Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Europa league Draw- Liverpool in pot 2

Read 11665 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Europa league Draw- Liverpool in pot 2
      Reply #69: Aug 28, 2015 10:26:41 pm
      Long slog this competition. Would be great to win a trophy, but BR will have to use the squad for these matches. League imo has to be the priority. Chance for some guys not in the weekend starting XI to put down a marker.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #70: Aug 28, 2015 10:41:25 pm
      It's the mid week trek to Russia that's the problem.

Yeah.  That'll be a big problem for the all the kids that get sent there.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #71: Aug 28, 2015 10:43:38 pm
      Yeah.  That'll be a big problem for the all the kids that get sent there.

Shouldn't be a problem for the kids getting an opportunity to play for the biggest club in the world................

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #72: Aug 28, 2015 10:46:58 pm

Two matches more than the Champions League.  And as fourth placed United have already played two matches then we would have the same number of games in the EL as United would have in the CL (if we were both to win the respective comps).

I've never heard anybody refer to the Champions League as a long slog.

Priority should be League > Europa > FA Cup > League Cup.

I'd imagine for Brendan he might be best to keep all options open.  He seemed to forget that last season when he relegated the Champions League down the order after a couple of bad results.

Depending on how our run of away games goes the Europa League could well be our most realistic chance of getting back into the Champions League.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #73: Aug 28, 2015 11:09:07 pm
      Quote from littleface
      I agree , that was an amazing trip. The atmosphere was fantastic. That was before UEFA destroyed one of the great european competitions. The UEFA cup was fantastic. Now its just a mish mash of teams.

UEFA didn't destroy it all, it's still the UEFA Cup, with even the same trophy at stake. The only difference now is a silly marketing name. Same with the European Cup.

The stadiums we will play in are more than good enough, otherwise UEFA wouldn't allow them to play there, and the pitches will be fine. No excuses for that either. Like I said, get out there, get the job done, go home.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #74: Aug 28, 2015 11:11:46 pm
      Two matches more than the Champions League.  And as fourth placed United have already played two matches then we would have the same number of games in the EL as United would have in the CL (if we were both to win the respective comps).

I've never heard anybody refer to the Champions League as a long slog.

I'd imagine for Brendan he might be best to keep all options open.  He seemed to forget that last season when he relegated the Champions League down the order after a couple of bad results.

Depending on how our run of away games goes the Europa League could well be our most realistic chance of getting back into the Champions League.
      Yeh, whats the difference between playing Wednesday and Saturday.
      Or Thursday and Sunday.once again its a myth of Football
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #75: Aug 28, 2015 11:18:45 pm
      UEFA didn't destroy it all, it's still the UEFA Cup, with even the same trophy at stake. The only difference now is a silly marketing name. Same with the European Cup.

The stadiums we will play in are more than good enough, otherwise UEFA wouldn't allow them to play there, and the pitches will be fine. No excuses for that either. Like I said, get out there, get the job done, go home.

Its not the same as the UEFA CUP .
      mate.The UEFA cup would be the cream of the European teams competing for their national leagues. The Champions league wrecked that. Only the winners of each league competed in the EUROPEAN CUP, but, the UEFA CUP had a plethora of upcoming league champions. Crammed with quality players. In fact ( IMO) the UEFA CUP was actually THE premium trophy to win.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #76: Aug 28, 2015 11:26:46 pm

Money destroyed it mate. Celtic got over £8million for getting knocked out of the CL at the first time of asking, we will get less than that for winning the UEFA cup.

Same as the Premier league money and the chance to qualify for the CL has destroyed the FA cup. Better to win nothing and come 4th than win a major cup? How can that be right? 

Like most things in sport now, money is king and EVERYONE has to bow down to our new god.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #77: Aug 28, 2015 11:26:56 pm
      And the European Cup used to be reserved for champions only, not for a quarter of someone's league championship, as is the case this year. Yet nobody complains about how that cheapens the competition.

The UEFA Cup has plenty of champions and strong teams in it. Our group is a challenging group. But give me a game against Bordeaux over a game against Bournemouth any day of the week.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #78: Aug 29, 2015 12:01:52 am
      Not the easiest draw we could have hoped for but at the same time, we should be wining these games home and away. No excuses, I expect this competition to be taken seriously this season. Last year was an embarrassment for the club in Europe that was borderline disgrace on how we went about the games, in both European competitions.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #79: Aug 29, 2015 12:47:22 am
      FC Sion.

Where the **** is that?

Somewhere near the rivers of Babylon, perhaps?

(He ducks). ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #80: Aug 29, 2015 01:07:27 am
      Quote from s@int
      Money destroyed it mate. Celtic got over £8million for getting knocked out of the CL at the first time of asking, we will get less than that for winning the UEFA cup.

Same as the Premier league money and the chance to qualify for the CL has destroyed the FA cup. Better to win nothing and come 4th than win a major cup? How can that be right? 

Like most things in sport now, money is king and EVERYONE has to bow down to our new god.

Celtic got the income they're due. What use is it to them? Parade it on top of a bus? The amount they got wouldn't buy us a decent player nowadays. I don't know how much is going for winning the other competition, but I'm sure it's worth less than what City paid out to us for just one player this summer.

Europe isn't all about money, it's about winning. It's about winning in Berlin, or winning in Barcelona, or winning in Rome, or even winning in Russia. The money lasts a few days. The memories last a lifetime.
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2015 01:34:29 am by lfc across the water »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #81: Aug 29, 2015 01:42:50 am
      Celtic got the income they're due. What use is it to them? Parade it on top of a bus? The amount they got wouldn't buy us a decent player nowadays. I don't know how much is going for winning the other competition, but I'm sure it's worth less than what City paid out to us for just one player this summer.

Europe isn't all about money, it's about winning. It's about winning in Munich, or winning in Madrid, or winning in Rome, or even in Russia. The money lasts a few days. The memories last a lifetime.

Which is why the UEFA CUP has lost it's prestige. Celtic's record transfer fee is much less than £8million mate, while ours is much more than the paltry £6million or so we would get for winning the Uefa cup. 

For most English fans receiving £20million or more for progressing to the knockout stage of the CL is much more important than winning the UEFA CUP because they believe that with the extra money that the CL provides they may get better players.

All about money... few care anymore about the glory of actually winning a cup for it's own sake, which is why most fans and all owners would prefer their team to finish top four even with little or no chance of actually winning the CL ,than win one of the other cups.

The disdain and dismissal shown to Kenny after reaching the final of the FA CUP and winning the League cup by the owners and many fans proves that.     
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #82: Aug 29, 2015 10:04:12 am
      There is no difficulty in the trip. This is one of the greatest myths in football, started by Wenger.
      If you travel economy on your own , any flight is usually a pain in the arse. Yet, if there is anyone out there who, like me has travelled long distance first class, they will tell you it is a joy.
      Footballers travel business class and don't have to arrange anything themselves , other than handing in their passports. No stress, no worry.
      It has no effect on their ability whatsoever to perform.

I agree mate. What I was saying and I should expanded more on it, is that we will be travelling to Russia and back in around 30hrs and then we need to play on Sunday. They will be tired nothing more. We should play in the fourth game some fringe players and Brendan needs to learn to rotate his squad more in Europe. Rafa was brilliant in this but lost constituency.

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #83: Aug 29, 2015 07:18:59 pm
      We went to Besiktas last season and played City three days later. Winning the league game after Europe was no problem then, and it shouldn't be a problem now.

The UEFA Cup has not lost any prestige. What it has is an image problem. If we played them on Tuesday nights, and the European Cup games were all on Wednesdays instead, as it was until 1999, that image problem among English clubs/public would disappear. There's nothing to stop UEFA doing it, but getting them to actually do it is another matter.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #84: Aug 29, 2015 07:25:59 pm
      FC Sion.

Where the **** is that?

(He ducks). ;)

Boney M werent they German or Austrian too
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #85: Sep 03, 2015 11:06:09 am
      Our Europa Squad:

Simon Mignolet, Adam Bogdan

Nathaniel Clyne, Kolo Toure, Dejan Lovren, Joe Gomez, Mamadou Sakho, Alberto Moreno, Martin Skrtel

James Milner, Philippe Coutinho, Roberto Firmino, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Lucas Leiva, Emre Can, Joe Allen

Christian Benteke, Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi, Danny Ings
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4877 
      Reply #86: Sep 03, 2015 11:32:04 am
      No Texiera?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #87: Sep 03, 2015 11:47:52 am
      FC Sion.

Where the **** is that?

(He ducks). ;)

Switzerland, we have played and beaten them before ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #88: Sep 03, 2015 12:16:26 pm
      Boney M werent they German or Austrian too

Nah, boney plays for citeh . When he played for Vitesse Arnhem they played daddy cool by boney m if he scored at home.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #89: Sep 03, 2015 01:05:41 pm

You don't have to name the kids right? Or is that just the Premier League?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #90: Sep 03, 2015 01:06:54 pm

Tex is 23 so no longer a youngster.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4877 
      Reply #91: Sep 03, 2015 01:45:08 pm

Isn't he too old to be classed as a kid JD?

Almost 23 isn't he?

Quick Reply