Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Older fans v younger fans

Read 9046 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Re: Older fans v younger fans
      Reply #23: Aug 29, 2015 07:29:10 pm
      What a sh*t thread!

So we were lucky beating the Champions of England and the Champions of Italy en-route.

And it's thanks to Littleface we got shut of Rafa for the F***ing owl.

Cheers lid!! You sure you're not Christian Purslow?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #24: Aug 29, 2015 07:31:53 pm
      Quote from Son Of A Gun
      That's all very well, but just a word of warning to the anti-Rodgers brigade - for those who wanted Rafa out, well they sure got their wish.

And then in came Hodgson.

Yes we did get our wish. The days of losing at Wigan and Portsmouth had to stop. In came wins at home to Chelsea, a feat rendered completely impossible just 6 months earlier. We even managed a routine home win against Aston Villa, where we were thrashed the previous season, and a Herculean task nowadays.

The European group was wrapped up with a game to spare, compared to going out of the European Cup the previous year with a game to spare. It's the only time I've ever seen calls for someone to be fired on the same night as winning a European group.

No I wouldn't have him back. But then I wouldn't have the bloke he replaced back either. He had 6 years to win a league spending a zillion quid on superstars, Hodgson had 6 months spending peanuts on superduds. But their failure to bring it home is one of the few things they share here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #25: Aug 29, 2015 07:42:23 pm
      Yes we did get our wish. The days of losing at Wigan and Portsmouth had to stop. In came wins at home to Chelsea, a feat rendered completely impossible just 6 months earlier. We even managed a routine home win against Aston Villa, where we were thrashed the previous season, and a Herculean task nowadays.

The European group was wrapped up with a game to spare, compared to going out of the European Cup the previous year with a game to spare. It's the only time I've ever seen calls for someone to be fired on the same night as winning a European group.

No I wouldn't have him back. But then I wouldn't have the bloke he replaced back either. He had 6 years to win a league spending a zillion quid on superstars, Hodgson had 6 months spending peanuts on superduds. But their failure to bring it home is one of the few things they share here.

Ah well maybe if we had been a bit more patient like United's fans were, it may well have paid off in the end.

You know just like it did in the end in 1993 when Ferguson finally did it after seven years!

Love how 5 and 6 years seem to be the timescale for F***ing a manager off.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4923 
      Reply #26: Aug 29, 2015 09:57:56 pm
      I first saw Liverpool play in 1978, my brother took me to Anfield  and it was not the actual game i remember vividly, but the atmosphere.

Nothing personal mate but the way you post on here and the style you use I always thought you were a teenager.

No offense to some of the young ones we have on here either by the way but I'm sure you get my drift.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #27: Aug 29, 2015 11:09:24 pm
      Love how 5 and 6 years seem to be the timescale for f**king a manager off.

Brendan wishes that was the case right now. He'd love to make it here that long.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #28: Aug 29, 2015 11:10:32 pm
      Nothing personal mate but the way you post on here and the style you use I always thought you were a teenager.

No offense to some of the young ones we have on here either by the way but I'm sure you get my drift.

Well he very well could be a teenager...he also may not have been to the game he claims in 1978...unless anyone on this forum knows him personally it could all just be a made up story.

Just like I might not really be from Florida...but none of you would know unless you came to visit ;D
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #29: Aug 29, 2015 11:10:55 pm
      I preferred it when the European Cup was a 2 leg knock out competition and you got 2 points for a win in the league, oh and while your at it...you could pass back to your goalie...
      The magic sponge was in use then and players got up and got on with it, non of this theatricals...

My dad still to this day reckons he's seen no one better at Anfield in a red shirt than Peter Thompson....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4923 
      Reply #30: Aug 29, 2015 11:16:41 pm
      Well he very well could be a teenager...he also may not have been to the game he claims in 1978...unless anyone on this forum knows him personally it could all just be a made up story.

Just like I might not really be from Florida...but none of you would know unless you came to visit ;D

That an invite then mate?

My missus is always asking when were going to Florida. ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #31: Aug 30, 2015 01:07:59 am
      That an invite then mate?

My missus is always asking when were going to Florida. ;D

Not many extra beds Si, but I'd be happy to play host and show you around!

Airport code is RSW ;D Just give me a couple weeks heads up!

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #32: Aug 30, 2015 08:40:02 am
      Well, good to see that at least a couple of you got what i was trying to do. Although i just loved the way the " tiny mind brigade " rushed out and, took a thread that is about PERSPECTIVE, as some sort of assault on their status as a  LIVERPOOL fan.

Age and experience will shape your perspective on all matters in life , including football. I cannot believe that fans view football the same way at the age of , say 55, as they did when they were 20. These are the contrasts i am speaking about.

Trying to create division? No. We are all LIVERPOOL fans , but we are certainly not the same. And why would we be?

Ah yes, i don' t rate Rafa , not everyone did. Get over it. If you want to rate Rafa till you are red in the face , by all means, be my guest. ( in fact, i think a few of you do )
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #33: Aug 30, 2015 08:53:10 am

A teenager ? i wish. What pattern do teenagers posts take?
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2015 11:38:10 am by littleface »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #34: Aug 30, 2015 08:56:34 am
      As an older fan of Liverpool, I am sure I speak for many when I find performances of the side unacceptable, last season and so far this season. Apart from the season when we finished runners up, this has gone on for far too long and something needs to change very quickly to stop the club sliding into further decline.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #35: Aug 30, 2015 11:17:25 am
      I'm 24, been watching Liverpool for 16 years because my father had me watch lfc games at 8 years old, I only watched live game at Anfield once; I'm Maltese; not English; not a scouser;

BUT f**k no! Noone will ever try to tell me I'm not a real Liverpool fan and supporter because I'm young or I'm not from Liverpool.

Sh*t thread!

I'm curious , but just who did?
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #36: Aug 30, 2015 11:31:20 am
      What about the fans who grew up in the 50s when we were a second division side? Do they think, f**king hell we're doing some great sh*t right now because they saw us at our lowest?

Congratulations. Not all of us were fortunate enough to be born in that time period, it's not something we can alter.

My first game was in 95 and the atmosphere was just as good as anything in the 70s/80s.

No you don't. Most young people actually rebel against their elders, that's how life evolves.

Surely this entire thread is the opposite of this sentence. You're saying we're all accepted regardless of our age, yet you're questioning whether young fans understand the game as well as older fans.

That's because it was the norm. "I've been here during the bad times too, we came second once." Wembley was affectionately known as Anfield South. Winning trophies was the norm for this club.

That's just daft. Nobody has a right to anything, they have to work for it and that's what was installed into the club's fabric.

You just assumed we turned up without prior work?

When did Everton rise?

Taken what mantle? We're still the greatest club in the world, we're still the most successful club in England so what mantle have they taken?

So you paid more attention to Liverpool than other teams, well f**king done. That's what a Liverpool fan should be doing.

Well that's plainly obvious why.

Well that's a load of bollocks because we did have European stories, even before Rafa arrived. There was the joy of 2001 for starters, telling tales of beating Roma, Porto, Barcelona and the final against Alaves. There's the night Gerard Houllier returned to the dugout in 2002 against Roma, one of the all-time great atmospheres in Anfield history. The complete f**k up against Leverkusen in the same year. The heartache of Basel in 03. The 6-3 against Sion in 96, which still ranks as one of my best European nights. So we did have stories to tell.

Rafa Benitez simply gave us more stories to tell.

As for growing sick of hearing of those from yesteryear, I don't know any fan who gets sick of hearing about our successes. I love hearing those stories.

We had THE greatest European story.

But Rafa Benitez didn't give us to us, Liverpool Football Club did. We were all in it together. Rafa set us up, the players put his plans into action and the fans enjoyed it along the way.

Don't be so f**king stupid.

I know many fans who've been going the game from the 60s onwards and they've never said we were lucky, rather they talk about us winning our 5th European Cup. And this poor team, doesn't get lucky 15 times which is the amount of games we played in Europe that season. We won because we deserved to.

Sammy Lee is a hero and he'll be the first to admit his job was just to run round. When we played Bayern Munich in the 81 European Cup semi, Sammy's job was solely to run after Rummenigge and the German hardly got a kick over two legs because of it. So it's not just "younger" fans who give hero status to players who just a lot.

Also, a lot of "older" fans consider some of these modern day players who "run around a lot" to be heroes as well.

It's a case of Liverpool fans supporting their f**king club. Like we did in the 1800s right through to the modern day.

I have to say , that i shall cherish this post for a long time. A wonderfully , misguided and totally misconstrued overreaction  to anything i 've seen on this forum.
      Beautifully put together mind you. I'm willing to guess that you get offended if someone change's the TV channel in your house.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #37: Aug 30, 2015 11:35:41 am

I went to Florida for my honeymoon .
      Or did i?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #38: Aug 30, 2015 12:41:33 pm

I was reading between the lines.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #39: Aug 30, 2015 04:20:06 pm
      Well, good to see that at least a couple of you got what i was trying to do. Although i just loved the way the " tiny mind brigade " rushed out and, took a thread that is about PERSPECTIVE, as some sort of assault on their status as a  LIVERPOOL fan.

Age and experience will shape your perspective on all matters in life , including football. I cannot believe that fans view football the same way at the age of , say 55, as they did when they were 20. These are the contrasts i am speaking about.

Trying to create division? No. We are all LIVERPOOL fans , but we are certainly not the same. And why would we be?

Ah yes, i don' t rate Rafa , not everyone did. Get over it. If you want to rate Rafa till you are red in the face , by all means, be my guest. ( in fact, i think a few of you do )

Don't take everything you read too seriously! Dark times, dark humour and all that!! ;)
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #40: Aug 30, 2015 05:13:17 pm
      Yeah some of us are just having a laugh little face, chill man...

You've opened yourself up for a bit of stick having a forum name like little face if you ask me..

The title of the thread suggests its a poll of some kind between older fans and younger fans and who is the most loyal..

I'm 51 now, my brother 3 years younger and my dad 73, all have LFC in our DNA and will never change..
      Me n my Bro have passed that DNA on to our kids and they are just as passionate as we were in the late 70's and 80's...

The only thing i'll say is that back then we didn't have mobile phones, internet, sky tv, face tube, twitter etc.. without sounding like Victor Meldrew we just had our weekly visit to Anfield, Saint n Greavsie,Soccer annual,  The Big Match and the Echo Pull outs when we
      won a trophy...
      Not a lot to deflect your train of thought away from the last performance apart from a game down the local park with all your mates..

The younger fans of today can, and will switch off, once the ref blows the final whistle and turn their entertainment to a gadget or device of some kind and melt what pain they felt, after that defeat, away..

That is not patronising at all, it's an observation mate, my two lads and many more do it every week.

I watched the game yesterday with my eldest lad who is 16 and a red since he could kick a ball..at the final whistle he just left the room went straight on Facebook and then went out with his mates, came back , had his tea then spent 4 hours on GTA on line laughing an joking..
      I'm still very numb and have had to go to the off license again for more Rum.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #41: Aug 30, 2015 10:30:18 pm
      Yeah some of us are just having a laugh little face, chill man...

You've opened yourself up for a bit of stick having a forum name like little face if you ask me..

The title of the thread suggests its a poll of some kind between older fans and younger fans and who is the most loyal..

I'm 51 now, my brother 3 years younger and my dad 73, all have LFC in our DNA and will never change..
      Me n my Bro have passed that DNA on to our kids and they are just as passionate as we were in the late 70's and 80's...

The only thing i'll say is that back then we didn't have mobile phones, internet, sky tv, face tube, twitter etc.. without sounding like Victor Meldrew we just had our weekly visit to Anfield, Saint n Greavsie,Soccer annual,  The Big Match and the Echo Pull outs when we
      won a trophy...
      Not a lot to deflect your train of thought away from the last performance apart from a game down the local park with all your mates..

The younger fans of today can, and will switch off, once the ref blows the final whistle and turn their entertainment to a gadget or device of some kind and melt what pain they felt, after that defeat, away..

That is not patronising at all, it's an observation mate, my two lads and many more do it every week.

I watched the game yesterday with my eldest lad who is 16 and a red since he could kick a ball..at the final whistle he just left the room went straight on Facebook and then went out with his mates, came back , had his tea then spent 4 hours on GTA on line laughing an joking..
      I'm still very numb and have had to go to the off license again for more Rum.

If only you knew where the name LITTLEFACE comes from!!. But thats a different story.
      Your post is quite simply one of the answers i was looking for. When i was young , you took only what you had just seen at the game .Plus the newspaper report , to assess what you had just watched.

Today , fans have 24 hr replays , phone ins, forums and social media immediately after a game. surely this must distort anyones train of thought.

I certainly do not see football the way i saw it in my teens. I don't have the hatred of rivals any more. I'm still obviously tribal when we play ,but; i tend to enjoy great football no matter what colour the team is wearing.

When it comes to LIVERPOOL i still judge teams and players on what i saw in my youth. I make no apology for this as, it is just human nature.

My point of the thread is , how the younger fan gauge their judgement of a team and player whilst having witnessed only barren spells in league football
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #42: Aug 30, 2015 10:54:29 pm

My point of the thread is , how the younger fan gauge their judgement of a team and player whilst having witnessed only barren spells in league football

I imagine they judge them the same way that you or I did when we were younger, by watching them and making their own mind up.

As you say football is everywhere nowadays but I'd like to think that younger fans- to whatever their level of understanding is- make up their own minds about what they watch no matter if some lid on sky sports news try's to tell them differently.

When I was younger it was just going to the match rather than having all the modern day access to the game but you still had mates with opposing views or your auld fella and his mates giving their opinion, but for the most part I made my own view on what I saw, I'd like to think even though it's more widely accessible it's still the same

ive mellowed over the years in terms of hatred too, I still want us to batter the blues or the mancs and still go for the banter but my outright hatred has stemmed a little..

I don't watch much footy apart from our lot though, I don't have the time or the real inclination. I remember as a kid it being all about the match, that unbridled joy and anticipation of that 90 mins.. it's different as you get older, it conjures different feelings.

But surely how a fan judges a player is still subjective? Through their eyes and of their opinion no matter their age or that there is coverage everywhere now
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #43: Aug 31, 2015 12:51:37 pm

I kinda hope you're not from Florida, at least once a week I seem to hear a new way a Floridian has tried to win a Darwin Award, so much so, that on another forum I use, Floridian Man has become a synonym for idiot yokel.  No offence intended FL, in fact my best wishes, because one of them might be your neighbour.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #44: Aug 31, 2015 02:51:06 pm
      There's been a hurricane brewing over Florida hasn't there?..
      Hope your life is still in one piece matey...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #45: Aug 31, 2015 03:00:16 pm
      I kinda hope you're not from Florida, at least once a week I seem to hear a new way a Floridian has tried to win a Darwin Award, so much so, that on another forum I use, Floridian Man has become a synonym for idiot yokel.  No offence intended FL, in fact my best wishes, because one of them might be your neighbour.

Oh there's a few floating around that's for sure....Florida is a well known haven for some of the backward, outcast types of society.

Salty ocean air cures most of what ails a person though so one day they'll plant me here in the sand somewhere. ;)

Quick Reply