Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pre Match: Arsenal V Liverpool (24th Aug 2015 - 8pm)

Read 23660 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Pre Match: Arsenal V Liverpool (24th Aug 2015 - 8pm)
      Aug 20, 2015 02:58:21 pm

Midfielder Adam Lallana says Liverpool have devised a plan to come away with the win when they take on Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Monday.

The Merseyside club have won both their Premier League games this season and England international Lallana says manager Brendan Rodgers will be looking to take all three points against their North London rivals as well.

"The manager will set us up to get a result there," the Evening Standard quoted the 27-year-old as saying.

"We've had two clean sheets in two games and we'll be looking for a third on Monday night. We're going there to try to get the win," Lallana added.

The Gunners trounced Liverpool 4-1 in last season's corresponding fixture but Lallana says the Reds will have a strategy to ensure that history does not repeat itself this time around.

"We'll go to Arsenal with a gameplan to keep this run going," he said. "We've got a full week to prepare for Arsenal now. Hopefully we can go there and put on a good show."

Liverpool beat Stoke City 1-0 in their Premier League opener and followed that up by beating Bournemouth by the same score at Anfield on Monday after new signing Christian Benteke turned in Jordan Henderson's cross midway through the first half.

Lallana was full of praise for the 24-year-old Belgian, who joined Liverpool from Aston Villa for £32.5m in the close season.

"It was a real poacher's finish. It was a great ball in from Hendo and Benteke is a predator in the box," he said.

"He's a big presence up there. He's great in the air and good with his feet. He brings team mates into play."

If I was tyold at the start of the season we would take six points from our opening three games I think I would have been satisfied enough so in that way I won't be too disheartened if we lose here. However, after being heavily beaten at the Emirates last season hopefully we can put that right Monday. I would go with assuming all players are fit:

Mignolet

Clyne    Skrtel    Lovren   Gomez

Can
                    Henderson  Milner

Ibe           Benteke      Coutinho

I'm predicting a 1-1 draw which would be a brilliant result. COME ON REDMEN!!!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Re: Pre Match: Arsenal V Liverpool (24th Aug 2015 - 8pm)
      Reply #1: Aug 20, 2015 03:10:02 pm

Midfielder Adam Lallana says Liverpool have devised a plan to come away with the win when they take on Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Monday.

The Merseyside club have won both their Premier League games this season and England international Lallana says manager Brendan Rodgers will be looking to take all three points against their North London rivals as well.

"The manager will set us up to get a result there," the Evening Standard quoted the 27-year-old as saying.

"We've had two clean sheets in two games and we'll be looking for a third on Monday night. We're going there to try to get the win," Lallana added.

The Gunners trounced Liverpool 4-1 in last season's corresponding fixture but Lallana says the Reds will have a strategy to ensure that history does not repeat itself this time around.

"We'll go to Arsenal with a gameplan to keep this run going," he said. "We've got a full week to prepare for Arsenal now. Hopefully we can go there and put on a good show."

Liverpool beat Stoke City 1-0 in their Premier League opener and followed that up by beating Bournemouth by the same score at Anfield on Monday after new signing Christian Benteke turned in Jordan Henderson's cross midway through the first half.

Lallana was full of praise for the 24-year-old Belgian, who joined Liverpool from Aston Villa for £32.5m in the close season.

"It was a real poacher's finish. It was a great ball in from Hendo and Benteke is a predator in the box," he said.

"He's a big presence up there. He's great in the air and good with his feet. He brings team mates into play."

If I was tyold at the start of the season we would take six points from our opening three games I think I would have been satisfied enough so in that way I won't be too disheartened if we lose here. However, after being heavily beaten at the Emirates last season hopefully we can put that right Monday. I would go with assuming all players are fit:

Mignolet

Can
                    Henderson  Milner

I'm predicting a 1-1 draw which would be a brilliant result. COME ON REDMEN!!!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

Good OP

We need to take the West Ham blueprint and load the midfield and hope to hit them on the break, so it's imperative we force Arse to attack from wide out. With The pace of Clyne and Gomez I would be confident in any 1v1 situations.
      With this in mind I would swap Ibe to the opposite wing his pace will help Gomez as I can see Wenger targeting our left side. Moreno might also be a option here.
      Lovren also needs to stay much closer to Gomez and not go walk about.

In midfield I would have Hendo as the pivot as Can is not disciplined enough to play that role and also too slow on the turn.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: Aug 20, 2015 03:19:27 pm
      Another chance for revenge on a poor result last season, draw minimum.

But I really fancy us to win this.

If hendo is out, can see Lucas being drafted in, and Can playing instead of Lallana.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Aug 20, 2015 03:36:57 pm
      In midfield I would have Hendo as the pivot as Can is not disciplined enough to play that role and also too slow on the turn.

If hendo is out, can see Lucas being drafted in, and Can playing instead of Lallana.

Rodgers saying Can can play the holding/controlling midfielder role, we are 2 games into the PL season and Can is probably fitter than Lucas, so I think he should throw him in at the deep end if he's serious about it. Will definitely be good experience vs exceptional/world class players. I just want to see what the fuss is about and why so many of our fans think he can play there.

American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #4: Aug 20, 2015 03:40:48 pm
      Hopefully the plan Lallana is talking about includes not starting Lallana.  >:D

But seriously, as much as I would love to see Can, Firmino, Sakho, and maybe even Moreno get slotted into our lineup, I can't blame Brendan if he leaves us completely unchanged. We've been getting good results, it's tough for a manager to justify changing a good chunk of the squad when they've been successful - even if by the skin of their teeth.

Being said, I think Ibe and Lallana (barring a few moments) have definitely struggled to live up to expectations through the first couple games, so hoping Firmino comes in for at least one of them at the start.

Think this is going to be a tough battle though. But all of their players are capable of being beaten easily. Not many of them are multi-dimensional in terms of skill sets. For example, the midfield of Ramsey, Coquelin, Cazorla, and Ozil lacks strength and I think would struggle against a bit of physicality. Anyways, I'm sure Brendan's got everything figured out.

Key matchup that I'm looking forward to will be Clyne vs. Alexis Sanchez. Both of them very quick, strong to stay up, and talented on the ball. Clyne really needs to dominate this lineup as well because if Alexis breaks through him, our center backs may struggle with that pace and skill coming at them with no protection.

Can't wait for this match. Hopefully Hendo is fit enough and everyone is on their top game. Taking three points from this fixture would be massive for everything, especially the confidence of our team.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #5: Aug 20, 2015 04:07:04 pm
      Cheers OP!

Don't think Ibe has done enough in the last two games personally to warrant a third consecutive start.

Would play Cou, Firmino and Moreno behind Big Ben with Hendo and Milner central midfield.

Mignolet

Clyne    Skrtel    Lovren  Gomez

Hendo     Milner

Firmino     Coutinho     Moreno

Benteke
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Aug 20, 2015 05:15:57 pm
      Rodgers saying Can can play the holding/controlling midfielder role, we are 2 games into the PL season and Can is probably fitter than Lucas, so I think he should throw him in at the deep end if he's serious about it. Will definitely be good experience vs exceptional/world class players. I just want to see what the fuss is about and why so many of our fans think he can play there.

And Ive just read lucas might be away by then.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Aug 20, 2015 05:17:30 pm
      tactics dictate if he changes some players.

And maybe Ibe needs a rest, give fimino a start and bring Ibe on 2nd half etc.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #8: Aug 20, 2015 05:17:46 pm
      It will be tough match as always. If we get some points from this game, it would be brilliant.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #9: Aug 20, 2015 05:35:41 pm
                          Mignolet       

Can           
             Henderson  Milner       

I would completely agree with this line up mate. I was hesitant about Ibe given he was quite ineffective against Bournemouth, but the alternatives would be Lallana, who was even worse, and Firminho, who I don't think is ready yet, especially against a fast paced team like Arsenal.

The only player I am not 100% on is Lovren. He is prone to mistakes and against an intricate passing team like Arsenal, he may well prove our undoing. The alternatives as Kolo, which may not be a good idea given he's very slow, or Sakho, who would be my choice. Do we know why Sakho hasn't featured yet?

Should be a cracker, even if I am quietly worried about Arsenal's class. YNWA
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #10: Aug 20, 2015 06:48:02 pm
      If we patrol the area around our arc at the box arse will be stuffed. Most of their attack or shots is around this area. That's where a world class DM would take care of that. Don;t allow them to build up around our box and they will be frustrated. I can foresee Benteke will give them a torrid time. They don't deal with tall strikers well. They will leak goals if we know how to fully utilise Benteke.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #11: Aug 20, 2015 06:51:27 pm
      If Hendo is fit I'd play the following:     

Mignolet

Hendo 
                 Milner               Lallana

Coutinho     

Benteke    Ings

Diamond in midfield and 2 up front.

Reason for the 2 strikers is cos I think we should play on the counter, and 1 striker on the counter tends to get very isolated. You need a high press with 1 striker, and this early in the season I dont think we could keep up the required energy for the 90 mins, - so sit deeper and give Benteke a strike partner.

We could play Firmino instead of Ings, but the latter is a more natural striker and more likely to make the runs in behind off Benteke ( not seen enough of Firmino to be sure he wouldnt do this, but Ings definitely would.) Firmino can come on for fresh legs in the second half ( not necessarily for Ings - depending on how the game is going).

I'd rather have Sakho than Lovren, but seems pretty certain it'll be Lovren, so I'm resigned to that.

If Hendo is out, then start Can, but I'd probably play Milner as the holding player as Can is inexperienced and I was a bit concerned about his composure and discipline in a few games last season, and you need plenty of both for the holding role. Milner played the holding role for Citeh a few times and did it well.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #12: Aug 20, 2015 07:42:06 pm
      If Hendo is fit I'd play the following:     

Mignolet

Hendo 
                 Milner               Lallana

Coutinho     

Benteke    Ings

Diamond in midfield and 2 up front.

Reason for the 2 strikers is cos I think we should play on the counter, and 1 striker on the counter tends to get very isolated. You need a high press with 1 striker, and this early in the season I dont think we could keep up the required energy for the 90 mins, - so sit deeper and give Benteke a strike partner.

We could play Firmino instead of Ings, but the latter is a more natural striker and more likely to make the runs in behind off Benteke ( not seen enough of Firmino to be sure he wouldnt do this, but Ings definitely would.) Firmino can come on for fresh legs in the second half ( not necessarily for Ings - depending on how the game is going).

I'd rather have Sakho than Lovren, but seems pretty certain it'll be Lovren, so I'm resigned to that.

If Hendo is out, then start Can, but I'd probably play Milner as the holding player as Can is inexperienced and I was a bit concerned about his composure and discipline in a few games last season, and you need plenty of both for the holding role. Milner played the holding role for Citeh a few times and did it well.

Think you have it rigth with the two striker up front against Arsenal,  where I would change things is like this

Mignolet

Hendo 
                                                                             Milner                  Ibe

Coutinho     

Benteke    Ings

I believe Milner is best when on the wing, as Ibe pace is vital to help pin back Arsenal
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #13: Aug 20, 2015 08:52:20 pm
      I think Arsenal start their season slowly so I can see us winning this why not?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Aug 20, 2015 09:00:38 pm
      Think you have it rigth with the two striker up front against Arsenal,  where I would change things is like this

Mignolet

Hendo 
                                                                             Milner                  Ibe

Coutinho     

Benteke    Ings

I believe Milner is best when on the wing, as Ibe pace is vital to help pin back Arsenal

We're asking for trouble with Ibe at CM IMO.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #15: Aug 20, 2015 09:42:26 pm
      Park the bus, play it up to the big man, and play the second balls. Clyne and Gomez to provide the width. Not pretty, but effective.

Migs
      Clyne    Skrtel             Sakho      Gomez
                Can       Milner      Henderson
                          Coutinho
                  Benteke        Firmino
      rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #16: Aug 20, 2015 10:01:32 pm
      Cant believe people think Can is a defensive midfielder
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17: Aug 20, 2015 10:12:42 pm
                         Migs
      Clyne    Skrtel   Lovren     Gomez
      Lallana   Milner   Hendo     Moreno
                        Coutinho
                  Benteke

Would start as solid as possible. Same back 4, with FBs getting forward when possible. Definite improvement this season in Clyne and Gomez on previous seasons FBs. Would start same CBs. No clue what's going on with Sahko, but would still keep the back 4 unchanged.

No chance Firmino will start after his cameo last Mon. Would also leave Ibe on bench, end product still a problem, and Moreno showed enough hunger for me to start him ahead of Gomez, which also gives some stronger cover on that side, cause the Arse will probably target there.
      Would also consider starting Can ahead of Lallana, but Adam gives more going forward and Can still lacks a bit of match fitness, so would prefer not to start him. He might start anyway instead of Hendo is Hendo injured.

In Cou and Benteke up front we have guys that can do something special, so hopefully they can nick something.

I've no illusions, I expect this to be a really touch game for us. We've two wins, but haven't really clicked, and Arse have dangerous players. Would settle for a point now, and imo a good result. Don't expect a win, but obviously would be great if we got it. Hopefully Hendo starts, cause we lacked shape without him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Aug 20, 2015 10:42:38 pm
      I'm honestly shitting myself about this game. Hate playing those cu*ts at their place. They could rip us to shreds and that's what I'm fearing.

Just hope the lads come out to play and we tear them a new one. Going to be biting my nails from now till the final whistle.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Aug 20, 2015 11:09:35 pm
      I'd set out with a team that can shut them down when they have the ball but hurt them when we have it

4 4 1 1 for me. Not sure what the story is with Hendo and I'll assume that Sakho won't be involved so

Mignolet

Clyne Skrtel Lovern Gomez

Milner Can Lucas Moreno

Coutinho

Benteke

No issue with our 2 full backs defensively or with the ball. Moreno showed his strengths on Monday, going forward. Him in there helping out Gomez plus running direct at arsenal could be rewarding. Likewise moving Milner to the right gives Clyne cover plus both can get at Arsenal going forward.

Lucas is unlikely to play but he's our most trustworthy holding midfielder I don't think Can has the tactical discipline for it. I do think Can could drive at Arsenal from there though. In saying that if Hendo makes it Can drops to the bench.

I'd hate to see us over respect these. Get in there faces but when we have possession lets go at them. Put them on the Blackfoot as much as we can. They have vulnerabilities.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Aug 20, 2015 11:21:00 pm
      Cant believe people think Can is a defensive midfielder

I can't believe that there are still uncontacted civilisations out there in the world.
      I can't believe that the Sooty Shearwater bird will migrate 40,000 miles in one year....making it one of the longest migrating birds in the world.
      I can't even believe that I can't believe it's not butter is not butter!  :o

But I can believe that Emre Can is perceived to be a defensive midfielder by some.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #21: Aug 20, 2015 11:22:11 pm
      I'd set out with a team that can shut them down when they have the ball but hurt them when we have it

4 4 1 1 for me. Not sure what the story is with Hendo and I'll assume that Sakho won't be involved so

Mignolet

Clyne Skrtel Lovern Gomez

Milner Can Lucas Moreno

Coutinho

Benteke

No issue with our 2 full backs defensively or with the ball. Moreno showed his strengths on Monday, going forward. Him in there helping out Gomez plus running direct at arsenal could be rewarding. Likewise moving Milner to the right gives Clyne cover plus both can get at Arsenal going forward.

Lucas is unlikely to play but he's our most trustworthy holding midfielder I don't think Can has the tactical discipline for it. I do think Can could drive at Arsenal from there though. In saying that if Hendo makes it Can drops to the bench.

I'd hate to see us over respect these. Get in there faces but when we have possession lets go at them. Put them on the Blackfoot as much as we can. They have vulnerabilities.

Lucas won't be in the squad mate so let's hope Hendo is fit to play.

I definitely agree with giving Moreno a chance at LW. He looked fantastic against Bournenouth when he came on and he would help Gomez defensively against Ozil and Bellerin.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Aug 20, 2015 11:28:00 pm
      5-1 again? Be nice but I'd settle for another scraped 1-0 win.

Quick Reply