Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163852 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #1242: Feb 04, 2016 10:01:52 pm
      The thing is if our current boss spoke to our previous boss in a private capacity then it should stay private .

I don't think the entire conversation is about to be revealed. Maybe he was just trying to help and give him bit of an insight into the players already at the club? Either way, I don't think it's something to get worked up about.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #1243: Feb 05, 2016 01:50:21 pm
      He's a strong lad but never uses his strength, how is that the fault of his team mates?
      How is it his team mates fault that f**king Exeter, disrespect intended, are able to effectively marshal him out of 2 matches, or is that Klopp's fault perhaps?

His movement is terrible, his in game intelligence is terrible, his passing is terrible, his anticipation is terrible, his shooting is average, his commitment and passion is terrible, in summary HE IS TERRIBLE!

Spot on. Sell him for as much as possible in the summer window I say. Has shown no commitment to the cause IMO.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #1244: Feb 06, 2016 11:47:33 am
      Serious question - has he actuall scored a header for us this season?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1245: Feb 06, 2016 01:05:40 pm

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBkd8bA_u4
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #1246: Feb 09, 2016 05:48:57 pm
      So I've been cursing the fact he's been another Liverpool player that is an expensive dud.

But has anyone considered whether he'd work in a two striker partnership? I still think it's not good enough he can't deliver as a lone striker - particularly for all that money - but is there a possibility that his increasingly poor Liverpool career can somewhat be salvaged?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1247: Feb 09, 2016 05:58:49 pm

Against Southampton and Bournemouth.

Spot on. Sell him for as much as possible in the summer window I say. Has shown no commitment to the cause IMO.

I'd sell him, but to say he's not shown commitment to the cause is nonsense. In what ways has he not shown commitment?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #1248: Feb 09, 2016 05:59:20 pm
      So I've been cursing the fact he's been another Liverpool player that is an expensive dud.

But has anyone considered whether he'd work in a two striker partnership? I still think it's not good enough he can't deliver as a lone striker - particularly for all that money - but is there a possibility that his increasingly poor Liverpool career can somewhat be salvaged?

It's obvious he'd work well with a partner or at the very least some actual wingers (with pace) on both sides of a front 3.

But common sense and consideration are not welcome here.

This is a place where blind statements and knee jerking is the order of the day.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1249: Feb 09, 2016 06:00:40 pm
      He might get a chance tonight with Sturridge.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1250: Feb 09, 2016 06:01:13 pm

I think it would bring about improvement. It might give him some space which he clearly needs to bring the ball under control, I believe it would have to be someone more like Firmino than Sturridge though. For all his talent Sturridge is not the most industrious of workers and a 2 of them up top would just leave our midfield hopelessly exposed. Sure we might score a couple but we'd probably be on the back foot for the rest of the match too.

I'd much prefer to see Firmino/Sturridge as I believe both with possession have enough movement to scare any defence into giving our midfield space and off the ball Firmino can compensate for Sturridge's reluctance to press. Who knows though Klopp may have Sturridge pressing more than we've seen before, but I doubt that.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #1251: Feb 09, 2016 06:24:23 pm
      I think it would bring about improvement. It might give him some space which he clearly needs to bring the ball under control, I believe it would have to be someone more like Firmino than Sturridge though. For all his talent Sturridge is not the most industrious of workers and a 2 of them up top would just leave our midfield hopelessly exposed. Sure we might score a couple but we'd probably be on the back foot for the rest of the match too.

I'd much prefer to see Firmino/Sturridge as I believe both with possession have enough movement to scare any defence into giving our midfield space and off the ball Firmino can compensate for Sturridge's reluctance to press. Who knows though Klopp may have Sturridge pressing more than we've seen before, but I doubt that.

How lucky nt ago was it when Sturridge said he was ready? Christmas wasn't it? Hopefully he's been conditioned to Klopp's needs so he's a bit tougher now.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1252: Feb 09, 2016 10:26:13 pm
      I am going to get blasted for this but here it goes anyways.

I think Benteke showed some life today. In no way, shape or form am I saying he played good. He missed way too many opportunities that he should of had, should have had a hat trick. But, I thought his movement was better and he held the ball up pretty well. All of this happened after Origi and Sturridge came on. I think it benefits him when we play another striker up there with him.

Again, he still has a long way to go to prove he still belongs here but I think it is possible that he could turn things around. Would like to see him and Sturridge up top next game with a proper midfield and defense behind them and we will see how things go.

:couch:

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1253: Feb 09, 2016 10:28:52 pm
      I am going to get blasted for this but here it goes anyways.

I think Benteke showed some life today. In no way, shape or form am I saying he played good. He missed way too many opportunities that he should of had, should have had a hat trick. But, I thought his movement was better and he held the ball up pretty well. All of this happened after Origi and Sturridge came on. I think it benefits him when we play another striker up there with him.

Again, he still has a long way to go to prove he still belongs here but I think it is possible that he could turn things around. Would like to see him and Sturridge up top next game with a proper midfield and defense behind them and we will see how things go.

:couch:

I thought he played well too. His dribbling and link up play was really good tonight. He has to score at least one of the chances that he has though. Has to.

With all that being said, if we're playing two up front I'd still prefer to see Origi and Sturridge. I'd be selling Benteke in the summer.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1254: Feb 09, 2016 10:29:34 pm
      Needs a goal you can see the suffering in his face every time he doesn't score. Feel for him, yes he's well paid and should be doing much better but I'd love for it to come good for him
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1255: Feb 09, 2016 10:43:07 pm
      I wonder if he could score a one-on-one against Mignolet  :roll: :roll:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1256: Feb 09, 2016 10:48:10 pm
      I wonder if he could score a one-on-one against Mignolet  :roll: :roll:

Well he can't score an open goal from a few yards so I doubt it. Though it's hard to say which is the easier chance, the open goal or Mignolet.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1257: Feb 09, 2016 11:06:53 pm
      At the end of the day people can forgive his lack of movement and poor touch if he was clinical, unfortunately he is completely useless. He must be top of the league for chances missed.

I'm sure PastorGeek will be along soon to say how he was the MOTM!
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1258: Feb 10, 2016 12:14:07 am
      I thought he played well too. His dribbling and link up play was really good tonight. He has to score at least one of the chances that he has though. Has to.

With all that being said, if we're playing two up front I'd still prefer to see Origi and Sturridge. I'd be selling Benteke in the summer.

I would not mind seeing Origi and Sturridge as a pairing. But still, I think after we have shelled out a sh*t ton of money for Benteke he needs to be given a chance with another striker up top.

Worst case is that he is still sh*t and then we sell him on.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1259: Feb 10, 2016 02:13:07 am
      He is certainly working harder and really trying to get into the right positions and to create opportunities for himself.
      It was interesting also to see how happy he was to be paired up front with sturridge and Origi.
      He seemed to start to enjoy himself.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1260: Feb 10, 2016 06:36:41 am
      Send him to China.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1261: Feb 10, 2016 07:07:16 am
      IF he was scoring like we know he should be, we wouldn't need to be looking for another Striker in the Summer and could spend the money on other areas that actually need it but because he's not performing at all, we're almost forced to go looking for another striker which means we won't have enough money to fill other positions that desperately need reinforcing.

So Christian, get your sh*t together, you have 3 and a bit months to prove yourself to this Club and that you are worthy of playing in that famous Red Shirt. You could also go along way to saving the owners some dosh which I'm sure they will be happy with.

Start banging them in, starting with your old mob Villa on the weekend.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #1262: Feb 10, 2016 07:14:34 am
      Thought he linked up well and showed better movement but overall lacked the most important finishing to his play.  Now the problem seems a lack of confidence... but do we continue playing him in the hope it improves, or do we bench him again which could further hurt his confidence? 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1263: Feb 10, 2016 07:33:07 am
      He has done this all of his career, go on long stretches without scoring.

It wouldn't surprise me if he scored a hatful now in the next few games and people will go on about his 1 in 2 stats before his next drought.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1264: Feb 10, 2016 09:41:47 am
      Villa on Sunday could this be his rebirth as a goal scorer against his old team?.

Quick Reply