big fella. I am sure you will score plenty of goals.

BTW: Why you are scoring these goals give that toe rag who moved to Shitty a kick in the bollocks and couple more for any of the Scum players that come anywhere near you. If you do this then I love you man. ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #135: Jul 23, 2015 11:10:41 am
      i haven't been fully supportive of this signing, but now he's here,
      Welcome Big Ben. Prove me wrong and go get a shed full of goals for us.
      He could well go to a higher level than that he was on at villa, by having better quality players behind him.
      Just waiting now to see him drive one straight through john terry !

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #136: Jul 23, 2015 11:32:33 am
      The transfer committee are not in place to be the subject of ''demands'' by the manager.

They were put in place because the manager flatly refused a DoF Stuey and was the way Brendan wanted to work in recruitment of players.

You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet over the 'committee', even though its pretty much how every club works they who doesn't have a DoF, and Brendan is part of that committee that brings the players here.

Benteke by all accounts has been one he has wanted for a couple of seasons so the committee have once again done their job.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #137: Jul 23, 2015 11:34:32 am

Who is the man on the right? Donar guy?

Quick Reply