Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Academy Expectations

Read 4234 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Academy Expectations
      Aug 18, 2015 07:13:48 pm
      I've not got a major problem if we sign him, but if he does come, we're just another typical English Premier League side overhauling the squad each summer because our finances allow it - the same goes for other clubs seemingly in constant transition such as Man Utd and Tottenham.

Instead of financial prudence and self-development which should be a priority at the club, we are constantly juggling by getting new players in to adapt to (A) the club, and (B) the League.

If Illarramendi does arrive, of course I will support him, but it is yet another indictment against our putrid youth system which seems to be producing peanuts.

In an ideal world, Rossitter would be getting the chance, he wouldn't need to adapt to the club or the league as youth players generally slot into the first team with much more relative ease than incomers. Okay, so fair enough, perhaps Rossitter isn't good enough? Well if he isn't, then be very worried by the fact he was touted as one of our very brightest young players - and if he can't make it, then the prospects for the rest of the Academy is looking very bleak indeed. Academies should ensure stability with a club and a great foundation upon which all great teams succeed. If we are constantly going through every summer with the policy of "overhaul the squad, fail, repeat, overhaul the squad, fail, repeat", then our future will be very bleak indeed.

I've said it time and time and time again, stop looking for answers in the transfer market, and start looking for solutions closer to home - more specifically, producing a great academy. At the moment, I worry greatly that we are only looking for answers in the transfer market. And no matter what, that is destined to fail, unless we get a rich billionaire Arab which is never going to happen.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Academy Expectations
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2015 07:28:36 pm
      At the moment, I worry greatly that we are only looking for answers in the transfer market. And no matter what, that is destined to fail,

I hear what you're saying but the facts surrounding "looking for answers in the transfer market" tell a whole different story to the one you believe.

Far from being destined to fail, the fact (and truth) is that top clubs look to the transfer market -  and they invariably and consistently win titles - both domestic & European. Just as the fact and truth is; very few kids ever make 'it'.

So we try Jordan and he fails: what next - try again and hope the next kid is better... fail then repeat? Hmm...

If, by some twist of fate, we were only able to field players who come through the system, we would be ate and sh*t alive, week in week out. In my opinion, of course.

The answer is probably a balance of the two [youth & experience] and... at the moment we're well blessed with plenty of 'youth'.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2015 07:39:16 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2015 07:48:16 pm
      I hear what you're saying but the facts surrounding "looking for answers in the transfer market" tell a whole different story to the one you believe.

Far from being destined to fail, the fact (and truth) is that top clubs look to the transfer market -  and they invariably and consistently win titles - both domestic & European. Just as the fact and truth is; very few kids ever make 'it'.

So we try Jordan and he fails: what next - try again and hope the next kid is better... fail then repeat? Hmm...

If, by some twist of fate, we were only able to field players who come through the system, we would be ate and sh*t alive, week in week out. In my opinion, of course.

The answer is probably a balance of the two [youth & experience] and... at the moment we're well blessed with plenty of 'youth'.

I'm not saying we just put in any youngster - they have to be good enough. So the answer goes back to youth coaching and coaching our youngsters to be great - it's obvious that England has a major problem when it comes to youth coaching, and Liverpool epitomise this considering that, apart from Flanagan, the last graduates were from the class who came out of the mid to late 1990s (Gerrard, Owen, Carra, Fowler, McManaman, etc). A very long time ago.

While we have a hefty amount of transfer funds, we still cannot compete with the financially elite clubs. We are very much in the underdog category in terms of the top clubs - like Dortmund and Athletico Madrid. However, they have a good youth system whereby their squads have a very healthy amount of academy graduates and it often saves them the task of risky spending sprees, in addition to trying to adapt them into the squad.

We don't, and it's striking to think (and correct me if I'm wrong on this) that this is the first time in our history we have no local scouse blood on the team sheet. I'm not expecting the next Gerrard or anything, but a healthy amount of capable squad players derived from the academy would save us the effort and time of spending loads on a player and watching him take time to adapt.

In fairness, youth reforms take years to assess and we can only effectively assess Rodgers's reforms when the youngest come through (they are still making their way through the academy levels). The older age groups in the Academy were past a certain stage of development when Rodgers came in, and the older they were, the less they will resemble Rodgers idea of a Liverpool player, so we can't really assess those players as part of Rodgers youth masterplan.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2015 09:22:29 pm
      I've not got a major problem if we sign him, but if he does come, we're just another typical English Premier League side overhauling the squad each summer because our finances allow it - the same goes for other clubs seemingly in constant transition such as Man Utd and Tottenham.

Instead of financial prudence and self-development which should be a priority at the club, we are constantly juggling by getting new players in to adapt to (A) the club, and (B) the League.

If Illarramendi does arrive, of course I will support him, but it is yet another indictment against our putrid youth system which seems to be producing peanuts.

In an ideal world, Rossitter would be getting the chance, he wouldn't need to adapt to the club or the league as youth players generally slot into the first team with much more relative ease than incomers. Okay, so fair enough, perhaps Rossitter isn't good enough? Well if he isn't, then be very worried by the fact he was touted as one of our very brightest young players - and if he can't make it, then the prospects for the rest of the Academy is looking very bleak indeed. Academies should ensure stability with a club and a great foundation upon which all great teams succeed. If we are constantly going through every summer with the policy of "overhaul the squad, fail, repeat, overhaul the squad, fail, repeat", then our future will be very bleak indeed.

I've said it time and time and time again, stop looking for answers in the transfer market, and start looking for solutions closer to home - more specifically, producing a great academy. At the moment, I worry greatly that we are only looking for answers in the transfer market. And no matter what, that is destined to fail, unless we get a rich billionaire Arab which is never going to happen.

Rossiter isn't good enough to play a big amount of games for the first team because he's only 18. That doesn't mean he isn't one of our brightest prospects. Who's saying he won't make it? There's no need to rush players that simply aren't ready just for the sake of it. You seem wound up by that particular situation and there's no need to be.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2015 09:26:33 pm
      Rossiter isn't good enough to play a big amount of games for the first team because he's only 18. That doesn't mean he isn't one of our brightest prospects. Who's saying he won't make it? There's no need to rush players that simply aren't ready just for the sake of it. You seem wound up by that particular situation and there's no need to be.

Fair enough, but that shouldn't cover up the fact we have largely brought in a lot of inadequate players (either loan or buy - Manquillo, Moses, Alberto, Assaidi, Cissokho, etc) when we could have at least given some youth players a chance. Certainly, the majority of them offered absolutely nothing to us and, all added up, that's a heck of a lot of money wasted.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2015 09:30:13 pm
      Fair enough, but that shouldn't cover up the fact we have largely brought in a lot of inadequate players (either loan or buy - Manquillo, Moses, Alberto, Assaidi, Cissokho, etc) when we could have at least given some youth players a chance. Certainly, the majority of them offered absolutely nothing to us and, all added up, that's a heck of a lot of money wasted.

It happens at most clubs in the world so I'm not sure why you think ours would be any different?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2015 09:35:15 pm
      I'm not saying we just put in any youngster - they have to be good enough.
      And when they are... 'we' do - more so than most - if they're good enough (irrespective of age) they'll be given a chance. I thought that much was obvious mate.

Other than stating the obvious [which you seem to agree with] I don't know what else to say.

Maybe I'm missing your point as I'm sure your not saying 'just give em a go because it might save money' as that would be assuming an awful lot; namely Brendan and his team are mistaken in the reading of the ability of their players.

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2015 09:54:19 pm
      And when they are... 'we' do - more so than most - if they're good enough (irrespective of age) they'll be given a chance. I thought that much was obvious mate.

Other than stating the obvious [which you seem to agree with] I don't know what else to say.

Maybe I'm missing your point as I'm sure your not saying 'just give em a go because it might save money' as that would be assuming an awful lot; namely Brendan and his team are mistaken in the reading of the ability of their players.

My original point is that because we have been so woeful in terms of our academy, we are having to fork out on overhauls of the squad, and because we can afford it over most European clubs, it doesn't provide much incentive to produce a top quality academy. I personally see the massive outlay of transfer funds every summer as an indictment against our awful youth academy.

We should be looking at the likes of Barca and Dortmund for clubs whereby the foundations of success is made upon a great academy. There's no way these clubs - even Atheltico Madrid - would have seen the success they had without their academies.

We are never going to outsmart clubs in the transfer market, so my ideal solution is to plough loads of resources into the academy - i.e. coaching methods, coachign structure, etc.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2015 10:07:42 pm
      I personally see the massive outlay of transfer funds every summer as an indictment against our awful youth academy.
      If that's your reading of things fair enough. Just out of curiosity - which of the top clubs do you reckon actually have a great academy?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2015 10:41:38 pm
      If that's your reading of things fair enough. Just out of curiosity - which of the top clubs do you reckon actually have a great academy?

Sorry for butting in but 'great academies' in England don't seem to matter much these days! I'm guessing that because of the incredible ££££ being pumped into the league I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that spending on academies will more or less stay the same while the broadcasting money is used to subsidise and inflate transfer fees. I fear that it may be so detrimental to the academies throughout

As well as an obvious aim to win trophies on the field the club should always seek to maximise and realise the potential of the communities around it. I'd love to see the Academy expanded so that young players could get their full education, lifestyle and attitude from there, very similar to what they are doing at Barcelona. A lot of these kids will be coming from disadvantaged backgrounds and it would be great that in rewarding their football ability we could reward them in their abilities outside of football - enhancing and engaging their knowledge in a range of academic subjects.

I understand that the Liverpool academy sends it's students to a centre within Rainhill High School. It'd be interesting to know the sort of curriculum being offered at this school and whether there's enough emphasis on the type of subjects that would develop and enhance our players brains and intelligence.

Seeing their website though and I see photos of them doing cookery courses and woodwork. This is all very well but what about the emphasis on more academically inclined subjects such as in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths), English, Social sciences and business? I don't see much evidence of that. To create great players I think you need to combine it with a great, first class education so they we create mindful and intelligent players off the field as well as on it. By combining a highly wired and intelligent brain with our academy prospects ability then I think we could create genuinely brilliant players along the lines of a Xavi, Iniesta or Pirlo.

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2015 11:01:29 pm
      Sorry for butting in but 'great academies' in England don't seem to matter much these days! I'm guessing that because of the incredible ££££ being pumped into the league I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that spending on academies will more or less stay the same while the broadcasting money is used to subsidise and inflate transfer fees. I fear that it may be so detrimental to the academies throughout

As well as an obvious aim to win trophies on the field the club should always seek to maximise and realise the potential of the communities around it. I'd love to see the Academy expanded so that young players could get their full education, lifestyle and attitude from there, very similar to what they are doing at Barcelona. A lot of these kids will be coming from disadvantaged backgrounds and it would be great that in rewarding their football ability we could reward them in their abilities outside of football - enhancing and engaging their knowledge in a range of academic subjects.

I understand that the Liverpool academy sends it's students to a centre within Rainhill High School. It'd be interesting to know the sort of curriculum being offered at this school and whether there's enough emphasis on the type of subjects that would develop and enhance our players brains and intelligence.

Seeing their website though and I see photos of them doing cookery courses and woodwork. This is all very well but what about the emphasis on more academically inclined subjects such as in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths), English, Social sciences and business? I don't see much evidence of that. To create great players I think you need to combine it with a great, first class education so they we create mindful and intelligent players off the field as well as on it. By combining a highly wired and intelligent brain with our academy prospects ability then I think we could create genuinely brilliant players along the lines of a Xavi, Iniesta or Pirlo.

Just had a quick look at that. Worrying....

At Barca, even the seniors are encouraged to take academic subjects to enhance their rational intelligence which can transfer onto the field. Iniesta and Xavi are known for doing this. Now before anyone has a go, I'm not saying being a member of MENSA will make you Messi, but there is an increasing trend by which good academia can improve the mind and intelligence of a footballer on the field, as opposed to the Captain Caveman approach that sums up English footballers.

Besides this, the famed Barca youth academy provides top class academia in addition to the top class coaching, to provide the players with a brain to stand on in case of (A) they don't make it at the top level, and (B) to encourage their rationality on the field.

Our youth education of woodwork, cooking and being taught how to pitch a f**king tent is hardly the way to aid the player on the field, and in many cases, doesn't even provide kids with the education needed to fall back on in case their football career doesn't work out. Some of them will be lucky to find jobs within this remit, but there's only so many practical jobs out there.

To be a fully rounded human being as Brendan wants our players to be, they need more than 'commitment, responsibility and determination'. They need a f**king brain. And considering the thick fools that English football produces, we are way way way behind the top footballing nations in the world. And Liverpool aren't doing anything it seems to buck that trend.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2015 11:30:06 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #11: Aug 19, 2015 08:10:14 am
      Just had a quick look at that. Worrying....

At Barca, even the seniors are encouraged to take academic subjects to enhance their rational intelligence which can transfer onto the field. Iniesta and Xavi are known for doing this. Now before anyone has a go, I'm not saying being a member of MENSA will make you Messi, but there is an increasing trend by which good academia can improve the mind and intelligence of a footballer on the field, as opposed to the Captain Caveman approach that sums up English footballers.

Besides this, the famed Barca youth academy provides top class academia in addition to the top class coaching, to provide the players with a brain to stand on in case of (A) they don't make it at the top level, and (B) to encourage their rationality on the field.

Our youth education of woodwork, cooking and being taught how to pitch a f**king tent is hardly the way to aid the player on the field, and in many cases, doesn't even provide kids with the education needed to fall back on in case their football career doesn't work out. Some of them will be lucky to find jobs within this remit, but there's only so many practical jobs out there.

To be a fully rounded human being as Brendan wants our players to be, they need more than 'commitment, responsibility and determination'. They need a f**king brain. And considering the thick fools that English football produces, we are way way way behind the top footballing nations in the world. And Liverpool aren't doing anything it seems to buck that trend.

Well wasn't Glen Johnson doing a maths degree or something? Did that do anything for his logic and problem solving.
      Most youngsters who happen to luck out with a footy contract as a kid probably only want to concentrate on that because that's their passion, I'm sure academic options will be there, from then on it's up to them to want to pursue.
      Academic knowledge taught in schools sometimes is the opposite of thinking for yourself, it's reaffirming what the status quo should be for any new person growing up, it could hinder more than make a person great.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Aug 19, 2015 09:01:05 am
      Well wasn't Glen Johnson doing a maths degree or something? Did that do anything for his logic and problem solving.
      Most youngsters who happen to luck out with a footy contract as a kid probably only want to concentrate on that because that's their passion, I'm sure academic options will be there, from then on it's up to them to want to pursue.
      Academic knowledge taught in schools sometimes is the opposite of thinking for yourself, it's reaffirming what the status quo should be for any new person growing up, it could hinder more than make a person great.

There is quite a difference between studying full time as a youngster in your secondary school years (as we are discussing here) and studying part time in an HE institute as an adult like Johnson.

Also when I take one look at your average England player failing to string two sentences together properly in post match interviews on MOTD I hardly think they are anti establishment/rebel minds who defied 'the system'.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Aug 19, 2015 12:14:58 pm
      Sorry for butting in...

By combining a highly wired and intelligent brain with our academy prospects ability then I think we could create genuinely brilliant players along the lines of a Xavi, Iniesta or Pirlo.

Just lifted this part from your post by way of intro FMS - first off; no need to be sorry as long as you're keeping 'it' in the context of what was being discussed, I suppose - which was:

* "looking for answers in the transfer market is destined to fail" - I reckon everyone and their brother can see that that's not true. Then, with that original notion scraped (I assume) it moved to...

* 'Only those [from the academy] who are good enough should get the chance' - I also reckon that everyone can see that 'we' do in fact (and more than most) give lads from our academy a chance. That 'argument' put safely to bed, we moved again to...

* 'Because there aren't even more kids good enough [to force their way into a top team, with top four and title ambitions] - it's a damning indictment on our academy' - well... in my opinion... that's nonsense. Truth is: very, very, few of any kids, from any F***ing academy (small or large) make it to the top table - much less force their way into a top class team - the fact is; the overwhelming majority of kids never 'make it'. Is that an indictment on our academy, the ability of the kids or... football in general?

Remember - if a player is good enough he will make - if not at their parent club, then somewhere else.

Which brings us back, neatly, to where you've decided come in FMS.

Although far removed from our [SoaG/myself] original debate, you make some very valid points and I totally agree. All kids should be educated to as high an academical level as is within their capabilities - obviously some will be more gifted than others [just like footballing ability  ;)]... if for no other reason than the fact that very, very, few will become professional footballers - even less at the highest [LFC, for e.g.] level. And... All clubs should have a social conscience.

Now what that has to do with maybe signing Illarramendi rather than give Jordan Rossiter a chance, F**k only knows  :laugh: but that aside it's been both very interesting and enjoyable reading your excellent post... once again, I totally agree.

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #14: Aug 19, 2015 04:25:32 pm
      Just lifted this part from your post by way of intro FMS - first off; no need to be sorry as long as you're keeping 'it' in the context of what was being discussed, I suppose - which was:

* "looking for answers in the transfer market is destined to fail" - I reckon everyone and their brother can see that that's not true. Then, with that original notion scraped (I assume) it moved to...

* 'Only those [from the academy] who are good enough should get the chance' - I also reckon that everyone can see that 'we' do in fact (and more than most) give lads from our academy a chance. That 'argument' put safely to bed, we moved again to...

* 'Because there aren't even more kids good enough [to force their way into a top team, with top four and title ambitions] - it's a damning indictment on our academy' - well... in my opinion... that's nonsense. Truth is: very, very, few of any kids, from any f**king academy (small or large) make it to the top table - much less force their way into a top class team - the fact is; the overwhelming majority of kids never 'make it'. Is that an indictment on our academy, the ability of the kids or... football in general?

Remember - if a player is good enough he will make - if not at their parent club, then somewhere else.

Again, I agree that if the player is good enough he will make it. But my point is we aren't making players that are merely 'good enough'. And that's down to bad decision making from the club in terms of coaching methods, etc.

Also, I realise that most academy players for any club never ever play for the senior squad and I don't have unrealistic ambitions. I am comparing the plight of our academies compared to the ones we see in Germany, Spain, Italy, etc and there is no getting away from the fact that their academies produce better youngsters and as a result, there is a much higher percentage of youth players who make the grade to the senior squad in those various countries than England's putrid record. And of course there's a major indictment on our youth academy - I think it's utter nonsense to suggest its a problem with football in general when a good number of clubs all over Europe (yes, even at the top clubs too) have a healthy number of homegrown products in a matchday squad. Heck, closer to home, how do you explain Southampton's success - they are the exception rather than the rule of English football, but there's a healthy number of academy graduates who make the match day squad every season. If they were a bigger club challenging for honours, then the likelihood would be that number being actually higher as opposed to them selling off their youth products (Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain to name a few).

As for us, what player, apart from Jon Flanagan in recent years, has proved a success at Liverpool since the turn of the 21st Century, or more accurately since Gerrard made his debut in 1998? Absolutely none and that is so disturbing of a club of our stature. Aside from Flanagan, we have gone through 17 years of not producing a successful homegrown product.

Now if that isn't a major indictment on our academy, then I don't know what is. There is no getting away from the fact we should be ashamed of the way we have let the Academy go to ruin. There's been major changes at the Academy since Rodgers came - lets assess our situation in a few years, but we can't carry on like that. We should be matching their quota by providing ourselves with a similar level of self-sufficiency.
      « Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015 04:41:49 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: Aug 19, 2015 06:43:27 pm

* 'Because there aren't even more kids good enough [to force their way into a top team, with top four and title ambitions] - it's a damning indictment on our academy' - well... in my opinion... that's nonsense. Truth is: very, very, few of any kids, from any f**king academy (small or large) make it to the top table - much less force their way into a top class team - the fact is; the overwhelming majority of kids never 'make it'. Is that an indictment on our academy, the ability of the kids or... football in general?

Which brings us back, neatly, to where you've decided come in FMS.

Although far removed from our [SoaG/myself] original debate, you make some very valid points and I totally agree. All kids should be educated to as high an academical level as is within their capabilities - obviously some will be more gifted than others [just like footballing ability  ;)]... if for no other reason than the fact that very, very, few will become professional footballers - even less at the highest [LFC, for e.g.] level. And... All clubs should have a social conscience.

Now what that has to do with maybe signing Illarramendi rather than give Jordan Rossiter a chance, f**k only knows  :laugh: but that aside it's been both very interesting and enjoyable reading your excellent post... once again, I totally agree.

Yeah apologies - I'd be the first to admit that it's waaay off topic with regards to the thread and your conversation :) Kind of developed into more than what I was going to say! But I thought I'd just add in my own extra opinion of what role the Academy should play above and beyond the footballing side of things. And as you say, many kids will be more gifted academically than others but we should do everything to give them every chance just like at footballing level.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Aug 20, 2015 10:13:26 am
      As for us, what player, apart from Jon Flanagan in recent years, has proved a success at Liverpool since the turn of the 21st Century, or more accurately since Gerrard made his debut in 1998? Absolutely none and that is so disturbing of a club of our stature. Aside from Flanagan, we have gone through 17 years of not producing a successful homegrown product.

I can only assume you mean 'Scouse' and through the ranks from a really early age SoaG because I would have had both Sterling and Ibe marked down as products of our youth policy. However I do get your drift.

Tell me this tho' - if our academy (like many, many, others) isn't producing enough young players deemed good enough to play in a team with title ambitions and if you agree that you can only put a player in if he's good enough - how can 'looking to the transfer market' not be the answer?

The fact is: until such times as we strike gold, it's the only answer.

The only Premier League club (that I can, genuinely, think of) which consistently produces top, young talent, is Southampton. Admittedly the Saints don't compete at the highest level but they do seem to have the academy system down to a tee and... it's a nice earner for them.

Way back I suggested that, instead of raiding Southampton for players, we raid their youth and scouting departments - maybe that's the answer but in the interim, ready-made, top quality is where we should be looking (in my opinion), if we want to keep pace and compete.

As for Illarramendi - I haven't seen and don't know enough about him to say if he's that top quality. Jordan, on the other hand, isn't ready yet but... if and when he is - I reckon he'll get a shot.

I'm outta here now; it's been good 'debating'. Good luck mate.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #17: Aug 20, 2015 05:16:34 pm

I can only assume you mean 'Scouse' and through the ranks from a really early age SoaG because I would have had both Sterling and Ibe marked down as products of our youth policy. However I do get your drift.

Tell me this tho' - if our academy (like many, many, others) isn't producing enough young players deemed good enough to play in a team with title ambitions and if you agree that you can only put a player in if he's good enough - how can 'looking to the transfer market' not be the answer?

The fact is: until such times as we strike gold, it's the only answer.

The only Premier League club (that I can, genuinely, think of) which consistently produces top, young talent, is Southampton. Admittedly the Saints don't compete at the highest level but they do seem to have the academy system down to a tee and... it's a nice earner for them.

Way back I suggested that, instead of raiding Southampton for players, we raid their youth and scouting departments - maybe that's the answer but in the interim, ready-made, top quality is where we should be looking (in my opinion), if we want to keep pace and compete.

As for Illarramendi - I haven't seen and don't know enough about him to say if he's that top quality. Jordan, on the other hand, isn't ready yet but... if and when he is - I reckon he'll get a shot.

I'm outta here now; it's been good 'debating'. Good luck mate.

Again I have to be more specific here - I agree with that, but it's not the long term solution. If we're still doing the same in ten years time then we are just constantly treading water.

The problem with some is that they believe it is the only answer. But a bit of innovation could go a long way in setting us up nicely for the future.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2015 05:21:11 pm
      Are people seriously suggesting Rossiter as a viable first team option at the moment? Jesus he's absolutely miles away, may never get there.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2015 05:47:41 pm
      Are people seriously suggesting Rossiter as a viable first team option at the moment? Jesus he's absolutely miles away, may never get there.

Erm, no.

If you read my post properly you will see that - despite being heralded as one of the brightest talents and if the brightest talent isn't good enough to get in the senior squad, then it just continues to show what average players we continue to produce. I hope he is a top talent who will find a place in the senior squad of course.

Constantly overspending in the transfer market to plug holes in the squad when that is precisely what an academy is for is never going to see us achieve anything. Illarramendi - if he comes - isn't necessarily going to go straight into the first XI, so we're spending a lot of money merely to give us depth in that area.

In terms of 'elite' clubs, I stated we are very much the underdogs, and that we are attempting a similar strategy to fellow underdogs like Dortmund and Athletico Madrid in the transfer market. But what differs with Liverpool FC to them is that we don't even have a half decent academy like theirs - perhaps their star players aren't from the academy, but there are important members of the senior squad from the academy providing depth and talent.

These clubs aren't having to fork out shitloads of money when a position on the field needs strengthening (and not necessarily a player for the first XI), as they have solid replacements who graduated from the academy. What money is usually saved from their prosperous academy is pooled towards going that little bit further for the player that really makes a difference.

I refuse to believe any bullshit that Academies don't make a difference - that is just total rubbish. If we had an academy even as good as Southampton's, then even the quality they provide from their academy would provide capable depth for a club of Liverpool's standard. I'm not looking for the next Messi necessarily, but stength and depth by which an academy MUST provide to a club.

Anyone who neglects such an important part of Liverpool's history is doing themselves a disservice as a fan if they don't see it as important. Not only is it important in providing a squad capable of winning trophies, but the local talent that comes through has a commitment and dedication to the club like no other player, and provides a communitarian link to the club that we are losing.

Apart from Flanagan who is out injured, it's a chilling thought that this is the first time in Liverpool FC's history that NO local lad from in and around Merseyside is a member of the senior squad.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2015 06:07:01 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2015 06:09:42 pm

Apart from Flanagan who is out injured, it's a chilling thought that this is the first time in Liverpool FC's history that NO local lad from in and around Merseyside is a member of the senior squad.

Does it really matter that much, the vast majority of our fan base is global and not from Merseyside.

Its more important that we start winning trophies than worrying about the how many scousers there are in the team.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2015 06:39:29 pm
      Does it really matter that much, the vast majority of our fan base is global and not from Merseyside.

Its more important that we start winning trophies than worrying about the how many scousers there are in the team.

agree 100%
      I am pretty sure that if there was a good enough player for the senior squad that is from Liverpool he would be in it
      we had our fair share of  great footballers who were/are scousers
      at the moment there ain't  good enough
      cannot afford to include a player just because he is a Liverpool born guy, and not good enough for the team
      apart from that as you said the fanbase is world wide
      I for one am not even  english , let alone from Liverpool, But I have supported the reds all my life, so really I don't care if a player is from katmandu, as long as he is good and helps the team to succeed

YNWA

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2015 07:37:26 pm

:mad:
      Yes it is does - I cannot believe some people underestimate the importance of needing to produce talented local lads in a team. It is the clubs duty to create talented lads from the area - and we are failing that big time. It takes a lot of heart and commitment away from the team without it. Imagine if Gerrard and Carragher weren't Liverpool players in that 2005 Champions League final. Wouldn't have won it, simple as that. Imagine if the great Liverpool sides had been deprived of its homegrown talent, then we wouldn't have dominated the game like we did. Again, read my post to show the importance of academies to the successful teams around Europe - it is not mere sentiment that is driving my belief in the importance of the academy. In addition to that, take away a heap of local heroes of the clubs history and you are left with a club without the distinctive identity that we pride ourselves on.

And besides, the promotion of local lads in the squad provides a communitarian link to the city and environment that surrounds Liverpool FC. It is for the benefit of Liverpool and its surroundings that young lads from the area make the grade at the football club.

Let's remember that Liverpool FC was created as a club to provide communitarian benefits - if you lose all of that links - and modern football has seen to it that that has been all but destroyed - then the club ceases the purpose it was originally meant to serve. And for a club that has a proud communitarian heritage, you lose a lot of what makes Liverpool great. What the locals give to the club, the club must give back, and it is the duty of Liverpool FC to serve its people, and providing the city with a renowned youth setup provides a great avenue by which to get young lads into the game.

By all means, in this FIFA and Football Manager generation of football fans, its easy to think this is all trivial. Well that's the marketisation of the game which has brainwashed fans into thinking the importance of the academy is trivial in which we get stupid tw*ts on twitter spouting crap about which players we should get yet have no chance in hell of signing. Relying solely on the transfer market is the narrow minded, modern football fans belief.

It takes INNOVATION within the club (i.e. the academy), as well as SMART THINKING in the transfer market. Relying on just one of these won't see us any success - and it's the latter strategy we have pursued in the 21st century without any hint of concern about our academy. It's no surprise then that we have come up short of our own high expectations of the club for so many years now.

Quick Reply