Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Are we learning to defend?

Read 4007 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,989 posts | 516 
      Are we learning to defend?
      Aug 25, 2015 07:49:37 pm
      Thought I'd create a new topic on this, as there are signs we might be turning a corner with our defending.

I'm not saying that just because we have kept 3 clean sheets in a row. ( In fact we've carried a bit of luck in doing that, and nothing wrong with a bit of luck.) But I was particularly impressed by our defending against Arsenal.

I was watching our back line as the Arse subjected it to a fair bit of pressure.
      Over the past 3 years when teams have done that, it has basically been panic stations back there. But we held our line really well. We didnt collapse back on top of Mignolet like usual ( people slag Mignolet for being sh*t on crosses, but it cant have helped him having to come through half of our players and half of the opposition to try and get something on every cross.) Even the bit of luck we got with Ramsey's offside - how often have we even felt confident enough to try and play people offside in the recent past? How often have our back 4 been prepared to stay up around the 18 yard line under pressure?

Defensive organistion has been Brendan's achilles heel since he's been here. Thats been obvious for a long time. I was one of the one's harping on about a defensive coach for the last 2 years. One swallow doesnt make a summer, but it genuinely looked to me like we had proper defensive organistion last night.  ( Under Kenny, I though Skrtel was the best CB in the league, after Kompany. He hasnt looked that since, but he looked it again last night - he was really excellent. Even Lovren played well. )

Obviously 2 full backs who are defensively sound kind of helps, but I think there was a bit more to it than that. If Brendan now has people around him who can coach a defence, then it can make a massive difference to our chances. Brendan has shown that he can get us playing well on the attacking side, and it can only help our attackers if they don't feel they need to score 3 or 4 goals to win games.

It also helps our entire game, in my opinion, if the defensive line can squeeze higher up the pitch, which we might be starting to develop the basis for doing.

So - are we learning to defend? A few games coming up that should put us to the test, but promising signs.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Re: Are we learning to defend?
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2015 08:10:59 pm

Doesn't look like it
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2015 08:27:42 pm

Wasn't that last season
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2015 08:32:43 pm

Looks like it to me Scott.

The geek has been on a rage since the captaincy meltdown...probably not seeing clearly at the moment; too much Citeh love in his heart right now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2015 08:40:20 pm
      Learning to defend?

Sort of implies our defenders are some sort of amateurs and have never heard if this defending malarkey before.

It's simply down to a decent shield in front of the defence supplied by midfielders who are not letting opposition players simply waltz through, also with at least 1 full back staying back and not leaving the CB's overloaded looking at 2 v 2 or even 3 v 2 situations.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2015 09:08:59 pm

They are last seasons stats you moron.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2015 09:12:26 pm
      I know we.were all joking about this but does anyone reckon O Driscoll and Ljinders have helped with the defensive organisation, or is BR adapting and becoming more pragmatic with his playing systems? Perhaps a bit of both, more.ideas from O Driscoll/Ljinders and more pragmatism from BR
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2015 09:16:20 pm
      They are last seasons stats you moron.

damn calm down, i thought that was from this season. Do u have a life?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2015 09:20:36 pm

Yes it's a life in which I support Liverpool FC.

And you?
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #9: Aug 25, 2015 09:26:25 pm

We barely let anyone had a shot toward our goal during the last three games. Let alone 12 shots a result of mistakes made by our two CBs. Proves that are watching different games than us.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #10: Aug 25, 2015 09:28:07 pm
      We barely let anyone had a shot toward our goal during the last three games. Let alone 12 shots a result of mistakes made by our two CBs. Proves that are watching different games than us.

Exactly.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #11: Aug 25, 2015 10:25:32 pm
      I know we.were all joking about this but does anyone reckon O Driscoll and Ljinders have helped with the defensive organisation, or is BR adapting and becoming more pragmatic with his playing systems? Perhaps a bit of both, more.ideas from O Driscoll/Ljinders and more pragmatism from BR

I think it must be a combination of the two mate but I have got no doubt that the new coaching staff have had some serious input and at the same time the manager appears to have softened his principles and is now willing to do what is needed to win rather than playing 'our way' first and winning 2nd. Love what I have seen from us defensively thus far this season. Two full backs who can actually defend and work their socks off and midfielders who all mark, track and tackle.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #12: Aug 25, 2015 10:56:49 pm
      We have always known how to defend - the question is finding the right balance of defending and attacking.

Plenty on here were pointing out how we needed a "defence coach" like Steve Clarke ignoring the fact that Brendan managed more clean sheets than Kenny and Clarke with his shoestring budget Swansea side.

One of the major changes, apart from the midfield shield, has been the mentality of the fullbacks. As Gomez is more inclined to hang back when Clyne goes upfield it means Lovren is less exposed which has allowed him to settle into the side more.

We are finally settling into Brendan's original gameplan which is to restrict chances to long shots on goal which, as anyone who has watched Mignolet knows, is one of his strengths.

Once Firmino gets into his pressing game fully then things will improve further.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Aug 25, 2015 11:23:14 pm
      No.
      We just went out and bought two boss fullbacks.
      Nice.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Aug 26, 2015 01:01:24 am
      I always thought that our swashbuckling, pass and move style left us completely out of shape on occasions. It was like someone doing a mad un-choreographed dance they  basically made up on the fly which left them dangling on a ledge with no room to move.
      I think the lack of mad movement and a more direct target man has calmed things down and players are no longer way out of position.
      That's what's changed .... of course I could be completely mistaken.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2015 01:20:41 am
      I always thought that our swashbuckling, pass and move style left us completely out of shape on occasions. It was like someone doing a mad un-choreographed dance they  basically made up on the fly which left them dangling on a ledge with no room to move.
      I think the lack of mad movement and a more direct target man has calmed things down and players are no longer way out of position.
      That's what's changed .... of course I could be completely mistaken.

I agree this is partly the case - the starting position of the full backs is a bit deeper than before. And while both full backs would often maraud forward, now when one does it, the other tends to sit back a bit more.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16: Aug 26, 2015 01:23:01 am
      We have always known how to defend - the question is finding the right balance of defending and attacking.

Plenty on here were pointing out how we needed a "defence coach" like Steve Clarke ignoring the fact that Brendan managed more clean sheets than Kenny and Clarke with his shoestring budget Swansea side.

One of the major changes, apart from the midfield shield, has been the mentality of the fullbacks. As Gomez is more inclined to hang back when Clyne goes upfield it means Lovren is less exposed which has allowed him to settle into the side more.

We are finally settling into Brendan's original gameplan which is to restrict chances to long shots on goal which, as anyone who has watched Mignolet knows, is one of his strengths.

Once Firmino gets into his pressing game fully then things will improve further.

The idea of getting Steve Clarke in never made sense anyhow - his teams liked to defend deeper than ours (despite us defending pretty deep last night) but also there was a lack of emphasis with him on playing the ball out from back. Brendan still wants his defenders to get forward when given the chance - see Lovren at Stoke just before Coutinho scored for example, that would never happen with Steve Clarke.

He was completely on a different wavelength to Brendan coaching wise and it would never have worked.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #17: Aug 26, 2015 01:24:45 am

Idiot, it says 2014/15. Does your stupidity know no bounds?
      dflfc1
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts | 18 
      Reply #18: Aug 26, 2015 01:24:56 am
      So quick to criticise the team you didn't even bother to read the picture properly.

We've definitely improved defensively and 3 clean sheets from 3 games proves it.

Lets hope it continues.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Aug 26, 2015 01:49:50 am
      No.
      We just went out and bought two boss fullbacks.
      Nice.

This!

They've made such a huge difference to our game. The gaps between the back 4 have narrowed whereas last season Johnson and Moreno were getting dragged out of position and it left holes in-between each defensive pairing.

Idiot, it says 2014/15. Does your stupidity know no bounds?

Stupidity is the only thing he knows. Apparently Gerrard won nothing before becoming captain :D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Aug 26, 2015 08:39:30 am
      Should maybe look at it differently, what is different this year so far.

1) The manager & coaches are focused on sorting the defence out
      2) We have a settled back 4 for now, pre season and 3 league games with the same defence
      3) The new full backs are not glen johnson ;D
      4) The MF are offering a bit more protection
      5) We are now getting rid of the ball quicker if under pressure, no passing around 18 yard box for sake of it

Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #21: Aug 26, 2015 10:02:26 am
      something i've noticed more these last few games is he back four touching hands to maintain the backline and i guess to know exactly where everyone is

seems like a basic training drill but seems to work
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #22: Aug 26, 2015 10:17:41 am
      bit gay but. ;D.

Quick Reply