Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Channel 5: Football League Tonight

Read 2295 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Channel 5: Football League Tonight
      Aug 08, 2015 09:15:36 pm
      For anybody that didn't know, Channel 5 now present the highlight show for the football league. After 10 minutes of watching I don't think I can watch anymore, it's so cringeworthy. They've basically tried to copy Sky Sports with having fans in the studio but it's painful on the eyes. Anybody else attempting to watch it?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Re: Channel 5: Football League Tonight
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2015 09:49:35 pm
      For anybody that didn't know, Channel 5 now present the highlight show for the football league. After 10 minutes of watching I don't think I can watch anymore, it's so cringeworthy. They've basically tried to copy Sky Sports with having fans in the studio but it's painful on the eyes. Anybody else attempting to watch it?

Just noticed this.

Looks sh*t.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Aug 08, 2015 09:51:53 pm
      To be honest I wasn't much a fan of the Football League show on BBC partly because it was on so late and that it followed MOTD. Bit like the support act FOLLOWING the main act on stage. It's good that Channel 5 have it on earlier and George Riley and Kelly Cates are consummate pros in sports broadcasting so they've at least got that right.

But get rid of the studio audience - and that goes for Sky Sports as well! I don't know why sports programmes feel the need to have a bunch of gormless souls standing around like spare pricks at a wedding. The BBC were rightly slammed for revamping their Wimbledon highlights programme with something quite awful that included this very thing. The shitstorm surrounding it (and the infantilising of a programme that was more than professional and competent under John Inverdale) caused the BBC to pretty much revamp to the old Today at Wimbledon format. It isn't Top Gear for god's sake! That was a programme that could get away with it because it was a genuinely brilliantly made show and the presenters themselves were the attraction but these sports shows doing it is just naff.

gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2015 09:55:27 pm
      Stuck with it, but it's crap, very poor.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #4: Aug 08, 2015 09:57:14 pm
      To be honest I wasn't much a fan of the Football League show on BBC partly because it was on so late and that it followed MOTD. Bit like the support act FOLLOWING the main act on stage. It's good that Channel 5 have it on earlier and George Riley and Kelly Cates are consummate pros in sports broadcasting so they've at least got that right.

But get rid of the studio audience - and that goes for Sky Sports as well! I don't know why sports programmes feel the need to have a bunch of gormless souls standing around like spare pricks at a wedding. The BBC were rightly slammed for revamping their Wimbledon highlights programme with something quite awful that included this very thing. The shitstorm surrounding it (and the infantilising of a programme that was more than professional and competent under John Inverdale) caused the BBC to pretty much revamp to the old Today at Wimbledon format. It isn't Top Gear for god's sake! That was a programme that could get away with it because it was a genuinely brilliantly made show and the presenters themselves were the attraction but these sports shows doing it is just naff.

Agree on Kelly and George. A bit of a rethink and bin the stupid audience and they could make a good show.

I actually didn't mind the Football League Show bening on after MOTD as my missus usually likes to watch some TV before I take over for the footie so I'm unlikely to see much of this new show even if they did improve it.

Martin Allen is terrible as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Aug 08, 2015 09:59:36 pm
      Agree on Kelly and George. A bit of a rethink and bin the stupid audience and they could make a good show.

I actually didn't mind the Football League Show bening on after MOTD as my missus usually likes to watch some TV before I take over for the footie so I'm unlikely to see much of this new show even if they did improve it.

Martin Allen is terrible as well.

Yeah this Martin Allen (Barnet manager who has popped in as a studio guest) segment is awful.

Riley: 'Ok here's the action - take us through it'
      Allen: '.......What do you want me to say?'

Errrrr. Imagine if a President or Prime Minister went on tv being asked to justify a case for war and his answer was 'What do you want me to say?'
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #6: Aug 08, 2015 10:04:34 pm
      Look at these bellends behind Kelly. ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Aug 08, 2015 10:13:36 pm
      Look at these bellends behind Kelly. ;D

Christ, you can just see the look of despair in her eyes.

'Why do I have to talk to these people...like getting blood out of a stone here' they suggest.

Don't worry lads...Alan Shearer will be spilling his wisdom on today's action in a few minutes over on BBC 1. Hoooray!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #8: Aug 08, 2015 10:20:10 pm
      Christ, you can just see the look of despair in her eyes.

'Why do I have to talk to these people...like getting blood out of a stone here' they suggest.

Don't worry lads...Alan Shearer will be spilling his wisdom on today's action in a few minutes over on BBC 1. Hoooray!!

Just seen it's Shearer and Murphy.

Jesus F***ing wept.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Aug 08, 2015 10:31:08 pm
      Erm......errrrrrrm.

Well this has been the perfect launch night for 'Football League Tonight'.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #10: Aug 08, 2015 10:31:36 pm
      Erm......errrrrrrm.

Well this has been a perfect launch night for 'Football League Tonight'.

Holy sh*t. ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Aug 08, 2015 11:21:43 pm
      Sounds like I missed a great show  :roll:

It's frustrating because I usually enjoy watching the football league highlights.

Quick Reply