Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163985 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #621: Nov 17, 2015 02:47:04 pm
      Benteke is not the problem, he's a good striker, its the lack of support he gets which is the worry, the other players have to start contributing more in terms of goals, that will then take the pressure and focus of Benteke.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #622: Nov 17, 2015 02:48:54 pm
      Brilliant and all as they were  :lmao: - I don't rate them anywhere nearly as good as Christian so Jürgen ["the best manager in the world"] has more material to work with. That's a good thing right?

I mean; can we have it both ways - Brendan was crap because he couldn't polish a turd but... ?  :-\

Anyhows... off to work - later.

:lmao:

fair enough mate, we'll settle for that ;D
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #623: Nov 19, 2015 03:16:52 pm
      he now needs to stay fully fit till end of the season as i think he can be brilliant for us, Klopp needs to manage his game time and start taking him off when we have  game won but when sturridge is back i think we might see some more rotation and origi might get more minutes.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #624: Nov 26, 2015 09:51:36 pm
      He's sh*t....    :roll:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #625: Nov 26, 2015 10:43:10 pm
      Won the penalty, had the ball in the net 3 times and regardless of only one counting, you can't ask for much more than that. Bit more luck and it would have been a hat trick.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #626: Nov 26, 2015 10:55:28 pm
      His general movement is still so poor but he bagged a couple so can't be too harsh on him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #627: Nov 26, 2015 10:56:41 pm
      His general movement is still so poor but he bagged a couple so can't be too harsh on him.

Please elaborate on the movement because I'm really not seeing what people are on about when I see this written.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #628: Nov 26, 2015 11:00:51 pm

That lad Borini had top class movement!! Never stood still for a second!!  Shame he couldn't seem to put the ball in the net.....
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #629: Nov 26, 2015 11:01:37 pm
      Brilliant strike tonight, that took us through to the next stage of the competition. That will do nicely for me thank you .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #630: Nov 26, 2015 11:02:36 pm
      Please elaborate on the movement because I'm really not seeing what people are on about when I see this written.

A long list but simply it's his lack of making runs to the near post to get in front of the defender or runs in behind. He will follow the ball rather than look for space to take defenders out.
      The incident where he runs in behind offside, does he not know how to bend his run to stay onside.

As long as he keeps scoring those deficiencies will not matter so much.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #631: Nov 26, 2015 11:04:42 pm
      That lad Borini had top class movement!! Never stood still for a second!!  Shame he couldn't seem to put the ball in the net.....

You want to see movement check out the front line v City and their movement now compare that today with Benteke.

Look I'm not saying Benteke is a bad player because he will score goals but he thrives on a certain style of play.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #632: Nov 26, 2015 11:11:32 pm
      A long list but simply it's his lack of making runs to the near post to get in front of the defender or runs in behind. He will follow the ball rather than look for space to take defenders out.
      The incident where he runs in behind offside, does he not know how to bend his run to stay onside.

As long as he keeps scoring those deficiencies will not matter so much.

But he's not that type of player. Why would he make runs in behind when he's better tight to his man, ball to feet and explode? Why would he nip in at the front post when he can win headers in the centre? Leave the running in behind and near post runs to the two other front players around, Benteke needs to be front and centre just like he was today.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #633: Nov 26, 2015 11:15:02 pm
      But he's not that type of player. Why would he make runs in behind when he's better tight to his man, ball to feet and explode? Why would he nip in at the front post when he can win headers in the centre? Leave the running in behind and near post runs to the two other front players around, Benteke needs to be front and centre just like he was today.

You serious with your question? Because that's what strikers do!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #634: Nov 26, 2015 11:15:23 pm
      Was a beast today, could have easily had 3. More of that please son.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #635: Nov 26, 2015 11:17:11 pm
      You serious with your question? Because that's what strikers do!

Lumping all strikers into one generic player that have to do specific things. Sound understanding of the game, top work.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #636: Nov 27, 2015 12:27:34 am
      You want to see movement check out the front line v City and their movement now compare that today with Benteke.

Look I'm not saying Benteke is a bad player because he will score goals but he thrives on a certain style of play.

While the movement  of our front 3 against City was good, it wasn't spectacular. City looked like a team that had never played together before.  I honestly can't remember watching a Premier League side defend so poorly. 

Bent eked may not be perfect. Ideally, he'd be a little faster, with better touch, better dribbling, and better passing ability.  However, he is damn good at doing his job, which is to put the ball in the back of the net.  I'll take that all day ;)
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #637: Nov 27, 2015 01:39:19 am
      Benteke has a serious look on his head and that to me is foremost in a striker. A cross between, concentration and anger.. perfect. He is definitely growing on me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #638: Nov 27, 2015 07:18:42 am
      Lumping all strikers into one generic player that have to do specific things. Sound understanding of the game, top work.

Strikers have a  basic role role to play just like defenders and midfielders, unfortunately it seems like you don't understand that concept.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #639: Nov 27, 2015 07:23:43 am
      Strikers have a  basic role role to play just like defenders and midfielders, unfortunately it seems like you don't understand that concept.
      You weren't describing a basic role of strikers. You were describing a style of play that you want Benteke to play. Your criticisms are fair but those are simply a different style of play that he is not well suited for
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #640: Nov 27, 2015 07:43:35 am
      You weren't describing a basic role of strikers. You were describing a style of play that you want Benteke to play. Your criticisms are fair but those are simply a different style of play that he is not well suited for

You might be right but things like bending your run to stay onside and running into space rather than towards your team mate with the ball are basics of forward play which he needs to improve.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #641: Nov 27, 2015 08:11:04 am

Trust me I do understand. You're giving Benteke square pegs to put in round holes by asking him to do what you're saying.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #642: Nov 27, 2015 08:19:19 am
      Trust me I do understand. You're giving Benteke square pegs to put in round holes by asking him to do what you're saying.

Not really mate just look at when we break on the counter Benteke rather than dragging defenders away from the man with the ball will run towards the ball runner and kill all the space.

If he can improve on those sort of aspects he would be unplayable.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #643: Nov 27, 2015 08:34:21 am
      Did brilliantly for his goal, could have had more though but scored the winner and what a goal it was, well in for that Big Ben.

Quick Reply