Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Memories of Titi Camara

Read 4158 times
      darlingkevin
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 8 posts |
      Memories of Titi Camara
      Aug 17, 2015 05:52:18 pm
      Hello there.

I'm writing an article about Titi Camara (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at Anfield. Also any personal memories/anecdotes you have of meeting him/seeing him around town - stuff like that.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website next week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be.

Cheers,
      Kevin
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2015 07:05:40 pm by JD »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Memories of Titi Camara
      Reply #1: Aug 17, 2015 10:49:41 pm
      Dat West Ham goal
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2: Aug 17, 2015 11:02:16 pm
      Of all the cult heroes, where does he rank? He must be pretty high - popular player and character with the fans.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3: Aug 17, 2015 11:04:24 pm
      Saw him get a last minute winner at QPR. John Barnes dink through and a decent Titi finish. 1-0 win which was lucky as they battered us, days in the away end when that happens are gold.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2015 12:38:42 am
      The winner against Arsenal at the old Highbury.

Great ball through by Gerrard, Titi running on to it and placing it past Seaman. Took us above Arsenal if I remember rightly and back in the mix for the title.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2015 03:02:45 am
      Scored a good goal at Anfield against Bradford City, the Arsenal goal as mentioned by DLS, the goal and celebration after scoring against West Ham, his song - remember a fair few renditions of that around town after a drunken night out :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2015 04:59:21 am
      Love me some Titi's.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2015 10:24:46 am
      I would also go with the winner against Arsenal, but the one thing that stood out about him was he seemed to play each game with great enthusiasm and a smile on his face.
      We had some crazy short term "wonders" back then hey...who remembers Ronny Rosenthal? Another strange one :)
      darlingkevin
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 8 posts |
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2015 03:27:37 pm
      what was the song for him?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2015 06:18:57 pm
      Saw him get a last minute winner at QPR. John Barnes dink through and a decent Titi finish. 1-0 win which was lucky as they battered us, days in the away end when that happens are gold.
      You just cant best a decent Titi finish Mick , the one he raced onto and slotted past Seaman hsd me jumping around mams living room , cracker that one .

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2015 06:19:55 pm
      Arsenal winner
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 19, 2015 08:30:50 pm
      Gary Lineker on MOTD after his debut saying that 'Camara has no negatives'.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #12: Aug 19, 2015 09:36:27 pm
      Anyone got any clips ?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Aug 19, 2015 09:55:48 pm
      https://youtu.be/QrIBco2hgpI

Remember him being a real cult hero back then, and being disappointed when he left.
      darlingkevin
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 8 posts |
      Reply #14: Aug 20, 2015 04:22:28 pm
      Thanks for help guys - here is the Titi Camara piece published!

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-past-titi-camara-115436987.html
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #15: Aug 20, 2015 06:19:55 pm
      Cult Heroes: Titi Camara
      IF you”re unfortunate enough to work in a customer-focused job, you”ve probably heard a beaut in a suit talking about “going the extra mile”.

It”s cringeworthy corporate speak for a pencil pusher making an extra phone call or working through their dinner hour. Heroic stuff. For Titi Camara, “going the extra mile” was playing for Liverpool Football Club hours after finding out his father had died.

Not only that, he scored the winner that day in 1999, sinking to his knees with tears in his eyes after sinking West Ham with the only goal of the game at the Anfield Road end. I wouldn”t mind betting there was a few on the Liverpool staff with “something in their eye” that day. It was only later everyone else who had been in the ground realised what had gone on when Gerard Houllier told the press.

It”s easy to get cynical about modern-day footballers. In fact, it”s compulsory. Too many in recent years have been happy to pull on the red shirt, go through the motions, then drive back to the mansion in the gas guzzler knowing their bank account has been swelled by another chunk of their phone number salary.

But Titi Camara – in that one moment – guaranteed himself a place in many a Red heart, proven by his 91st position in the 2006 LFC website poll 100 Players Who Shook The Kop. That”s not bad for a player who was only at the club for 18 months and played 30-odd games.

Camara was a £2.6m buy from Olympique Marseille in June 1999. Back then – before the internet became omnipresent – players could be branded “an unknown”. No YouTube clips. No Tweets. No journalist from the player”s country squeezed for knowledge. No-one had heard of Titi. Some said he”d been sh*t in the UEFA Cup Final and that was about it.

Early speculative reports suggested he”d be little more than a bench player. And let”s be honest, he looked more like a boxer. But the man from Guinea with the infectious smile clearly had no plans to twiddle his thumbs as a sub.

Most footballers need a settling-in period when they first pass through The Shankly Gates. They might take the easy option and get a few 6 out of 10 performances under their belts before trying the fancy stuff.

Not Titi. It was overhead kicks, Cruyff turns, backheels, outrageous flicks and tricks and cannonball shots from the get go.

On the flip side, there was plenty of moments of squandered possession and wasted chances. As time ticked on it became more the latter than the former and Houllier increasingly used him on the wing rather than up front before later signing Emile Heskey – the beginning of the end for Camara.

Jamie Carragher perfectly summed up Titi”s up-and-down Reds career: “When he first came, the first three or four months, we all thought what have we got here – Pele? Every time you gave him the ball he was flicking it over someone”s head or scoring some great goals. Unfortunately it went a bit pear shaped for him towards the end.”

It did. But let”s start with the good bit.

It was the first day of the season. Away at Sheffield Wednesday. Liverpool – fielding six new players including Titi (Sander Westerveld, Erik Meijer, Vladimir Smicer, Dietmar Hamann and Sami Hyypia were the others) – had looked disjointed at times but had been the better side.

Gerard Houllier had said before the match it was a game that would be more about character. It was quickly clear Camara was one of them. He was pacy, strong and unpredictable.

Chances had come and gone for both Camara and Robbie Fowler before Robbie put the Reds ahead on 75 minutes. Nine minutes later another effort from the Toxteth Terror was parried into the path of Titi and he stuck in the rebound with his left foot as Liverpool went on to win 2-1. Not bad for starters.

At Anfield the love-in quickly began. Camara clearly took great joy from taking the piss out of defenders, his combination of mad tricks and brute strength proving tough to tackle.

The fans were onside – more so when he developed a habit of acknowledging every time his song was sang by The Kop (even during a game). But it was on his travels, in Yorkshire again, where Titi notched his second for the club – a cracker against Leeds. After an attempted pass to Patrik Berger had been cut out by Lucas Radebe on the edge of the box the ball fell back to Camara who thumped a curling shot past Nigel Martyn. If you don”t remember it or haven”t seen it, Google it. It”s well worth a look.

So too, is his wonderful turn, burst of pace and finish against Bradford at Anfield in November 99, or his turn and top corner 20 yarder a month later at home to Coventry. He also nicked the winner against Arsenal at Highbury, coolly lifting his finish over David Seaman after a great ball from Steven Gerrard.

Camara ended the season with 10 goals under his belt after starting 24 games and coming on as a substitute in 13. Stats not to be sniffed at. And stats, unfortunately, that were never to be improved upon.

It seemed Camara and Houllier hadn”t been seeing eye to eye for a while (not uncommon for Houllier and his players it has to be said). Titi appeared on the bench in a UEFA Cup game against Slovan Liberec in October 2000 but despite being told to warm up a few times he never got the nod for a cameo appearance.

And that was that. In went the transfer request and Houllier fumed at length about Camara before he left: “Titi got injured at half-time in the pre-season friendly with Parma on August 12th. He is the only player I know who has got injured without playing.

“The injury was so bad that he could only come back seven weeks later. I don’t know what kind of injury he had. So his first game for us was on October 2nd against Manchester United reserves and then he went away to play an international match in Guinea.

“He came back on October 11th and then we played three games against Derby, Leicester, and Slovan Liberec. He was not involved in the first two but was on the bench for the game with Liberec. The following day he came to see me and said that he did not want to play for Liverpool and that he wanted to leave. If he doesn’t want to play for Liverpool and wear the red shirt, then that’s it.”

It was. Camara left for West Ham where he flopped spectacularly, failing to find the net in 14 games.

In 2003 he took his box of tricks to Saudi Arabia. A hat-trick in his second game saw him rewarded by three luxury cars and a bed in the presidential suite at Jeddah Meridien Hotel where he had servants, drivers and security staff on call 24 hours a day.

Titi told the Sunday Mirror: “It was a fantastic opportunity for me to play football but I never imagined it would prove so lucrative. Some of my West Ham team-mates have had a few laughs at my expense but I”m living like a king out here.

“They would be pig-sick if they could see me out here. Every time I feel sorry for myself I just take a look at my standard of living and count my money. I”m playing football and I”m loaded.”

After a spell in Qatar, Titi finished his football career back in France with Amiens. These days, aged 39, he”s the Sports Minister of Guinea. A suitably mad fact for a mad player.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/11/cult-heroes-titi-camara/
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #16: Aug 20, 2015 06:21:43 pm

Blast from the Past: Titi Camara

Few players in Premier League history made such contrasting impacts at their different clubs as Titi Camara, the former Liverpool and West Ham striker.

At Anfield, the Guinean remains a cult hero remembered with affection and respect. At West Ham, he is so deeply unpopular that the mere mention of Camara’s name still makes many Hammers fans involuntarily unleash a volley of terrible swear words.

So how can one man divide opinion in such emphatic fashion?

Camara signed for the Reds from Marseille for £2.5m in the summer of 1999 and made an instant impression, scoring the winner on his debut with a 25-yard strike against Sheffield Wednesday. It prompted Gary Lineker to quip on Match of the Day, “Camara has no negatives”, a joke you couldn’t do on TV these days because younger viewers would be too confused.

The goals continued in Camara’s first few months at Anfield, with Jamie Carragher even comparing him - and we kid you not - to Pele. “Every time you gave him the ball he was flicking it over someone’s head or scoring some great goals,” said the former club captain after Camara was voted 91st by the club’s fans in a list of 100 players who “shook the Kop”.

“The one thing that stood out about him was he seemed to play each game with great enthusiasm and a smile on his face,” recalled one fan on the LFC Reds forum.

But it would be Camara’s tears that would endear him eternally to the Liverpool faithful. In October 1999, after scoring a late winner at Anfield against West Ham, the striker fell to his knees and cried. Unbeknownst to the crowd, Camara’s father had died the previous day. As Gerard Houllier’s only fit striker at the time, Camara had insisted on playing.

The player’s second season on Merseyside was less accomplished, and he was demoted to the reserves before being sold to West Ham in December 2000 for £1.5m. After being handed a lucrative long-term contract, Camara declared that he had come to Upton Park to “score, score, score”. Over the following three years he enjoyed a variety of interesting experiences in east London, but scoring was not one of them.

Not that he didn’t have the chances. Stories are legion of Camara’s attempts to break his duck. 

“I recall him trying an overhead kick at Upton Park once and he missed the ball completely,” said one fan, with others remembering when Camara “missed from 10 yards against Forest” or “swung at the ball wildly and completely missed it” against Oldham or “blazed the ball so high over the bar and stand that it probably hasn’t landed yet” at Leicester.

“A fat fraud” was how one Hammers fan on the Westhamonline site succinctly summarised Camara, whose physique was often cited as the reason for his failure to recapture his early Liverpool form.

Always on the ‘beefy’ side even during his purple patch at Anfield, Camara’s frame appeared even more substantial in his West Ham days.

“A man who obviously liked his burger and chips” was how one Hammers fan put it, while another recalled him sporting an XXL-sized kit during a match. Camara is especially noted by West Ham fans for his “not inconsiderable backside”, described by one supporter as being “like a rucksack” and possibly explaining why he once entered the field wearing “a huge over-sized pair of white shorts”.

“He made me cringe every time I saw him wear our shirt and when he missed another sitter I just wanted to smack him around the face and get him away from my club,” is the publishable version of Camara’s career highlights submitted by one Hammer, who got his wish when the player left England for the Saudi league in 2003. 

After retiring in 2006, Camara briefly moved into politics as Guinea’s sports minister, but he most recently made headlines by announcing on Twitter that he would be signing copies of his new book at a Greggs bakery in Liverpool. Sadly for any West Ham fans who made the journey north to greet him, it turned out to be a hoax.

Quick Reply