Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Are we learning to defend?

Read 4009 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Are we learning to defend?
      Reply #23: Aug 26, 2015 10:26:23 am

I think you've earned a custom title.
      Enjoy.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #24: Aug 26, 2015 10:28:46 am
      We closed the space down fast and gave Arsenal less space and time to work on in the 2nd half. If we out in a few early tackles here and there to nullify the threat before the ball gets into our box would be perfect. We'll be very very difficult to break down. Next is to work on swiftly switching from defence to attack.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #25: Aug 26, 2015 10:30:04 am
      Should maybe look at it differently, what is different this year so far.

1) The manager & coaches are focused on sorting the defence out
      2) We have a settled back 4 for now, pre season and 3 league games with the same defence
      3) The new full backs are not glen johnson ;D
      4) The MF are offering a bit more protection
      5) We are now getting rid of the ball quicker if under pressure, no passing around 18 yard box for sake of it

6) Stevie is not sitting in front of the defence.

I got a lot of stick last season for pointing out what a problem he was causing us - unable to press reliably, difficulty tracking back, letting quick youngsters burn past and slow to recover leaving big gaps between the midfield and defensive line - whaddayaknow - replace him with Milner and we look a completely different prospect.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Aug 26, 2015 10:44:51 am
      6) Stevie is not sitting in front of the defence.

I got a lot of stick last season for pointing out what a problem he was causing us - unable to press reliably, difficulty tracking back, letting quick youngsters burn past and slow to recover leaving big gaps between the midfield and defensive line - whaddayaknow - replace him with Milner and we look a completely different prospect.

I have said something similair, stevie should have been further forward last season, the so called quarterback role, does not work in the EPL, we got too easily over ran.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,006 posts | 521 
      Reply #27: Aug 26, 2015 01:03:59 pm
      I know we.were all joking about this but does anyone reckon O Driscoll and Ljinders have helped with the defensive organisation, or is BR adapting and becoming more pragmatic with his playing systems? Perhaps a bit of both, more.ideas from O Driscoll/Ljinders and more pragmatism from BR

Yeah, I think its a bit of both myself.

The new fullbacks are definitely helping, as I said, and I do think that Milner is harder to run past than Stevie was last year as well.
      But where I think there has been a change in the coaching is that we look to be holding our line a lot better - higher up around the 18 yard line when the opposition are applying pressure. This is hard to do and has to be coached well to be done effectively.
      To what extent thats down to the new coaches or Brendan who knows, but its definitely a welcome sign.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,598 posts | 2156 
      Reply #28: Aug 26, 2015 04:32:02 pm
      6) Stevie is not sitting in front of the defence.I got a lot of stick last season for pointing out what a problem he was causing us - unable to press reliably, difficulty tracking back, letting quick youngsters burn past and slow to recover leaving big gaps between the midfield and defensive line - whaddayaknow - replace him with Milner and we look a completely different prospect.

Maybe the skipper wouldn't have struggled so much if the things that have been implemented this year (ie. a better defensive shape with an emphasis on being compact, 2 decent full-backs and not committing to making the pitch so big) had been in place last year?

It's not quite as straightforward as you have suggested.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #29: Aug 31, 2015 05:53:56 pm
      I'm surprised no one has bumped this after Saturdays effort.

Not seen the game as I was 39,000 feet in the sky. Shocked when I saw the result, but I guess no, no we're not.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Aug 31, 2015 06:09:45 pm
      I have said something similair, stevie should have been further forward last season, the so called quarterback role, does not work in the EPL, we got too easily over ran.

you mean the role Brendan designed so he could play until he was fourty.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #31: Aug 31, 2015 06:12:09 pm
      We were learning but then we forgot again.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #32: Aug 31, 2015 08:04:46 pm
      They are still learning as a unit and we have looked well tighter and more disciplined, coaching has improved that aspect and it's an ongoing thing, it won't happen straight away and stick, I know BR has been here for years, I'm thinking of his new right side men instilling some level of concentration and organisation at the back.
      The flaw is we have flawed CB's who are prone to brain farts at any given moment.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Aug 31, 2015 09:16:53 pm
      Depends if we are including Lovren in this?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Sep 01, 2015 12:01:43 pm
      No.
      We just went out and bought two boss fullbacks.
      Nice.

This kind of still applies.
      Because Skrtel and Lovren seem to have gone back to type.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015 04:34:15 pm by racerx34 »
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #35: Sep 01, 2015 04:02:32 pm
      no leadership at the back is the real issue, Carra made Skrtel a decent CB now he's gone the cracks are showing. the sooner we replace Skrtel and Lovren the better. to be honest i was hoping Skrtel would have gone this summer so Sakho came in and Lovren went RCB at least then we would start seeing Ilori or Gomez as real competition for a CB slot but i think BR will use both of them as LB and RB which is a shame. Playing people out of position is daft but BR likes this "versitile" player which is daft as you buy a CB to play CB not LB or RB.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #36: Sep 01, 2015 11:55:04 pm
      Are we learning to defend?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Please, somebody lock this up. I can't take it.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #37: Sep 02, 2015 12:05:55 pm
      I think I'll lock this thread for now.

Maybe we can start a new one when we don't concede 12 goals in 6 games.

Quick Reply