Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Brendan Rodgers VS Rafael Benitez Transfer Spend

Read 25406 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers VS Rafael Benitez Transfer Spend.
      Reply #46: Aug 31, 2015 05:54:18 pm
      Unfortunately Brendan has had to work with the shackles of a committee, whereas Rafa didn't

There would have been a 'committee' in all but name when Rafa was here Orchard.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #47: Aug 31, 2015 05:58:14 pm
      The look on those faces shows they mean business.

I'm actually getting goosebumps thinking about that night.

Not sure if it's just the way the sport as a whole has trended or the quality of players in general, but that crop and that generation of players as a whole was a lot more respectable to me than these days.

You knew that when those guys put on the kit, they were fighting for their lives and fighting for the club and what it stands for every single game. Don't get that feeling much these days with most players in to be honest. Sometimes it seems like they're more worried about their paychecks and hairstyles than the club they're playing for.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #48: Aug 31, 2015 05:58:27 pm
      Forget net spend, I would prefer to judge a manager by his transfer successes and failures.
      Unfortunately Brendan has had to work with the shackles of a committee, whereas Rafa didn't, although Rafa was screwed by the cowboys towards the end, so he had his own problems.

Rafa proved himself to be a winner, I sincerely hope Brendan does the same.

Stupid comment.

Brendan is part of the transfer committee whereas Rafa had to put up with Parry buying players like Robbie Keane.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #49: Aug 31, 2015 06:01:09 pm
      I'm still trying to work out what the point of it is? Given pretty much everything about them is different.

Rafa had 6 years to win a league championship armed with a who's who of the world's best footballers to do it against fewer, weaker competitors, and persistently, repeatedly failed at it.

Rodgers got three years to make the top 4, and did so after two years. In that regard, he has ALREADY succeeded at the task he was given, and duly has a new contract to show for it. His task is exactly the same now as when he showed up. Atm, we're one point off with 34 games remaining to reel it in. I don't see any reason for the yankers to panic just yet.

:lmao:

So by this stage Rafa had got to two Champions League finals, winning one, a Carling Cup final and won the FA cup and WASN'T a success whereas Brendan has spent three times as much, won f**k all but has "already" succeeded.

And you wonder why people laugh at your posts.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #50: Aug 31, 2015 06:07:14 pm
      I'm still trying to work out what the point of it is? Given pretty much everything about them is different.

Rafa had 6 years to win a league championship armed with a who's who of the world's best footballers to do it against fewer, weaker competitors, and persistently, repeatedly failed at it.

Rodgers got three years to make the top 4, and did so after two years. In that regard, he has ALREADY succeeded at the task he was given, and duly has a new contract to show for it. His task is exactly the same now as when he showed up. Atm, we're one point off with 34 games remaining to reel it in. I don't see any reason for the yankers to panic just yet.

whatever you are smoking could you possibly send some over to JH.You do post the most offensive obscene bollox.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #51: Aug 31, 2015 06:19:26 pm
      :lmao:

So by this stage Rafa had got to two Champions League finals, winning one, a Carling Cup final and won the FA cup and WASN'T a success whereas Brendan has spent three times as much, won f**k all but has "already" succeeded.

And you wonder why people laugh at your posts.

He's the type of biff who I'll never forgive as a red during the last couple of years of Rafa..

For reds who I proudly think are the most knowledgable fans around there were many during the 09 time that were influenced by the media.. The media who openly didn't lije Rafa.. The media who didn't like he took Fergie on.. The media who didn't like that he defended us constantly to them and didn't give a F**k about them... The media who swallowed the sh*te being fed around H&G that a large part of our fan base took longer than others to realise what they were doing to the club.

The fact that we were top of the league and challenging for the title in 08-9 but some biffs that think they are reds were calling for his head on days we topped the table... That I distinctly remember hearing the phrase pushed by the media and used by other fans of fat Spanish waiter in our own ground..

They fell for it... They used it and it's probably a big section of those who now say they loved him and dream of those days

Rafa got us

Rafa won the European cup and got to another final two years after

He won us an FA cup

He got us challenging for the title

He gave me many wonderful nights

I tell you what give me those days or now and I know what I'd choose
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Aug 31, 2015 06:23:38 pm
      The look on those faces shows they mean business.

Except Babel, who looks as though Mascherano has just Farted in his face and he's holding his wretch in. :D
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #53: Aug 31, 2015 07:33:53 pm
      LFCAcrossTheWater is strangely silent in this debate (I see he is viewing the topic but not weighing in).

Lets face it if you were an owner with big money to spend Rafa would be a far better choice to give it to - nearly all rhe "big" money soent by him gave us a fantastic return.

Purely for the things he has won Mouringo can arguably be put forward as one of the best managers of all time - good chance he will win the Champions League three tines with three different teams but Rafa is in the same stratosphere whoch is why he is the current manager or Real And had managed two of Mouinhos previous teams in Chelsea and Inter.

If Rodgers fails here it is a long, long road for him toget to the levels that Rafa will achieve in his career - which other club woould back him with money at the moment?

Either Brendan turns it around this season or he will have to do an ibcredible job at a mid-table club before he gets the chance at another big club.

Comparing the two managers at the moment is comparing a ferrari to a fiat.

Rodgers had a lot of talent and can still pull things round but at the end of the day this is a results driven business - in managerial performance so far this season he is behind the likes of Gary Monk, Alan Pardew and Slaven Bilic. Admittedly so is Mourinho.

The
      Spent
      Mourhino
      Times
      Which
      To Get
      Would
      Incredible

Wow, thanks Balls - it is satisfying to read a post and then type out just the spelling errors without anything else...
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #54: Aug 31, 2015 07:37:07 pm
      He's the type of biff who I'll never forgive as a red during the last couple of years of Rafa..

For reds who I proudly think are the most knowledgable fans around there were many during the 09 time that were influenced by the media.. The media who openly didn't lije Rafa.. The media who didn't like he took Fergie on.. The media who didn't like that he defended us constantly to them and didn't give a f**k about them... The media who swallowed the sh*te being fed around H&G that a large part of our fan base took longer than others to realise what they were doing to the club.

The fact that we were top of the league and challenging for the title in 08-9 but some biffs that think they are reds were calling for his head on days we topped the table... That I distinctly remember hearing the phrase pushed by the media and used by other fans of fat Spanish waiter in our own ground..

They fell for it... They used it and it's probably a big section of those who now say they loved him and dream of those days

Rafa got us

Rafa won the European cup and got to another final two years after

He won us an FA cup

He got us challenging for the title

He gave me many wonderful nights

I tell you what give me those days or now and I know what I'd choose

Said it before Brendan was appointed. Would take Rafa back in a heart beat. Love the guy to bits...

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #55: Aug 31, 2015 07:40:04 pm
      The
      Spent
      Mourhino
      Times
      Which
      To Get
      Would
      Incredible

Wow, thanks Balls - it is satisfying to read a post and then type out just the spelling errors without anything else...

There's a difference between a typo (-graphical error because you are writing the post on a phone) and consistently spelling our manager's name wrong in a post in which you are criticising him but do carry on making yourself look ridiculous.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2015 07:53:26 pm by Hollywood Balls »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #56: Aug 31, 2015 07:40:34 pm
      Said it before Brendan was appointed. Would take Rafa back in a heart beat. Love the guy to bits...

I have let go of that particular dream he will never come back.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #57: Aug 31, 2015 07:47:17 pm
      I have let go of that particular dream he will never come back.

Never say never...

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers VS Rafael Benitez Transfer Spend
      Reply #58: Aug 31, 2015 07:54:40 pm
      Transfer prices have changed ridciculously over the last few years so as others have said, it's hard to compare them accurately.

What is important though is the way money has been spent. You look at the £10mill spent by Rafa for Alonso and we see Luis Alberto from Rodgers for not much less. The £26mill for Torres and then the £32.5mill for Benteke.

Rafa had his bad signings, but then I can't name a manager that doesn't. The important thing is that Rafa signed some real top class quality. Other than Coutinho and Sturridge, there hasn't been anyone that has taken your breath away. We had assembled arguably one of the best teams in Europe under Rafa where as under Rodgers, I'm not really sure what we have in all honesty. We certainly don't have team capable of thumping the likes of Real Madrid, certainly not when we are getting thumped by West Ham.

Would the likes of Sanchez turned us down had Rafa been in charge? I can't see it happening IMO.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #59: Aug 31, 2015 07:59:24 pm
      Quote from Hollywood Balls

In terms of the challenges they were originally given, one has succeeded, and the other has not. Debating success rates in cups is another discussion.

However, the media don't select players, tactics, win games, titles, or trophies. Coaches do.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #60: Aug 31, 2015 08:09:13 pm

strange to think that team didn't win anything
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #61: Aug 31, 2015 08:10:50 pm
      Love Rafa to bits, much more than I like BR personally. Not just as a manager and tactically, but as a person. But there's a couple of key differentiators between the two.

1) Rafa happened to be a Spanish manager, during a time where the Spanish national team was about to explode with success and become capable of fielding two or three full teams worth of players that could compete with anyone. He also was appealing to South Americans. Therefore, we - through Rafa - gained access to that entire market and signed some of the best quality young players. Xabi, Reina, Morientes, Garcia, Arbeloa, Torres, Masch, Lucas, etc.

2) He also came in when Stevie was hitting his prime, a homegrown player who was world class, that could captain and lead the team through thick and thin and was beyond reliable.

Regardless, end of the day one of these managers pales in comparison to the other in my humble opinion. My one hope is that by the time Brendan is done, we're still capable of attracting top managerial talent, like Rafa who can turn things around if we end up having a repeat of last season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #62: Aug 31, 2015 08:18:38 pm

thats isnt really the point they were in the mix Challenging just like Shanks from 66 to 73 we were a force and commanded respect now we are just whipping boys for Stoke andWest Ham
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2015 10:36:55 pm by waltonl4 »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #63: Aug 31, 2015 08:22:42 pm
      There would have been a 'committee' in all but name when Rafa was here Orchard.
      I've no doubt, at least at the beginning, that Rafa got to choose the players he wanted, then a bid was made, The Committee Rodgers works under is more involved in which players arrive at the club.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #64: Aug 31, 2015 08:58:06 pm

Hampered by too many brain fart results. Scoreless draws at Anfield with the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Fulham, etc. Way too many draws. Hardly any losses, though.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #65: Aug 31, 2015 10:06:49 pm
      There's a difference between a typo (-graphical error because you are writing the post on a phone) and consistently spelling our manager's name wrong in a post in which you are criticising him but do carry on making yourself look ridiculous.

Please tell me the edit you did wasn't for a spelling error...

Also, twice whilst hung over - hardly consistent is it Balls..? My point was that just posting a correction and ignoring the rest of the post is a dick move Balls, especially when you have made 8 errors in another post shortly after. You didn't read my post either, you just looked at it and picked a hole trying to make yourself look smart or funny.

I didn't criticise Rodgers - I made a statement that Rafa is a better manager, which IMO he is. Regardless of spend, as its all relative - Rodgers Net is hit by massive transfers out such as Suarez and Sterling. Its not fair to make a statement on his ability based purely on this, times change and whilst Rafa had to compete with the Chavs we have a totally different league when looking at spending power. Even the 'smaller' clubs are dropping mega money on players. F**k, the blueshites spent £28Million on Lukaku - in Rafa's time this would not have happened..!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #66: Aug 31, 2015 10:51:11 pm

Please tell me the edit you did wasn't for a spelling error...

Also, twice whilst hung over - hardly consistent is it Balls..? My point was that just posting a correction and ignoring the rest of the post is a dick move Balls, especially when you have made 8 errors in another post shortly after. You didn't read my post either, you just looked at it and picked a hole trying to make yourself look smart or funny.

No it was an error of syntax (google it).

You know it's incredibly funny when someone just ploughs on digging themselves a hole instead of just admitting they were wrong.

I explained to you the difference between a typo and a factual error and the fact is you don't even know how to spell the manager's name - now that I've helped you out people can take your posts more seriously and address all those brilliant points you are so desperate to get out.

Oh, but wait, you were hung over right? Sure everyone can spell someone’s name wrong occasionally if it’s a typo but you’re not that guy. You just don’t know how to spell his name.

I know there will now be a divided camp - however Rogers has kind of made his bed...

Why take of Firmino - why..? Rogers, what the f**k are you playing at?

Looking back over his 3 years here you can see that he has tried to replace established players with youth and a lot of this has been put down to NESV or the TC. I'm not 100% sure about this, I personally don't believe that Rogers can motivate players who are world class and that they decide enough is enough - they don't believe in him. We have lost a lot of players in the last few years - Agger, Suarez, Pepe, Gerrard to name a few...

Happy to help – thanks for playing son.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #67: Aug 31, 2015 10:59:58 pm
      In terms of the challenges they were originally given, one has succeeded, and the other has not. Debating success rates in cups is another discussion.

However, the media don't select players, tactics, win games, titles, or trophies. Coaches do.

You know, it's incredibly funny when someone just ploughs on digging themselves a hole instead of just admitting they were wrong.

One coach bought and selected "world class" players the other didn't. One coach won trophies the other didn't. One coach was wise enough to get rid of dross like Robbie Keane the other one has built his defence around dross.

Once again you have been proven spectacularly wrong. Hopefully Brendan will pull things round but, as of today, his record shows that he cannot be regarded as anywhere near as good a manager as Rafa.

FACHT.  :lmao:
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #68: Sep 01, 2015 05:55:36 am
      Hampered by too many brain fart results. Scoreless draws at Anfield with the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Fulham, etc. Way too many draws. Hardly any losses, though.
      2 losses in the league.

Spurs away.

Borro away.

That about it.

Quick Reply