Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pre-Match - Stoke V Liverpool 9 Aug 2015, KO: 16:00

Read 18649 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,689 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Pre-Match - Stoke V Liverpool 9 Aug 2015, KO: 16:00
      Aug 05, 2015 12:45:50 pm

Liverpool get the 2015-16 season underway with a trip to Stoke City on the Premier League's opening weekend.

The Reds return to the scene of their final-day 6-1 defeat last term aiming to get the new campaign off to a winning start.

Brendan Rodgers' side played six friendlies over the course of pre-season, winning five and drawing one.

Their last victory at the Britannia Stadium came in January 2014 when they ran out 5-3 winners.

Listen to every Reds game for free

Liverpool are about to kick off a brand new season as they get ready for 2015-16 - and you won't miss any of the action with our free audio commentary on Liverpoolfc.com.

Accessible from your desktop PC, mobile or tablet so you can listen anywhere, hear our totally 'biased and proud of it' coverage as Brendan Rodgers' charges tackle the campaign.

Join club commentator Steve Hunter and very special guests providing expert analysis at each and every first-team fixture.

So, if you can't make it to the game listen to our free commentary service featuring opinions from legends of the club's past like John Aldridge, Roy Evans, David Fairclough, Terry McDermott, Ronnie Whelan and Dietmar Hamann.

If you don't want to miss a kick, every debatable decision or some witty humour from a Kop hero every now and then, tune into our commentary service on Liverpoolfc.com.

Visit Liverpoolfc.com just before kick-off to hear the Reds in action for free this week.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Pre-Match - Stoke V Liverpool 9 Aug 2015, KO: 16:00
      Reply #1: Aug 05, 2015 12:47:02 pm
      Want to batter these bas**rds so much but realistically it's one of the toughest away fixtures in a season. I'll just be happy if we win.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Aug 05, 2015 12:51:41 pm
      Nervously, can't f**king wait. Want to batter these cu*ts for what they did to us in Stevies' last game.

Fire the f**k up lads and let's get off to a flyer!

P.S F**k off Charlie Adam and Crouchie ( not our Aussie Crouchie) as well.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3: Aug 05, 2015 12:54:06 pm
      The biggest problem we had last season was a lack of belief in ourselves. Looking around the changing room prior to kick of, and seeing the likes of Lallana, Benteke, Coutinho, Milner,Ibe, Firmino, Clyne, Lovren  :f_tongueincheek:, the players should be thinking they have no reason to fear anyone this season!

I want to see the same swagger we had in the 13/14 season, as we brush teams aside  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Aug 05, 2015 01:08:04 pm
      This game will tell an awful lot about our mentallity and attitude. In any sport at any grade at any age level you always want to avenge a bad defeat by the same opponent from the previous meeting.

Even though its only week 1 id be worried if we dont show a steely determination, obsessed, to beat these from the off
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #5: Aug 05, 2015 01:17:08 pm
      Id love a cricket score agaaint these F**k-faces.... but Id take a 0-1 deflected goal right now!!

come on you red men!!!
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #6: Aug 05, 2015 01:33:44 pm
      I'm counting on Benteke to be a right f@cking bully for us this year.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: Aug 05, 2015 01:49:54 pm
      I'm counting on Benteke to be a right f@cking bully for us this year.

And to stay fit!!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Aug 05, 2015 01:55:02 pm
      at last a proper match!!!. No need for any pre match motivational talks just a few of the press headlines should do the trick.
      We need to get stuck in from the start and play them off the park and score lots of goals. Its a new era.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #9: Aug 05, 2015 02:10:32 pm
      yesterday I had a dream that we won 0-1. The strange thing was that the scorer was Gerrard!
      what the hell does such an omen mean :o?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,689 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Aug 05, 2015 02:16:32 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11: Aug 05, 2015 02:19:30 pm
      Thank f**k football is back!

If it were up to me, I'd go with:

Mignolet
      Clyne        Skrtel      Sakho        Gomez
      Milner      Hendo
      Ibe           Firmino      Coutinho
      Benteke

But I get the feeling Lovren will start ahead of Sakho. Sigh.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #12: Aug 05, 2015 02:56:00 pm
      I think it'll be this:

Mignolet

Clyne    Skrtel    Lovren    Gomez

Milner  Henderson

Ibe               Coutinho          Lallana

Benteke

I havn't seen a minute of pre season so can't wait to see the lads on Sunday and while I think it'll be a tough game I do think we will win this one and by more than the odd goal.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #13: Aug 05, 2015 02:58:00 pm
      I'd go with a physical side that can go toe-to-toe with the thugs of Stoke.

Migs
      Clyne - Skrtel - Lovren - Moreno
      Milner - Hendo - Can
      Firmino - Coutinho
      Benteke

I think this side has enough size and strength to not get overrun by their physicality, but also enough skill and ability to play an attacking game and create chances if they sit deep.

I think BR will probably opt for Ibe and Lallana in place of Can and Firmino though.

In any case, we just need a positive performance and result. Doesn't matter who plays or what the score is as long as we bag 3 points.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Aug 05, 2015 03:06:47 pm
      We're playing away from home, so I'd like us to be sensible and play Lucas and Sakho :)

Clyne, Skrtel, Sahko, Gomez
                     Lucas
               Hendo   Milner
                   Coutinho
            Benteke   Firmino

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Aug 05, 2015 03:21:01 pm
      Tough start at Brittania as always, love to see us batter Stoke but I'd settle for Scrappy 0_1,

I doubt Brendan will throw Firmino in against these fuckers straight away but I can see him playing Benteke, so I'd be tempted to play thus....

Mignolet
      Clyne Skrtel Lovren Moreno
      Henderson                   Milner
                          Coutinho
      Ibe.           Benteke.      Lallana

Bench ; Bogdan , Gomez, Sakho, Lucas, Can, Ings, Firmino

433, with Coutinho pulling the strings, ably backed by Lallana & Ibe, attack at will with the philosophy being we'll score more than them, Hendo & Milner protecting the back 4 whilst linking up with Coutinho, Ibe and Lallana, feed the beast and he will score,

1_3 Redmen, Benteke X2, Lallana

YNWA
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #16: Aug 05, 2015 03:32:26 pm
      I think it'll be this:

Mignolet

Milner  Henderson

Benteke

I havn't seen a minute of pre season so can't wait to see the lads on Sunday and while I think it'll be a tough game I do think we will win this one and by more than the odd goal.

I agree mate, I think that will be the team as well. I don't think we will see Firmino start until he has a bit more fitness under his belt and it would be a risk to play him, Coutinho and Bentek from the start given they were all late back to training. Personally I would like to see Lucas in the side but I think it will be Hendo and Milner sitting in front of the back four. Lallana has a had a pretty solid pre-season and deserves to start, sales goes for Ibe who has been terrific. I am nervous to see Lovren ahead of Sakho but let's see how he goes.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #17: Aug 05, 2015 03:35:34 pm
      Can't really say the opening game of the season is a 'must win' but we certainly need to put in a good performance after what happened in the last game of the season. Anything less is inexcusable and will get me worried for the months ahead.

Ibe has to start for me, done enough in pre season to deserve it and I think his sheer pace will give Stoke problems. Can't see Firmino starting this one so it gives someone (probably Lallana) a chance to stake his claim for a regular place. Considering the Helsinki line up I'd expect:

Mignolet; Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Gomez; Milner, Henderson, Coutinho; Ibe, Benteke, Lallana.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #18: Aug 05, 2015 03:40:59 pm
      I think it'll be this:

Mignolet

Milner  Henderson

Benteke

I'm liking your team Si but I don't think Brendan will risk young Gomez against this lot,  it's why I've put in Moreno in simply for his experience, Gomez offers far more than Alberto does for me and has a very bright future, I'm using the same thinking regarding Firmino but also his lack of game time has to be considered, not averse to bringing him on for the last 20 or so just so he can taste the atmosphere and sample the pace of the Epl,

For what I've seen of pre season I've been quite impressed and like you I can see us bagging the 3pts, Cmon Redmen !

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #19: Aug 05, 2015 03:42:44 pm
      Will be interesting how the lads respond to the worst PL humiliation in our history.
      From all the pre season games played looks like Lovren will partner Skrtel, which doesn't really fill me with confidence.
      Benteke and Firmino look like they are not fit enough for the full 90 so hopefully we grab a couple of goals before the big man is substituted.

Shame I will miss the first the first game of the season as I doubt there will be much reception in Yosemite national park.
      Can't really make a prediction its a toss of a coin due to last season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Aug 05, 2015 03:55:01 pm
      I think it'll be this:

Mignolet

Milner  Henderson

Benteke

I'd say you're not far off with that Si although I'm still holding out hope that Sakho will start  ;)

I don't think we've much to fear from them, even though it'll be a tough game because they're usually very organised but I think we've got too much for them to beat us. 

I've gone for a 3-1 win to the Redmen  ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Aug 05, 2015 03:56:24 pm

I'm liking your team Si but I don't think Brendan will risk young Gomez against this lot,  it's why I've put in Moreno in simply for his experience, Gomez offers far more than Alberto does for me and has a very bright future, I'm using the same thinking regarding Firmino but also his lack of game time has to be considered, not averse to bringing him on for the last 20 or so just so he can taste the atmosphere and sample the pace of the Epl,

For what I've seen of pre season I've been quite impressed and like you I can see us bagging the 3pts, Cmon Redmen !

YNWA

Gomez or Moreno will be up against Glen, either will be good enough Billy  ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #22: Aug 05, 2015 04:21:32 pm
      Gomez or Moreno will be up against Glen, either will be good enough Billy  ;D

You know what Debs, I forgot he'd gone to them, but yep, you are correct, as usual, either will be good enough, and your score prediction is bang on also, great minds and all that eh !

YNWA

Quick Reply