Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Reasons to be Positive about 2015-16

Read 7789 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Reasons to be Positive about 2105-16
      Reply #23: Jul 26, 2015 11:50:13 pm
      I actually expect us to finish 5th as it happens BUT that is a pre-season prediction and if the first few games suggest that Benteke works (and more importantly we still work as a side) then I will certainly find myself raising expectations. I guess that's what the thread is about really, that if a few things go our way we could be in a pretty decent place
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #24: Jul 26, 2015 11:59:42 pm
      Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you also saying that Brendan had taken us as far as we can and isn't the main difference between the end of last season and the beginning of this mostly time?

Now I'm not saying you're wrong for changing your tune but I am saying that it's more likely you're setting yourself for another fall where those who consistently say that things are broken and need fixing properly are being viewed as negative by those who generally allow themselves to be convinced without substance.

I did say that mate and at the time it's how I felt. I have never hidden the fact that I thought it was time to move Brendan on but once it was clear that wasn't happpening I think the club have acted swiftly and positively and everything that has happened this summer indictaes to me that lessons have been learnedall round and everyone at the club seems to have a clear focus for the plan for the season ahead.

As I've said a few times this summer I just don't have it in me to keep fuming oover things like others seem to as I like to get some enjoyment out of following the club and I think we have signed good players, the manager seems to have ideas to help us in a coaching capacity, the stadium is getting done and in general I like the way we have went about our business this summer.

I don't think I'm setting myself up for a fall because for one I think we may well surprise a few this season, our own supporters included, and also if we don't succeed then FSG have went 'all in' with the manager and at the end of this season there really will be no option but to make that change if things don't go to plan.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Jul 27, 2015 12:02:43 am
      Not sure I can wait that long. :D
      Nice OP though.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #26: Jul 27, 2015 12:10:14 am
      I don't think I'm setting myself up for a fall because for one I think we may well surprise a few this season, our own supporters included, and also if we don't succeed then FSG have went 'all in' with the manager and at the end of this season there really will beno option but to make that change if things don't go to plan.

While I agree with everything you said before this I believe this is the crux of the topic at hand. You're willing to lay your hopes, dare I say, above your expectations where others perhaps hope that we exceed our expectations but believe in their expectations above their hopes. While it might seem like they're almost identical I honestly believe that is a real difference that essentially encapsulates the divide between the two groups.

In answer to your 'all in', I'm personally not quite convinced about that. We've sold Sterling for £49m and bought what with it? I very much believe that unless there's a few more purchases that a plan B could be in place, that is for another thread entirely though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #27: Jul 27, 2015 12:28:20 am
      While I agree with everything you said before this I believe this is the crux of the topic at hand. You're willing to lay your hopes, dare I say, above your expectations where others perhaps hope that we exceed our expectations but believe in their expectations above their hopes. While it might seem like they're almost identical I honestly believe that is a real difference that essentially encapsulates the divide between the two groups.

In answer to your 'all in', I'm personally not quite convinced about that. We've sold Sterling for £49m and bought what with it? I very much believe that unless there's a few more purchases that a plan B could be in place, that is for another thread entirely though.

My hopes and expectations are always roughly the same mate and this summer isn't much different in that I hope we try and win the league, try and win some silverware and if all else fails finish as high as we can. My expectations are more or less the same as that.

As far as FSG going 'all in' I think they have in that they seem to have done everything the manager wants and needs for the season ahead. Just because you, I or anyone else maybe would buy other players with the money I think it's pretty clear FSG have backed the manager and got him his players this summer and add the fact Brendan was the man behind the backroom changes it seems to me FSG have went 'all in' with Brendan and his plan.

Like I said if it works all well and good but if it doesn't then anyone who really wanted Brendan out will probably only have to wait a year to get their wish.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: Jul 27, 2015 12:34:56 am
      My hopes and expectations are always roughly the same mate and this summer isn't much different in that I hope we try and win the league, try and win some silverware and if all else fails finish as high as we can. My expectations are more or less the same as that.

Fair enough Si, sometimes it's difficult to separate our hopes from our expectations but there should definitely be some differentiation. I'd personally set winning the league as my dreams, a cup or top 4 as my hope and 5th and no trophies as my expectation.

As far as FSG going 'all in' I think they have in that they seem to have done everything the manager wants and needs for the season ahead. Just because you, I or anyone else maybe would buy other players with the money I think it's pretty clear FSG have backed the manager and got him his players this summer and add the fact Brendan was the man behind the backroom changes it seems to me FSG have went 'all in' with Brendan and his plan.

Like I said if it works all well and good but if it doesn't then anyone who really wanted Brendan out will probably only have to wait a year to get their wish.

So not to derail this excellent thread I'll simply say that I believe they've held some money back, at the moment, for a rainy day while still accepting the points you put across mate.  ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #29: Jul 27, 2015 01:07:50 am
      2105-16. I feel like Buck Rogers, hopefully we have have won the the league by 2105 and I've just woken up from a time-warp sleep.

The only concern I have is the CB's and the bloke in front of them. That little triangle/square area between the CB and the last central midfielder. I know it's been stated time and time again that Rodgers doesn't 'do' a holding midfielder and all that jazz; but IMO he must. It's soft, it's there to be attacked and it really does need rectifying and NOT to do so IMO would be suicide.

I said way back that we needed a DM, but we seem to recruit AM and strikers and overlook this part constantly. I just wonder with the signing of Benteke we could play one up front and use a Rafa type formation. I know goals were our Achilles heel last season, but that will come with the players and striker(s) we now have. It's the other end where we lack steel.

Mignolet

Clyne          Skertel     Sahko      Gomez

Lucas     Milner

Ibe          Coutinho      Firminho

Benteke

I'd be happy with that kind of formation rather than having all the midfielders bar ONE running ahead of the ball and doing damage up the other end, like we seem to do. I think we should play an extra man deeper (like where Milner is alongside Lucas) to shore up that soft center.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #30: Jul 27, 2015 01:56:12 am
      I agree with Scott, there are a lot of things to look forward to.

For me sacking Pascoe and Marsh was a good decision. BR clearly saw them as the weak link and sorted that out. McAllister joining will prove to be a masterstroke.

We have moved quickly in the market and unlike last season, I cannot complain about any of the signings we have made. Good solid signings, a mixture of youth and experience, and the number one for me, Johnson has gone!

Good times ahead, onwards and upwards!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #31: Jul 27, 2015 04:11:46 am
      I don't see how you can look at the team going into this season and think it's going to be the same or worse than last year's effort.

Positives

--- I'm not particularly keen on Benteke, but he's miles ahead of Balotelli in my opinion. He's a better finisher, plays like he's actually a striker, and doesn't try hopeless shots from 40 yards out.

--- Firmino is a class act that's going to add flair, creativity and goals to the side. Last year it was Coutinho's tricks or Sterling's pace, and that was all we could rely on. Firmino's got a little of everything and is a better finisher than either of them.

--- Milner gets about the pitch like no one else -- and as much as we all love Stevie, his lack of mobility hampered whoever played beside him. Anytime it was Gerrard and Henderson, Gerrard and Lucas (shudders), Gerrard and Allen, one of them had to do the running of two men. No one can ever replace Stevie's ball-playing and sheer class as a player, but Milner makes us much more mobile and dynamic than with Gerrard. He's also severely underrated by some on here.

--- Clyne might not be the best RB in the league, but Lordy is he better than Johnson. Our RBs were so sh*t last year we had to play Can severely out of position.

--- Ings and Origi will be prove to be better bench strikers than Borini and Lambert (though I think everyone was very unfair on Rickie). Origi is very raw, but I can see him making an impact off the bench since he's got a perfect combination of size, strength and pace. The big difference between Borini and Ings is Ings adds a goal touch to his work rate, whereas Borini just kind of ran tirelessly.

--- Someone like Lallana is going to improve this year. For all the over-the-top criticism he received last year, it might be time to realize he scored the same number of league goals as Coutinho despite playing 1,000 less minutes and getting shifted around a bit. Add in that he didn't have a preseason and was unlucky with injury, etc.

Negatives

--- Lovren. I just don't see any big improvements in his game, and he's still very erratic at times and buckles under pressure. (And I don't mean an opposing player closing in on him, I mean in big games and when we're expected to win.) Even so, he can't possibly play any worse than last season, so that in and of itself is a slight improvement.

--- Skrtel. So damn erratic in a high line system and neither a leader nor an organizer. I really feel that if we're being honest with ourselves as a club, we'd have moved him on and brought in a top CB.

--- FB depth. Yeah Gomez looks good, but it's preseason. Outside of Clyne, our depth at FB is fairly weak. Flanagan is out for an even longer stretch, and while I don't think Moreno will play as poorly as last year, I'm not sure he'll ever became a top FB for English football, either. Enrique only exists in the digital realm.

--- Not playing a DM/not playing Lucas. Our record with Lucas vs without him is night and day. I fear we're going to often play without Lucas, which will leave an already erratic backline exposed even more -- especially if Brendan trots out a Lovren/Skrtel pairing.

--------

Overall, there are far greater things to optimistic about than there are negatives. And even some of these negatives ^^ are known quantities, so you'd think the coaching would be aware of these things and work to eliminate or best limit them.

Besides, being negative never gets you anywhere but the end of a ledge.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Reasons to be Positive about 2015-16
      Reply #32: Jul 27, 2015 08:31:26 am
      YAAAAASSSSS MON THE POSITIVISM !

More please. :-)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #33: Jul 27, 2015 10:09:41 am
      Hate to be "that guy" but that's an 11 year season...

obviously that means 380 extra games played abroad after the 1 extra was so lucrative

Don't forget the games on the moon
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #34: Jul 27, 2015 10:09:48 am
      Ooops !!! I think i took a wrong turn somewhere.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Jul 27, 2015 01:13:25 pm
      Even though we've got some tough away games in the first half of the season, it's not all bad.  If you break down the fixtures into blocks of 5 and aim for 2 points per game average which is usually enough to get into the Champions Leauge then it doesn't look so daunting.  There may be the odd block where we fall short of that target but then the following block gives us the opportunity to gain more than the 10 points.

Yes I do know I've not included any of the EL games and the travelling and playing Thursday/Sunday/Monday makes it tough but we have a strong enough and big enough squad now to rotate and rest players without weakening us like last season.

Stoke A
      Bournemouth H
      Arsenal A
      West Ham H
      Man Utd A

Norwich H
      Aston Villa H
      Everton A
      Spurs A
      Southampton H

Chelsea A
      Crystal Palace H
      Man City A
      Swansea H
      Newcastle A

West Brom H
      Watford A
      Leicester H
      Sunderland A
      West Ham A

Arsenal H
      Man Utd H
      Norwich A
      Leicester A
      Sunderland H

Aston Villa A
      Everton H
      Man City H
      Crystal Palace A
      Chelsea H

Southampton A
      Spurs H
      Stoke H
      Bournemouth A
      Newcastle H

Swansea A
      Watford H
      West Brom A
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #36: Jul 27, 2015 01:22:23 pm
      Love the finish to the season, if we are still in it after the chavski game we have a great chance of doing something.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #37: Jul 27, 2015 04:33:48 pm
      Nice OP and as usual, count me in. ;)
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #38: Jul 27, 2015 04:59:12 pm
      I'm going to take a slightly different approach. It's good to keep the good, the bad, and the ugly all in perspective. So:

Best moment of the summer (so far) - Signing our primary ST target Benteke

Biggest disappointment - Missing out on Depay

Reason to be optimistic - We have (on paper) two or more quality players in every position. This is probably the best squad depth we've ever had.

Reason to be sceptical - Many of the new recruits will require a bedding in period, and some (like Firmino) may find it difficult to adjust to the Prem.

Reason to be pessimistic - We have had a lot of change again this summer, while some of our rivals for the top 4 (Chelsea, Arsenal, and City) appear more settled, and the business United have done appears much better than our own (at least on paper).

Conclusion: I expect a real fight at the top end this season. If Studge and Benteke can both stay fit then we should have a good chance at a top 4 finish. If one or both have injury problems then we will likely struggle. United still seem the likeliest team to fall out of the top 4, with an injury to Rooney looking capable of derailing their ambitions. Arsenal could also struggle if Sanchez gets hit with a lengthy spell on the sidelines. At the very least, it should make for an interesting season!!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #39: Jul 27, 2015 05:47:45 pm
      There has been a fair amount of negativity in this place of late and I have certainly contributed to some of it (see the Benteke transfer thread for plenty of complaining) but as the season draws near it's my nature to think more positively about things despite having some reservations. So here are a few of my reasons for feeling Positive along with a good few, 'if's and 'maybes'.

1/ We've added starters to this squad. Last summer we definitely needed extra bodies to deal with playing in four competitions (remember we had a very small squad the year before) but the lads coming in were just that, extra bodies. It was a scatter gun approach that was ill thought out. This window there has been no hanging around, it feels like targets have been identified and the club have just gone out and got them. FSG take a bunch of stick (plenty of it from me) but everybody must have been impressed at the way we steamed in and nabbed Firmino. But not just him, I look at our transfers this summer and I'm guessing we are talking four first-team players in Milner, Firmino, Clyne and Benteke. We were shi...t last year. Put four new players in your starting line-up and you become a completely different side. Milner has settled quickly and already looks like he will give us a solid 7-8 out of 10 every week, I like Clyne a lot, I've watched a bunch of tape on Firmino and I believe he will be superb. More on Benteke later!

2/ if Benteke works we could be pretty decent yanno. Shedding off my doubts about the lad and the impact on our style of play. IF Brendan CAN get this guy moving, running channels, busting a gut, bullying defenders and pressing the ball we could be in a really good place. We know the lad can score goals, he can score all types, tap-ins, headers, long shots. If Brendan can merge some of his strengths WITH our quick passing, hight tempo approach we could be awesome as an attacking side. I think it will be difficult but if he gets it right......

3/ The new coaching staff. Brave move moving on Pascoe and Marsh. We all thought it was down to the owners but Brendan has come out and said it was his call. I like that he has done it, it's a gutsy decision. 4 new starters in the first 11 and a brand new coaching set-up. Let's see if it pays off.

4/ going back to those extra bodies we recruited last summer. I've got high hopes for two of them. I think we can all agree that Can shows a lot of promise. I still think he is a little overweight and would like to see him get about the pitch a bit quicker but he has all the attributes to play box to box or PERHAPS to play the sitting role (throwing in the odd rampaging dribble from deep) although I'm not sure his long-term future is at this spot. The 2nd is Adam Lallana. No pre-season last year and a few niggly injuries throughout the season, he showed some glimpses but not enough end product. He looks pretty sharp this pre-season and has grabbed himself a couple of goals. I don't think he'll start every game in the EPL but I fancy him to pay back a bit of the transfer fee this season.

5/ Jordan Ibe. Sky is the limit for this kid. If your old enough your good enough they say, well this kid is good enough. I'm very sorry to have seen Sterling go but this kid will have most reds forgetting Sterling (if they haven't already). I suspect Brendan will try and protect the kid by playing him off the bench but he will be too good to leave there. I bet he is a first team fixture by mid-season.

6/ more kids coming through. Really impressed with the youngster Gomez from Charlton. Won't be surprised to see him get a start at Stoke. Looks really promising, strong in the tackle, attacks the ball in the air and comfortable on the ball. Rossiter looks stronger this pre-season and is the one I'd tip to come through next, I like this kid (I think everybody does)

6/ The Gerrard effect. Who knows if it will be a good thing or not. Stevie was Captain of this club for so many years, I can't remember a player having the arm band for so long at any other club (Adams, Terry, Keane maybe?). Such an iconic player, He casted a pretty big shadow and maybe we will see a few players grow now that the responsibility is to be shared. Henderson appears to be the one who may benefit the most but it may have an effect on others in the side as well.

7/ The Roof! I know it's not intrinsically linked to the performance of the players this season but after years of talk, stadium designs and Texan Bullshi.....t its exciting to know that the stadium is finally getting bigger.

Onwards and upwards and roll on the new season you Redmen!

Great OP mate. I'm an ever optimist too - you have to be if you've watched us in the 80s and had to cope with the 90s.

I think the summer signings so far has been shrewd. I've always been impressed with Clyne and think he will be here long term, possibly follow in footsteps of Arbeloa and Finnan. Milner will provide that work ethic and experience we're going to lack since Stevie's departure. I'm genuinely looking forward to Firminho. It's always a bet with foreign recruits, but I think ourstyle will suit him, not to mention his link up play with Coutinho.

Benteke is probably the only "gamble". No point in going into the whole debate, people can check his thread, but IF the gamble pays off, I think we could be looking at a genuinely strong, scoring forward to provide some leadership up front. For me, he is the only gamble so far, but isn't every signing?

I think the Stevie comment is an interesting one. Whilst he is a legend and provided stability and leadership, I'm going to look upon his departure with positivity. I think Hendo can grow in his absence, and I also think we have some mentally strong characters on the pitch now.

We haven't got that player with the star appeal, I'd have loved it, but considering the business we have done, I'm quietly optimistic.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #40: Jul 28, 2015 07:08:24 am
      This is needed. We are quickly becoming the whineast fans ever. Seriously there are some fans now complaining about "not being able to fit all this talent, into the team".

We need a reality check. We support the best team in the world. Snap out of it and enjoy the ride.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #41: Jul 28, 2015 10:24:02 am
      I'm feeling pretty positive about the new season, certainly in the sense that I expect us to be significantly more competitive than last season anway.

Here's my predictions based on the players we've signed and a bestish case scenario.

Benteke: I hope he'll stay fit, score 26 goals in the Premiership and win the golden boot, he's certainly capable of it IMHO. Realistically he's likely to get injured at some point and take a little time to settle. If my life depended on it I'd go for 17 goals in the league.

Firmino: I hope he'll be at least 2/3 as good as the lads who've "been watching him since he was 11" say he is. If he is, he'll be about as good as Dennis Bergkamp was in his pomp at Arsenal. More realistically I expect he'll take a little time to settle and will turn out to be a good player.

Milner: No worries at all here. Our signing of the summer and our player of the year.

Clyne: I hope he instantly comes in and looks solid, I think he will.

Ings/Origi: I hope they instantly offer more than Balotelli, Borini and though it pains me to say it, Rickie Lambert. In fairness they could have signed me and achieved that, so I'm pretty confident here.

Older signings:

Sakho and the future captain. I'm hoping that we can cobble together a central defensive partnership which both looks solid and stays fit. My guess is it'll start off as being Skrtel and Sakho and I hope they can get it together. I've a slight hunch that by Christmas it may have morphed into Lovren/Sakho, but whoever it is we need a partnership that works.

Lallana: I hope we'll see a lot more of him changing games, here's hoping.

Can: More improvement needed, I hope he's leaving the currywurst alone over the summer.

Moreno and Markovic. I'm hoping one of them might develop to the point where we don't all facepalm when they get selected. Bit of an outsider this one though.

Based on all that, we'll finish fourth. The champions will be Arsenal, with Man City second and Chelsea third and ruing their failure to sign heavier in the summer. The Mancs will be fifth, one point behind us. It'll be the closest title race in history, all five top teams still being in with a shot with four games to go.   

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #42: Jul 28, 2015 11:59:08 am
      Based on all that, we'll finish fourth. The champions will be Arsenal, with Man City second and Chelsea third and ruing their failure to sign heavier in the summer. The Mancs will be fifth, one point behind us. It'll be the closest title race in history, all five top teams still being in with a shot with four games to go.

I'm putting this in my diary for May 2016 sir...just warning you ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #43: Jul 28, 2015 12:04:12 pm
      This is needed. We are quickly becoming the whineast fans ever. Seriously there are some fans now complaining about "not being able to fit all this talent, into the team".

We need a reality check. We support the best team in the world. Snap out of it and enjoy the ride.

Agree 100%.

I may be wrong but the amount of moaning just seems to be getting worse even after the most clinical transfer window under FSG and changes to the backroom that most were moaning for all season.

Maybe many are still pissed off Brendan didn't get the sack and just can't get over it?

I'm getting more and more upbeat by the day and I'm as excited about the season ahead as I have been under Brendan and FSG.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #44: Jul 28, 2015 12:42:59 pm
      Good opening post.

We need some of your yin to our yang.

Stadium development, although let's face it primarily aimed at the corporate market - is a step forward.

Liverpool look like they've bought better, although that wouldn't be hard after last season's purchases (typical Liverpool behaviour in a World Cup year).
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #45: Jul 28, 2015 01:05:02 pm
      I can understand why some aren't going overboard, after all we've had our hopes dashed so many times over the last 25 years but to have lost all hope when a new season beckons, I can't get my head round.

Quick Reply