Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163848 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #1587: Apr 26, 2016 07:35:16 pm
      It a case of horse's for courses. Benteke just isn't right for us, but there's no doubt he can be a success at a team that plays to his strengths, we should have no bother shifting him for decent money.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1588: May 04, 2016 09:09:45 am
      Good header the other day by the big fella. It'd be lovely if before we consign him to the "bargain bin" he makes a telling contribution in one of these big matches. He's got nowhere near matches Sturridge in the "goals per minutes played" stakes I shouldn't think (few do in fairness) but I'd be surprised if he's not comfortably ahead of anyone else. "Goals per appearance" has more legs as an "as I said all along" tool I guess, because some of his "appearances" have been like the Villareal one, five minutes or so.

It's going to be really interesting to see how he goes next season, wherever he ends up.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #1589: May 04, 2016 09:32:27 pm
      I dunno man. Leicester just won the league, and we can't get Benteke OR Sturridge to work?

I have some serious questions.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1590: May 04, 2016 10:03:32 pm
      I dunno man. Leicester just won the league, and we can't get Benteke OR Sturridge to work?

No idea what your on about Sturridge has been scoring for fun since he has been back.

Benteke yup as close as to Vardy as you will find   :lmao:

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #1591: May 05, 2016 04:15:20 am

How the f**k did Leicester come into this?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1592: May 07, 2016 04:27:54 am
      I feel that he will have a HUGE part to play come our last game of the season.
      I am not his biggest fan but was excited when we signed him.
      Things didn't pan out for a number of reasons BUT I have a sneaking feeling that in Basle he will come on in extra time and win us the trophy!!!!
      After the sh*te season he has had with fitness, form and confidence and then the extremely vocal criticism of him from the fans I just feel that the story, for his for this season and perhaps his only season at LFC) will end in glory.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1593: May 07, 2016 08:10:05 am
      I have no idea of why we signed this lad, Brendan could have had a brain fart while he was having his gnashers whitewashed, whatever plans he had for him they went with him when the door handle hit him on the arse,

I honestly cannot see where he fits or can be utilised under Jürgen's style, so I think it's safe to assume he'll be sold to fund some additions that actually fit the system this summer,

It's not Christian's fault, he's a top player but just not for us I'm afraid, there won't be a shortage of takers that's for sure.

YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1594: May 07, 2016 09:10:25 am
      I have no idea of why we signed this lad, Brendan could have had a brain fart while he was having his gnashers whitewashed, whatever plans he had for him they went with him when the door handle hit him on the arse,

I honestly cannot see where he fits or can be utilised under Jürgen's style, so I think it's safe to assume he'll be sold to fund some additions that actually fit the system this summer,

It's not Christian's fault, he's a top player but just not for us I'm afraid, there won't be a shortage of takers that's for sure.

YNWA

Fair points, well made Billy and it just goes to show you the fragile and delicate nature of transfers. But for a twist of fate - Benteke could have signed for Dortmund, when Jürgen was their boss [priced out, weren't they?].

When you think about it - Dortmund fans could have been asking the same 'brain fart' question about Jürgen, over Christian.  :o

As it stood tho', Dortmund signed thon goat Immobile instead.

You're spot on mate - when it's not working, best admit defeat and cut your losses [exactly like Brendan did with Mario and Jürgen did with Immobile] - the truth is; only the cuntiest of all cu*ts would hold it against the boss (if he does that) in my opinion.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #1595: May 10, 2016 06:26:27 am
      Unless we're getting Lewandoski, Aubemayang, Higuain, Suarez, Morata or Griezmann, I say we keep him as I believe he'll come good next season.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1596: May 10, 2016 06:36:45 am
      Kind of seems like the damage was done to his confidence even before Klopp came here. It's a total confidence issue.
      I saw him plenty of times before he came to Liverpool and saw what he's capable of.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1597: May 10, 2016 09:10:17 am
      One assist at the weekend, really ought to have been two if Coutinho buries the sitter he set up for him. Then the header at the end with the ball being two inches too high kind of somes up his day/season. Still chockablock full of quality though if you look beyond the obvious lack of confidence. I'm sure if it returns next season, wherever he ends up playing he will rip it up.

One other thing, there has been much debate on here all season about whether or not we "play to his strengths", how we do it (if indeed we aren't already) and what they actually are anyway. The first goal was a classic example of how you do it. Simple tap free kick, Benteke peels and Coutino hits him ON THE DIAGONAL  and QUICKLY. Pretty simple stuff really, second phase runner picks up the knockdown and scores. Doesn't mean you have wingers flying up and down the line firing crosses in (Villa never had that either) nor does it mean you have to go "long ball and launch it". Just means that if you want to use him properly, you play the ball Coutinho played a few times during the match. The thing with such a ploy which gives it beauty is it directly threatens teams which sit in deep trying to prevent you passing through them. Against Benteke used in this way you really want to be defending as high up as possible, but of course you can't with our other players. It's very difficult to consistently stop such a ploy done properly, even more so when you're defending deep.

More than one way to win football matches and all that. Once we've flogged off Benteke hopefully we have an alternative plan against defend deep and hit it long teams next season. We'll need one if we are going to challenge for the title IMHO, and the team/manager is plenty good enough to aim for that if Sturridge stays fit.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1598: May 10, 2016 11:10:42 am
      Sad to say as he seems a nice lad and can score goals, but he is just not fitting into our style, I would say he is well down the pecking order for starting games as 1st choice striker \ forward

1) sturridge
      2) Firmino
      3) Origi
      4) Ings
      5) Big Ben

If the west Ham offer is genuine, bite their hands off.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #1599: May 10, 2016 09:36:19 pm
      you do realize that west ham are better than us in the league, right? They have a good striker that we also sold to them because he apparently "didn't suit our style" (whatever that is)

They now, have a new stadium for a minuscule price that is larger than ours.

Our league is getting tougher every year. We don't regularly qualify for the champions league, we are on a budget. So yea lets just sell a potential rival another good striker because he "doesn't suit our style". Even though we have no discernable style...seems like a poor idea

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1600: May 10, 2016 09:39:27 pm
      you do realize that west ham are better than us in the league, right? They have a good striker that we also sold to them because he apparently "didn't suit our style" (whatever that is)

Our league is getting tougher every year. We don't regularly qualify for the champions league, we are on a budget. So yea lets just sell a potential rival another good striker because he "doesn't suit our style". Even though we have no discernable style...seems like a poor idea

One good season doesn't make a team a permanent rival. What seems like a poor idea is keeping a striker who doesn't perform and is on about 140k a week. If you don't know what our style is then I have to question if you've watched us at all in recent months.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #1601: May 10, 2016 09:41:09 pm
      you do realize that west ham are better than us in the league, right? T

Yeah but we're gonna win a trophy and be in the Champions League!!

They've won F**k all as per and will still be in the Europa  :laugh:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1602: May 10, 2016 09:43:57 pm
      Unless we're getting Lewandoski, Aubemayang, Higuain, Suarez, Morata or Griezmann, I say we keep him as I believe he'll come good next season.
      That means we could get Reus, Bale or Rodriguez to add to Firmino, Origi and Sturridge and you would still keep Benteke?
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #1603: May 10, 2016 09:54:36 pm
      you do realize that west ham are better than us in the league, right?

I remember something similar in the 2011-2012 season. Newcastle 5th in the league at the end of the season after a few average seasons. St James' Park is in +- the same category as the Olympic stadium capacity-wise too. Spending a shitload of money that summer, West Ham looking to do the same and look at them now, 5 years later and they're off to the championship. One season means f**k all.

The only difference being that the Hammers don't have an idiot like Mike Ashley as owner.

On topic: I don't really know where I stand regarding Benteke. If we could sell him for a decent price, it might be better to sell him and invest the money in other positions, but on the other side, he is a decent plan B and he has done well coming on as a sub...
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2016 10:05:06 pm by Danzel »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #1604: May 10, 2016 10:06:38 pm
      The only difference being that the Hammers don't have an idiot like Mike Ashley as owner.

They've got a midget cockney c**t like David Sullivan instead!!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1605: May 10, 2016 10:33:19 pm

Deary me. As mcarz said, if you don't know what our style is at this moment in time (of all times) then the door is over there.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1606: May 10, 2016 10:38:41 pm

You should watch a few of our games, even you will soon realise the way we now play.

BTW if you had not realised Rodgers is no longer here  ;)

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1607: May 10, 2016 10:39:03 pm

Even though we have no discernable style...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1608: May 11, 2016 10:01:38 pm
      He's been far from good enough and should leave in the summer, but fair play to him, he's come up with important goals this season. Those that compare him to Carroll and other players are well off the mark.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #1609: May 11, 2016 10:06:23 pm
      He's been far from good enough and should leave in the summer, but fair play to him, he's come up with important goals this season. Those that compare him to Carroll and other players are well off the mark.

i havent compared him to carroll, im sayin we sold carroll (a useful player) because he "didnt suit us" and we sold him to a competitor who are higher than us in the league now.

beneteke is a good player and proven goal scorer, (even when playing in a team that he "doesn't suit", even in a relegation fodder team)

So, where is the logic in selling him to another team in our league?

why not get the best out of what we've got (a proven goal scorer)?

Quick Reply