Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      10 (13.5%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (5.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (2.7%)
      James Milner
      14 (18.9%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      10 (13.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (2.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (4.1%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Danny Ings
      25 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Sep 03, 2015 10:33:06 pm

Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: In game and Post Match Despair

Read 48740 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: In game and Post Match Despair
      Reply #690: Sep 03, 2015 01:13:58 pm
      While I agree with you about his discipline and he is definitely guilty of the occasional WTF moment I would much rather see Shelvey in our squad than Lallana or Allen. He has that fighter mentality and I'll always love his celebration and that moment with Slur Alco. He can also really pass a ball, love players who put that extra bit of energy into the pass that makes the receiving player's job/options that much greater and Shelvey does that all the time.

Producing moments of magic and having admirable aspects to the game is fine for a mid-table club like Swansea - teams competing for teh top need more consistency and discipline - Hazard , Schweinstiger etc have that mental fortitude.

Maybe Shelvey can develop that but we can't afford to wait - unless you're happy with mediocrity of course.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #691: Sep 03, 2015 01:17:56 pm
      Producing moments of magic and having admirable aspects to the game is fine for a mid-table club like Swansea - teams competing for teh top need more consistency and discipline - Hazard , Schweinstiger etc have that mental fortitude.

Maybe Shelvey can develop that but we can't afford to wait - unless you're happy with mediocrity of course.

But you just said in another thread we can't afford elite players!

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #692: Sep 03, 2015 01:20:08 pm
      But you just said in another thread we can't afford elite players!

We can't - we can afford players who are more consistent and disciplined than Shelvey though; Henderson being an example.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #693: Sep 03, 2015 01:29:12 pm
      We can't - we can afford players who are more consistent and disciplined than Shelvey though; Henderson being an example.

I would disagree if we didn't waste so much money on punts and mid level players we can afford the hazards et al

Balo - £16M
      Marko - £20M
      Lallana - £25M

Those fees and wages and you can look at a Reus (insert any player you want).

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #694: Sep 03, 2015 01:56:22 pm
      Charlie Adam  :lmao:

As for Shelvey he doesn't have the discipline to play in the middle for a side challenging for the title - maybe he will one day maybe he won't. Right now Swansea is the right level for him - how many years would you be prepared to wait to see if your gamble paid off?

I wouldn't have sold Jonjo and would have been patient with him.

As much as I think Allen is underrated on here I'd have Jonjo any day of the week over Joe.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #695: Sep 03, 2015 01:57:15 pm

Absolutely detest mediocrity but as you've just stated in another thread we should be improving step by step. Allen and Lallana are backwards steps on Shelvey, we've taken many more steps backwards than we have forwards since Brendan's arrival.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,168 posts | 6344 
      Reply #696: Sep 03, 2015 02:02:55 pm
      Absolutely detest mediocrity but as you've just stated in another thread we should be improving step by step. Allen and Lallana are backwards steps on Shelvey, we've taken many more steps backwards than we have forwards since Brendan's arrival.

I disagree, Lallana is technically far superior to Shelvey and much more level headed and football intelligent. I'm not sure why all of the sudden we are making Shelvey out to be some sort of hero. He was a decent footballer who somehow thought he was the next Stevie G. He's not.

I'm not even sure if he's better than Allen when little Joe is fit. The argument is there, but more than likely they are a bit different players and not really suited for a one to one comparison.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #697: Sep 03, 2015 02:04:48 pm
      I disagree, Lallana is technically far superior to Shelvey and much more level headed and football intelligent. I'm not sure why all of the sudden we are making Shelvey out to be some sort of hero. He was a decent footballer who somehow thought he was the next Stevie G. He's not.

I'm not even sure if he's better than Allen when little Joe is fit. The argument is there, but more than likely they are a bit different players and not really suited for a one to one comparison.

He's a different player to Allen FL but he's a better footballer.

I've always rated him and think he has it all for a midfield player.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #698: Sep 03, 2015 02:26:19 pm

It's clear we're never going to agree on where each of us sees Lallana but I think you do a disservice to Shelvey. There's no hero status for Shelvey (other than the Fergie antics) but what I'm saying is he's more the type we lack severely.

Yes technically Lallana is better, but only in terms of close control, Shelvey's passing range is fantastic and he is much more of a threat from outside the box than Lallana is. In any case this isn't a 'we need Shelvey' because I wouldn't want us to buy him, we need much better but it's just my opinion that even needing better than Shelvey I'd have him back ahead of players we see regularly in the first team.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #699: Sep 03, 2015 03:42:13 pm
      It's clear we're never going to agree on where each of us sees Lallana but I think you do a disservice to Shelvey. There's no hero status for Shelvey (other than the Fergie antics) but what I'm saying is he's more the type we lack severely.

Yes technically Lallana is better, but only in terms of close control, Shelvey's passing range is fantastic and he is much more of a threat from outside the box than Lallana is. In any case this isn't a 'we need Shelvey' because I wouldn't want us to buy him, we need much better but it's just my opinion that even needing better than Shelvey I'd have him back ahead of players we see regularly in the first team.

we do need better but we haven't bought better have we. The only concern I had with Shelvey was his lapse in concentration and he seems to have sorted that out.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,699 posts | 565 
      Reply #700: Sep 03, 2015 03:50:17 pm
      Still can't believe we lost to that shower 3-0 at home. F***ing ell
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #701: Sep 03, 2015 04:37:30 pm

If Shelvey was "better" than Lallana there would have been a host of clubs scrapping for his signature at £5m  - even paying four time that price would have been a bargain given that lallana went for £25m.

But even if he was worth a hundred million there is a question of how well he would fit our team. Playing shelvey in front of Lovren would be an open invitation to getting kicked in the balls.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #702: Sep 03, 2015 10:24:55 pm

Is that not what we have become "Mediocre".... Only Sturrigde and Coutinho stand out on a regular basis the rest, may as well be playing for Sunderland... We spend all our money on players with "Potential" hoping that they will one day become good, and if that should happen we sale them on and in the meanwhile we are slipping further and further from the top four, making it harder and harder to attach decent talent, short of being a stepping stone to a big club. Maybe some of the supporters here do not think that Liverpool is no longer a big club, but I feel that is how players view us now.Even fifth place is becoming a fight. And at this rate in two or three years from now we will be a mid to lower table team 
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #703: Sep 03, 2015 10:51:06 pm
      So how many "world class/elite" players do we need to beat our four rivals to the title, how do we persuade them to come and where do we find the money to buy them?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #704: Sep 03, 2015 11:43:36 pm
      So how many "world class/elite" players do we need to beat our four rivals to the title

One or two

Money and ambition

And where do we find the money to buy them?

We earn plenty. We just don't spend it correctly, we lack thinking like the big club we are

Mission statement complete  :)

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V West Ham
      Reply #705: Sep 05, 2015 10:08:19 am
      I can't recall one person saying this after the Arsenal and Bournemouth games.
      In all honest mate, I  have been saying this all a long about both Balotelli and Benteke and been screaming for Javier Hernandez...This is what Harry Redknapp said recently....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11838253/Liverpool-news-Harry-Redknapp-attacks-worst-Anfield-side-I-have-seen-in-years.html

Regardless of what you think of the man, when your right your right
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #706: Sep 05, 2015 10:17:38 am
      In all honest mate, I  have been saying this all a long about both Balotelli and Benteke and been screaming for Javier Hernandez...This is what Harry Redknapp said recently....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11838253/Liverpool-news-Harry-Redknapp-attacks-worst-Anfield-side-I-have-seen-in-years.html

Harry Redknapp? You're agreeing with Harry Redknapp? Where's the neg button!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8514 
      Reply #707: Sep 05, 2015 10:19:16 am

That'll be Harry "Brown Envelope" Redknapp then!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #708: Sep 05, 2015 11:19:42 am

Terrific,Terrific......
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #709: Sep 05, 2015 12:38:25 pm

I think we will see things better once Sturridge is fit, I think Benteke may thrive once he has someone up front with him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #710: Sep 05, 2015 04:08:21 pm
      I think we will see things better once Sturridge is fit, I think Benteke may thrive once he has someone up front with him.

So why hasn't Benteke had somoebody up front with him so far and why wait for Sturridge.He will probably play as a wing back claiming its all part of his re introduction to the team
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #711: Sep 05, 2015 11:02:49 pm
      So why hasn't Benteke had somoebody up front with him so far and why wait for Sturridge.He will probably play as a wing back claiming its all part of his re introduction to the team

Precisely, If that is the system we intended to play when Sturridge is fit again then indeed; why are we not playing it now?
      And who are we going to sacrifice to make room for Sturrigde?, will we go back to a back three?... Either way both Ings and Origi must be praying for Benteke to pick up a knock so they can get some game time
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #712: Sep 05, 2015 11:24:19 pm
      So why hasn't Benteke had somoebody up front with him so far and why wait for Sturridge.

Because we signed two other strikers so therefore we are going to leave them on the bench and bring on Moreno...

Quick Reply