Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163938 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #1679: Jun 03, 2016 07:58:24 pm
      Ah Kenneth, you see what you want to see sir as usual.

Coming from you...

like I say, some things I don't understand and I don't want to understand either. Perhaps it's because he was a Rodgers signing, maybe that's it? Any ways, when the dust settles he'll no longer be wearing our shirt so then we can all have a bit of fun seeing how he gets in from here on in. I'm personally looking forward to it, should provide some quality forum banter one way or another.

Brilliant. Was wondering how long it would be before you pulled out the Rodgers signing argument :lmao:

You are always good for a laugh mate, I'll give you that.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1680: Jun 03, 2016 08:01:04 pm
      People like facts on here and so do I. Benteke's goals per minute ratio (the only sensible way you can judge any striker) isn't great in a red shirt, but it's hardly a disaster either. It's all very well talking about "appearances" when some of em have lasted for two minutes, but being sensible he has for the most part scored goals at approximately one every two full games (just as he has throughout his career). He's done that despite never knowing where the next "appearance" will come from, and it's not surprising (to me anyway) hat there is interest in him from other clubs.

Clearly he hasn't played well, and clearly he isn't the type of striker JĆ¼rgen wants, but it remains a bit silly to say he "doesn't fit in and never would" when the bloke who signed him got the sack after 8 matches of him being here. He certainly "doesn't fit in" as far as Jurgens concerned (and it's my suspicion he never will), but of course we'll never know whether or not he'd have "fit in" under Rodgers.

I remain very confident indeed that this time next season the thread will be full of "ah but they play long balls, we don't" posts as he's done well in his first season wherever he ends up. We'll see, but I'm very happy to wait and see if he proves me right or wrong when I say I think he's got everything needed to become a monster striker. It'll be interesting.

EDIT: The oddest thing to me about the whole Benteke saga has been the sight of fans positively hoping and praying a player would flop in order for them to be able to say "as I said all along". THAT part is really odd to me, I've never experienced that much determination to be proven right. For instance I said earlier this season that Origi would "never make a striker while he has a hole in his @rse". Regardless of what happens from here on in (and I remain convinced he has much to prove) he has ALREADY proven me totally wrong, and I couldn't be happier for both the lad and the club. I simply cannot comprehend not only hoping a player would fail, but also relishing and enjoying him missing a sitter playing for his country, WHILE HE'S STILL OUR PLAYER. I don't think I'll ever understand that, I'm not sure I even want to.

People are hard on Benteke (inlcuding me I guess), but think that was always going to be the case if he didn't turn out to be the 20 goal as season man we needed him to be, following his 'big money' transfer.
      I'd supported BR up until the games he oversaw at the start of last season, where we tried to work Benteke in, and just thought we were a mess, playing percentage balls, loosing possession, we seemed to be going backwards from the quick possession game we were used to. Maybe if given more time, things may have improved, but not confident it would have improved enough.
      He has ability, but how many times to you watch him and just want to give him a good shake? Too often for me. Would need to work harder. Have seen him play really well on occassions, but not enough. And the whole mental coach thing - imo he struggles badly with the pressure, the expectation of playing for a big club.
      Don't want him to fail, but do think he's had sufficient chance to impress, but just hasn't taken it. Compared to someone like Origi, who has improved hugely, though in fairness without the expectation, or transfer fee, Benteke had to shoulder.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1681: Jun 03, 2016 08:02:43 pm
      Coming from you...

Brilliant. Was wondering how long it would be before you pulled out the Rodgers signing argument :lmao:

You are always good for a laugh mate, I'll give you that.

Cheers fella  ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1682: Jun 03, 2016 08:06:57 pm
      People are hard on Benteke (inlcuding me I guess), but think that was always going to be the case if he didn't turn out to be the 20 goal as season man we needed him to be, following his 'big money' transfer.
      I'd supported BR up until the games he oversaw at the start of last season, where we tried to work Benteke in, and just thought we were a mess, playing percentage balls, loosing possession, we seemed to be going backwards from the quick possession game we were used to. Maybe if given more time, things may have improved, but not confident it would have improved enough.
      He has ability, but how many times to you watch him and just want to give him a good shake? Too often for me. Would need to work harder. Have seen him play really well on occassions, but not enough. And the whole mental coach thing - imo he struggles badly with the pressure, the expectation of playing for a big club.
      Don't want him to fail, but do think he's had sufficient chance to impress, but just hasn't taken it. Compared to someone like Origi, who has improved hugely, though in fairness without the expectation, or transfer fee, Benteke had to shoulder.

Fair enough mate, a sensible critique of the fella. He hasn't done it in his first season there's no question about it. Still not got a bad goals per game ratio (providing we remember a game lasts 90 minutes or so, not 2) but still hasn't really done it. He's probably not on his own as we finished 8th in the league, but so little did he feature he probably (fortunately for him) can't be blamed for that.

There's a big difference from your post though and ones that positively relish sticking the boot into him, but even worse actively hope he'll fail. Kenneth "hasn't seen" such posts and he's lucky, they leave a less Han delicious taste in the mouth.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1683: Jun 03, 2016 08:25:41 pm
      Kenneth "hasn't seen" such posts and he's lucky, they leave a less Han delicious taste in the mouth.

Still going then Michael  :gt-happyup:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1684: Jun 03, 2016 08:46:17 pm
      Personally pretty neutral about Benteke. Hasn't been helped over much this season, but hasn't really shown enough either.

I am actually in no hurry to sell him, because I think we may struggle to attract the top quality striker we need and with Sturridge's injury problems Benteke could, if given a little more help prove at least an adequate solution.

Certainly if we are going to play one up with no pace we may as well sell him now, but hopefully our lack of pace will be addressed in this transfer window and then who knows... meanwhile having a plan B is always a good idea.

No rush to sell imo, but any offer close to what we paid and I would take it.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #1685: Jun 03, 2016 09:42:27 pm
      Maybe we should get some wingers and not sell him to a rival?  :f_doh:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1686: Jun 03, 2016 09:45:20 pm
      He hasn't done it in his first season there's no question about it.

First and last :)
      If he starts banging them in for Chelsea, I'll take my words medium-rare ...
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #1687: Jul 22, 2016 10:46:07 am
      Is Benteke on the US tour?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1688: Jul 22, 2016 11:00:29 am
      Personally pretty neutral about Benteke. Hasn't been helped over much this season, but hasn't really shown enough either.

I am actually in no hurry to sell him, because I think we may struggle to attract the top quality striker we need and with Sturridge's injury problems Benteke could, if given a little more help prove at least an adequate solution.

Certainly if we are going to play one up with no pace we may as well sell him now, but hopefully our lack of pace will be addressed in this transfer window and then who knows... meanwhile having a plan B is always a good idea.

Very good points mate, the signings will hopefully address the lack of movement and pace - the very ingredients that could be the spark that ignites Benteke's game.
      It is well worth playing wait and see, the lad does have potential with the right service and to appear in no hurry to get shut will send out the right messages.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1689: Jul 22, 2016 11:09:32 am

The Belgian lads are meant to be joining up with the rest of the team at some point today so we'll find out then mate.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1690: Jul 22, 2016 11:26:19 am
      Funny - he really wasn't one I fancied when we were first linked but my boys really rated him and their enthusiasm kinda talked me round........

He really vexes me though because despite struggling.....he did score (just not when 1 on 1.....except for that penalty!)

Ultimately I think he's just unfortunate that of the "levers" that JĆ¼rgen can pull he's (a) the one that requires more changes to the shape to accomodate and (b) he's the one with the re-sale value right now......

Ultimately he will go - but he's not one I have any ire for or resentment towards. He seems to me like a trier but, if anything, just a bit of a fish out of water....
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1691: Jul 22, 2016 11:39:37 am

I'm pretty much the same.
      I'm convinced the problem is between his ears, and isn't one of ability, but for whatever reason, he just hasn't shown enough.
      So yeah, same as you if a decent offer comes in.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1692: Jul 22, 2016 11:43:51 am
      Will he be happy to sit on the bench as a 5th choice?
      And even then as a plan B to get some crosses into him Origi has shown he is more aggressive in attacking the ball.

There will be some mid to bottom table team desperate for him.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1693: Jul 22, 2016 11:47:03 am
      Why have we still got this thread???
      Come on Benteke, Take the hint and f^*k Off already... Move on we your life, and Let Liverpool FC move on with theirs...

If I was Benteke I would feel too ashamed to stick around at a club where I knew that i was not good enough to be at, and more importantly the supporters knew that I was not good enough to be at... I would move on and try to reestablish myself elsewhere...
      We do need also ran's on the training ground, we need winners...Players that are strong mentally, players that hit the ground running, and can execute what the manager wants on the pitch... Players with Heart,fight,desire and a ruthless winning mentally,Not Players which are mentally fragile, that need mollycoddling, that need to be rapped in cotton wool, who needs the manager to put thier arms around their shoulders and say there,there... Players that can take a stinging criticism and go out there with the desire and the heart to do better there next time... Benteke is just a also ran 
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2016 12:00:40 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1694: Jul 22, 2016 12:54:19 pm

S@int there is not that many times that I totally disagree with you but this is one of them... To be honest, I have always felt that Benteke was the wrong type of player for the style of football that we play. I always said that we need to sign someone who was similar to Suarez, Javier Hernandez for instance. We could have had him for a third of what we paid for Benteke... Keeping Benteke would compound that mistakeā€¦

The time spend working with him could be better spent elsewhere, working with Ings,Mane,Origi,Firmino,Grujic, etc Players that will be called upon regularly that will make a difference in the coming campaign.

The youth players; Kent, Brannagan, Ojo, Stewart, Smith, Ejaria, Alexander-Arnold, Woodburn etc, that will be involved in many a campaign to come

We cannot behold on to a player that proves he does not fit the system, nor has the heart or desire to even try to fit that system in the hope that we my need him, when we already have so many other more capable options...

Keeping Benteke also send a message (I Believe) that once you make it to LFC you can just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour, your work is done, that youā€™re a officially a great player, when actually what you should be thinking is that you have to now step up a gear or two prove why you should be here...

Money wise... We paid some Ā£32m for Benteke and each week we keep him cost us between Ā£50-Ā£100K... If we keep him for another season that will have cost us between another Ā£7.5m - Ā£14m in wages alone... Even If we sell him at a loss on the initial lay out, lets say Ā£20m we should take it... By the end of this season, money wise Benteke would have cost us between Ā£39.5m - Ā£46m with very little or no return...

Both Like you and respect your views, and 99.9% I feel that you are spot on... Sorry mate I believe that this is that .1%
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2016 01:52:04 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #1695: Jul 22, 2016 04:08:59 pm
      i think we should give him another season
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1696: Jul 22, 2016 04:50:07 pm
      i think we should give him another season

It' OK saying give him another season but when does he get game time? He's currently 4th choice for a team with no European football that only uses 1 striker. It's hard to see where he's going to get sufficient playing time.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #1697: Jul 22, 2016 07:25:54 pm
      It' OK saying give him another season but when does he get game time? He's currently 4th choice for a team with no European football that only uses 1 striker. It's hard to see where he's going to get sufficient playing time.

I would have him 2nd choice Out n out striker personally. Sturridge is injury prone. If Sturridge is out or out of form Benteke is his competition. Ings had a bad injury and is on the comeback so he's debatable. If Origi has a bad couple of games the 'Not world class' brigade are gonna bury the kid. Origi and Ings have also been employed as widemen. Firmino is too slow up front. Origi, Ings and Firmino have never been prolific strikers. If we sell Benteke we in the very least should be in the market for another striker as competition for Sturridge.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1698: Jul 22, 2016 07:41:28 pm
      I would have him 2nd choice Out n out striker personally.

Were not set up to play to his strengths and the manager does not want to play him so what's the purpose of hanging on to somebody that has zero future at the club.

As far as Firmino goes...most of his goals last year was when he was playing up front and the striker....11 in 16 matches is not a bad return.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #1699: Jul 22, 2016 10:14:23 pm
      Were not set up to play to his strengths and the manager does not want to play him so what's the purpose of hanging on to somebody that has zero future at the club.

As far as Firmino goes...most of his goals last year was when he was playing up front and the striker....11 in 16 matches is not a bad return.

we werent 'set up to play to his strengths' yet he still got goals.

to be fair, we weren't set up to play to any strikers 'strengths' tbh. We had no width. No pace from midfield.

Now we have an actual winger. Pace. He could be a different prospect with our new midfield. Just sayin'. I don't expect sturridge to be playing 30+ games. for 90 mins.

Firmino does have a good goal ratio ill give u that. But i geniunely think he is better in midfield. He has good touches and is clever.

i feel like benteke will improve with our more dynamic new midfield. he might actually flourish.
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2016 12:57:11 am by PastorGeek »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1700: Aug 05, 2016 05:30:05 pm
      paul joyce ā€@pjoyceexpress 3h3 hours ago

Klopp: Christian said it makes sense to go to another club. he is still a great striker. We have others. it makes sense for us to play them

;D :nod:

Couldn't have said it better JĆ¼rgen.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)
      Reply #1701: Aug 20, 2016 10:43:05 am

Quick Reply